What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

Why do they get to place the ball after two drops when the ball only moves a couple feet. I mean you are already dropping it two club lengths from where it was. Why does it now require precision? I understand if it rolls all the way down a hill.

Why do they get to place the ball after two drops when the ball only moves a couple feet. I mean you are already dropping it two club lengths from where it was. Why does it now require precision? I understand if it rolls all the way down a hill.
It technically can't go towards the hole or outside the 2 club lenghts

Reactions: Zow
Back to playing. Can't really describe my game. I'm much more consistent this year but I dont have any low scores I usually throw up. My scoring average is pretty much the same as it usually it but tahts just becuase I'm playin more consistently. My driver which I rarely ever have trouble with is suspect this year - no confidence, lost yardage. Irons are pretty solid. Putting another thing I've historically been good at is off. HCP index is up 1.2 but just feel off. A lot of 39 - 43 type rounds

However and its mental at this point. I can't hit a hybrid or 3-wood off the deck...... i top them every fn time. Its awful. No clue where that came from. 3wood off teh deck is usually $$$
I had the same 3-wood issues…this spring switched to a new 5-wood…and am now smoking it to roughly where I was hitting the 3. New club of course, but also the loft just gets me to a much more comfortable place mentally. Also works well for my home club yardage.

I rarely use my 3 wood anymore. Maybe on a 215-220 par 3. Off the fairway it was hit or miss.
Went to range yesterday and stripe show. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong, we will see when I need to hit it. Club face was way open

Unfortunately had a pretty lousy experience at Bulle Rock yesterday. Beautiful day in terms of temperature and sun but the wind made a course that hard nearly unplayable for someone like me (I'm a 10 index). I honestly have no idea how someone who doesn't typically shoot in the 80's would even play there.

We get there at 8:30AM (9:30 tee time) to find out that they're starting us on 10 (which was clearly the much harder side) and that....for some reason....its cart path only(totally bizarre decision, as we didn't hit a shot from a wet lie all day. No idea what they were thinking on that one) . So that already sucks and we get to the tee with a 3 club wind right off the bat. I manage to hit a good drive off 1, leaving myself a PW in. Then, somehow....in the middle of my downswing, a gust of wind causes my ball to roll 2 inches towards me (From a relatively flat lie). I hozzle it into the ****, leading to a double on the first hole and I immediately went on tilt. Topped my next drive plus another one later and hit 2 other balls dead OB on the front 9 (technically the back). Between the wind and the path rules and me just being angry, I essentially threw in the towel. Resorted to just punching irons forward the last 2 or 3 holes because I didnt want to hit driver with the wind gusting. Just an awful mix of conditions, some bad luck and me having a bad day on a course I didn't know.

Took a deep breath and reset at the turn and managed to regain some dignity. Shot a 41 on the back despite 2 lost balls (thankfully both red-stakes) and a double bogey on a fairly easy par 3. Made a nice birdie on 1 (good drive and stuck a wedge inside 18 inches) and then nearly birdied 9 as well (really cool short par 4 over water with all kinds of crazy elevation changes). Overall it was still a day of golf with my dad, so I can't complain too badly. But it was just an embarrassing and frustrating couple of hours that really exposed my biggest weakness.

If I'm playing a course I dont know, I just get really nervous and hesitant not knowing where to hit it off the tee. Part of it could probably be helped by buying an actual range-finder (right now I just use a little hand-held thing that gives front, middle and back plus hazards) but add in the wind and I'm just dead. I had no confidence and just made horrendous swings off the tee all day. I hit one bad one and my brain just says "just swing harder" and I make things SO much worse. Just a really crappy round to tack on to all the crappy rounds I've been playing all Summer. I've had enough decent scores to keep my index around 10 most of the year, but considering my goal this year was to break 8 (and just be more consistent in general, which clearly hasn't happened) I'm just so bummed out. Decided to pull out of our club's stroke play event next weekend (I just have no desire to embarrass myself by blowing up and making a 12 at some point) and I'm considering not playing my club championship flight at the end of the month either. Heart just isn't in it.
That's stinks. I've played there with wind and no wind and it's definitely hard without wind lol

So the real first hole. Dog legish left with bunkers at the corner. My dad hits his approach shot long and left. I'm on the green with my buddy. The green drying fan is in my dads line. He says I'm going to drop over here, I need to hit a flop at the fan. Sure no problem. Moves over 10 ft or so. Lines up his shot, swings, hozzel shot directly off the fan :lmao:

Back to playing. Can't really describe my game. I'm much more consistent this year but I dont have any low scores I usually throw up. My scoring average is pretty much the same as it usually it but tahts just becuase I'm playin more consistently. My driver which I rarely ever have trouble with is suspect this year - no confidence, lost yardage. Irons are pretty solid. Putting another thing I've historically been good at is off. HCP index is up 1.2 but just feel off. A lot of 39 - 43 type rounds

However and its mental at this point. I can't hit a hybrid or 3-wood off the deck...... i top them every fn time. Its awful. No clue where that came from. 3wood off teh deck is usually $$$
I had the same 3-wood issues…this spring switched to a new 5-wood…and am now smoking it to roughly where I was hitting the 3. New club of course, but also the loft just gets me to a much more comfortable place mentally. Also works well for my home club yardage.

I rarely use my 3 wood anymore. Maybe on a 215-220 par 3. Off the fairway it was hit or miss.
Went to range yesterday and stripe show. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong, we will see when I need to hit it. Club face was way open

Watched a 3-5 wood lesson on YouTube and it did help. Most people play the 3-5 off the fairway with same setup as driver..up in the stance. Said when using that off the fairways it leads to more topped shots. Said move it back a little like you are hitting a 5-6 iron to get better contact and higher launch. It worked for me but I still hit my 5 way more than 3.

If I am 220 out on a par 5 or 4. Although if I hit my 3 it perfect I might hit the green. 90% chance I wont, 50% chance I pull, push or top it. My 5 goes around 200 and dead straight most of the time. 80% chance I advance the ball at least 180.

Got my first hole in one yesterday!!

Was a warm, but lovely day on a course I have never played. Troy Burne, absolutely beautiful course.

Hole 11 - 150 yards, think it was playing 142. Little bit of wind. My partner played first, put it like 7 feet. Great shot. My turn. 142 is a pretty good 8 iron for me - was hitting well, knew I couldn't get there with a 9, so tried to play an easy 8 with my little fade. Came off club great, all 4 of us were watching. Right away, someone says "nice, that looks good". Someone else "damn, that looks real good". I say, "I hope it's enough". Lands front edge and takes a nice gentle hop forward. Knew it wasn't going to check up and knew it would roll maybe 15 feet. Someone else says "****, that's got a chance". All of us "come on, go in!". Plop!! It's in the hole!

First time any of the 4 of us have been in a foursome where someone got a hole in one. Two of the guys probably average 3 rounds a week for the entire season. They play a lot. One guy is real good, other guy is about as good as me. 4th guy is decent. This was only my 2nd time playing a real full course this year (I play in a 9 hole Monday night beer league on a par 3 course for most of the summer).

Shot a 43/43 but who the hell cares. A hole in one!

Whoop

Was a warm, but lovely day on a course I have never played. Troy Burne, absolutely beautiful course.

Hole 11 - 150 yards, think it was playing 142. Little bit of wind. My partner played first, put it like 7 feet. Great shot. My turn. 142 is a pretty good 8 iron for me - was hitting well, knew I couldn't get there with a 9, so tried to play an easy 8 with my little fade. Came off club great, all 4 of us were watching. Right away, someone says "nice, that looks good". Someone else "damn, that looks real good". I say, "I hope it's enough". Lands front edge and takes a nice gentle hop forward. Knew it wasn't going to check up and knew it would roll maybe 15 feet. Someone else says "****, that's got a chance". All of us "come on, go in!". Plop!! It's in the hole!

First time any of the 4 of us have been in a foursome where someone got a hole in one. Two of the guys probably average 3 rounds a week for the entire season. They play a lot. One guy is real good, other guy is about as good as me. 4th guy is decent. This was only my 2nd time playing a real full course this year (I play in a 9 hole Monday night beer league on a par 3 course for most of the summer).

Whoop
Troy Burne is awesome. Congrats!!

Whoop
Awesome, especially to get one at Burne! I just played that hole recently and took a 5 :laugh:

Just absolutely nothing going right right now. I have short stretches of good golf but all I'm thinking about is the inevitable blowup that I know is coming. Put it in the **** (a not so long forced carry) on 17 for the 3rd straight day. Just the same smother hook 3 times in a row. I was ready to throw the rest of my clubs in with it.

Over the past 3 rounds I think I was probably about 1/25 on putts from 4-12 feet. And nearly every one of them has stopped one rev short, lipped out or just rolled over the edge. Its absolutely comical at this point how bad I am.

Honestly thinking of putting the clubs away for like a month. I am just getting no joy out of it at all and just feel miserable every time i finish a round. Turned what should have been about an 82 into an 89 today just because of absolutely horrible putting and like 3 bad swings and all I want to do is break something.

Just absolutely nothing going right right now. I have short stretches of good golf but all I'm thinking about is the inevitable blowup that I know is coming. Put it in the **** (a not so long forced carry) on 17 for the 3rd straight day. Just the same smother hook 3 times in a row. I was ready to throw the rest of my clubs in with it.

Over the past 3 rounds I think I was probably about 1/25 on putts from 4-12 feet. And nearly every one of them has stopped one rev short, lipped out or just rolled over the edge. Its absolutely comical at this point how bad I am.

Honestly thinking of putting the clubs away for like a month. I am just getting no joy out of it at all and just feel miserable every time i finish a round. Turned what should have been about an 82 into an 89 today just because of absolutely horrible putting and like 3 bad swings and all I want to do is break something.
I'm exactly in the same spot. Putting my clubs away until my annual guys trip Ryder Cup format thing in a couple weeks.

Need a mental reset or something.

Had some amazing shots this week in both Chicago and Oklahoma. Including the closest I've ever seen or been to a hole in one. 169 yard to the pin on a par 3 and I dropped it 7 inches from the hole...and it rolled past and came to rest about a foot from the hole. If it had landed a couple inches one way or the other there's a real shot it would have gone in. Birdie though!!!

Also had a fantastic round on a fairly short course, with rented clubs. Shot 86 and I think I left 3-10 shots out there, easily, on the basis of a putter that was much more angled than mine, making it harder to judge, and a sand wedge where I couldn't get a read on full swing distance until around the 15th hole or so (no driving range, and they didn't know the loft!). Add onto that my less than good accuracy off the tee continuing, and it was exciting and full of potential all at the same time! If I could just figure out a few things, I have SOOOO much potential:

1. Irons are so incredibly much better than a year or two years ago it's crazy. BUT two things keep happening and I gotta figure it out. First, when i finish my swing, my grip has the club face closed. When I set up, it's not closed, but then I take it back and swing, and if I look at how the club is faced in my hands then, it's closed. So much so that I've started doing a practice swing and then at the end grip position rotating it all the way back to straight. Have to go get coaching again on this I cannot seem to figure it out. Second, Like 10-15% are pulled, like 30-40% are amazing straight bombs, and like 40-60% are anywhere from a baby fade to a 30+ yard slice. I think it's mostly related to weight because it feels like the best results are all when I'm very balanced, keeping weight more on my heels or even just in the middle vs on my toes.

2. Driver totally lacks consistency. Every now and again there's an amazing bomb. But every great once in a while there's like a weird topspinny insta dive that maybe goes 50-100 yards. And more commonly there's big slices. And sometimes a dead pull that goes for miles but still isn't exactly helpful related to the hole. It's just all over the place. I'm trying different things on the range...a slower takeaway really trying to stay connected, a shorter backswing, standing closer and more tall, standing a little farther and with a wider base, adding a little shoulder tilt, trying to make sure wait transfer moves right to left...idk.

I have gotten a lot better at golf because I have been playing once or twice a week for the past two years. I used to play once or twice a year the previous 15 years. Shot a 38 today with 5 pars, 3 bogeys and 1 birdie. 17 total putts which is great for me. Only one 3 putt on the first hole for bogey.

@Andy Dufresne @3 hour lunch @BeTheMatch

Troy Burne some day this fall? 4 of us would make a smashing foursome I suppose
Smashing. Count me in
I would play too if possible. Next 3 weekends are shot though.
Fellas, normally I would 100% be in on this but .. I just spent a good chunk to play TPC this weekend and in early October I'm heading up to play both courses at Giants Ridge. . I hope we get a good weather day because that is supposedly THE day that fall colors will peak up there.

So I don't think I could sneak Troy Burne past the budget committee. I'm absolutely down for playing next spring/summer.

Start my club's 3-day fall classic today. Have been up since 4 AM because I feel like a kid on Christmas. I really like this tournament's format because it's a four man team (I love team golf more than individual) but you still play your own ball and can record a score everyday. It's a two-man best, aggregate 36 holes per day scoring (you play with each one of your teammates each different day). I'm technically the C player (all four of us are single digits) but it's pretty clear I'm looked to as the team leader and need to step up. I really love the best ball formats but so long as your partner can record a decent score on the hole you can afford a bad hole or two throughout the three days (which is usually my downfall in a three-day medal play tournament).

Will report back after copious amounts of whisky and, ideally, birdies and eagles.

Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment. Despite how poorly I'm playing lately (and that's obviously relative....I'm mostly shooting 86-89 when I'd rather be shooting 82-85) it looks like I'm sleeping in the parking lot at Bethpage and playing the black course at the crack of dawn next Friday.

So that should work out GREAT for my near 40 year old semi-bad back (especially after waking up at 6 AM the day before and commuting into the city) and very mediocre game.

Stay tuned for the carnage.....

Feels like I'm playing irons the best I ever have. Shot an 86 (although from the white tees) this morning, which is awesome for me. In spite of mis-clubbing on a par 3 and blasting it over a giant hill green and then thinning a chip and eventually ending with a 6 LOL. In Spite of LITERALLY KILLING A BIRD IN FLIGHT with an awesome drive that was going to set me up for a chance to go for it in 2 on a par 5 over water, but instead literally knocked a bird out of the sky over water on the left as the drive was fading back over the fairway and the ball went straight in. AND two chip ins!!! It was a freaking insane morning. Playing with these 3 old guys they were like "wtf is happening with this rando".

Also left a LOT of strokes out there on the green. 10 two putts from within 12 feet (most 7-12). I think on a normal day I probably 1-putt at least a third of those. 6 of them ended within one ball rotation of dropping. So frustrating.

That said: my driver is murdering me. I'm constantly scrambling or recovering to try and get up and down, or losing strokes getting back into play or penalty strokes or...the list goes on. Have to get a lesson before our "Ryder Cup" in two weeks, where I was invited for the first time and need to not totally suck.

Feels like I'm playing irons the best I ever have. Shot an 86 (although from the white tees) this morning, which is awesome for me. In spite of mis-clubbing on a par 3 and blasting it over a giant hill green and then thinning a chip and eventually ending with a 6 LOL. In Spite of LITERALLY KILLING A BIRD IN FLIGHT with an awesome drive that was going to set me up for a chance to go for it in 2 on a par 5 over water, but instead literally knocked a bird out of the sky over water on the left as the drive was fading back over the fairway and the ball went straight in. AND two chip ins!!! It was a freaking insane morning. Playing with these 3 old guys they were like "wtf is happening with this rando".

Also left a LOT of strokes out there on the green. 10 two putts from within 12 feet (most 7-12). I think on a normal day I probably 1-putt at least a third of those. 6 of them ended within one ball rotation of dropping. So frustrating.

That said: my driver is murdering me. I'm constantly scrambling or recovering to try and get up and down, or losing strokes getting back into play or penalty strokes or...the list goes on. Have to get a lesson before our "Ryder Cup" in two weeks, where I was invited for the first time and need to not totally suck.
I hit a goose in the knee (not in flight) with an absolutely scalded 3 iron last week. Dropped like a bag of wet cement.
Heck of a shot if you think about it. It stayed about three inches off the ground for 40 yards before contact.

What a stupid, ridiculous game this is.

Skipped the stroke play event at my club today to avoid embarrassment (with how poorly I've been playing) but decided to go over in the afternoon to squeeze in a round. 50/50 chance of rain, so I took a cart. Went off by myself as most of the regulars played in the event.

1- Maybe my best drive of the year on that hole, half wedge ends up a yard short of the green, lipout birdie putt. tap in par
2- mediocre drive, hybrid just short in 2 (par 5), half-skulled the chip off the back. 2nd chip nearly goes in. tap in par
3- drive in the FW bunker, 9 iron just over the back, poor chip that barely trickles onto the green. 12 foot downhill putt drops in for par
4- 8 iron to 10 feet. Putt just slips by. Tap in par
5- Great drive, wedge to just short. Birdie putt just slips by. Tap in par

(Rain starts drizzling)

6- Good drive, 8 iron about 20 feet short. Blow the up-hill putt by, leaving a "tap it and pray" 3 foot downhill putt....it drops for par
7- PW to 7 feet. Birdie putt drops in the side door

At that point, the skies open up. I sat at the 8th tee box for like 10 minutes hoping it would pass (radar looked ok) and then some BIG thunderclaps. So I haul *** back to the club house, which was a good decision. It started absolutely downpouring with major wind and lightning. Half the club is under the outside tent as some people still had to finish their back 9 in the tournament. Had a drink and chatted with the boys for a while waiting for a break in the weather. Normally, I would obviously just go home. But at this point (having never shot even par for 9 holes) I'm at 1 under and obviously can't leave.

So we get the "all-clear" to go back out (after about 45 minutes) but now its cart-path only (which sucks for the particular hole I'm about to play) . I drive over to the range, hit about a dozen balls to loosen up and go back out to 8.

8- square one up and hit it to position A. Drive down the hill, walk all the way accross the FW (cart path rules) and the area around my ball is SOAKED. (water half-way up my shoes). I proceed to half-chunk a hybrid leaving me about 120 yards in. Pin is tucked back left behind a bunker and I hit a PW a LITTLE thin but right at it. Get up there, pitch mark is 2 feet from the hole and the ball is hanging on the back of the green (wouldn't have stayed if it wasn't wet, but we'll take it). 10 ft Birdie putt lips out AGAIN and I tap in for par.

9- Poor drive (semi-smother hook) leaves me about 150 out but in the rough blocked out by a tree. I decide to try and punch a 7 iron up the right and hope to clear the greenside bunkers. Execute it perfectly leaving me pin high in the rough about 10 yards off the green. Good contact on the chip (really all I was looking for. Just wanted to leave myself a manageable 2 putt) and I get decent roll out leaving myself about 12 feet. Par putts turns left at the last second, leaving me a tap-in bogey (first of the day) and an even par 36.

Obviously would have LOVED to go out and try to play the back 9 (my best score ever is a 76, so I would have needed a 39 on the back to beat it) but it was just too wet out there. Obviously under-par would have been awesome (my brother was giving me all kinds of **** for leaving the par putt short on 9) but I'm thrilled to finally accomplish a goal that I've been going for for the past 2 years. Hard to believe considering how crappy I played last week and how down I've been on myself.

Last edited:
Shot another 86. Man when I hit a drive well it GOES. EAGLED our 18th hole - my favorite hole on the course and the only one I really know I have a shot at from any tee. I'm not sure if it's looked down on or not, but I go hard up the left hand side and am totally ok erring wide left because you end up in the 17th tee box with ~180 to the center of the green. Did exactly that and then a five iron into about 25 feet and then sunk a big uphill left to righter with my friends going "go...yes...yes...Yesss...YEESSSS" it was incredible.

Have another lesson to really try and straighten out the drives because my irons are on point right now. Flush after flush it feels awesome. Also following the Rick Shields driver slice fix guide when I hit the range this week and weekend before lesson next Monday. First step is grip check (I don't think this is my issue), second is all about club face. I think this is my issue and I need to close it. So gonna try to overdo it and really have it closed, then will look at path.

Given my irons are a tight baby fade naturally, I feel like whatever I'm doing in the driver must be a combo of face open and moreout to in vs a pretty straight iron swing. But idk! That's what the lesson is for.

My 12-man guys trip is next weekend. Ryder Cup format over three days of debauchery.

And my game is in HORRIBLE shape heading into it.
Had our annual COVID Cup this weekend.

Day 1 is two-man scrambles match play. The other team threw out their top 2 golfers against our No. 1 or 2 and me, and I'm our team's third or fourth.

So tall order, but we played really well from the start and jumped out to a 4-up lead by end of front nine. I wobbled a little early in the back and they caught a little fire. Got within 2 of us, but I rolled in a 15-foot birdie putt on 16 to clinch the match 3 & 2.

So we were up 2-1 after day 1, then we took 2 of 3 again on day 2 in this sort of hybrid format (high, low, total).

So up 4-2 and feeling good going into singles play the final day. They throw out their big dog first, and we decided to put me out against him. I had played pretty well and won on day 1 and 2, and then that saved our big dogs for some easier matchups.

I gave myself about a 10 percent chance of beating him in match play, but it was pretty clear their whole team thought I had a zero percent chance. They were accusing us of sandbagging, etc.

Well, oopsy daisy.

I went out first and hung a personal-best 38 on the front nine and was 5-up at the turn even though he shot a respectable 41.

I held him off with some big clutch putts early on the back and ended up beating him 7 & 5, the most lopsided win by either side ever. He didn't win a single hole off me.

Highlight of the match was on a longer par 4 late on the front nine.

I hit a great tee shot but then chunk my second shot and come up way short. He does virtually the exact same thing. Then he hits his third from about 125 yards out to within 2 feet for what will be a tap-in par.

I'm up a little further, about 100 yards out. I pure a 56 just past the stick and spin it back right past his ball and into the cup for a birdie and a win.

We cruised to a 9-3 team victory.

Felt pretty good!

Heading to our "Ryder Cup" event 36 holes Friday 36 holes Saturday. Partners vs Associates.

1. Best ball
2. Captain's Choice
3. Alternate Shot
4. Solo matchups

I'm assuming captain's choice is just picking a format? Best ball = scramble? Alternate shot is mine then my partner's back and forth I know. Solo matchup I'm assuming is just score with strokes from handicap vs score with strokes from handicap?

Y'all do anything special strategically for any given format?

Heading to our "Ryder Cup" event 36 holes Friday 36 holes Saturday. Partners vs Associates.

1. Best ball
2. Captain's Choice
3. Alternate Shot
4. Solo matchups

I'm assuming captain's choice is just picking a format? Best ball = scramble? Alternate shot is mine then my partner's back and forth I know. Solo matchup I'm assuming is just score with strokes from handicap vs score with strokes from handicap?

I absolutely love strategy in these sorts of games (I love team golf) so I'll try to get you a longer response before tomorrow.

Best ball is NOT a scramble. Best play i you and your partner each play the hole and then you take the one net best score of the two of you. It's generally done match play style.

Solo matchups is likely one on one net match play. So, you'll play one guy from the other team in an 18 hole match. I'm assuming strokes with be levied out so the lesser player will have some holes where they get a stroke. To create a more fair advantage to the better players, it's common to see strokes be given at 90% or, more ruthlessly, as 1/2 strokes instead of the full one.

I'd also assume captain's choice is what you described. I'd recommend a chapman or a two man scramble.

1. Best ball
2. Captain's Choice
3. Alternate Shot
4. Solo matchups

I absolutely love strategy in these sorts of games (I love team golf) so I'll try to get you a longer response before tomorrow.

Best ball is NOT a scramble. Best play i you and your partner each play the hole and then you take the one net best score of the two of you. It's generally done match play style.

Solo matchups is likely one on one net match play. So, you'll play one guy from the other team in an 18 hole match. I'm assuming strokes with be levied out so the lesser player will have some holes where they get a stroke. To create a more fair advantage to the better players, it's common to see strokes be given at 90% or, more ruthlessly, as 1/2 strokes instead of the full one.

I'd also assume captain's choice is what you described. I'd recommend a chapman or a two man scramble.
I'm really excited and I think we're doing the half strokes thing. At least one of the courses seems quite difficult - I'm about an 18 handicap and it says course strokes is like 27 and I'm actually getting 14.

I'm also excited because these team events really play to my strengths (putting, iron play) and cover my weaknesses (off the tee, general inconsistency off tee and chipping). When I hit the ball as well as I can on each shot, I can birdie most holes and have real shots at eagles on par 5s. The problem is mostly that I am often not long enough off the tee, or I thin or I pull an iron, or my course management is dumb (like executed exactly what I wanted but it was the wrong thing to do) and now suddenly I'm ending with a double.

I just read about Chapman before replying and that looks fun

I'll look forward to your thoughts!!! Thanks for taking the time :)

Haven't played well the last 4 rounds or so. 30mph winds. Fired a 76. Got screwed on 9 when my approach fried egg near lip of bunker. Took a double. Driver was a bit sprayed today.but not terrible. Hit 2 shots terrible. Small branch cost me a par. I did not make a lot of putts today either. But overall very good day

1. Best ball
2. Captain's Choice
3. Alternate Shot
4. Solo matchups

I'm really excited and I think we're doing the half strokes thing. At least one of the courses seems quite difficult - I'm about an 18 handicap and it says course strokes is like 27 and I'm actually getting 14.

I'm also excited because these team events really play to my strengths (putting, iron play) and cover my weaknesses (off the tee, general inconsistency off tee and chipping). When I hit the ball as well as I can on each shot, I can birdie most holes and have real shots at eagles on par 5s. The problem is mostly that I am often not long enough off the tee, or I thin or I pull an iron, or my course management is dumb (like executed exactly what I wanted but it was the wrong thing to do) and now suddenly I'm ending with a double.

I just read about Chapman before replying and that looks fun

I'll look forward to your thoughts!!! Thanks for taking the time :)
Sorry I wasn’t able to get more thoughts to you. Play well!

Well, that was a LONG day.

We were the 2nd group off on The Black. 8:20 AM. Grass was still wet with the morning dew. That didn't help. Slept ok in the trunk of my SUV and got some breakfast in me, but obviously hard to make that walk on 4 hours sleep.

Played from the white tees (6700 yards and change) and my stated goal was 89 (although I'd forgotten it was a par 71, so the goal really should have been 88). Ended up shooting a 90. Had a chance on the last hole but my approach shot was 1 yard short (falling into a bunker and I missed an 8 foot putt).

Place lives up the hype. Really cool having everyone milling around all the courses in the lead-up to the first tee times. All 5 courses are right there so everyone is super excited. Conditions were great but MAN was it tough.

The wind was semi-calm on the front 9 but really kicked up at the turn. Made 3 or 4 420+ par 4's into basically par 5's if you missed the fairway....which I usually did. There's more rough than fairway and its punishing for sure.

Had 2 HORRENDOUS breaks that probably cost me 3 shots if not 4. Lost a ball on the 4th hole that was less than 10 feet off the fairway (a layup 7 iron). We just couldn't find it. It was unreal. Threw me on tilt....I took a drop...put one in the bunker....3 putts....8 (after just making the birdie on the #1 handicap hole....oof). Also caught a dead 90 degree right kick on a chip (hit an unrepaired crater of a pitch mark), sending it down a huge hill and turning a likely par into a double.

Made my own mistakes as well. I hit what I'd probably call 2 really bad tee shots and then just missed a bunch of fairways. Had long irons and hybrids go wayward in the wind. Just bad swings. Pissed away 2 or 3 very do-able up and down ops from just off the green and had 2 bad 3 putts as well. But I made 2 birdies (both par 5's, one from a fairway bunker), only lost 1 ball (the one right off the fairway) and beat my brother (Who is a high 6/low 7 index) so overall, I was mostly happy with it. an 89 there (from a handicap standpoint I could only take a 7 on the lost ball hole) is the equivalent of an 85 at my place...so an above average round scoring wise even with the tough conditions.

Will definitely make this an annual thing but man it would be hard to play a place like that very often. Just beats you up. No mercy. Not a single "If I hit a good drive I'll have a wedge in" par 4 on the course. That's demoralizing.

SUPER fun first day.

4-2 overall. Lost first match 2-1 after winning front 9, and then 3-0'd the second match. (1 point for front, back, and match).

First match of best ball I only thing I won 2 holes and both i had strokes. Course was wild. Shot 115 and it was generous with "good putts" when you had already won or lost the hole. An absolute nightmare of a round honestly.

Second match scramble was amazing. Had a couple own birdies, my partner played great - at one point we birdied three in a row where on all three I had a 10-20 foot putt, put it right on the edge of the hole or just past along a great line, allowed him to slightly adjust, and he sunk them. Drained a 55 footer for a birdie after I was the only one to hit the green on a 190 yard par 3. Consistently put the ball in play/middle of fairway - probably 14/18 holes. Even though we only used like 7 of them, I did my job super well. Then had a ton of great iron approaches - probably used like 60-70% of them, even though basically all par 5s my partner was able to swing away.

Tomorrow same morning course, same afternoon course (two courses, same two as today). I've got alternate shot at the nightmare course (part of which was we played from the freaking tips which murdered me because half the time I couldn't get it to the damn fairway even so it costs me more than two shots with how impossibly thick the rough is to hit out of or even find the ball at times) and then we did a fun draft between the two teams - nominate a person, other team picks a partner and the nominates one of their own and back and forth.

They tossed out the only other guy who's an 18 handicap like me and I jumped all over it instantly. We smoked him and his amazing partner today in the afternoon and I feel like I owned half the real estate in his head or more. Just gotta take care of business tomorrow.

My plan is to look at the first course holes and see which slot 1 or 2 has the most par 3s and alternate that way.

will be in NOLA for the first time in early February. can anyone recommend a course that would be considered a must play in the area for a reasonable price? or let me know what public courses I should avoid? and will the weather be an issue during that time? almanac says roughly mid 60s with chances of rain.

thanks.

Showed well on club championship weekend but lost 2 and 1 in the finals (my flight obviously. handicaps from like 9-10.5. Our new club champ is a +2 index who just joined this year and flies it like 320. SCARY)

Won my first round match 4 and 3. Drove the ball GREAT(hit 11/14 fairways and didn't miss the center of the club face) all day and shot an 84 despite not making any putts. Was even hitting draws off the tee. Tempo felt great.

Won the semis 4 and 3 again. Mediocre off the tee but scrambled much better and dropped a few putts. My opponent was an older guy(50's I think) dealing with an injury so I didn't take a ton of pride on that one. Course was SOAKED after a week of rain here in NJ so cart path only. Not ideal, but finished the job. Elected to just skip the last 3 holes and go back to the clubhouse to grab some rest/food because I had to play the finals right after the 2nd semi finished (they were behind us and the match went all the way to 18)

Played a friend of mine in the finals. Pretty even from a length/skill perspective. The body just didn't bounce back for the 2nd round (probably should have gone up to the range and casually hit balls rather than sitting around for ~40 minutes). Don't think I hit a good tee shot until 13. Stayed in it with scrambling and some good luck (my opponent had to take a very unlucky unplayable). Went down 3 a couple of times and got it back to 1 down, but never even. Hit a horrendous tee shot on 15 and then what a thought was a MIRACLE flop shot...but it came up ~2 inches short of catching a ridge. JUST missed a 15 foot par putt on 17 that would have sent us to the last. Bummer.

Glad to get to the final after I played so poorly this year (especially in competition) but disappointed to play a mediocre last match. (shot an 88 when an 86 gets me to the winner's circle) . My brother lost to the TEN time senior club champ (highest flight before the championship flight) in 22 holes by 3 putting from like 12 feet. Oof.

edit: Also....how would you guys handle a rules dispute in a tournament like this? Obviously its not some big money tournament or an actual club championship.....but I had a situation where I'm pretty sure my 2nd round opponent was trying to take advantage by playing dumb. Guy plays a LOT of golf. He knows the rules.

Dude blocked his tee shot right on a long par 5. In front the tee box and all the way up the right side of the hole is a red-stakes hazard. The ball crossed right away and, IMO, never got back into play. The ball hits a tree ~220 away and kicks left back towards the fairway. (but almost certainly not back across the red line)

It was a 50/50 "are we gonna find the ball" and he just gets in his cart to drive to it. I kinda stop him and uncomfortably bring up that I think the ball last crossed the hazard back by the tee (probably about 175-200 short of where it ended up. So if he doesn't find it, he's hitting from back here, not up there. Dude looked at me like I had 3 heads pretends like he doesn't know what I'm talking about.

Thankfully we found the ball. But it almost got awkward. I'm not some giant rules stickler but there's some money on the line here (nothing crazy. A couple hundred bucks) and I was hoping to close him out ASAP (since I was already up 3 at that point and had another 18 to play). I wasn't about to call a pro to come out and make a ruling a mile from the clubhouse but I didnt want to give the guy 175 free yards either.

Last edited:
Will be in Phienix in November. What courses do you guys recommend?
Which area? Phoenix metro is pretty big.

Off the top of my head, assuming you need public courses and don't have connections, I'd say:

Phoenix proper:
Legacy
Papago

East Valley:
Gold Canyon - Dinosaur Mountain
Trilogy at Power Ranch

North Valley/Scottdale:
Quintero
We-Ko-Pa (2 courses, both good)
TPC Scottsdale (Stadium course is the Waste Management course and good, but crazy expensive as you're paying to play the well known course. It's sister course, the "Champions" course is way cheaper and just as nice).
Grayhawk (2 courses, Talon is better)

West Valley:
Wickenburg Ranch (if still available to public)
Raven at Verrado
Ak-Chin Southern Dunes

South Valley:
Wild Horse Pass/Whirlwind (2 courses - both good)

The link below is a pretty good list. Only course off the top of my head that is a glaring omission is Elephant Rocks in Williams, AZ.

Last edited:

Off the top of my head, assuming you need public courses and don't have connections, I'd say:

Phoenix proper:
Legacy
Papago

East Valley:
Trilogy at Power Ranch

North Valley/Scottdale:
Quintero
TPC Scottsdale (Stadium course is the Waste Management course and good, but crazy expensive as you're paying to play the well known course. It's sister course, the "Champions" course is way cheaper and just as nice).

West Valley:
Raven at Verrado
Ak-Chin Southern Dunes

South Valley:

The link below is a pretty good list. Only course off the top of my head that is a glaring omission is Elephant Rocks in Williams, AZ.

Thanks! Will be staying just north of downtown on Camelback. I was looking at course at Talking Stick which looks nice but I will check out the others you listed.

edit: Also....how would you guys handle a rules dispute in a tournament like this? Obviously its not some big money tournament or an actual club championship.....but I had a situation where I'm pretty sure my 2nd round opponent was trying to take advantage by playing dumb. Guy plays a LOT of golf. He knows the rules.

Dude blocked his tee shot right on a long par 5. In front the tee box and all the way up the right side of the hole is a red-stakes hazard. The ball crossed right away and, IMO, never got back into play. The ball hits a tree ~220 away and kicks left back towards the fairway. (but almost certainly not back across the red line)

It was a 50/50 "are we gonna find the ball" and he just gets in his cart to drive to it. I kinda stop him and uncomfortably bring up that I think the ball last crossed the hazard back by the tee (probably about 175-200 short of where it ended up. So if he doesn't find it, he's hitting from back here, not up there. Dude looked at me like I had 3 heads pretends like he doesn't know what I'm talking about.

Thankfully we found the ball. But it almost got awkward. I'm not some giant rules stickler but there's some money on the line here (nothing crazy. A couple hundred bucks) and I was hoping to close him out ASAP (since I was already up 3 at that point and had another 18 to play). I wasn't about to call a pro to come out and make a ruling a mile from the clubhouse but I didnt want to give the guy 175 free yards either.
First, congrats on making the final. That's a fun accomplishment and demonstrates that you can play under pressure.

As to the rules issue, assuming I'm understanding you correctly and that the ball went into the hazard almost immediately and never came out (despite, and I think this is what I'm struggling to picture, it carried almost 200 yards in the hazard!?), you are correct and I imagine he was feel desperately competitive.* Glad he found the ball though so it wasn't awkward.

*I'm also assuming that you're club doesn't have some local/custom drop rule or some such that supersedes the normal rules of golf. For example, my club does have specific drop and hazard rules for the whole course and certain holes that are different and would supersede the normal rule.

Phoenix proper:
Legacy
Papago

East Valley:
Trilogy at Power Ranch

North Valley/Scottdale:
Quintero

West Valley:
Raven at Verrado
Ak-Chin Southern Dunes

South Valley:

Thanks! Will be staying just north of downtown on Camelback. I was looking at course at Talking Stick which looks nice but I will check out the others you listed.
Talking Stick is okay. It's pretty wide open as it's a resort course. I think there are much better value courses and much better courses in general, though.

Phoenix proper:
Legacy
Papago

East Valley:
Trilogy at Power Ranch

North Valley/Scottdale:
Quintero

West Valley:
Raven at Verrado
Ak-Chin Southern Dunes

South Valley:

Talking Stick is okay. It's pretty wide open as it's a resort course. I think there are much better value courses and much better courses in general, though.
What do you mean it is wide open? Does that mean it is more forgiving on people who don't hit the fairway regularly?

First, congrats on making the final. That's a fun accomplishment and demonstrates that you can play under pressure.

As to the rules issue, assuming I'm understanding you correctly and that the ball went into the hazard almost immediately and never came out (despite, and I think this is what I'm struggling to picture, it carried almost 200 yards in the hazard!?), you are correct and I imagine he was feel desperately competitive.* Glad he found the ball though so it wasn't awkward.

*I'm also assuming that you're club doesn't have some local/custom drop rule or some such that supersedes the normal rules of golf. For example, my club does have specific drop and hazard rules for the whole course and certain holes that are different and would supersede the normal rule.

Thanks. Always fun to challenge yourself under the gun. Won some lower flights 2 and 3 years ago but haven't been able to close the deal against the high single digits guys. Maybe next year

Correct, the whole right side of the hole plays as a red-stakes hazard.

I was actually gonna draw the stupid thing in paint but then realized the flyover is on youtube. :bag:

If you pause right at :17, the tree at the far right side of the screen is the one he hit. All the crap between the tree and the rough is much thinner and cut down right now, so we found the ball just inside the hazard. From I could see, he never crossed back into play and would have to drop just right of the front tee box (or re-tee)

No local rule. It plays as a normal red stakes. Drop where you last crossed.

Last edited:

Thanks. Always fun to challenge yourself under the gun. Won some lower flights 2 and 3 years ago but haven't been able to close the deal against the high single digits guys. Maybe next year

I was actually gonna draw the stupid thing in paint but then realized the flyover is on youtube. :bag:

If you pause right at :17, the tree at the far right side of the screen is the one he hit. All the crap between the tree and the rough is much thinner and cut down right now, so we found the ball just inside the hazard. From I could see, he never crossed back into play and would have to drop just right of the front tee box (or re-tee)

Oh, wow, so he hit like a blocked draw or something?

Phoenix proper:
Legacy
Papago

East Valley:
Trilogy at Power Ranch

North Valley/Scottdale:
Quintero

West Valley:
Raven at Verrado
Ak-Chin Southern Dunes

South Valley:

What do you mean it is wide open? Does that mean it is more forgiving on people who don't hit the fairway regularly?
Like the course is out on a grid so a lot of the holes run parallel to each other. In other words, it doesn't weave through a neighborhood or some natural terrain with cliffs and stuff.

It's been probably ten years since I played it though.

Oh, wow, so he hit like a blocked draw or something?
basically.

Users who are viewing this thread