What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (2 Viewers)

Next up... getting back into the gym on the regular. After that, maybe being more intentional on my food choices versus just smaller portions and less eating.

Great to hear you found something that's making a difference. Keep it up. Small changes add up when you keep them up over time.

If you have more issues with evening cravings, I've mentioned protein shakes making a big difference for me. I have 2 with lunch and 2 with dinner and I rarely am craving food in the evening. It's very noticeable the few days I don't have them. It digests slower and so helps limit them.
Man, that is a lot of protein, how much are you taking each day typically with those shakes and then whatever you eat?

Have seen that 25-35% of calories from protein can help you retain muscle as you're losing weight. I have been aiming for 30-35%. Above 40% is too much from what I've seen.

Today I'll end up with about 1600 calories, 136g of protein (4 cals each so 544 cals from protein). So 35% of calories from protein. The shakes are 24g of protein each and 120 calories. So they are 96g of my 136g of protein. I can't hit 35% without them unless I'm eating mostly meat.

A 1k cal deficit for me is about 1350 calories (enough to lose 2 lbs a week) not counting extra exercise. I did a 600 cal walk, I add about half back in as I found the full amount was too much. So 1650 is a good range for me to aim for so I'm right about there.
While high protein diets promote weight loss and muscle retention, 30-35% caloric intake from protein is really high.

I’ve posted the study in the longevity thread, but anything over 10% (animal protein) has been associated with increased mortality in middle age.
But wouldn't the likely cause of that be for the other things meat do and not protein itself? I would wonder what a study would show that a large portion of that protein being from protein shakes like Greg and limiting red meat. It seems to me that the likely cause isn't protein itself.
Read the longevity thread. Tons of protein discussion in there
Who wants to live forever?
The goal is to remain young as late as possible, ie. maximize healthspan.
I want to be as functional as I can be, as long as possible.
You are barely functional now.

Next up... getting back into the gym on the regular. After that, maybe being more intentional on my food choices versus just smaller portions and less eating.

Great to hear you found something that's making a difference. Keep it up. Small changes add up when you keep them up over time.

If you have more issues with evening cravings, I've mentioned protein shakes making a big difference for me. I have 2 with lunch and 2 with dinner and I rarely am craving food in the evening. It's very noticeable the few days I don't have them. It digests slower and so helps limit them.
Man, that is a lot of protein, how much are you taking each day typically with those shakes and then whatever you eat?

Have seen that 25-35% of calories from protein can help you retain muscle as you're losing weight. I have been aiming for 30-35%. Above 40% is too much from what I've seen.

Today I'll end up with about 1600 calories, 136g of protein (4 cals each so 544 cals from protein). So 35% of calories from protein. The shakes are 24g of protein each and 120 calories. So they are 96g of my 136g of protein. I can't hit 35% without them unless I'm eating mostly meat.

A 1k cal deficit for me is about 1350 calories (enough to lose 2 lbs a week) not counting extra exercise. I did a 600 cal walk, I add about half back in as I found the full amount was too much. So 1650 is a good range for me to aim for so I'm right about there.
While high protein diets promote weight loss and muscle retention, 30-35% caloric intake from protein is really high.

I’ve posted the study in the longevity thread, but anything over 10% (animal protein) has been associated with increased mortality in middle age.
But wouldn't the likely cause of that be for the other things meat do and not protein itself? I would wonder what a study would show that a large portion of that protein being from protein shakes like Greg and limiting red meat. It seems to me that the likely cause isn't protein itself.
Read the longevity thread. Tons of protein discussion in there
Who wants to live forever?
The goal is to remain young as late as possible, ie. maximize healthspan.
I want to be as functional as I can be, as long as possible.
You are barely functional now.
We are not discussing mental acuity. Pffft

It’s the animal protein, in part because animal protein contains greater density of amino acids triggering pathways of aging. But yes, meat (esp. red meat) contains other stuff that promotes disease as well.
Does whey protein (he watery portion of milk that separates from the curds when making cheese) cause that as well?

It’s the animal protein, in part because animal protein contains greater density of amino acids triggering pathways of aging. But yes, meat (esp. red meat) contains other stuff that promotes disease as well.
Does whey protein (he watery portion of milk that separates from the curds when making cheese) cause that as well?
Animal-derived proteins tend to be much higher in methionine and branched chain amino acids than their plant counterparts. The former is involved in specific pro-aging mechanisms, while the latter can promote insulin resistance.

Whey is high in all those amino acids, so yes, I think ingesting large amounts over long periods probably isn’t healthy.

:lmao: Shows how dumb I am... I thought whey was plant sourced somehow.

I did too. I had to google it.

I did too. I had to google it.
Ok, I feel better. :lmao:

I didn't realize that my heaviest weight I ever weighed in at was 344 just about a year ago (April 5), I lost about 15 pounds from then to Sept 18.... I weighed in at the Doctors office at 321 on April 24th and then I started the Contrave shortly after. I weighed in and I am 307 today so that is 14 pounds in a little short of a month dropped.

I can really feel the difference of those 14 pounds gone in so many ways.

Really, eye opening that my struggles with weight largely had to do with an actual bonafide addiction versus just a lack of willpower.... which is something I always beat myself up about. It is kind of freeing to not have those dramatic cravings and be able to lose weight.

Got the go ahead to exercise again. 26 day window to the next eye surgery to get in what I can.

Hit weights for upper body hard, had so much energy I upped most everything and it was probably the best session I've ever done. But I'm sure going to be feeling that in the next day or two. Worth it though.

Going to do an easy bike ride after dinner. Doing a Memorial Day 5k walk at work early tomorrow morning and don't want dead legs for it.

Did my bi-weekly InBody scan. Lost 4.3 lbs in the 2 weeks, which is good, I was losing a little faster than recommended before.

Comparing to 4 weeks ago:
Lost 13.4 lbs total.
Lost 9.7 lbs fat.
Lost 2 lbs muscle.
Lost 2.8 lbs water.

15% of weight loss was muscle. I will happily live with that especially as I couldn't strength train for all but one day of that time range.
Percent body fat went down 2%. Happy with that.

Sitting on the couch. Got up and it felt as if my knee had a bunch of rocks rolling around in the joint accompanied by mad clicking(probably meniscus). Pain swelling and instability followed. Can’t walk on it now

It’s the knee that has always given me trouble. Had an acl allograft done about 15 years ago. Destroyed that skiing about 5? Years ago. Choose not to have surgery again. It was already bone on bone in places. I’m really hoping to avoid surgery but I fear whatever last shred that was holding the knee together just finally let go.

Sitting on the couch. Got up and it felt as if my knee had a bunch of rocks rolling around in the joint accompanied by mad clicking(probably meniscus). Pain swelling and instability followed. Can’t walk on it now

It’s the knee that has always given me trouble. Had an acl allograft done about 15 years ago. Destroyed that skiing about 5? Years ago. Choose not to have surgery again. It was already bone on bone in places. I’m really hoping to avoid surgery but I fear whatever last shred that was holding the knee together just finally let go.
What the hell.... brother, we are getting old.

What the hell.... brother, we are getting old.
I will continue the good fight.

Did my bi-weekly InBody scan. Lost 4.3 lbs in the 2 weeks, which is good, I was losing a little faster than recommended before.

Lost 13.4 lbs total.
Lost 9.7 lbs fat.
Lost 2 lbs muscle.
Lost 2.8 lbs water.

15% of weight loss was muscle. I will happily live with that especially as I couldn't strength train for all but one day of that time range.
Did my first InBody scan the other day. Didn’t even know my gym had it available. It confirmed that I’m a fat *******, so that was nice.

I’m two months in sitting at 225, down 17 lbs. 35 to go by Dec 13.

Lost 13.4 lbs total.
Lost 9.7 lbs fat.
Lost 2 lbs muscle.
Lost 2.8 lbs water.

Did my first InBody scan the other day. Didn’t even know my gym had it available. It confirmed that I’m a fat *******, so that was nice.

So what is an InBody scan?

(I already know I am fat so if that is what it tells you, no need for that here!)

Lost 13.4 lbs total.
Lost 9.7 lbs fat.
Lost 2 lbs muscle.
Lost 2.8 lbs water.

(I already know I am fat so if that is what it tells you, no need for that here!)

You stand barefoot on two metal spots, and hold two others in your hand. It runs low amounts of current through you and measures the resistance. With various tests using that it can calculate fat, muscle, bone, in cell water and exterior water (blood stream, etc).

With 4 different spots it can run leg to leg, right hand to right leg, right hand to left hand, etc. So it can even tell you how much muscle each limb has.

There is some variation, not as accurate as a dexascan. But as it's a piece of equipment a regular gym can afford, it's more available/cheaper.

Lost 13.4 lbs total.
Lost 9.7 lbs fat.
Lost 2 lbs muscle.
Lost 2.8 lbs water.

You stand barefoot on two metal spots, and hold two others in your hand. It runs low amounts of current through you and measures the resistance. With various tests using that it can calculate fat, muscle, bone, in cell water and exterior water (blood stream, etc).

With 4 different spots it can run leg to leg, right hand to right leg, right hand to left hand, etc. So it can even tell you how much muscle each limb has.

There is some variation, not as accurate as a dexascan. But as it's a piece of equipment a regular gym can afford, it's more available/cheaper.
So Dexascan is the same thing but more accurate?

Lost 13.4 lbs total.
Lost 9.7 lbs fat.
Lost 2 lbs muscle.
Lost 2.8 lbs water.

My gym has a few of these as well. It’s kinda cool. Measures muscle mass, body fat, all sorts of things. Takes 30 seconds. It also stores your info so you can track progress, good or bad. I rarely get on it anymore. I did not too long ago. Status quo had been maintained.

Lost 13.4 lbs total.
Lost 9.7 lbs fat.
Lost 2 lbs muscle.
Lost 2.8 lbs water.

DEXA is a type of X-ray, which quantifies body composition. Initially it was used to measure bone density, for those at risk for osteoporosis, but the newer machines can measure bone, fat and muscle.

Although it has some limitations (not great at assessing fat around your organs), it’s much better than stuff you’d encounter in a gym. You lie on a table, and the machine creates images after a couple passes over your body. Takes a few minutes.

Does sound like a meniscus, but hard to say in a reconstructed knee.

The good news is, you have half a year to get it fixed, before ski season. And we still need to avy train!

And dexascan you're going to be paying probably $150 and potentially much higher at a scanning center. Not something you could get with a gym membership.

And dexascan you're going to be paying probably $150 and potentially much higher at a scanning center. Not something you could get with a gym membership.
Is it considered a medical test? If so, if I got a prescription for it... free to me (at least up to the end of the year)

Does sound like a meniscus, but hard to say in a reconstructed knee.

The good news is, you have half a year to get it fixed, before ski season. And we still need to avy train!
That’s literally my only concern. Well….i guess walking as well.

I tried to sign up for the last avy class about a month out, but it was sold out. Gonna have to move on that sooner next time.

Cause I know you guys care. :lmao: Swelling is going down. Knee is more functional. With less swelling comes more unstable movement and clicking. :oldunsure: can’t get that mri soon enough

Is it considered a medical test? If so, if I got a prescription for it... free to me (at least up to the end of the year)
Not sure, I haven't done a dexascan before. You could probably just google an imaging center near you and call and get info though.

12 visits to the gym in May without going at all the last 8 days of the month due to my knee. :cry:

Speaking of the knee. MRI scheduled. There might be loose bodies present which the surgical removal of which he would approve of. The knee is in such bad shape otherwise he’s hesitant to do a “clean up” (air quotes are his) without the loose bodies causing the pain inflammation etc. his concern that the invasive surgery will cause more harm than good and make things worse for me. :shrug:

he gave me a shot of kenalog which has been amazing. Got it Thursday and am nearly walking normally now. I may actually go the gym and totter about and do some light upper body and enjoy a sauna today.

Users who are viewing this thread