What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 ACC Football - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

big game this weekend in Durham. i think Miami is still quite overrated. good litmus test game for both teams.
Win or lose for Duke this weekend, it's nice to see that the Cutcliffe Era has brought Wallace Wade Stadium back to life with students and alumni.

Speaking of Wallace Wade stadium, will the ACC ever require Duke to actually bring its stadium up to BCS conference standards?

Duke University announced plans for a $250 million athletics initiative, with $100 million earmarked for athletic facilities renovations. Part of that $100 million will go to a major upgrade to 83-year old Wallace Wade Stadium that will increase capacity to 43,915.

At its current capacity of 33,941, Wallace Wade Stadium is the second smallest football stadium in the expanded ACC (including Pittsburgh, Syracuse and kinda Notre Dame), ahead of only Wake's 31,500-seat BB&T Field. The capacity increase to 43,915 will bring Duke closer to, but not surpass BC's 44,500-seat Alumni Stadium.

Moving the track opens the door for the first stage of Wallace Wade's transformation. The track that circles the field will be removed and the field will be lowered. The stands will be extended closer to the field. At the same time, the press box will be demolished (with Duke Sports Medicine, which shares the facility, moving to a new location) and replaced with a new tower that will include premium club seating, loges and suites.

Also on tap is a new pedestrian plaza connecting Wade, Cameron and the Yoh Center. It will serve as a grand entrance to both the football and basketball stadiums. As part of the project, Duke will construct - adjacent to the Murray Building - a three-level pavilion that will feature new ticket offices and a team store for the public, offices for the athletic department, new training rooms, and a weight room for Olympic sport student-athletes.

The final phase of the Wade project will be closing in the open end of the horseshoe to turn the stadium into a bowl. The new seating capacity is projected to be 43,915.

I'm looking forward to going to the ECU vs NC State game this weekend in Raleigh. :pirate:

How about Glennon playing pretty well for the Bucs. He became the starter not under the best of circumstances, but he is making the most of it. He even slides well. :wolf:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to going to the ECU vs NC State game this weekend in Raleigh. :pirate:

How about Glennon playing pretty well for the Bucs. He became the starter not under the best of circumstances, but he is making the most of it. He even slides well. :wolf:
I hope State makes a game of it. In rivalry games anything can happen. That's what I'm telling myself.

I'm happy for Glennon getting this chance as a rookie. The Bucs are such a question mark right now, and who knows what changes will happen to that organization next year, but Glennon is getting great experience, and he is showing that he belongs in the NFL, and he is showing that he can play under adversity.

9 Wins, with possibly 10 coming next week in Cheating Hill. On the one hand, SO EXCITED at the the thought of a 10 win season. But all that really gets Duke is a complete #### whipping by FSU in the ACC Championship game...hmmm.....I think I'll take the FSU whipping Alex!

I'll miss Jim Grobe in the ACC. I understand why he decided to step down, and I know the last two years have been disappointing for the program, but he is such as solid person/good man, and he did bring Wake Forest football back to relevancy during his tenure. He was the most successful football coach in their school history, and I hope he is proud of that.

Grobe is a class act.

Cutcliffe won a well deserved Coach of the Year. It was a bad year for my Wolfpack. The OP of this thread was anxious for the beginning of Carolina's season, and then never came back after their first game. I guess he gave up after game #1. They ended the season well.

Hopefully the Dookies will give FSU a competitive game this weekend in the ACC Championship. I'll be rooting for the underdog.

Doeren is way behind the 8 ball at this point. I hear that big Deb is telling donors that next year will be a sub 500 year but 2015 we should see improvement. She is also calling folks about donating towards teh 40 million renovation at Reynolds. I am not sure if this indicates more mens bball being played there but overall its a horrendous waste of money.

Our recruiting is in the 30's so thats a big plus considering TOB planted us in the 70's for a few years

Was Grobe forced out? Will he look to coach again or walk off into the sunset now? I thought he got as much out of WF over the years as one can. Almost impossible to recruit there.

Was Grobe forced out? Will he look to coach again or walk off into the sunset now? I thought he got as much out of WF over the years as one can. Almost impossible to recruit there.
No, he wasn't forced out. He shocked their AD two days ago when he told him in a meeting he was going to step down. I saw him interviewed, and he basically said the last two years they fell short of expectations, and he felt it was time for them to bring someone new in, and see if they can take them in a better direction. He's a great guy. He said he might coach again somewhere else eventually.

Hopefully the Dookies will give FSU a competitive game this weekend in the ACC Championship. I'll be rooting for the underdog.
Just checked Stubhub and here's the tally for the cheapest seats available for the Championship games:

SEC: $198

BIG 10:$130
(gap)
PAC 12: $55
(gap)
(more gap)
ACC: $11
...and that's with a Carolina school in it. On the bright side, however, is that last year's tickets went for a whopping $2 each. So there's nice growth this year. ; )

Just checked Stubhub and here's the tally for the cheapest seats available for the Championship games:

(gap)
(gap)
(more gap)
...and that's with a Carolina school in it. On the bright side, however, is that last year's tickets went for a whopping $2 each. So there's nice growth this year. ; )
What's with the wink? We all know you hate the ACC.

omally said:
Tango said:
omally said:

(gap)
(gap)
(more gap)
What's with the wink? We all know you hate the ACC.
Yes, that's correct...

but if Im picking on the conference; I am trying to keep everything as fact-based as I can. For example, the price for getting in the door of the premier event in ACC football is now $9.50.

http://www.stubhub.com/acc-championship-football-tickets/2013-acc-championship-football-game-12-7-2013-4236815/

Seriously, if I was John Swofford, I would give my admin my credit card and tell him/her to buy up every seat until the price at least got to Pac 12 levels. But there are at least 100 posts with prices at $17 and under with an average of at least 3.x tickets per post, so it might be an expensive proposition. But still....this is happening year after year and it must be embarrassing.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/12/syracuse_athletic_director_dar_1.html

Gary Fineout of the AP:

"Syracuse AD emailed ACC directors in Nov. lamenting current structure and said it minimized chance for teams to play in major media markets"

I think Syracuse doesnt get Miami at home until 2024? Im sure there will be much sympathy for that....ha ha. Welcome to your new digs Syracuse. You used to run the Big East and game it skilfully so that you'd be Sportscenter's lead as much as any school could possibly ask for. ...those days are over.

The ACC 'ole-boys in NC own you now.

Doeren is way behind the 8 ball at this point. I hear that big Deb is telling donors that next year will be a sub 500 year but 2015 we should see improvement. She is also calling folks about donating towards teh 40 million renovation at Reynolds. I am not sure if this indicates more mens bball being played there but overall its a horrendous waste of money.

Our recruiting is in the 30's so thats a big plus considering TOB planted us in the 70's for a few years
What did you expect? TOB left a roster with very little talent and very little depth. It's going to take the next two recruiting classes to elevate the talent level to the point that the team will be competitive. That's not Doeren's fault, and fortunately he is showing signs of being a very effective recruiter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/65448/acc-needs-big-wins-from-clemson-fsu

"The ACC....rep remains in shambles. "

Bowl records:

1. SEC 5-1

2. P12 6-3

3. B12 2-2

4. AAC 2-2

5. MWC 3-3

6. B1G 2-4

7. ACC 3-6 (Ws from Syracuse, UNC, Pittsburgh)

8. MAC 0-4
Bowl records to judge conferences are stupid. ACC plays better competition in OOC games during the season because they are the ones willing to matchup against the SEC. Plus, they are well positioned moving forward. Louisville won it's bowl game and Maryland lost it's bowl game. Plus Notre Dame won their game too. Many want to claim the ACC is far and away the #5 BCS conference but it's not true. This year it's SEC, then Pac-12, then the other three and the ACC has a chance to win the BCS championship. Anyone using "shambles" to describe that but not the Big 12 (champion lost to UCF) or Big Ten (terrible this year) is kind of ignorant.

Bowl records:

1. SEC 5-1

2. P12 6-3

3. B12 2-2

4. AAC 2-2

5. MWC 3-3

6. B1G 2-4

8. MAC 0-4
Bowl records to judge conferences are stupid.

<snip>

Louisville won it's bowl game
Better SOS OOC? Not translating to any power in the ACC Th RPI makes it clear.

1. SEC

2. B12

3. B1G

4. B12

5. ACC

Here the ACC moves from 7 all the up to the lofty position of 5.

And the ACC is dead anyway if there is any need to count on Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, et al ...and especially if anyone points to the strength of the ACC by citing Louisville crushing Miami!

Bowl records:

1. SEC 5-1

2. P12 6-3

3. B12 2-2

4. AAC 2-2

5. MWC 3-3

6. B1G 2-4

8. MAC 0-4
Bowl records to judge conferences are stupid.

<snip>

Louisville won it's bowl game
Better SOS OOC? Not translating to any power in the ACC Th RPI makes it clear.

1. SEC

2. B12

3. B1G

4. B12

5. ACC

Here the ACC moves from 7 all the up to the lofty position of 5.

And the ACC is dead anyway if there is any need to count on Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, et al ...and especially if anyone points to the strength of the ACC by citing Louisville crushing Miami!
Louisville is an upgrade over Maryland. Maryland and Rutgers weakens the Big Ten in terms of football strength. The alliance with Notre Dame helps the ACC tremendously in terms of money and SOS. ACC team has a good shot to win a national title Monday night. I'd say they are much better off today than they were a year ago, for example.

Louisville is an upgrade over Maryland. Maryland and Rutgers weakens the Big Ten in terms of football strength. The alliance with Notre Dame helps the ACC tremendously in terms of money and SOS. ACC team has a good shot to win a national title Monday night. I'd say they are much better off today than they were a year ago, for example.
Well if your objective is to say the ACC is not awful...then you'll be able to find a way to do it somehow and at least convince yourself.

Bottom line is that the ACC is:

5th in basketball

5th in football

...but, on the bright side, the ACC is clearly:

#1 in unjustified media attention

#1 in alienating its own members

My team is about to be #1 in the nation after Monday night. Pretty much all I care about. :shrug:

Conference honks are weird.

My team is about to be #1 in the nation after Monday night. Pretty much all I care about. :shrug:

I used to be that way too. But rooting for my conference was another way for me to enjoy more football and basketball; so it really grew on me over time.

I still watch every Syracuse game, but my total college viewing is down 80%+ because I no longer have a conference rooting interest (other than hoping all ACC teams lose all the time...thankfully, the ACC has been fairly cooperative in that respect)

I used to be that way too. But rooting for my conference was another way for me to enjoy more football and basketball; so it really grew on me over time.

I still watch every Syracuse game, but my total college viewing is down 80%+ because I no longer have a conference rooting interest (other than hoping all ACC teams lose all the time...thankfully, the ACC has been fairly cooperative in that respect)
Guess which ACC team hasn't even cooperative in that respect.

Well if your objective is to say the ACC is not awful...then you'll be able to find a way to do it somehow and at least convince yourself.

Bottom line is that the ACC is:

5th in basketball

5th in football

...but, on the bright side, the ACC is clearly:

#1 in unjustified media attention

#1 in alienating its own members
True. And if you want to be a miserable human looking for every negative aspect because you're frustrated you're in this conference instead of being lucky you're not UConn then that's easy to do too.

All I care about is the ACC gets exposure because that helps Ga Tech. I think the conference is much better off now than it was a year ago. Performance wise it was terrible for a few years. It was not terrible this year though.

There is no doubt the ACC is in better shape. Two BCS teams, one of which is favored to win the title. 2 Heisman finalists, one who won. Clemson has beat LSU and Georgia in the past year. Trading in a hot Lousiville program for a half-dead Maryland squad. Adding the Notre Dame package. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise.

I thought adding Cuse and Pitt was just more flotsam for the football side but they make basketball better.

There is no doubt the ACC is in better shape. Two BCS teams, one of which is favored to win the title. 2 Heisman finalists, one who won. Clemson has beat LSU and Georgia in the past year. Trading in a hot Lousiville program for a half-dead Maryland squad. Adding the Notre Dame package. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise.

I thought adding Cuse and Pitt was just more flotsam for the football side but they make basketball better.
The ACC might be in great shape...except that it's not the ACC anymore.

Maryland *is* the ACC as much as any non-NC-school is. I'd rather lose with integrity than win by fraud. What I mean by that is that I think the B1G is *better off* than the ACC due precisely to the fact that Maryland will be mired in the middle/bottom-half of that conference. The B1G is not counting on Maryland to be a headliner of what its conference is...much the way they integrated Nebraska.

On the other hand, the ACC pointing to the greatness of its conference because of carpet-baggers like Syracuse lacks credibility for the conference...and, even worse, pointing to the fact that Louisville blew away Miami is, well, ....ironic/comical/you-pick-the-word....

Maryland *is* the ACC as much as any non-NC-school is. I'd rather lose with integrity than win by fraud. What I mean by that is that I think the B1G is *better off* than the ACC due precisely to the fact that Maryland will be mired in the middle/bottom-half of that conference. The B1G is not counting on Maryland to be a headliner of what its conference is...much the way they integrated Nebraska.

On the other hand, the ACC pointing to the greatness of its conference because of carpet-baggers like Syracuse lacks credibility for the conference...and, even worse, pointing to the fact that Louisville blew away Miami is, well, ....ironic/comical/you-pick-the-word....
Who is pointing to Louisville to lead the conference? What are you talking about?

Football wise Louisville is a better program than Maryland and betters the depth of the conference. That's a positive.

Who is pointing to Louisville to lead the conference? What are you talking about?

Football wise Louisville is a better program than Maryland and betters the depth of the conference. That's a positive.
"Lead the conference"? Who said that? I said "headliner" and "pointing to". The Louisville bowl performance piece I referred to was in post #126 above.

...though, on a national level, you can definitely make the case that Syracuse is leading the conference in basketball if you wanted to.

The point is that the ACC is counting on its imports for a significant portion of its power. The B1G powers shrug their shoulders at their imports. Therefore is the ACC even the ACC anymore if it is counting on its imports to make up for the performance of many of its core schools? I think most would say the ACC is not the ACC anymore and that it is (1) unfortunate for all involved IMHO (Im sure you'd agree with that), and (2) not a reason to instill more pride for the ACC in its fans hearts.

"The point is that the ACC is counting on its imports for a significant portion of its power. "

Not sure what you're watching or even talking about but nationally this is perceived (and really is) Florida State's conference for football and UNC/Duke's for basketball.

They aren't counting on the imports to do anything but add depth.

"Lead the conference"? Who said that? I said "headliner" and "pointing to". The Louisville bowl performance piece I referred to was in post #126 above.

...though, on a national level, you can definitely make the case that Syracuse is leading the conference in basketball if you wanted to.

The point is that the ACC is counting on its imports for a significant portion of its power. The B1G powers shrug their shoulders at their imports. Therefore is the ACC even the ACC anymore if it is counting on its imports to make up for the performance of many of its core schools? I think most would say the ACC is not the ACC anymore and that it is (1) unfortunate for all involved IMHO (Im sure you'd agree with that), and (2) not a reason to instill more pride for the ACC in its fans hearts.
There are 5 schools that would say the ACC is not the ACC anymore and those are UVA and the four NC schools because they are all basketball first schools. The B1G is Michigan, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Penn St and import Nebraska in terms of national powers. The ACC is FSU, Clemson, Miami, and Va Tech so looks like the ACC will depend on an import as much as the B1G depends on Nebraska. As a GT fan I'm more happy to be playing Miami, Louisville, or Va Tech in football as I am NC State, Maryland, or Wake Forest for example. I just wish we'd stop playing two free wins every year and I hope college football moves more towards a better scheduling model.

Is the SEC hurting because Missouri and Texas A&M have had a lot of success as imports?

I don't even know what point you're trying to make other than you're angry Syracuse is just another team in the ACC instead of a big boy in the Big East. That's not the ACC's fault. Syracuse can fix that by playing better football. But you can blame ESPN and the TV contracts for the conference setup and why I believe the Big 12 will eventually break up as well.

Preaching to the choir. I'd love to boot all these damn Yankee schools, but here we are. Nobody wanted this shotgun wedding, but have a beer and some bacon-wrapped scallops.

ACC felt the need to try to get stronger, which made some sense. Either way, it's done. If tradition is going to be damned anyway, I'll take a Louisville-Maryland swap.

And don't worry, the Yankee schools aren't here to lead anything on the field or court. Just shore up some highly populated markets a little. The Southern football schools and the NC basketball schools will take care of the rest.

Pointing out how bad the ACC is and has been is a useless exercise. Everybody knows it. The invasion of the Big East has been ruthless, and hasn't provided the desired results yet. This isn't news.

Users who are viewing this thread