What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (9 Viewers)

WR Isaiah Williams (IF he makes the 53-man) might another option for KR

Vaki will be a 4-phase STer day 1 but had virtually no experience as a returner (1 return in the last 2 CFB seasons) - might still be a good choice bc of his open field ability

Pretty stoked about this, was hoping they’d pull the trigger. ST ace & we need S depth.

@RapSheet

Free agent safety C. J. Moore is re-signing with the #Lions on a 1-year deal, source said. After serving a gambling suspension that took away his 2023, Moore is back in Detroit.

Dan Campbell won’t participate in the rookie minicamp that begins today in Allen Park due to a personal matter. He is expected to rejoin the team soon.

Dan Campbell won’t participate in the rookie minicamp that begins today in Allen Park due to a personal matter. He is expected to rejoin the team soon.
I hope everything is ok. This obviously makes me nervous but best wishes to him and his family.

Another writer tweeted at Dave Birkett “Is there any reason to be concerned?” and his reply was “No reason for worry.”

Just speculation but if it’s a tragedy-in-the-extended-family thing one reason to not immediately publicize is everyone hasn’t been notified. Could be wrong but I get the sense from reading various beats it’s known but they’re being respectful of his privacy.

Lions rookies have their numbers

0 - Terrion Arnold
15 - Ennis Rakestraw Jr.
33- Sione Vaki
59 - Giovanni Manu
73 - Christian Mahogany
94- Mekhi Wingo

Their numbers are in the same ascending order as they were drafted. ⬆️
I’m not sure how I feel about Terrion taking 0.
I don't mind it for a defensive player.

Assuming it represents the stats of the opposing WR. Sutton was hoping to do a similar thing, but was told he could not have 11-171-2.

QB Theo Day invited to rookie camp. Day played with Hutch at Divine Child and I stated before was the best HC QB I had ever seen.

College career was not outstanding so will be interesting to see how he does.

Lions rookies have their numbers

0 - Terrion Arnold
15 - Ennis Rakestraw Jr.
33- Sione Vaki
59 - Giovanni Manu
73 - Christian Mahogany
94- Mekhi Wingo

Their numbers are in the same ascending order as they were drafted. ⬆️
I’m not sure how I feel about Terrion taking 0.
I don't mind it for a defensive player.

Assuming it represents the stats of the opposing WR. Sutton was hoping to do a similar thing, but was told he could not have 11-171-2.
They said his requested number was too low.

QB Theo Day invited to rookie camp. Day played with Hutch at Divine Child and I stated before was the best HC QB I had ever seen.

College career was not outstanding so will be interesting to see how he does.
Someone has to throw passes Terrion Arnold can pick off.

I feel good about every positional group. I would give every group an A, A-, or B+ based on the starters, and we have at least one good sub for each positional groups.

The DB room has the most question marks of how things will shake out, but we have 4 or 5 CBs who are better than the CB1 and CB2 we were depending on last season. The only thing for certain is Iffy and BB will be on the field a lot. BB will probably play both NCB and safety. Davis should start the season as CB1, and Arnold, Rakestarw, Robertson and Moseley will compete for time. I feel good about having any of those guys on the field.

Hooker and Penix may have to be abstinent now, but they're going to explode all over the NFL in about 4 years.

I get having insurance to Goff, but a third round pick is an expensive policy that no one knows if it will pay off.
If he’s better than the average backup QB than a 3rd round pick is a nice value. He may even get a chance to shine and get us a better pick back.

Hooker and Penix may have to be abstinent now, but they're going to explode all over the NFL in about 4 years.

I get having insurance to Goff, but a third round pick is an expensive policy that no one knows if it will pay off.
If he’s better than the average backup QB than a 3rd round pick is a nice value. He may even get a chance to shine and get us a better pick back.

But no one has any idea if he is. It would have been better to find the next Bridgewater in free agency and use that 3rd on anything else.

I've seen people disparage taking Hooker and at the same time people be uneasy about not having a decent backup QB until we signed Bridgewater. Backup QBs are not worthless, it's not like they wasted a 3rd on nothing. Having Hooker spares them from having to sign some old dude every year, he's cheap and he'll know the system.

The Hooker as a wasted pick chat is wrong, imo. Perhaps, Goff continues to play well, not get injured and we don’t have to find out either way in the next short while, but if we ever have to, and he’s been scouted well by us and that led to us drafting him, then he has a better chance of having a ceiling that is higher than Goff, than any journeyman backup has. I’m willing to take that chance tbh

But no one has any idea if he is. It would have been better to find the next Bridgewater in free agency and use that 3rd on anything else.
On the flip side there was talk that he may have been a first round pick if not for the injury.
If he is that talented we have good insurance from a Goff injury or meltdown. Additionally we and the rest of the league should get a sense if he can be a starting QB over the next year or two. If so he would have trade value.

It’s a good situation to have and potentially gives the Lions an opportunity for continuity if they choose to not exercise their option on Goff’s 4th contract year.

The Hooker as a wasted pick chat is wrong, imo. Perhaps, Goff continues to play well, not get injured and we don’t have to find out either way in the next short while, but if we ever have to, and he’s been scouted well by us and that led to us drafting him, then he has a better chance of having a ceiling that is higher than Goff, than any journeyman backup has. I’m willing to take that chance tbh

If you have a need and you have the pick, nothing wrong with it. If Hooker is a good QB, a third round pick is an absolute steal. I would take having a QB like Hooker any day over a Bridgewater.

On the flip side there was talk that he may have been a first round pick if not for the injury.
If he is that talented we have good insurance from a Goff injury or meltdown. Additionally we and the rest of the league should get a sense if he can be a starting QB over the next year or two. If so he would have trade value.

It’s a good situation to have and potentially gives the Lions an opportunity for continuity if they choose to not exercise their option on Goff’s 4th contract year.

There is talk about players every year. A one point Malik Willis was talked about as a top 5 pick. Some rise some fall, but unless he gets on the field no one will have any idea from a couple of preseason games.

If Holmes is such a great drafter that 3rd round pick could have helped us last year and would help us going forward.

there was talk that he may have been a first round pick if not for the injury.
This pretty much sums it up. A late 3rd for someone like that who also plays the most important position in football is not a bad investment.

Preseason Lions games should get decent ratings this year.

I hope and expect the Lions will find a way to get some game action for Hooker. It would be great if they were resting starters in week 17 and 18.

As to Willis he was viewed as a project and went in the third round with a significant injury.

Holmes has spent third round choices on a probable one year rental on Carleton Davis and to get a big project in Manu. To me Hooker looks to perhaps be a better investment of a third. Though I’m a bit skeptical of Hooker because of his age.

Holmes drafts for value. Hooker was great value in the 3rd round...many had him projected as a 1st rounder if not for the injury. I just don't get why anyone thinks it's a bad pick. Drafting for need is never good.

There is talk about players every year. A one point Malik Willis was talked about as a top 5 pick. Some rise some fall, but unless he gets on the field no one will have any idea from a couple of preseason games.

If Holmes is such a great drafter that 3rd round pick could have helped us last year and would help us going forward.
Was it written in stone that Goff would have the year he did and we would be able to extend him?

Holmes drafts for value. Hooker was great value in the 3rd round...many had him projected as a 1st rounder if not for the injury. I just don't get why anyone thinks it's a bad pick. Drafting for need is never good.

As much as Holmes says he drafts best player available and does not draft for needs, they clearly focused their visits on CBs. So their best available list was full of CBs. Their picks are not completely void of filling needs. A future/backup QB was a need last year.

Last edited:
Seems there are conflicting reports....I think the 5th year is the option year, not the 4th. Need to see the actual deals and how the cap hit is spread around which should be available in the next couple of days.

Was it written in stone that Goff would have the year he did and we would be able to extend him?

There was already talk of extending him. They chose to wait a year and draft a back up.

Seems there are conflicting reports....I think the 5th year is the option year, not the 4th. Need to see the actual deals and how the cap hit is spread around which should be available in the next couple of days.

Where are you seeing a 5th year? CBS, NFL insiders on Twitter, ESPN, and every where else says a 4 year deal.

Users who are viewing this thread