What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Ricky Pearsall, SF (6 Viewers)

Do we really think Deebo is getting traded now? Post draft?

Meh... I wanted this guy, badly. But now I cant justify the price. That cap gonna go up again year after year. Rookie QB deal... They can keep deebo if they really want to

Matt Maiocco
I checked in with the long-time NFL scout to get his reaction on the #49ers taking Ricky Pearsall.

“Solid pick, but Ladd will be a better pro. Guaranteed.”
Perhaps I'm in minority but I actually rated Pearsall higher than McConkey. And Pearsall actually end up in much favorable situation than McConkey with Chargers (providing 49ers sort out their WRs between Aiyuk and Deebo, ofc).

If anything, I suspect 49ers HC Shanahan wants to utilize Pearsall similarly as Puka Nacua / Cooper Kupp by Rams HC McVay.

How is Pearsall’s situation better? Prior to a WR trade, he’d be the #5 option in the passing game. McConkey could be the #1 or 2 option for Herbert.
Quite simply, I trust Kyle Shanahan more than Greg Roman when it comes to play-calling and offense scheme. Sure, McConkey's is much more favorable than Pearsall... short-term but long-term, it's Pearsall.

Do we really think Deebo is getting traded now? Post draft?

Meh... I wanted this guy, badly. But now I cant justify the price. That cap gonna go up again year after year. Rookie QB deal... They can keep deebo if they really want to
49ers know they cannot keep every talent player they have. They have to make a move in order to retain their contention for championship. It made sense on wanting to off-load Deebo.

Quite simply, I trust Kyle Shanahan more than Greg Roman when it comes to play-calling and offense scheme. Sure, McConkey's is much more favorable than Pearsall... short-term but long-term, it's Pearsall.

not to mention's Ladd's injury history. Pearsall ahead of McConkey for me in dynasty as well.

This whole 'when he gets traded' talk is all a bit hopeful.

they are in negotiations with the Patriots as of yesterday.

If you are handicapping the situation, what do you think the % chances are that Deebo sticks with the 49ers this season?
just looked again on Twitter, it appears that the Pats and Bills are now not actively pursuing Deebo...so who knows what's going on. The fact that the Niners haven't taken him off the table publicly could mean they are still in negotiations.

Last edited:
That was the rumor during day 1 of the draft. Heard nothing since Thursday about either one.

yes, I updated above.

It is interesting to me, the Niners haven't taken Deebo off the table. If they weren't going to trade him, they'd have made a statement by now IMHO.

This whole 'when he gets traded' talk is all a bit hopeful.

they are in negotiations with the Patriots as of yesterday.

If you are handicapping the situation, what do you think the % chances are that Deebo sticks with the 49ers this season?
That was the rumor during day 1 of the draft. Heard nothing since Thursday about either one.
Yup.

Sources: While the #49ers have listened to calls on All-Pro WR Deebo Samuel, sources say the #Patriots and #Bills are considered highly unlikely to trade for him.

49ers John Lynch said of potential trade talks involving Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk today:
"We didn’t entertain any of that today. We’re happy with our wide receiver group. Actually, more than happy. We’re thrilled with it. And thrilled to add Ricky to it to make it stronger"

@32BeatWriters
Shanahan on rookie WR Ricky Pearsall: "He just plays the position real well... whether he was outside, inside, either receiver, all three of the positions, he can separate down the field, he can separate underneath. He's got really good hands, extremely smart, very well developed... You can just see he's worked on his routes, put in a lot of hours because you can see it on tape and there's really nothing he can't do. He can fit in whatever role based off the other guys."

49erswebzone.com/articles/18025…

@32BeatWriters
Despite having one target knocked down, “(Ricky Pearsall) still had an impressive session that included a pair of catches... On one of them, Pearsall went to the ground to dig out a pass in traffic. On another, he created plenty of space on a comeback route. Both passes were thrown by Purdy.”

Sterling Bennett
Kyle Shanahan on Ricky Pearsall increased reps w/o Aiyuk & Jennings on the field:

“More reps you get, more experience you get, the more different situations you can be put in. If you’re talented enough and made of the right stuff, you only get better…”

#49ers | #FTTB

David Lombardi
First open 49ers OTA practice is over. Mostly 7-on-7 work. Ricky Pearsall looked good, caught several passes and generated some real separation. Most spirited rep was one he lost: Rock Ya-Sin broke up a deep out.

Brock Purdy looked comfortable throwing to Deebo and — blast from the past — Trent Taylor. In fact, Purdy’s Mahomesesque (Purdian?) play of the day was a roll-left, throw-back-deep-right off-schedule TD to Taylor

@32BeatWriters
Shanahan on rookie WR Ricky Pearsall:

“He’s doing a really good job. He’s got really good hands, so he always catches it. He’s rarely going to have a drop. We’re giving him a lot of reps, he’s getting a lot of different routes, he’s trying all the positions. We’ve been really impressed with how he’s started off.”

David Lombardi
Ricky Pearsall was again getting consistently open at 49ers practice. He’s looked good every single time we’ve seen him on the field since the draft. Made a nice, physical contested catch against rookie Renardo Green on the sideline today, too

95.7 The Game
"It looks like the Niners may have their version of Stafford to Puka" with Brock Purdy and Ricky Pearsall. 👀

- @sportslarryk says the connection between Brock and the 49ers' 1st-round rookie WR is "quickly becoming something" (via @WillardAndDibs).

🎧 go.audacy.com/TUyLxDqWbKb

Spoiler: Cosell compares Pearsall to Aiyuk, which is fascinating and makes sense if there's a possibility of the 49ers moving Aiyuk. All the talk is about moving Deebo but the 49ers don't have anyone else with his skillset. If the plan was to move Deebo it would've made sense to draft Malachi Corley instead.
I am surprised they did not trade Aiyuk during the draft as I really do not think they want to pay him. Pearsall is going to make owners real happy in a year or too.

Spoiler: Cosell compares Pearsall to Aiyuk, which is fascinating and makes sense if there's a possibility of the 49ers moving Aiyuk. All the talk is about moving Deebo but the 49ers don't have anyone else with his skillset. If the plan was to move Deebo it would've made sense to draft Malachi Corley instead.
I am surprised they did not trade Aiyuk during the draft as I really do not think they want to pay him. Pearsall is going to make owners real happy in a year or too.
Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if they take a chance at letting him walk for a chance to win a Super Bowl this season with him. And if Aiyuk does walk then there is a clear path for Pearsall to be long-term WR1 for this team.

Am I nuts to take this guy at the 1.09? Over the likes of Ladd, Coleman? Caleb? (1QB)

All of Ladd, and Keon have warts .. but as a Purdy owner - I’m having a hard time NOT drafting this guy. Of course I will try and trade down into the early 2nd.

But if I can’t? Honestly I feel like this is a copper Kupp situation here.

@32BeatWriters
"What Pearsall brings to the table is he's more like Aiyuk than he is like Samuel. He's a good route runner, good hands, he can beat man coverage, all those things that the 49ers have in Brandon Aiyuk. I did notice on the practice field Tuesday, Ricky Pearsall just looks the part."

Am I nuts to take this guy at the 1.09? Over the likes of Ladd, Coleman? Caleb? (1QB)

All of Ladd, and Keon have warts .. but as a Purdy owner - I’m having a hard time NOT drafting this guy. Of course I will try and trade down into the early 2nd.

Go with your gut. Better to be wrong and take the player you believe in then it is to be right and miss out. Trust me I know.

How much does the fact he turns 24 in September affect your ranking of this guy?
Not too much for me. Calvin Ridley, Terry McLaurin, and Tank Dell are recent examples of WRs who did well for themselves as 24-year-old rookies. There may not be much room for further development, but if the player is already good, it won’t matter. I’m inclined to think he’ll be fantastic when he gets opportunities to produce. For me it’s a question of how long it’ll be until then. I don’t see enough volume for him to be startable in fantasy this season unless Aiyuk or Deebo is traded.

I’m more concerned about someone like Legette as a 23-year-old rookie only because he’s considered raw especially for someone his age and needs a lot more refinement.

How much does the fact he turns 24 in September affect your ranking of this guy?
Maybe a little but while Shanahan and Lynch have had their fair share of questionable picks they’ve also hit on quite a few. He asks a lot of his WRs and the only other one they’ve selected in the first round is Aiyuk. Shanahan must see something in him. It’s commonly thought that one of Aiyuk or Deebo will be gone after this season and while Kittle is a warrior (fun fact: his middle name just happens to be Krieger which is German for warrior) he will be turning 31 in October. CMC is a beast but how many workhorse years does he realistically have left in him? If Purdy is the real deal, which he hasn’t given us any reason to believe he isn’t, then there’s going to be premium targets to be had in this offense as he hits his prime.

All of that said… the smarter play may be to let someone else draft him and try and swing a trade for him during the season if all of the vets are balling out and he’s only receiving minimal playtime at that point. Easier said than done nowadays with all of the information out there and fantasy footballers being more knowledgeable in general but the owner in your league may have a more pressing need elsewhere at some point. I didn’t have any high picks in either of my dynasty leagues this year so that’s how I am going to have to go about obtaining any possible shares anyway.

I have such a tough time between the bad breakout age, and the path to 100+ targets.
Plus, I think he gets a benefit of the doubt from being drafted by the 49ers.

Where he is going in rookie drafts (14-18ish?) I think he's worth it, but I am more excited about taking Javon Baker two rounds later, than I am about Pearsall where he's going. (I play in IDP leagues, so ADP might be off a bit to your rookie drafts)

Assuming/hoping Aiyuk leaves is a bad bet, IMO. The 49ers can make his contract work, Aiyuk can have low cap numbers for two years, and a bunch of older expensive guys can/will be gone.

I don't see upside to WR1 work. The offense spreads it around, and he has 4 all-stars around him taking targets.

Being that age as a rookie with the expected wait time being at least a season before being a real statistical contributor is a big problem for me. I like the player but passed on him over and over in various drafts. He’s not going to have a lot of trade value so if you take him, you’re signing up for the long haul IMO. I prefer to collect players that put up numbers faster and have a short runway to increased trade value. By the time he does anything he’ll be finishing his age 25 season and you’ll basically have one year to move him at good value before folks start discounting his age. And that’s if it all goes well. If he doesn’t produce that year he’s toast. It’s like drawing to an inside straight.

Hadn't been looking at the rookies' ages much this year ... good call, thanks for pointing this out. Big difference maker.
Some things to consider in regards to rookies this season is many of them are older than usual and often this is in part because of much of the 2020 season being lost to Covid.

In Pearsals case he has a breakout at age 21 which is later than one is looking for.

However in 2020 Arizona only had 4 games. So hard to break out with so few games.

In 2019 he was a freshman and Brandon Aiyuk was their main WR.

So Pearsall breaking out at 21 doesnt seem late to me in this context. He did so at first actual opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread