What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell me more about Ron DeSantis (1 Viewer)

If anything this will be a boon to DeSantis in terms of politics, particularly as a contrast to Donald Trump. If you’re someone who agrees with the political positions of Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis, but can’t decide between them, here is a reason for you to support DeSantis: he’s competent.
This very powerful hurricane hasn't even hit land yet and you're busy in the spin zone for how Desantis is doing?
Not at all. I can’t stand the guy myself. But it’s pretty clear that you can’t compare him to Trump in terms of competence. At least that’s my impression.
He has more credibility because he actually has a track record of serving the public in an elected role. That is something Trump never had. Trump actually made it harder on himself with all of the in-fighting. I remember during COVID, he was blaming Whitmer and other blue state governors for not being responsible. At least DeSantis and Biden are working together during a hurricane.
I think you’re exactly right. Trump was always looking for someone to blame. And his first concern was how does this affect Trump. He is a narcissist of the highest degree.

I really don’t like what I know of Ron DeSantis. I don’t like his policies, and I really don’t like how he uses his political power to play to his base, the whole “eff the libs” stuff he loves to do. In that aspect he is very much like Trump. But in the end, DeSantis is a normal dude.

If anything this will be a boon to DeSantis in terms of politics, particularly as a contrast to Donald Trump. If you’re someone who agrees with the political positions of Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis, but can’t decide between them, here is a reason for you to support DeSantis: he’s competent.
This very powerful hurricane hasn't even hit land yet and you're busy in the spin zone for how Desantis is doing?
Not at all. I can’t stand the guy myself. But it’s pretty clear that you can’t compare him to Trump in terms of competence. At least that’s my impression.
He has more credibility because he actually has a track record of serving the public in an elected role. That is something Trump never had. Trump actually made it harder on himself with all of the in-fighting. I remember during COVID, he was blaming Whitmer and other blue state governors for not being responsible. At least DeSantis and Biden are working together during a hurricane.
I think you’re exactly right. Trump was always looking for someone to blame. And his first concern was how does this affect Trump. He is a narcissist of the highest degree.

I really don’t like what I know of Ron DeSantis. I don’t like his policies, and I really don’t like how he uses his political power to play to his base, the whole “eff the libs” stuff he loves to do. In that aspect he is very much like Trump. But in the end, DeSantis is a normal dude.
I really wish someone could run with Buttigieg 's shot across DeSantis bow --do we really want 4 more years of culture wars from a pugilistic authoritarian? From what I read, DeSantis wasn't always that way -- but of course, learning from Trump, sees how power can be wielded by doing things strictly to anger. A platform to move away from that would be best for all of us.

I really wish someone could run with Buttigieg 's shot across DeSantis bow --do we really want 4 more years of culture wars from a pugilistic authoritarian? From what I read, DeSantis wasn't always that way -- but of course, learning from Trump, sees how power can be wielded by doing things strictly to anger. A platform to move away from that would be best for all of us.
He wasn't the way he is now when he took over as Governor :shrug:

Didn’t seem like it the first year or so imo.

R’s shouldn’t mess with the culture wars, the D’s should in these midterms next election.

Didn’t seem like it the first year or so imo.
Right...seemed to go sideways pretty quickly. Initially I was pleasantly surprised.

DeSantis doesn't need to run the "Eff the libs" angle to win. That's the sad part about DeSantis.

DeSantis doesn't need to run the "Eff the libs" angle to win. That's the sad part about DeSantis.
Agree, its the new way of campaigning though.

No truer words...and it's not unique to DeSantis. I have no explanation for the fear of losing the fringes. They don't have to be pandered to. They are voting for whoever their party nom is. Like I said before, I was pleasantly surprised with him when he first took office. Now, there's not a chance I'm voting for him.

Just watched a briefing with him and other state leaders. Interesting comments coming from them with regard to insurance. Essentially said, "there should be two parties in the insurance transaction....you and your insurer. You don't need third parties intervening on your behalf, call our offices if you are having problems with your carrier"....paraphrasing.

I disagree. He absolutely has to do that to win the GOP nomination, especially if he ends up running against Trump. That's the one thing MAGA types like best about him

Of all the words to describe DeSantis, normal would not be in the top 50,000.

Sometimes a politician can make a poor decision on a vote. I can look past that.

Sometimes a politician can author and sponsor a bill that has good intentions but has unintended results. Such as The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act. I can forgive that too.
I just don’t get the thinking behind a guy from Florida voting against this.

The other bill you mentioned for instance had 95% vote for in the Senate so was accepted as a good idea at the time.

Sometimes a politician can make a poor decision on a vote. I can look past that.

Sometimes a politician can author and sponsor a bill that has good intentions but has unintended results. Such as The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act. I can forgive that too.

The other bill you mentioned for instance had 95% vote for in the Senate so was accepted as a good idea at the time.
But it turned out it wasn't.

Just like it was a terrible look for DeSantis especially for someone representing Florida. Maybe he wasn't quite use to being a politician yet. I believe was his first vote on any issue. So he probably needed a little time to understand how to play the political game.

Definitely not defending that vote.
That is the job of the federal government in time of a crisis to help an area devastated by a disaster.

Do you even know anything about the bill? These things are never as simple as they make them sound.
Here is a quote from a wapo article from 2013...

"Despite opposition from conservatives concerned about adding billions of dollars more to the nation’s debt, the Senate cleared the long-delayed bill, 62 to 36, after House Republicans had stripped it earlier this month of spending unrelated to disasters. All 36 votes against the bill were from Republican senators."

This wasn't comparable to aid that Biden has authorized.

Also as the victim of a large natural disaster, fema doesn't deserve a dime.

But it turned out it wasn't.

Just like it was a terrible look for DeSantis especially for someone representing Florida. Maybe he wasn't quite use to being a politician yet. I believe was his first vote on any issue. So he probably needed a little time to understand how to play the political game.

Definitely not defending that vote.
That is the job of the federal government in time of a crisis to help an area devastated by a disaster.
I kinda don't get this as an excuse. Shows lack of awareness and empathy for something that should have been a no-brainer.

Do you even know anything about the bill? These things are never as simple as they make them sound.

"Despite opposition from conservatives concerned about adding billions of dollars more to the nation’s debt, the Senate cleared the long-delayed bill, 62 to 36, after House Republicans had stripped it earlier this month of spending unrelated to disasters. All 36 votes against the bill were from Republican senators."

Defund FEMA? Is this real?

It was real under Trump:

Do you know what spending was taken out and if Desantis was still voting no? The process is pretty convoluted so hard to tell from what I was reading.

What is wrong with FEMA in your view?

Do you know what spending was taken out and if Desantis was still voting no? The process is pretty convoluted so hard to tell from what I was reading.

FEMA is terrible. Nobody knows what is going on. You get told 5 different things. They provide very little aid that isnt already available elsewhere.

I first thought it was just us because our income level and we were insured. But I belong to some groups for the marshall fire and there are still many people without insurance and are struggling that havent received squat or have received like 1000 bucks. Their answer for everything is to tell you to apply for an SBA loan.

My experience with FEMA started at the disaster center. When you walk in the place you are basically mobbed by FEMA. They are so freaking pushy with paperwork. I told them right away I wouldnt qualify for anything, told them we were insured and our income was almost certainly above any thresholds.

They tell you to do it anyway because there are just so many resources available that they provide. So we fill it out. It is a pain. You ultimately have to go online.

Well many days later we receive notice (via our destroyed address, lol) that our house has already been claimed. If we suspect fraud please call right away. So I call. Fairly painful process now since the property has been claimed. Pretty easy to claim it, very difficult to get it changed.

Of course eventually told our only option is an SBA loan...but...but...we can appeal.

I have not talked to one single person that didnt receive the exact same answer. It was absolutely the default response as we have later realized.

Think I am just critical? How about this from an NPR story...

"FEMA's own assessment shows it often fails to help those most in need. The agency did not respond to follow-up questions about its analyses, including whether it has completed additional income-based analyses since 2019.

Disaster experts and local officials have warned for decades that FEMA's approach to disaster assistance is fundamentally unfair."

Seems nobody has anything nice to say about FEMA. Maybe we should start believing them.

So any bill advocating for more money for FEMA should be shot down.

I realize you have to have something if for nothing other than having disaster centers wher people can ride out events. But any extra money is just wiping your butt with it.

It was real under Trump:

My link

FEMA is terrible. Nobody knows what is going on. You get told 5 different things. They provide very little aid that isnt already available elsewhere.

I first thought it was just us because our income level and we were insured. But I belong to some groups for the marshall fire and there are still many people without insurance and are struggling that havent received squat or have received like 1000 bucks. Their answer for everything is to tell you to apply for an SBA loan.

My experience with FEMA started at the disaster center. When you walk in the place you are basically mobbed by FEMA. They are so freaking pushy with paperwork. I told them right away I wouldnt qualify for anything, told them we were insured and our income was almost certainly above any thresholds.

They tell you to do it anyway because there are just so many resources available that they provide. So we fill it out. It is a pain. You ultimately have to go online.

Well many days later we receive notice (via our destroyed address, lol) that our house has already been claimed. If we suspect fraud please call right away. So I call. Fairly painful process now since the property has been claimed. Pretty easy to claim it, very difficult to get it changed.

Of course eventually told our only option is an SBA loan...but...but...we can appeal.

I have not talked to one single person that didnt receive the exact same answer. It was absolutely the default response as we have later realized.

Think I am just critical? How about this from an NPR story...

"FEMA's own assessment shows it often fails to help those most in need. The agency did not respond to follow-up questions about its analyses, including whether it has completed additional income-based analyses since 2019.

Disaster experts and local officials have warned for decades that FEMA's approach to disaster assistance is fundamentally unfair."

Seems nobody has anything nice to say about FEMA. Maybe we should start believing them.

So any bill advocating for more money for FEMA should be shot down.

I realize you have to have something if for nothing other than having disaster centers wher people can ride out events. But any extra money is just wiping your butt with it.
A lot of that does sound no good. I hope this isn’t everyone‘s experience. I do think this is a job and field that is going to be prone to serious issues, a lot of people in bad situations in areas that have just had the worst things happen.

Either they fix or replace this system. Not funding this seems like a very bad way to go.

Luckily I have never had to rely on FEMA or any of this type of stuff. I live in an area with mild weather :knocksonwood:

I do know if we have some natural disaster and some *** from the other side of the country is voting no on something that helps me because of nuance or suddenly worried about the budget I’m not going to really appreciate that.

Ronald will probably turn down this help

Irony alert on full blast:

“Migrants are reportedly being transported from New York City to Florida for work supporting cleanup efforts in the wake of Hurricane Ian—weeks after the governor put migrants on a flight to Martha’s Vineyard”
Sounds like a political gotcha to me.
If this is true I am guessing it’s third party companies looking to get in on federal clean up contracts.

As a kid, my brother and I would track hurricanes on paper maps and hope that they would come our way so we'd miss a few days of school. DeSantis is now reading minds, cause I don't recall any "rooting" by the MSM for Ian to hit Tampa Bay. Persecution complex gone wild.

>Desantis says the “national regime media” was rooting for the hurricane to hit the Tampa area so it would cause maximum destruction and death, which they could use against him politically.<<

As a kid, my brother and I would track hurricanes on paper maps and hope that they would come our way so we'd miss a few days of school. DeSantis is now reading minds, cause I don't recall any "rooting" by the MSM for Ian to hit Tampa Bay. Persecution complex gone wild.

>Desantis says the “national regime media” was rooting for the hurricane to hit the Tampa area so it would cause maximum destruction and death, which they could use against him politically.<<

Like I keep saying , I don't get the support for this dude - especially from people currently trying to distance themselves from the other guy.

Needs some voice coaching. Very whiny.
He's actually not a bad speaker when he's not politicking. His hurricane preparedness pressers were pretty good.

I know other non-MAGA Floridians can attest to the fact that he was seemingly a good governor his first few months in the office.

Last edited:
Whiny and combative. Poor people skills. No charm, doesn't engage well. Fake looking smile in photo ops. Had a buff look, but now appearing chubby. Destroyed by Gillum in the 2018 debate. Trump might do the same in a 2024 GOP debate. These things shouldn't really matter much, but they do.

Otherwise, he checks a lot of boxes.

He's actually not a bad speaker when he's not politicking. His hurricane preparedness pressers were pretty good.

I know other non-MAGA Floridians can attest to the fact that he was seemingly a good governor his first few months in the office.
He did some good things in the beginning related to marijuana (dropping a stupid Scott lawsuit) and trying to address water quality issues. It seemed like reaching across the aisle. Scott set a low bar, practically eliminating the words climate change from state vocabulary. DeSantis gets credit for a better economic recovery than NY and CA, although a lot of that was driven by virtual workers fleeing high taxes. Hurricane recovery is a great opportunity for incumbents, but I think he's made some mistakes post-Ian. And now his anti-woke battles look silly when homeowners insurance premiums, already the highest in the nation, will increase even more under his watch.

I will be curious to see how he handles pressure. I don’t get much info about him but when I see clips he’s usually getting wound up from a question.

Users who are viewing this thread