What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Celtics win East and now wait to see whether Luka or Kyrie suffer season-ending injury (37 Viewers)

Is Giddey getting traded this summer? He doesn't look like he fits what the Thunder want to do.

He would look great as a Piston though, we need another guard that can't shoot.
He's a difficult player to manage for a good team - to be successful, he needs to have the ball, but he's also not good enough to necessitate the offense being built around him. Kind of the NBA equivalent of a AAAA baseball player.

Bronny measured 6’ 1 1/2” at the combine. He had always been listed as 6’4”. I rescind my halfhearted support for him as an nba player.
With a 6'7.25" wing span, a 40.5" vertical, big hands, and weighing in 210 lbs.

Guys with similar measurements drafted as 3-D types - Patrick Beverly, Gary Payton II, Donovan Mitchell, Davion Mitchell, Immanuel Quickly, Miles McBride, Marcus Smart, Gary Harris... While shorter than some of those guys by an inch, he also has a plus 6 wing span, a much better than average standing reach, and he's built like a running back.

I have no concept if he will be good or not, but he's a really big 6'1.5" with somewhere between plus and elite athleticism. If he doesn't make it in the NBA as a 3-D player, it will be because he doesn't have the 3 or the handles to survive, not his physical profile.

Bronny measured 6’ 1 1/2” at the combine. He had always been listed as 6’4”. I rescind my halfhearted support for him as an nba player.

Guys with similar measurements drafted as 3-D types - Patrick Beverly, Gary Payton II, Donovan Mitchell, Davion Mitchell, Immanuel Quickly, Miles McBride, Marcus Smart, Gary Harris... While shorter than some of those guys by an inch, he also has a plus 6 wing span, a much better than average standing reach, and he's built like a running back.

I have no concept if he will be good or not, but he's a really big 6'1.5" with somewhere between plus and elite athleticism. If he doesn't make it in the NBA as a 3-D player, it will be because he doesn't have the 3 or the handles to survive, not his physical profile.
He was also measured that without shoes, which I get why they do so players don't try and scam the system wearing platform sneakers or w/e, but you can probably add an inch to an inch and a half to his actual playing height.*

*Disclaimer: this is not an endorsement of Bronny James as a player

The margin for a player with that physical profile to stick around in the league is razor thin.

He was also measured that without shoes, which I get why they do so players don't try and scam the system wearing platform sneakers or w/e, but you can probably add an inch to an inch and a half to his actual playing height.*

*Disclaimer: this is not an endorsement of Bronny James as a player
Which we have data for going all the way back to the 00-01 combine.

I hope I am wrong because I can't stand Kyrie, but I just don't see how OKC wins this series. The lack of playoff experience is showing.
Thought the same thing throughout the games in Dallas. Somehow, someway OKC got the job done in game 4 though. Really, really impressive for such a young team.

12/23 from the stripe for Dallas is crazy.
And OKC was 23/24.
It played out at the very end too. In the last minute Chet Holmgren and SGA went 2 for 2 while Luka and PJ Washington each missed 1.

Gotta wonder why Kyrie Irving wasn't more assertive. 9 points just isn't good enough. Gotta give the Mavericks bigs credit, they were all over the Thunder anytime they got inside. SGA's mid-range ability saved OKC's offense down the stretch.

12/23 from the stripe for Dallas is crazy.
And OKC was 23/24.
It played out at the very end too. In the last minute Chet Holmgren and SGA went 2 for 2 while Luka and PJ Washington each missed 1.

Gotta wonder why Kyrie Irving wasn't more assertive. 9 points just isn't good enough. Gotta give the Mavericks bigs credit, they were all over the Thunder anytime they got inside. SGA's mid-range ability saved OKC's offense down the stretch.
Yeah, idk what's up with Kyrie 2 of the last 3 games. FGAs of 8 in Game 2, and 11 in Game 4.

Outside of his season debut, and a game against Portland where he got hurt, those are lower than any game he's played this season. Just a bizarre time for his offense to dip like that.

Idk if they're looking at Luka going with 1 leg out there, barely able to run half the time, and telling Kyrie to take the ball up most of the game.

I know I'm not breaking any new ground here, but the difference between the West and East is staggering.
I think the Knicks were a legitimately good team when they were healthy, but the West probably had 7 out of the best 9 teams in the playoffs (the Zion-less Pels were trash). I think putting the Lakers/Suns/Clips against the S1 G1 Knicks would be no worse than a toss up for the West team, and I would guess all slight favorites.

The overall disparity between the conferences for the last 2+ decades is even more staggering when you consider 7 of the 9 smallest markets are in the west, which should be a huge advantage for the east.

Man phenomenal game and just a ridiculous ending by SGA. Luka being hurt is killing this team. He has almost no lift, no explosion - looks like a different guy than the entire regular season. It's really disappointing. Shows just what an amazing job Nico has done though, as before him, any injury like this to Luka would have the team getting blown out, not taking 4th quarter leads against the 1 seed. Doesn't help that they just let guys absolutely hammer him this entire series. Losing Maxi is hurting too.

Would have really liked to have that one. Worried that this is going to be a season of missed opportunities with injuries at the worst possible time.

Man phenomenal game and just a ridiculous ending by SGA. Luka being hurt is killing this team. He has almost no lift, no explosion - looks like a different guy than the entire regular season. It's really disappointing. Shows just what an amazing job Nico has done though, as before him, any injury like this to Luka would have the team getting blown out, not taking 4th quarter leads against the 1 seed. Doesn't help that they just let guys absolutely hammer him this entire series. Losing Maxi is hurting too.

Would have really liked to have that one. Worried that this is going to be a season of missed opportunities with injuries at the worst possible time.

I suppose but shooting 50% from the line is why they lost

Boston was unimpressive last night, as they are wont to do against shorthanded, hard working teams.

Jrue saved them with his best game of the playoffs. Guy was a huge difference maker on both ends of the floor. Tatum got his points (thanks mostly to 9/9 from FT line) but had 4 TO's and took a couple of terrible shots down the stretch.

I suppose but shooting 50% from the line is why they lost
Sure. But also making a lot of those fouls into and-1s instead of two shots would work.

It’s a 4-pt game and FT fight at the end. You could also say Luka going 2-9 from three is why they lost. If he’s 3-9 or 4-9 (he was around 40% all year) it’s a totally different game.

Saga not being Dirk level efficient from some really tough mid range shots is the difference in the game.

There’s a million things if you just box score watch.

Obviously ~6 more points, from any source, would be the difference in a 4-point game that was close the whole stretch run.

FAR more important than any other factor is Luka’s clear injury. An MVP level player is obviously hurt. And it’s getting worse not better. I dont think that’s a ground breaking hot take that the best player on your team being significantly hampered by injury is a problem.

How quickly the perspective changes...

From likely champion to can't perform a fundamental thing/near-MVP playing hurt/what might have been

Shooting barely over 50% on FTs, 20%+ below the league average. They're called free throws for a reason

That's the inexcusable thing, not Luka missing too many 3s

A loss is a loss

Last edited:
How quickly the perspective changes...

From likely champion to can't perform a fundamental thing/near-MVP playing hurt/what might have been

A loss is a loss
I said before we went in to my buddy - I think I’d have sat Luka tonight. The games are physical, long, and coming fast. He’s getting no recovery.

Yeah agree. I don’t think it’s over by any means, but if Luka continues to not get better physically (vs that 16-point first quarter where the shot was falling and he was looking better) it’s just gonna be sad.

I hope I am wrong because I can't stand Kyrie, but I just don't see how OKC wins this series. The lack of playoff experience is showing.
Thought the same thing throughout the games in Dallas. Somehow, someway OKC got the job done in game 4 though. Really, really impressive for such a young team.

I went to bed early because we are flying to Vegas this morning. What a pleasant surprise.

I went to bed early because we are flying to Vegas this morning. What a pleasant surprise.

Sounds like a gamble

Donovan Mitchell, Quickley and McBride obviously had way better offensive games coming into the league. Smart and Harris also had a proof of concept on offense. From what I know of Bronny, these guys aren't even close.

Payton has a skillset, but only really made it work in one spot that fit like a glove (see what I did there). Davion Mitchell is a really good on-ball defender, but not really an impact player due to limited offense. There's kind of only 1 Pat Bev and his personality, who built himself into a rotation player with a jump shot.

So, ok, could Bronny still be a rotational guard for several years? Maybe? But he is just not a guy I would bet on in any way at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread