What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Decline 5th year options for Harris and Fields (3 Viewers)

What a great start to the off season, but the end so far has been disappointing.. Might be one of the worst Wr cores in the league.

Is Van Jefferson the #2?
Roman Wilson is our WR2, just out of the slot. But Van/Quez are our WR3 currently.

Currently, we have the 2021 Titans Special. They had AJ Brown as their WR1, and an aged Julio Jones as their WR2 (434 yards that season). They were carried by Derrick Henry to a 12-5 record. Najee and Warren are going to combine to form Voltronhenry and lead us to success.

Though I still hope we make some kind of move for another WR that's in the top 50.
So our top 2 is a unproven guy, who has miles of talent, but still hasn't put it all together, and a rookie, with a bunch of bums behind them?

My expectations are starting to diminish. Guess all the talk about Aiyuk, and even Boyd, was just talk. Nothing serious.

Steeler1080 had a great point in a previous post. He mentioned the following..... It feels like we're going to trade for someone post June 1st, or pick up a WR during the cut down period.

Don't quote me on this but Michael Thomas is a post June 1st cut. In all honesty the Steeler's signing all these small ball fast receivers tell's me they either don't believe in Calvin Austin iii or they just want more competition in camp.

Steeler's invite QB from Pitt Phil Jurkovich to play TE. Another yawner for me.

Last edited:
What a great start to the off season, but the end so far has been disappointing.. Might be one of the worst Wr cores in the league.

Is Van Jefferson the #2?
Roman Wilson is our WR2, just out of the slot. But Van/Quez are our WR3 currently.

Currently, we have the 2021 Titans Special. They had AJ Brown as their WR1, and an aged Julio Jones as their WR2 (434 yards that season). They were carried by Derrick Henry to a 12-5 record. Najee and Warren are going to combine to form Voltronhenry and lead us to success.

Though I still hope we make some kind of move for another WR that's in the top 50.
So our top 2 is a unproven guy, who has miles of talent, but still hasn't put it all together, and a rookie, with a bunch of bums behind them?

My expectations are starting to diminish. Guess all the talk about Aiyuk, and even Boyd, was just talk. Nothing serious.

It takes two teams to trade. They may have tried and were told no. Not much they can do at that point.

Boyd is ok but not much better than what they have IMO.

And it’s only May. Lots of time for a trade to happen.

You don't get to spread a cap hit over two years (June 1) in a trade.

You can do that when you cut someone. June 1 designation has nothing to do with a trade

Of all the receivers they currently have on the roster I expect maybe 4 of them will make it to Sept.
Me too.. Pickens, Jefferson, Wilson, and Watkins..

I think Austin and Miller will be cut.

In terms of other team cuts, they aren't picking up anyone that will make a huge difference. They seriously need a #2 or better hope one of these guys have a career season.

Is Van Jefferson the #2?

It takes two teams to trade. They may have tried and were told no. Not much they can do at that point.

Boyd is better then Jefferson, Watkins, and Miller.. Lets be honest here.

You don't get to spread a cap hit over two years (June 1) in a trade.

You can do that when you cut someone. June 1 designation has nothing to do with a trade
My understanding was that you can't use a June 1st designation for a trade like you can for a cut. I.E., you can cut up to 2 players per year prior to June 1st, but designate them as a post-June 1st cut and spread the cap hit.

However, I thought that any trades or cuts after June 1st can be split between this season and the next. So, if they waited until after June 1st to do any trade, then the cap hit would be spread out over the 2024 and 2025 seasons.

Finding a copy of the NFL salary cap rules is difficult, but this is the explanation I've seen most often.

Of all the receivers they currently have on the roster I expect maybe 4 of them will make it to Sept.
Steelers often keep 6 WRs, they currently have 11 on the payroll. I think they end up keeping 5 and adding 1 somehow, through trade or pickup.
  • Pickens and Roman Wilson are 100% going to make the team unless something crazy happens.
  • I still think Calvin Austin makes the team, he's another season removed from a major injury and was underutilized by a terrible OC. I think he finds a way to carve out a role.
  • I think 2 of Quez Watkins, Van Jefferson, Denzel Mims, Marquez Callaway, and Scotty Miller make the team, with Quez and Van being the frontrunners.
    • All 5 of these WRs are on vet minimum contracts with Quez and Van at the exact same rate.
    • Mims probably has the highest upside (6'3" with 4.38 speed) but he allegedly is just an athlete, not a wide receiver.

Is Van Jefferson the #2?

Boyd is better then Jefferson, Watkins, and Miller.. Lets be honest here.
He is, but is also a slot guy

Steelers often keep 6 WRs, they currently have 11 on the payroll. I think they end up keeping 5 and adding 1 somehow, through trade or pickup.
  • Pickens and Roman Wilson are 100% going to make the team unless something crazy happens.
  • I still think Calvin Austin makes the team, he's another season removed from a major injury and was underutilized by a terrible OC. I think he finds a way to carve out a role.
  • I think 2 of Quez Watkins, Van Jefferson, Denzel Mims, Marquez Callaway, and Scotty Miller make the team, with Quez and Van being the frontrunners.
    • All 5 of these WRs are on vet minimum contracts with Quez and Van at the exact same rate.
    • Mims probably has the highest upside (6'3" with 4.38 speed) but he allegedly is just an athlete, not a wide receiver.
This is a great post, but for the sake of a forum,. I will disagree on Austin.. I think he has an uphill battle this year with them drafting Wilson and bringing in 3 guys. They signed Miller, and Tomlin likes these type of wideouts, so I think he will make the team.

The best thing for Calvin maybe to get on another team. Even if he makes this one, he is probably not getting many touches.

Seeing probably unreliable rumors that the Steelers will open on the road against Atlanta - which makes sense, actually. We'll see. I try to make a road game each year (went to Seattle NYE most recently) and looking at this one or Denver for 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread