What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Future Of The Forum - And Big Thought On The Specific Problem (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then he should be suspended, especially if it’s so clear and obvious. I find it a lot less overall, and as noted, that makes those who overstep, especially those who do so repeatedly/ unapologetically that much easier to find (and weed out).

Again though, it still confounds me that so many complain when there is nothing at all that forces any of us to visit the forum. If it’s snark and negativity, why take the energy to go in, suffer that atmosphere, and then take the time and energy to complain (even if merited). I mean, if someone is so upset by the words on a message board or style of some posters, there are literally a billon other things one could do with their time. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

So I don’t get the motivation of coming to a place you don’t enjoy only to then complain about it (unless indeed there is some other motivation at hand). 
Some complain because they truly want/wish it were better.

Some complain because they truly want/wish it were better.
Agreed. And I think it’s not that difficult to discern those whose intent is to work for a better community, those who seem to complain for complaining sake and those who may be looking to make the issue look even worse than it is to perhaps just get the board shut down (some of this last group may also be part of the reason for the complaining in the first place).

To those in the first group, let’s do our best to be constructive so it’s not just #####ing but moves the community to better outcomes.

As to the second group, this is where I wonder if it’s such a negative experience, why continue to come here (whether you are left or right of center and I get they those on the right may feel well outnumbered - but again, if this isn’t a place you enjoy posting and participating, why waste your time and energy?)

The third group, and I don’t believe it’s large in numbers but the amplification effect seems to provide outcomes where that level of negativity far outweighs the number of folks actually experiencing/expressing it.  

The fact is, if you don’t like a gathering, an event, whatever, then disruption is a good means to get to a point where you ruin it for everyone forcing that event/platform to be cancelled. I’d hate to think we would not recognize this and work together to ensure it doesn’t happen, but I also understand that predicament of those whose responsibility it is to manage these boards within the context of running a business that is affiliated.  But, if your only goal is to disrupt or maybe even silence a board where you feel too many views that run counter to your own are expressed, it’s easy to throw Molotov cocktails and pick fights in a way to create a self fulfilling prophecy.  

it’s analogous to someone saying of the fights don’t stop, we are cancelling the school trip.  A couple kids don’t like the school trip even though the vast majority do.  So they start fights. Naturally, other kids fight back.  Voila! Trip gets cancelled.  Those who had no motivation other than ruining the fun for everyone have an easy way to get their goal, even if 95% of these other kids didnt fight back.

Within the context of these boards, I’ve seen a marked change of behavior overall recently. It shouldn’t be that difficult to see who may be complaining for complaining sake (and hey, it’s their choice to come here), but also those who may have as their goal disruption so they ruin a board that they consider a bastion for the left, a “cesspool” (again, then why would you be a part of that? Unless you want the “cesspool” to get bad enough that it no longer exists), or what have you. 

Without the rest of us masses piling on as we did a couple weeks ago, let’s dole out suspensions when warranted and not allow those whose goal may be to literally end all positive and productive discussion by simply being an agitator intent on doing just the opposite so the result is not discussion for anyone. 

Then he should be suspended, especially if it’s so clear and obvious. I find it a lot less overall, and as noted, that makes those who overstep, especially those who do so repeatedly/ unapologetically that much easier to find (and weed out).

Again though, it still confounds me that so many complain when there is nothing at all that forces any of us to visit the forum. If it’s snark and negativity, why take the energy to go in, suffer that atmosphere, and then take the time and energy to complain (even if merited). I mean, if someone is so upset by the words on a message board or style of some posters, there are literally a billon other things one could do with their time. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

So I don’t get the motivation of coming to a place you don’t enjoy only to then complain about it (unless indeed there is some other motivation at hand). 
Good question. I guess one could ask you why you visit after accusing Joe of letting people subjugate the truth on his boards too.  It’s probably best we all stop asking why others are visiting these forums though. 

Good question. I guess one could ask you why you visit after accusing Joe of letting people subjugate the truth on his boards too.  It’s probably best we all stop asking why others are visiting these forums though. 
I have been quite clear that my intent was never to accuse Joe nor anyone of purposefully subjugating that truth. My sincere thoughts were that the well intended efforts of the mods did, however, result in that outcome (which I have always believed is not at all something they would want, not to say try to foster). So let me be clear in that, so others no longer try to twist and misconstrue my words nor intent. 

Second, I’ve done my best to not make this personal and point out nor attack nor make examples of individual posters. It’s unfortunate that others seem to pursue that tact, but again, we can only control our behavior - including how we react when others may do something that upsets us, strikes a chord, or may even be legit out of bounds. 

I’ve tried to take responsibility for my misgivings here in an effort to treat all others with greater respect. That’s all I can personally do, regardless of the choice of others to do or not do the same. 

Care to unpack this?
Sure. I think there are people who deliberately make comments in threads designed to get a reaction. They don’t want a discussion or a debate; they want to be attacked. They desire to turn the conversation ugly so that people will complain and @Joe Bryant will get sick of it and shut the thing down. The rest of us need not take the bait when this happens. 

I highly doubt there are people here trying to get this board shut down.
Perhaps I am mistaken on this, and I do believe it’s a small minority - but my opinion (just my opinion) is it exists. 

Stopping discourse can be a valuable weapon / tool.  But I hope I am wrong and that is not anyone’s intent. Two things either way.

1. Regardless of other posters intent, even if it may be malicious in nature, we can all only do our best to respond - or not respond - in a responsible manner. 

2. If that is not someone’s intent but they feel a board/community is so terrible that they actually say it should be shut down, why not just not visit that forum? I don’t go to FFTODAY and demand it be shut down, nor 4Chan or other outlets. I have respect for the freedom of speech and discourse enough to say allow those who want to engage in that manner to have their community. I choose to not be a part of it but won’t actively ask or state it should be shut down. So, if for some this forum has little or no value or they don’t enjoy participating, why ask, or suggest it be shut down rather than simply choose to go elsewhere and allow those who do enjoy and want to participate to keep doing so. 

Sure, but that is different than trying to shut it down.
This is a most valid point. My personal opinion is both exist (some want it shut, some may actively act in a manner to promote that end).

I still come back to the fact that if you don’t like it there’s everywhere else to go rather than here, and with many of us at least trying to behave in a more cordial and understanding manner, those who don’t abide by the rules can be more easily spotted and suspended etc. 

We may have a gut feeling as to the motivations of others but as folks have pointed out, guessing another’s motivation is a dangerous game. Better to simply react/respond in a manner that is deserving of being a member of this community, not attack nor guess another’s behavior nor motivation, and just try to be better human beings.

Myself certainly included. 

Sure. I think there are people who deliberately make comments in threads designed to get a reaction. They don’t want a discussion or a debate; they want to be attacked. They desire to turn the conversation ugly so that people will complain and @Joe Bryant will get sick of it and shut the thing down. The rest of us need not take the bait when this happens. 
This.   If which many of us, myself included, have been guilty of doing.

As I said above though, the motivation of another poster should not matter. The substance of their posts and our responsibility to respond in a mature and productive manner IS what matters. 

The problem is most posters take the bait and continue the fight.  The snarky comments have ncreased the past few days.

Perhaps I am mistaken on this, and I do believe it’s a small minority - but my opinion (just my opinion) is it exists. 

Stopping discourse can be a valuable weapon / tool.  But I hope I am wrong and that is not anyone’s intent. Two things either way.

1. Regardless of other posters intent, even if it may be malicious in nature, we can all only do our best to respond - or not respond - in a responsible manner. 

2. If that is not someone’s intent but they feel a board/community is so terrible that they actually say it should be shut down, why not just not visit that forum? I don’t go to FFTODAY and demand it be shut down, nor 4Chan or other outlets. I have respect for the freedom of speech and discourse enough to say allow those who want to engage in that manner to have their community. I choose to not be a part of it but won’t actively ask or state it should be shut down. So, if for some this forum has little or no value or they don’t enjoy participating, why ask, or suggest it be shut down rather than simply choose to go elsewhere and allow those who do enjoy and want to participate to keep doing so. 

My belief is some posters get a kick out of inflaming liberals even if it might frustrate them at times too.  But mostly they are having fun.  However, if this back-and-forth ends up resulting in the Joe shutting things down, they will see that as a "win" for their political side and the schadenfreude will be strong.  

(This is no way excuses the behavior of some  liberal posters who can be snarky and condescending among other faults.)

On the snark aspect this is going to be nearly impossible contain, many due to how people interpret what is written.  As has been talked about before, the written word is a tricky thing as it doesn’t have the benefit of tone, tenor or body language. This largely then leaves it up to 2 things, the person writing the post’s skill set at getting their point across effectively and how the person reading it “hears it” in their head when reading it.  This leaves room for TONS of interpretations.  Sometimes it’s clear and obvious to everyone, sometimes not so much.  

I have been quite clear that my intent was never to accuse Joe nor anyone of purposefully subjugating that truth. My sincere thoughts were that the well intended efforts of the mods did, however, result in that outcome (which I have always believed is not at all something they would want, not to say try to foster). So let me be clear in that, so others no longer try to twist and misconstrue my words nor intent. 

Second, I’ve done my best to not make this personal and point out nor attack nor make examples of individual posters. It’s unfortunate that others seem to pursue that tact, but again, we can only control our behavior - including how we react when others may do something that upsets us, strikes a chord, or may even be legit out of bounds. 

I’ve tried to take responsibility for my misgivings here in an effort to treat all others with greater respect. That’s all I can personally do, regardless of the choice of others to do or not do the same. 
To answer your original question I think people visit here because they are interested in discussing politics and learning about issues and others thoughts on issues.  Sure, some are seemingly here just to argue and not here the other side of a discussion but you nor I can control that either.  

I wish Joe and Maurile luck on achieving what they want here.  I've tried to be more of a lurker in the last week to see how the changes are going to play out and only popped into a discussion here and there.  For a few days I was reading better discussions but there's a handful of guys (and some on both sides) that are mostly snark and here to get in an insult or zinger.  From my view, the discussions are back to where they were a few weeks ago again.

I don't think anyone here is trying to get the board shut down.  I think there are several here that lack self-awareness to realize they are part of the issue and they assume it's the guy on the other side.  Maybe I'm wrong about that but I'm more than happy if you or Tim want to PM me who (and how) you think is trying to shut this place down.

I should also add, I did indeed take a year off from any substantive posting, though I did come by to lurk quite a bit.  I recognized the boards had become a negative force in my life, and that I'd become a negative force on this community.

Upon returning and falling into some old bad habits, I am now doing my best to adjust my behavior. The ol' adage "be the change you want to see" and hope that is indeed what is occurring - and if not, I'm willing to accept direction and recommendations, so feel free to shoot me a PM if somehow you don't believe my contributions are in the spirit of fostering more positive discourse.

My belief is some posters get a kick out of inflaming liberals even if it might frustrate them at times too.  But mostly they are having fun.  However, if this back-and-forth ends up resulting in the Joe shutting things down, they will see that as a "win" for their political side and the schadenfreude will be strong.  

(This is no way excuses the behavior of some  liberal posters who can be snarky and condescending among other faults.)
Very good points.

To answer your original question I think people visit here because they are interested in discussing politics and learning about issues and others thoughts on issues.  Sure, some are seemingly here just to argue and not here the other side of a discussion but you nor I can control that either.  

I wish Joe and Maurile luck on achieving what they want here.  I've tried to be more of a lurker in the last week to see how the changes are going to play out and only popped into a discussion here and there.  For a few days I was reading better discussions but there's a handful of guys (and some on both sides) that are mostly snark and here to get in an insult or zinger.  From my view, the discussions are back to where they were a few weeks ago again.

I don't think anyone here is trying to get the board shut down.  I think there are several here that lack self-awareness to realize they are part of the issue and they assume it's the guy on the other side.  Maybe I'm wrong about that but I'm more than happy if you or Tim want to PM me who (and how) you think is trying to shut this place down.
Appreciate this well thought out response.  I think as to "who" may or may not be "trying" to shut the boards down I'll stick to doing my best to not guess as to a poster's motivation.  As others have said, we sometimes react to the poster moreso than the post, and that's a recipe for negativity and poor discourse.  Instead, regardless of a poster's intentions, I'll do my best to address the substantive issues, stay on topic, and most of all, be respectful to all on this board. 

And, if/when I don't achieve those aims, please feel free to PM me as I'll take it in stride and as a positive (of course, that's up to you, hardly your responsibility to keep me or others in check... but it's welcome if you do so on my end)

Okay, I don't post in this forum often because it isn't worth it. Joe's assertion this place is an 85/15 split of anti-Trump vs pro-Trump is waaayyy off. This place is 95/5 and I am being generous with that conclusion. Right now there are less than 6-8 Trump supporters on this site out of over 50,000 members. Do some of them come in and troll? Yep, they do, but some of them try and make actual points--which is then interpreted as trolling. If someone says they don't think Trump is doing a bad job--that isn't trolling, that is their opinion. which is then met with three pages of piling on and insults. 

As someone who has been here since Cheatsheet days and a constant paid subscriber, I applaud Joe for what him and MT are attempting, but IMO it won't work. Think about it--just put 6 people on  ignore and every thread would just go forward smoothly because there simply wouldn't be any dissenting thoughts for pages and pages-it would just be 15 pages of people agreeing Trump sucks. However, people just can't help themselves--the minute a different thought is introduced.,they have to pile on and insult someone and away we go. 

I stand by my hypothesis that the minute Trump is voted out, this forum is going to be a ghost town anyway. 

Okay, I don't post in this forum often because it isn't worth it. Joe's assertion this place is an 85/15 split of anti-Trump vs pro-Trump is waaayyy off. This place is 95/5 and I am being generous with that conclusion. Right now 
That is the result of forum polls, not blind conjecture.

Okay, I don't post in this forum often because it isn't worth it. Joe's assertion this place is an 85/15 split of anti-Trump vs pro-Trump is waaayyy off. This place is 95/5 and I am being generous with that conclusion. Right now there are less than 6-8 Trump supporters on this site out of over 50,000 members. Do some of them come in and troll? Yep, they do, but some of them try and make actual points--which is then interpreted as trolling. If someone says they don't think Trump is doing a bad job--that isn't trolling, that is their opinion. which is then met with three pages of piling on and insults. 

As someone who has been here since Cheatsheet days and a constant paid subscriber, I applaud Joe for what him and MT are attempting, but IMO it won't work. Think about it--just put 6 people on  ignore and every thread would just go forward smoothly because there simply wouldn't be any dissenting thoughts for pages and pages-it would just be 15 pages of people agreeing Trump sucks. However, people just can't help themselves--the minute a different thought is introduced.,they have to pile on and insult someone and away we go. 

I stand by my hypothesis that the minute Trump is voted out, this forum is going to be a ghost town anyway. 
:goodposting:

Nailed it , imo

Right now there are less than 6-8 Trump supporters on this site out of over 50,000 members. 
This is not a fair comparison at all. We have no idea how many of those 50,000 are Trump supporters. All we know is that there are at most three  dozen people who post in the political forum on a regular basis; of those, perhaps 10 or so are Trump supporters. Certainly a minority, but not anything close to a 95-5 margin. 

I have to point out something that has become an obvious fact: the vast majority of those who believe that the attempts to regulate this place will fail and that it will be shut down are either Trump supporters or are conservatives who tend to be defensive of Trump supporters, and especially defensive of those few Trump supporters who troll on occasion. I don’t know why this is, but I think it’s important to draw attention to. 

This is not a fair comparison at all. We have no idea how many of those 50,000 are Trump supporters. All we know is that there are at most three  dozen people who post in the political forum on a regular basis; of those, perhaps 10 or so are Trump supporters. Certainly a minority, but not anything close to a 95-5 margin. 
Okay, then help me out. Name 10---I'll start John B, super, DN, HT, tony, bb maybe jon-mix, um....can't count me because I don't post here.....who else? Keeping in mind I lurk a lot here during the day--every day. There simply isn't that many left, Tim. 

And to respond to your later post about the people who think the efforts will fail, you are absolutely 100% correct in your observation because the 6-8  posters who think this, are the ones whose voices are shouted down, so why should they be invested in the ultimate success of such of forum?  

To be clear, I am so thankful Joe isolated all this nonsense/hatred to this forum. I love the FFA--my life/job are stressful enough--I want a place to talk to people about fun stuff. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, then help me out. Name 10---I'll start John B, super, DN, HT, maybe jon-mix, um....can't count me because I don't post here.....who else? Keeping in mind I lurk a lot here during the day--every day. There simply isn't that many left, Tim. 

And to respond to your later post about the people who think the efforts will fail, you are absolutely 100% correct in your observation because the 6-8  posters who think this, are the ones whose voices are shouted down, so why should they be invested in the ultimate success of such of forum?  

To be clear, I am so thankful Joe isolated all this nonsense/hatred to this forum. I love the FFA--my life/job are stressful enough--I want a place to talk to people about fun stuff. 
Why would they stick around then?

Why would they stick around then?
Maybe because a lot of them are like me who have been with Joe since the beginning and want to continue to support this great place. Politicians come and go, but FBG has been our home throughout some of the most memorable times in our recent history. I learned of the first plane on 9-11 on this board. I was one of the hundreds that were hitting F5 during the OJ verdict, Columbine, the Shock and Awe campaign., countless elections were played out live on this board. 

Why should they leave because one side doesn't like the results of one election? 

Courtjester said:

Hey CJ - you should post in here more often as you are always level headed.  I think you are right about some posters on both sides needing to put each other on ignore or not engage or they should get timeouts.  I do think there’s the appearance of piling on and it definitely happens but if someone does come here to discuss things and you only have the 6-8 people to discuss with then they are going to get a lot more replies to their posts than others.  I do hope they keep suspending people who aren’t engaging in discussion and I do think things are better and will continue to get better.

From Arthur Brooks, these are some ways contempt is displayed:

Cutting sarcasm towards another.

Mocking another person.

Sneering at another person. 

Hostile humor at the expense of another.

Eye rolling towards the other person. 

All those can signal to the other person you feel they are inferior. That you may be disgusted with them. And worst of all, that you’re past the point of reasonable discussion. 

Brooks talks about his study of “Motive Attribution Asymmetry”. That’s the dangerous and destructive assumption that your ideology is based in love. While your opponent’s is based in hate. I think it’s absolutely the biggest problem we face on this board and it’s why our dialog has devolved to where it has. This isn’t about Trump. This is about us. 

From the New York Times article

"A 2014 article in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences on “motive attribution asymmetry” — the assumption that your ideology is based in love, while your opponent’s is based in hate — suggests an answer. The researchers found that the average Republican and the average Democrat today suffer from a level of motive attribution asymmetry that is comparable with that of Palestinians and Israelis. Each side thinks it is driven by benevolence, while the other is evil and motivated by hatred — and is therefore an enemy with whom one cannot negotiate or compromise."

This has been us. 

And if we don’t change, it’ll be the end of the forums. 
All this is way down on this board.  Suggesting that it isn't seems incredibly odd to me.  This is Joe's request for how we approach each other on this board.  Of course there is snark towards politicians and political situations.  I doubt that ever stops completely.  I'd argue that is even down a little bit.  Speaking personally, it's hard for me to watch what's going on and not make a smartass comment about politicians and the situations they are creating.  It's truly unbelievable, the times we are living in.  That doesn't seem to be the main concern for Joe.  Joe's concern is for how we treat each other.  That has changed a good bit best I can tell.  YMMV :shrug:  

All this is way down on this board.  Suggesting that it isn't seems incredibly odd to me.  This is Joe's request for how we approach each other on this board.  Of course there is snark towards politicians and political situations.  I doubt that ever stops completely.  I'd argue that is even down a little bit.  Speaking personally, it's hard for me to watch what's going on and not make a smartass comment about politicians and the situations they are creating.  It's truly unbelievable, the times we are living in.  That doesn't seem to be the main concern for Joe.  Joe's concern is for how we treat each other.  That has changed a good bit best I can tell.  YMMV :shrug:  
The bolded is continually used as a cop out to support poor behavior in here and it’s an excuse that could be said during any presidency. Just be better and there won’t be a need for this excuse which doesn’t hold water. 

Yep - how we treat each other and not generalizing groups - I think the latter still goes on some and leads to the back and forth but things seem undeniably better - there used to be pages of back and forth in several threads.  Hopefully this has lessened the burden on the mods and we can get more discussion going.

Yes. My concern here for this board is how we treat each other here on this board. I continue to think the relationship and how we interact with each other is hugely important. 

And I do think it's been better. Thanks. 

Courtjester said:
Okay, I don't post in this forum often because it isn't worth it. Joe's assertion this place is an 85/15 split of anti-Trump vs pro-Trump is waaayyy off. This place is 95/5 and I am being generous with that conclusion.
It’s about 87-13. Here’s some data.

timschochet said:
I have to point out something that has become an obvious fact: the vast majority of those who believe that the attempts to regulate this place will fail and that it will be shut down are either Trump supporters or are conservatives who tend to be defensive of Trump supporters, and especially defensive of those few Trump supporters who troll on occasion. I don’t know why this is, but I think it’s important to draw attention to. 
That’s your opinion, not an obvious fact.

Courtjester said:
Okay, then help me out. Name 10
In no particular order: 

1. Don’t Noonan

2. Knowledge Dropper 

3. GoBirds 

4. JohnnyU 

5. John Blutarsky 

6. HellToupee

7. Bozeman Bruiser 

8. Stealthycat 

9. Widbil83

10. Max Power 

That’s just off the top of my head. I’m probably missing a few. There are also a few posters who, while not Trump supporters, are generally defensive of Trump supporters: Jon Mx, Ramblin Wreck, Cowboyfan21, tonydead come to mind. 

That’s your opinion, not an obvious fact.
I don’t think so. I could prove it to you if I wanted to by going back through this thread and the other thread about possibly shutting down this forum and examining each person who has either called for it to be shut down or predicted that it would be. But I’m too lazy. You can do it if you want. It’s not an opinion though; I know I’m  right about this. 

In no particular order: 

1. Don’t Noonan

2. Knowledge Dropper 

3. GoBirds 

4. JohnnyU 

5. John Blutarsky 

6. HellToupee

7. Bozeman Bruiser 

8. Stealthycat 

9. Widbil83

10. Max Power 

That’s just off the top of my head. I’m probably missing a few. There are also a few posters who, while not Trump supporters, are generally defensive of Trump supporters: Jon Mx, Ramblin Wreck, Cowboyfan21, tonydead come to mind. 
I'm curious what the bolded means? 

Is there motivation to support the poster, or that they share the same opinion of the poster. 

I don’t think so. I could prove it to you if I wanted to by going back through this thread and the other thread about possibly shutting down this forum and examining each person who has either called for it to be shut down or predicted that it would be. But I’m too lazy. You can do it if you want. It’s not an opinion though; I know I’m  right about this. 
While I think your assertion is correct, you can’t call it a fact without proving it.  

I'm curious what the bolded means? 

Is there motivation to support the poster, or that they share the same opinion of the poster. 
They don’t necessarily share the same opinion, at least not expressly so, but they tend to stick up for those who support Trump, here and elsewhere. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread