What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL New Orleans Saints Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Saints acquired the No. 16 pick, No. 19 pick, and a sixth-round pick from the Eagles in exchange for the No. 18 pick, a third-round pick, a seventh-round pick, a 2023 first-round pick, and a 2024 second-round pick.

It's a messy deal, but the trade boils down to the Saints buying a first-round pick this year at the cost a third-round pick in the upcoming draft plus future first and second-round selections. This isn't the first time the Eagles have acquired future selections at a discount as they got one of their three first-round picks this year by letting the Dolphins move up in the 2021 NFL Draft. The move also fits the Saints' history of being impatient with the draft picks they have. It's possible that the Saints are positioning themselves for a run at quarterback, though they may also see their roster as a few standout rookies away from being atop the NFC. Either way, Eagles GM Howie Roseman gets to continue stockpiling future draft capital while Mickey Loomis and the Saints are betting on their talent evaluators finding high-impact rookies once again. 

RELATED: 

Howie Roseman

, Philadelphia Eagles

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 4, 2022, 4:13 PM ET

Soooo are they thinking they're going to get a QB at 16 that makes this worth it?

As a colleague said, "if this trade is for a QB it is terrible but if it is for a non QB it is one of the worst trades ever."

I can't help but think this isn't over yet and that a next move is impending.

Any homers wanna weigh in?
I'm 50/50 on the trade. It's not a safe play, but there is some upside. Even without a QB.

Some Saints fans are throwing around the idea that the Saints somehow "know" that Sean Payton will return to coaching soon and that another team will have to send the Saints a first-rounder (or more, Gruden-style) for Payton's rights. And that all went into the calculus for this trade from the Saints' end

No idea if the Saints are going for a move into the top 5 for a QB, though I'm leaning against it. Keeping the two 2022 1st rounders and hitting on two cheap five-year starters at LT and WR is a good plan, IMHO. Have to hit on the picks, of course.

Here's a take from Saintsreport:

[Saints' GM Mickey Loomis] needs 2 rookie starters coming out of this draft to fill this years roster

O-line, receiver, defensive back (safety)

[Loomis] did all his scenarios and he believes no matter what other teams do[, the Saints] will get 2 rookie starters in the first 19 picks to fill the starting rotation

Soooo are they thinking they're going to get a QB at 16 that makes this worth it?

As a colleague said, "if this trade is for a QB it is terrible but if it is for a non QB it is one of the worst trades ever."

I can't help but think this isn't over yet and that a next move is impending.
Why do people think this is for a QB?  They have bigger holes to fill.

Well that is my point. It seems like a crazy trade if they don't have a specific target there but I gotta assume they like the board enough there to do it. I agree they have bigger holes and I am surprised they would do this today unless it is to parlay into a third move. 

Any homers wanna weigh in?
Not a homer and no idea but what I've seen some people try and say after catching up n news.

Daniel Jeremiah is leading narrative it's step one to accumulate assets to give up EVEN MORE to move way up in the draft to take a QB. I mean phew,  that's hard to think any QB in this draft is worth all of that.

Joe Banner is calling it one of the worst trades he's ever seen, for the Saints side. Saying what they gave up should have been enough to buy them a marquee player not a mid round pick.

Two popular lines of defense for the trade are:

1. Sean Payton will return and comp they get for trading him will get back some of the losses

2. They finally come out of cap hell next year and actually have a lot of cap space so priority is on cheaper labor this year and then ability to attack FA to fill needs next year.

Again I have no idea and my first thought it was what they were told was needed to obtain a Metcalf or AJB but I don't hear anyone credible saying that so I'm probably way off.

For sure seems like a ton to give up for sure in a draft the world keeps trying to tell us is not great.

I agree with you. My first thought is they fell in love with two players they think will be there and want both of them so they need two picks. Since it was just before the chargers maybe the first one is OL? They also seem bereft of weapons in the passing game(unless you still believe in Michael Thomas but boy did that go off the rails). So maybe a WR with the other mid-round 1st? Those could end up being GREAT players because there is definitely very talented players at those two positions projected to be available.

Of course they also gave up heaven and earth to acquire Davenport not that long ago. New HC is a defensive guy and there are ton of difference makers along the front 7 of this draft.

The timing of the trade makes it interesting and curious.  No team/GM makes this trade weeks ahead of the draft without a clear plan.

I'm intrigued to see what they do.👀

I think NO likes both Pickett and Coral. This increases the odds of getting one of them. But no guarantee. Imagine if PIT trades with PHI for 1.15, jumping 5 slots,  one ahead of NO, and picks a QB.

" I had a third-round grade on Penning, and that was generous."

LOL.....OK.  You're  about the only one.   He's been mocked in the 1st in every single mock I've seen.  Never even heard of the guy who wrote the article.  

With HB now in the mix and our draft, I'm not predicting winning the division, but it's without a doubt a possibility.  8-8 last year without Thomas and Winston going down.  Everyone is sleeping on this team.  I guess we'll see what Dennis Allen can do as a head coach with a real team.

Lots of naysayers not giving this team credit for what they’ve done this offseason.  Love the Iggles fans thinking they’re getting a top pick next year.   :lmao:

We weee above .500 last year after losing our QB and not having a WR play that was picked before the 3rd round.  Look at what’s happened.  Wouldn’t put it past us taking the division.  

Lots of naysayers not giving this team credit for what they’ve done this offseason.
We want this. The Saints have typically played best when expectations are low.

When the media starts giving props to the Saints, and picking the Saints to do great things ... that's when they always step in bucket.

That may well be, but that’s not the issue at hand. That’s 2 games on the schedule. 
Ok.  We face the Falcons and Panthers twice, both of which aren’t loaded with talent.  The middle of our schedule looks a little rough, but this is a better team than last year hands down.  Not sure if Jameis is the answer, but those still being critical of him absolutely didn’t watch his play.  He has a very friendly contract where the Saints can move on next year if they want.  The Buccs aren’t the same team of the past 2 years, and I get Tom is Tom.  He’s going to hit that wall at some point.  The Saints had an incredible off season.  I love the doubters.  This team should win 11 or more games.  

I'm not Nostradamus, but I can read the Saints' own tea leaves. They think they're in it. Whether that is correct or not is something we'll be able to tell a little better in the future, but they're gambling on themselves. 
They like Winston more than most, it would seem. 

Ok.  We face the Falcons and Panthers twice, both of which aren’t loaded with talent.  The middle of our schedule looks a little rough, but this is a better team than last year hands down.  Not sure if Jameis is the answer, but those still being critical of him absolutely didn’t watch his play.  He has a very friendly contract where the Saints can move on next year if they want.  The Buccs aren’t the same team of the past 2 years, and I get Tom is Tom.  He’s going to hit that wall at some point.  The Saints had an incredible off season.  I love the doubters.  This team should win 11 or more games.  
Agree with the bolded.

i actually did watch Winston’s play quite a bit, and I agree with most analysts I’ve read. It felt like they hid his faults through minimalism.

by all means, unleash “air Jameis” and watch what happens.  30/30 is good in baseball, notsomuch in the NFL. 

I’m not trashing NOS. They made some sharp roster moves and drafted a nice group of players. But until he really shows me otherwise, Winston is the weak link in that chain.

Maybe they do win 11. I doubt that’s enough to win the NFC South with Brady in your division, which was the original comment I replied to. 

Blow it all up. All the way. Saints have been kicking the cap issues down the road forever, Kamara is being wasted, still no long-term QB plan. Saints would have a top 5 pick next draft to go after a QB but oh that's right they gave that pick to Philly... Time to pay the piper and start over.

Is there any conceivable reason to bring Dennis Allen back?
Probably not, but to what end?

Any coach that wants full control won't even be interviewed. They didn't give it to Payton, they're not giving it to someone else. The roster, draft capital, and cap situations aren't attractive, which limits interest further.

The coach you attract to this job will likely produce the same results as Allen has. If you can let Allen go without paying him any money, it'd likely be best for all parties. He will be missed on the defensive side of the ball.

And who knows, maybe an Eric Bienemy produces a spark? He's probably desperate enough to take a 3 year low money deal to be the BMOC.

Users who are viewing this thread