What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (2 Viewers)

The reason why Jay White isn't on the Forbidden Door card is likely because he lost a “LOSER LEAVES NJPW” match and can not wrestle on any New Japan shows.

But but but they won’t sell well what are they doing?

At press time, All In is at ~66,500 tickets paid and with an $8.35 million gate at Wembley Stadium.

It is now the second largest paid attendance for a pro wrestling show in history.

The largest since WrestleMania in 2016, which is the all-time record and would be difficult for this show to break, but not impossible.

WON: Despite reports to the contrary, CM Punk's "Counterfeit Bucks" promo line wasn't known by both sides ahead of time.

Punk's camp has told WON what Punk said publicly in the ESPN interview: that he's tried to reach out to the Bucks in the past and was not allowed to contact them.

However, the Young Bucks camp says no attempts have been made by Punk. Meltzer speculates its possible Punk was told by a lawyer not to speak to the Bucks again and the lawyer never relayed the message.

One top star told Meltzer on Wednesday that they went home in a bad mood, as even with the sides being kept apart, they felt like it's a ticking timebomb that will not have a happy ending.

WON: "A large percentage" of the AEW locker room still believe CM Punk got Colt Cabana fired and "to this day many claim they know as a fact based on what is known internally" that it was because of Punk.

Dave Meltzer adds that "many" top stars not affiliated with the Elite have told him directly that they believe Punk had something to do with it. With two outright saying they "know" otherwise.

Cabana is currently signed to Ring Of Honor.

Okada on if he’ll ever have a match against CM Punk:

“I’m not sure,” he said, laughing, through an interpreter. “The Young Bucks are kind of friends of mine”

WON: "A large percentage" of the AEW locker room still believe CM Punk got Colt Cabana fired and "to this day many claim they know as a fact based on what is known internally" that it was because of Punk.

Dave Meltzer adds that "many" top stars not affiliated with the Elite have told him directly that they believe Punk had something to do with it. With two outright saying they "know" otherwise.

Honestly, who gives a flying **** about Cabana. Dude can't draw a dime and was only there because he was buddies with the EVPs.

As Punk said, this is the wrestling BUSINESS.

Yes yes yes All In for Giulia? She’s from London original

GUILIA COMING TO THE US?!?!?!

STARDOM standout Giulia tells Tokyo Sports that she is eager to participate in overseas promotions around July-September of this year.

"This world is huge. However, I have yet to work abroad. I want to flap my wings more like a bird in the sky. I am not an entity that should remain only in Japan."

Honestly, who gives a flying **** about Cabana. Dude can't draw a dime and was only there because he was buddies with the EVPs.

100% Colt is not an in-ring draw.

However, Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling is indirectly responsible for much of what spawned AEW.

:shrug:

A few quick notes with some AEW news today

• Meet and greet tickets for this evening’s Collision are close to being sold out.

• Tetsuya Naito has replaced Tanahashi for a the meet & greet tonight at Collision.

• Collision only has a few hundred tickets remaining for this evening. It’s about sold out.

• Forbidden Door has become Canada's 3rd highest earnings in terms of pro wrestling, trailing being WM 18 & WM 6.

• With AEW earning 1.15 million dollars in total revenue for Forbidden Door, it has surpassed WWE's Elimination PPV back in February as they earned $997,637.

• RUSH has CONFIRMED he has NO Visa issues at all. He's been in the states.

Btw, I'd watch Colt Cabana and Toru Yano team up for the hundredth time and still be more entertained than by whatever Punk does in a ring. :lol:

I would too im about to go to work but when I come home I got more that people might not know about Colt helping the business including indy scene as a whole out over the last 8 or so yrs

At press time, All In is at ~66,500 tickets paid and with an $8.35 million gate at Wembley Stadium.

It is now the second largest paid attendance for a pro wrestling show in history.

The largest since WrestleMania in 2016, which is the all-time record and would be difficult for this show to break, but not impossible.
The British love their pro wrestling and have quite the history. A lot of the bigger wrestling news sites are English - Wrestletalk, Cultaholic, etc.

It’s not surprising to me at all.

The British love their pro wrestling and have quite the history. A lot of the bigger wrestling news sites are English - Wrestletalk, Cultaholic, etc.

It’s not surprising to me at all.

Yep Inside the Ropes is from Scotland

My favorite move in all of pro wrestling is Natio's flying clothesline after reversing the momentum of an Irish whip. If I get to see that live I'll have crossed off my original wrestling bucket list I wrote a few years ago (I have a new one!)

Funny you should mention this because Colt has done a hell of a lot since Punk left to help the Indy scene get super hot and make wrestlers $$$ as well.
Meltzer still making stuff up. Lol

I believe this wasn't made up and here's why. Punk doesn't have many friends in wrestling at all. He's got FTR who have gotten in hot water with their podcast talking about things they should from a backstage perspective and ACE Steel. Yeah you see some nice things said about Punk by a few others but most on AEW have never met the guy or associated long enough to give a real opinion. A lot of the WWE guys hate him. I talked to my former retired Coworker about this a couple weeks ago about this and he mentioned some names he heard from former Coworkers when he worked WWE who threatened to leave or weren't happy If Punk somehow came back to WWE. Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns were two of the main ones because Seth and Mox were part of The Shield and Punk wanted Chris Hero in the Shield not Roman. Apparently Punk just didn't like Roman for whatever season and wanted to do something for his buddy Chris Hero. Another two is Sammy Zayn and KO. Why Colt and KO went to Pro Wrestling Tee's and became huge proponents of what PW Tee's has become today. Most don't know what KO and Colt did. I talked to Brian Heffron aka Blue Meanie about this after the scrum and he mentions a lot of the Cobana stuff we talked about on his own podcast at a later date in OCTOBER.

Others like Danielson and others felt he was a captain of a ship in his trailblazing and when things got hard took his ball and went home. A lot of people hated WWE at the time so a lot of people had the "yeah Punk F'd WWE" , "Yeah Punk showed them" "We hope more wrestlers do what Punk did". But after the knee jerk reactions and going back to it now he literally left the guys he was fighting for behind to fend for themselves. Look good for him for doing what he had to help himself but at the same time he also seemed like he gave up on his fight. When he got to AEW from what I heard he went in survival mode like he was in WWE still. He rubs a lot the wrong way with the Straight Edge life style kind of like the person who preaches their religion whenever they get. Yeah he was successful in WWE to an extent but then he pulled a Stone Cold took his ball and went home. He came back out of shape and only looked like he was going through the motions. He looked like the exact guy he fought heavily against WWE bringing so it made him look like a hypocrite.

Many of the ROH guys also don't like him. There's some personal grudges as well there and Punk ending friendships because of pettiness. You also have him bringing up Colt's name during the All Out media Scrum and making some personal attacks too him as well. Maybe Colt wasn't exactly "fired" But Punk surely had a role in Colt not being on TV and then eventually going to ROH

PW Tees doesn't charge for back stock so wrestlers can ask to have their shirts and march done there for a set price and ask for X amount to be back stock and they won't be charged a holding fee like other places. Also PW Tee's carries NJPW merch and is the official AEW merch shop. It's allowed guys and gals to get they name out there and make some more money when not doing shows or appearances and PW Tee's only takes a very small % of the price.

Colt also was one of the first wrestlers to have a podcast and it started others having them. Mike Bennett and Maria started with the help of Colt and other's followed. Many of the big podcast you see now like the Jericho, Stone Cold Pod, Jake Roberts, DDP, and others all thanks to Colt starting it. So you can see why a lot of guys stick up for Colt here, as he's the reason why many of these guys were able to find other opportunities in their job to make money.

100% Colt is not an in-ring draw.

However, Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling is indirectly responsible for much of what spawned AEW.

:shrug:

Absolutely also if you are expecting some big in ring performer or great mic guy that ain't him. Colt like Yano or Santino Marrella, El Jefe etc is a comedy act. I know "wrestling purest" like racist misoygnistic Jim Cornette hate it but the reality is comedy has always been in wrestling and will stay. Just like the Lucha style, the technical like Danielson. Guys like Hardy's and The Buck's style etc will be here. Colt isn't suppose to be taken seriously in the ring but that's not what any of this is about at all now is it. It's used as an excuse for what now seems like routine bullying from Punk at this point.

Colt gave his supposed Best friend a mic to air his grievances against what happened in WWE. Many felt sorry for Punk because he was preaching to the choir on how bad many wrestlers were treated and it was almost word for word what you had heard or read in interviews from others. Colt was also promised any lawsuit vs WWE Punk would take care of and he didn't uphold his end. He got called out for it didn't like it and tried playing victim. Now the diehard Punk fans will say oh it was never Punk's fault, Colt is soft etc but that isn't it. Colt had to pay his own legal fees and put his neck out for a friend who didn't uphold a promise.

So you can see why a lot of people are pissed at Punk. Unfortunately some fans can't see past their hatred for a wrestling company, EVP's or a dirt sheet guy they claim something when he did exactly that for WWE and Vince for yrs.

Also Punk got a very healthy amount of boos tonight. We aren't in Chicago anymore Toto!!!! I called this before only place he gets cheered is gonna be CHI anywhere else AEW goes at this point he's getting boo'd

Hell of a promo by Christian tonight.

Swerve wore the Embassy robe from the old ROH days btw.

The Gunns are officially in BC Gold

Back from the AEW show tonight. Punk got far and away the largest reactions. Christian cut great promo. Jericho looks in great shape for his age. You could hear a pin drop when all the Japanese guys came out.

Good show. Will be at the show tomorrow as well. If Punk weren't on the shows, wouldn't be going.

Back from the AEW show tonight. Punk got far and away the largest reactions. Christian cut great promo. Jericho looks in great shape for his age. You could hear a pin drop when all the Japanese guys came out.

Good show. Will be at the show tomorrow as well. If Punk weren't on the shows, wouldn't be going.
Last year the crowd was heavily New Japan slanted. Interesting that it doesn't seem to be that way this year from your report.

A lot of people don't like Punk. Blah, blah, blah. That is not new. I think most have said that Punk is a pain in the butt, but he is entertaining on TV, hence the super positive and negative reaction he gets from fans, A lot of people in the business hated Shawn Michaels in the 90s as well (not just Bret Hart and his family), and he did just fine working with most. I will say it again: it is called being a grown-up. Sometimes you have to work with people you don't like.

Meltzer has lied about too much stuff and made up too much stuff over the years to be taken seriously. Nothing he says means a thing anymore.

A lot of people don't like Punk. Blah, blah, blah. That is not new. I think most have said that Punk is a pain in the butt, but he is entertaining on TV, hence the super positive and negative reaction he gets from fans, A lot of people in the business hated Shawn Michaels in the 90s as well (not just Bret Hart and his family), and he did just fine working with most. I will say it again: it is called being a grown-up. Sometimes you have to work with people you don't like.

Meltzer has lied about too much stuff and made up too much stuff over the years to be taken seriously. Nothing he says means a thing anymore.

Honestly I think his schtick is old too me and he came back far too late. He only came back to wrestling after he couldn't hack it in UFC and wanted a payday. He's no different then the part timers WWE hired to put over others for the exception at least he's there a bit more. I think a lot of people got tired of Will he or won't he comeback. The Colt and him stuff is pretty open on why they had a falling out and thats when a lot of guys who were pro Punk in the business stopped being friends with him as they thought he did Colt dirty. Colt did him a favor on the promise Punk would have his back only for him to not. He's become a huge hypocrite and a Mark for himself.

Don't get me wrong I was excited for Punk initially coming back but then the Honeymoon phase wore off. He was in terrible ring shape and turns out he's a mark for himself. Still a good promo guy but there's others including Danielson who'd run circles around him in the ring right now. For me Punk just came back too late and started doing a lot that he preached about what he hated.

Sure Meltzer has lied about stuff but I don't think he's lied about the colt stuff. Like I said it's well known. I think the Punk Marks can't get past like I said their hatred of certain people, Meltzer himself or a company. I said from day 1 The Elite could've handled it better but Punk was super unprofessional as a whole through that. You or I do that we are terminated from our jobs. In fact someone in one of my companies other stores was fired for pulling a similar stunt and they also were going after a Manager as well where the manager at one point was standing behind them without them knowning and let them continue while the others just watched.

Also why would Kenny and The Bucks be threatened by Punk? Their EVPs and all of the company they created? Thats the thing I don't understand from the Punk side of it. Also people have been telling people on Punk for yrs now. Maybe eventually it's times to look at the wrestler himself and stop blaming others. Look how you come off to certain people and change that. My other issue here is say the EVP's were going to Meltzer. Ok do you know who else was doing this for yrs. HBK and Triple H and right now WWE marks treat these guys like Wrestling Gods. I like Hunter and HBK as wrestlers but as people they are absolute snakes unless they like you. It's the hypocrisy here from people I just don't like. You hate when the Elite are running to Meltzer but your favorites in WWE did this for yrs. You can't be ok with the one and not with the other. I'm not ok with people doing that but at the same time we really don't have any detail or truth The Elite and leaking stuff to Meltzer. It's just something the WWE Marks have been saying since AEW was born and he's been pro AEW with a lot of things. We do know Hunter was leaking stuff to Dave because well Hunter admitted to as much.

The other reason people aren't fans of the Elite because they turned down the big WWE Machine to go work there. Very lucrative deal but the Elite weren't going to the Main Roster unless Hangman was with them which WWE want to send to NXT for Main Roster $$$$$. So there's a lot of pettiness here from WWE fans as well. Mix it all together powder keg ready to explode

Last edited:

I've heard more about Colt freaking Cabana more the past year that his whole career. Does anyone honestly give a fat rat's *** about him? Look up irrelevant in the dictionary and his face will be right next to it.

I have never like Triple H and Shawn Michaels, and I still don't. I think they are both petty jerks.

My point was a lot of WWE marks are using the Elite running to Meltzer but seemed perfectly fine when Hunter came out in an interview saying WWE used Meltzer for yrs and it was pretty well known WWF/E back then used Meltzer to talk smack on former talent who was let go to spin positive PR in company's favor. So not liking The Elite doing it which is hearsay right now compared to Hunter admitting to doing it and not having an issue is hypocritical. The Do as I say not as I do crowd. I also think a lot of WWE marks are petty since The Elite didn't sign with WWE. The Bucks, Kenny and Everyone said WWE was very professional in the negotiations but there were several hangups including Hangman Paige being sent to NXT. Then Tony Khan and his partners came in with an Idea on a new company and I think Cody and Jericho had started talking too and one thing led to another and the creation of AEW.

A lot of people I knew around that time in WWE thought for sure The Elite was signing and creative had started planning stuff for them. So I think a lot of WWE fans saying the Elite suck, never were good, couldn't hang in WWE, is all pettiness is stuff for not signing with their favorite wrestling company. I know some had The Bucks for their wrestling style legit but this WWE crowd is the same one who use to hangle on TNA for yrs saying it wouldn't last 5 yrs, etc.

I've heard more about Colt freaking Cabana more the past year that his whole career. Does anyone honestly give a fat rat's *** about him? Look up irrelevant in the dictionary and his face will be right next to it.

If you never followed ROH you wouldn't know who he was. If you were a Punk fan then you probably know who Colt was before WWE unless you became one when he got to WWE and heard about their friendship. Also the WWE doc on Punk mentions Colt. If you just follow WWE and a casual fan in general you probably never heard of Punk.

And yes a lot of people do. Like I post he was very influential in many of today's wrestling pods coming out plus Pro Wrestling Tees success.

5+
Omega v Ospreay

4+
International Title 4-Way
Elite/Eddie/Ishii vs BCC/Umino
Danielson v Okada
MJF v Tanahashi

3+
Punk v Kojima
SANADA v Jungle Boy
Darby/Sting/Naito vs Jericho/Guevara/Suzuki
Willow v Toni Storm

No real stinkers to be found imo.

Enjoyed the preshow too, especially United Empire v LIJ.

Fantastic night.

I met him at an ROH show once; seems like a nice guy. :shrug: I don't think his style of wrestling works for a lot of people.

5+
Omega v Ospreay

4+
International Title 4-Way
Elite/Eddie/Ishii vs BCC/Umino
Danielson v Okada
MJF v Tanahashi

3+
Punk v Kojima
SANADA v Jungle Boy
Darby/Sting/Naito vs Jericho/Guevara/Suzuki
Willow v Toni Storm

No real stinkers to be found imo.

Enjoyed the preshow too, especially United Empire v LIJ.

Fantastic night.
I hope uncle Dave gives Osprey/Omega a 10 out of 10 stars for that match that was just amazing

I met him at an ROH show once; seems like a nice guy. :shrug: I don't think his style of wrestling works for a lot of people.

Nope but if you don’t take Colt seriously and enjoy what he does best there’s no issues

Bryan Danielson INJURED.

AEW doctors say Danielson fractured his right forearm last night near the end of the match with Kazuchika Okada.

It’s believed he’ll be out of action for 6-8 weeks. Danielson commented saying he’ll probably not be participating in this years G1 tournament now.

One positive to take from this is that AEW ALL IN at Wembley Stadium in London is 8 weeks away. So presumably, we could see his return match at Wembley on August 27th.

Now, who will be his opponent at Wembley?

NEWS: According to Meltzer, there are those who are looking for ways to try to prevent WWE events from being ‘Vinced’. Paul Levesque and Nick Khan were reportedly furious about how Vince altered Smackdown with them saying it looked bad all over.

“Logic will tell you that there are many unhappy people and Paul Levesque has to be one of them. These were matches that were built up with promos, they'd been built up for a week, they did angles last week, and they were just taken away like nothing. It's got to be frustrating for the writers, it's got to be frustrating for Paul Levesque. The thing is it's Vince and you can't say anything. That's what somebody brought up to me, if you're a writer you can't say anything to Vince. Even if you're Paul Levesque you can't say anything to Vince because it's like you're f***ed if you say anything to Vince. So you can't say anything. They're trying to figure out a way to have him not do this. One person noted to me it would be a lot better if you did it the day before or two days before but he's doing it the day of the show.” Meltzer stated.

Sometimes the Pro Wrestling Dirt sheet admins do some cool king post. There’s a few today from last night but thought I’d share this one for a different reaso

People don't realize how revolutionary the Elite are to wrestling as a whole.

So first of all TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE and if their style of wrestling does not appeal to you, then more power to you. But since AEW and NJPW fans are always entertained (look at the reactions in any of their shows), there is clearly an audience for it (however small or big it may be).

Before AEW was formed Omega and the Bucks said that they want to popularize their style of wrestling which is highly influenced by video games and anime. This is where the over the top moves and spots come from. This is where the incredibly near falls and false finishes come from. Video games and anime are a different type of story telling which is not the same as your typical Game of Thrones.

Today there is a growing audience for this style of wrestling and while I agree that it is a long way before this style is mainstream you'd be blind to deny that this style isn't growing. And you know what? Seth Rollins (who imo is the best wrestler in WWE) also has a ton of shades of this style. Wrestling at the end of the day is story telling. There are different ways of doing that. You can go the Bloodline way, where Roman tells stories during the match (which I find super similar to CM Punk from the early days). Brock Lesnar is a big guy monster with more than just one dimension. Okada focusses on the competitive side of wrestling. The Undertaker who possibly is the greatest character in wrestling always makes us suspend our disbelief and really go on with the fact that he has supernatural abilities. Bray Wyatt plays with your head in whatever match he is in.

Point is there are several types of story telling in wrestling. The Elite are on the verge of creating a brand new version of this. Your typical Hulk Hogan or John Cena had the American Superhero version. While that worked at one time, two shonen rivals fighting on equal footing just works a lot better. As a kid which one of us did not want to be like Goku or Vegeta? Which one of us did not try focussing our Chakras like Naruto or Sasuke? Which one of us did not imagine every fight to be like Mortal Combat?

Before you say that they are exposing the business, in 2023 is there really anything left to expose? Everyone knows that wrestling is scripted. If we can be totally okay with the urn giving the Undertaker a boost in power or a demon body paint making Balor 10x stronger why is it SO hard to believe that some fights are anime/video game inspired?

Your opinions about these guys otherwise might not be positive but you'd have to be a blind hater to deny the fact that they are the front runners of a new style of wrestling. And you know what? A ton of legends were ridiculed when they tried a style of story telling that was different. And today these styles are what we call masterpieces. Not making a direct comparison but imagine if someone laughed at ambitious but risky concepts like the ladder match or the Royal Rumble? Or heck the Undertaker's whole gimmick?

I am not saying you have to like them, it is perfectly okay if you dislike their style of wrestling but you cannot deny that they are making a brand new style mainstream. And wrestling much like everything else NEEDS to evolve and innovated. Nothing can and should remain where it was 50 years ago.

Ripper

AEW’s Forbidden Door 2023 PPV last night drew its highest gate in company history.

At $1.2 million U.S/$1.6 million Canadian, it was the third-biggest gate ever in Canada. The biggest number in history for a non-WWE wrestling show in North America.

The PPV numbers were also up from last year's Forbidden Door and up from last months Double or Nothing PPV.

PWInsider.com reports tonight's Monday Night Raw episode will have a lot of "Vince McMahon fingerprints" on the show, much like this past Friday's Smackdown did.

While McMahon has been remotely influencing WWE programming since Wrestlemania 39, the belief among some in WWE is that influence is likely to grow in the coming weeks and months as the Endeavor acquisition becomes a reality.

Forbidden door lived up to the hype again. It was great hearing Christ charlton do commentary too on the pre show

Chris Hero took to social media to post a photo of himself with announcer Chris Charlton at last nights Forbidden Door PPV. At this time, it looks to be that Hero is officially ALL ELITE as AEW’s newest coaches backstage.

Fightful Select did report on June 17th that Hero was doing a trial-run for the company, but it’s looking crystal clear that he’s set to sign or already signed.

PWInsider.com reports tonight's Monday Night Raw episode will have a lot of "Vince McMahon fingerprints" on the show, much like this past Friday's Smackdown did.

While McMahon has been remotely influencing WWE programming since Wrestlemania 39, the belief among some in WWE is that influence is likely to grow in the coming weeks and months as the Endeavor acquisition becomes a reality.
Such a shame.

What is the link?

Asking one last time, if you post stuff you say other sites are reporting, post the link.

What is the link?

Asking one last time, if you post stuff you say other sites are reporting, post the link.

I posted the link did you not see the .com in front of it? Not being difficult here just don’t see where the problem here as I love seen other threads quote tweets and a link not provided. Some new rule here or is someone literally reporting me for spam because they think it’s funny and had a disagreement with me?

I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything but serious question at this point.

Jacob Fatu takes promoter's money for a charity event, then no-shows the event and ghosts the promoter.
They booked names like Billy Gunn, Vampiro, Totonka, Brian Pillman Jr., and Jacob Fatu.
But when the day came for the wrestlers to show up, one of them backed out.
“Jacob called and said that there was a family emergency. We gave him the benefit of the doubt. At Jake's, we are 100% about family and I said, ‘if you can't make it, that's fine,’” Harper said.
All she asked was that her nonprofit be reimbursed for the money spent booking him, which came to a total of $2,633.
She said $1,030 was pre-paid for Fatu's appearance, but they'd also spent $548 on a hotel stay for him, $657 on an initial flight, $348 on a flight change at his request, and $50 on 8x10 posters that were printed for him to autograph at the event.

What is the link?

I believe this news would be behind a paywall from this site.

Sting ended up losing a tooth from last night's botch when he did not get enough air on his leap and ended up landing short of Sammy and going through the tables. At 64 he has a hall of fame career leave the high flying stuff to the young ones.

Might have been under the influence last night, or just in a good mood, or whatever, but shot the lock off my digital wallet and gave Apple more of my money, and bought all four seasons of Lucha Underground. I watched most of season one back when it ran, but looking forward to watching the whole thing. A ton of guys and gals killing it now played a part in the show.

Lucha Underground Roster

Users who are viewing this thread