What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collectively, A Thread To Celebrate Our Kids Athletic Accomplishments (1 Viewer)

Now he has 3 months at home. Morning lifts 6 days a week, batting 5 days a week, field work 2-3 days a week.

Arm is totally shut down for the next 5 weeks. Then he will begin a very light 20-30 feet for 5 minutes throwing program 2-3 days a week in late June. Ramp it up a little more first two weeks of July (90 feet for 5 minutes) then full throwing program last week of July and first week of August.
Is this a program dictated by the school or something he came up with on his own?

Having a break is critical and is being lost on parents in this crazy day and age of year round travel baseball.

Even so I always made sure he had breaks between seasons and at least a full month off in the summer.

I know many kids who never took breaks that he played with.

There were 4 TJ surgeries and a shoulder tear following his senior season.
Too many people are focused on pitch count and they don't realize that even with modest pitch counts the arm still needs to be totally shut down for 6-8 weeks (as a pitcher) for rest. Even with pitch counts if you pitch for 52 weeks a year you will break down. Muscles need rest and throwing is tough on elbows/shoulders. Just like you said, so many injuries because they don't get a complete break from throwing.

So her 3.33 will fall below it. I told her if she really wanted she could retake but not worry about it. It was you first in season year, you had 18 credits and taking honors engineering. She kept missing the same classes because of games and completely forgot about the assignments. Oh well still proud :)
In the end the GPA won't matter. Pass the classes and actually learn the stuff. The actual grades are secondary (other than the accolades but in the grand scheme those won't be critical in real life most likely). It's tough playing a sport and keeping up with engineering curriculum. Good for her!
Yep. She would have had an easy A is what is eating at her. She basically kept logging in and checking on stuff but for some reason forgot to scroll down to the psychology class.
So a couple B+ and all As minus that stupid psychology lol. Like I said hopefully she learns from it and knows how to manage her time and plan ahead. She's actually taking a full semester this summer so hopefully with nothing else going on she'll be more focused.

Doing way better than I did 😂 so trying not to sweat it lol

Now he has 3 months at home. Morning lifts 6 days a week, batting 5 days a week, field work 2-3 days a week.

Arm is totally shut down for the next 5 weeks. Then he will begin a very light 20-30 feet for 5 minutes throwing program 2-3 days a week in late June. Ramp it up a little more first two weeks of July (90 feet for 5 minutes) then full throwing program last week of July and first week of August.
Is this a program dictated by the school or something he came up with on his own?
No this has been our routine for years and years with his arm.

Having a break is critical and is being lost on parents in this crazy day and age of year round travel baseball.

Even so I always made sure he had breaks between seasons and at least a full month off in the summer.

Too many people are focused on pitch count and they don't realize that even with modest pitch counts the arm still needs to be totally shut down for 6-8 weeks (as a pitcher) for rest. Even with pitch counts if you pitch for 52 weeks a year you will break down. Muscles need rest and throwing is tough on elbows/shoulders. Just like you said, so many injuries because they don't get a complete break from throwing.
People also don’t realize position players need that as much as pitchers.

The sheer amount of throwing when you play competitive high school baseball between all the practices and games…..it’s a ton. Add in all this year round travel ball…..it’s crazy.

The sheer amount of throwing when you play competitive high school baseball between all the practices and games…..it’s a ton. Add in all this year round travel ball…..it’s crazy.
It seems to me that baseball is the most 'dangerous' sport for injury because of over use is baseball and it is one of the more popular year round sports too.

It seems to me that baseball is the most 'dangerous' sport for injury because of over use is baseball and it is one of the more popular year round sports too.
Nothing tops football.

Literally guaranteed to suffer injuries of some sort. Play hurt, get hurt….I mean it’s just so damn violent. Especially at the High School level where there is not nearly the same focus on player safety that there is in the NFL.

Even college ball is absolutely far more brutal IMO.

But baseball more and more is lending itself to arm injuries.

Dangerous is relative. It's only dangerous in as much as you not taking care of yourself. It's not dangerous where someone is going to come in blind side you into oblivion.

Most of these arm situations are 100% on the player for not taking care of themselves or listening to their bodies. 90% of it is preventable with proper arm/body conditioning and not overstressing yourself.

Nothing tops football.

Literally guaranteed to suffer injuries of some sort. Play hurt, get hurt….I mean it’s just so damn violent. Especially at the High School level where there is not nearly the same focus on player safety that there is in the NFL.

Even college ball is absolutely far more brutal IMO.

But baseball more and more is lending itself to arm injuries.
I didn't mean injury overall but more of the repetitive injuries that end up in all these arm surgeries for kids. Football is the top sport for injury of your 'mainstream' sports for sure.

I didn't mean injury overall but more of the repetitive injuries that end up in all these arm surgeries for kids.
The overall arm surgeries is a tad overblown with respect to all baseball players. It is getting a lot of press because typically the guys that it is affecting are the guy that are maxing out the stresses to achieve highest velocities. Those are the guys that usually are on the radar of being top prospects so they get more visibility.

Don't get me wrong, they have definitely gone up drastically compared to the past and that is a direct result of trying to max out velocity while also not giving your body time to recover/heal. It's a perfect storm for some guys. Improved strength programs, max stress to achieve max velo will lead to the weak link popping.......and that is the UCL.

Users who are viewing this thread