What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (1 Viewer)

I don't recall reading that anywhere.  :coffee:

Yeah, right, I am sure it was.  :coffee:

I'm going to ping the @FBG Moderator here.

So you call people liars because you didn't read something or you didn't watch something.

Then when others present the actual reference material being discussed, you try to gas light them by still blindly calling them liars.

Let's be clear what is going on here - YOU ARE CALLING PEOPLE LIARS SIMPLY FOR THEIR POLITICAL VIEWPOINT WHICH DIFFERS FROM YOURS. YOU ARE INTENTIONALLY ENGAGING IN BAD FAITH FOR YOUR PERSONAL SPORT.

What you've done is discourage people from discussing practical referenced material in the entire PSF. For your tribalism. Because you want to run a cheap hit and run attack against the Conservative viewpoint. That toxic behavior is OPENLY ANTI-COMMUNITY.  It punishes everyone who posts here, no matter their personal political ideology. And this isn't your first rodeo with sealioning people here. 

So you call people liars because you didn't read something or you didn't watch something.

Then when others present the actual reference material being discussed, you try to gas light them by still blindly calling them liars.

Let's be clear what is going on here - YOU ARE CALLING PEOPLE LIARS SIMPLY FOR THEIR POLITICAL VIEWPOINT WHICH DIFFERS FROM YOURS. YOU ARE INTENTIONALLY ENGAGING IN BAD FAITH FOR YOUR PERSONAL SPORT.

What you've done is discourage people from discussing practical referenced material in the entire PSF. For your tribalism. Because you want to run a cheap hit and run attack against the Conservative viewpoint. That toxic behavior is OPENLY ANTI-COMMUNITY.  It punishes everyone who posts here, no matter their personal political ideology. And this isn't your first rodeo with sealioning people here. 

What?  This happens in the Jan 6 thread every time there is testimony - but as far as I know nobody is getting reported.

It strikes me as rather foolish for a member of Congress to protest a judicial decision for putting an issue squarely in the hands of Congress. The sensible way for AOC to protect abortion rights would be to introduce a bill, not to block traffic.
I don’t think it’s foolish. It’s quite common for politicians to use the media (social and regular) for reasons other than strictly legislative— messaging, fund raising, riling up the base, etc. I’m sure there is also some networking being done at such a protest. 

Regardless, she is pursuing this legislatively as well:

Rep. AOC believes that now is the time to codify the reproductive rights afforded by Roe v. Wade into law. That is why she proudly co-sponsored and voted for the Women’s Health Protection Act (WHPA), which would legislatively protect abortion rights

https://ocasio-cortez.house.gov/legislation/reproductive-rights

1. A lie is an intentionally wrong statement. He may believe NB is unintentionally mistaken. 

2. Proper referencing is more than stating it was in a movie. 

3. I suspect Squisition is correct and NB is wrong. If there was such a clip it would be easy to find and widely shared. As you likely know, there have been allegations for years that AOC is a puppet. However, if someone can find that clip, I’m more than willing to stand corrected. 

It strikes me as rather foolish for a member of Congress to protest a judicial decision for putting an issue squarely in the hands of Congress. The sensible way for AOC to protect abortion rights would be to introduce a bill, not to block traffic.
They've sent the message that high profile members of congress can get arrested for breaking laws. That may come in handy soon.

:Sigh:

Gordon, I didn't call anyone a liar.

However, I was expressing skepticism that AOC ever said this, particularly since no link was or has been provided outside of the suggestion "Go watch the documentary on Netflix" ( :rolleyes: I not going to spend the time doing that if someone can't provide any actual proof. Besides I am not a Netflix subscriber).

If proof exists in the form of a link to a short YouTube video clip or a printed quote verifying she made that statement, then I will say that I stand corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
:Sigh:

Gordon, I didn't call anyone a liar.

However, I was expressing skepticism that AOC ever said this, particularly since no link was or has been provided outside of the suggestion "Go watch the documentary on Netflix" ( :rolleyes: I not going to spend the time doing that if someone can't provide any actual proof. Besides I am not a Netflix subscriber).

If proof exists in the form of a link to a short YouTube video clip or a printed quote verifying she made that statement, then I will say that I stand corrected.
You’ve stated you don’t watch YouTube links from here. 

You’ve stated you don’t watch YouTube links from here. 

No, I never said that. I said I won't watch YouTube clips that are unidentified as to content, but I will watch brief ones that verify that someone made or did not make some statement (like those on Biden, Pelosi, etc.) And I have even posted YouTube clips myself on occasion. 

Have you tried Google News? A plethora of reliable sources all say she was arrested. Is any news outlet at all saying that she wasn't?
yes she was "Arrested" but thats all

http://www.jctlegal.com/immigration-blog/qa-whats-is-the-difference-between-being-arrested-charged-sentenced-or-placed-in-alternative-sentencing

Arrested -- This means that you were taken in to custody by the police. Once you are taken in to custody, it will be decided if you will be charged with a crime. Someone who is arrested is not necessary charged with a crime

Charged -- Once you are in the custody of the police, the prosecutor's office (aka state attorney, district attorney) will decide whether to charge you. If you are charged, you will be given a charging document (sometimes also called complaint or information). This charging document will state exactly what crimes (charges) you are facing.

By definition, she was "arrested," but to be charged is a whole other animal....but then again, the headlines wont make that distinction b/c it wont gain clicks. 

Show me the mugshot at the station, then I'll concede she got arrested.

Looks like Ally Cortez, Omar and Tlaib were arrested among others.

People: Members of Congress who were arrested include Reps. Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts, Barbara Lee of California, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan, Jan Schakowsky of Illinois, Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania, Cori Bush of Missouri, Carolyn Maloney of New York, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York and Alma Adams of North Carolina.

Looks like Ally Cortez, Omar and Tlaib were arrested among others.

People: Members of Congress who were arrested include Reps. Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts, Barbara Lee of California, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan, Jan Schakowsky of Illinois, Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania, Cori Bush of Missouri, Carolyn Maloney of New York, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York and Alma Adams of North Carolina.

$50 fine too.

Never has anyone so insignificant done such a great job making herself/himself significant…she is as good as it gets in that department…gotta give her credit…I can not wait for Pelosi to retire/step down and watch her and her crew make their power move…it is going to be a donnybrook.

Never has anyone so insignificant done such a great job making herself/himself significant…she is as good as it gets in that department…gotta give her credit…I can not wait for Pelosi to retire/step down and watch her and her crew make their power move…it is going to be a donnybrook.
I doubt folks in her district feel that way -- she's probably one of the more accomplished Reps 

How many years away is this power move, in your opinion? 

To be fair she had a LOT of help from you all.  Don't sell yourselves short!

It strikes me as rather foolish for a member of Congress to unlawfully protest a judicial decision for putting an issue squarely in the hands of Congress. The sensible way for AOC to protect abortion rights would be to introduce a bill, not to block traffic.
Pretty sure the House already passed that bill? 

The Women’s Health Protection Act would enshrine the protections of Roe v. Wade into law. The House already passed the bill last year, but it did not advance in a Senate vote in May. The House passed the bill, 219-210, prompting applause from Democrats in the chamber. All Republicans and Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Tex.) voted against the measure.”

Then she should be protesting against the Senate, which, being a political body and therefore an organ of majoritarianism, might even be moved by protests.

Definitely not the Supreme Court.

Then she should be protesting against the Senate, which, being a political body and therefore an organ of majoritarianism, might even be moved by protests.

Definitely not the Supreme Court.

If you're gonna get this pedantic about it, I will return your pendantry and point out that the Supreme Court is across the street from the Senate side of the Capitol and the Hart and Dirksen buildings, and caddy corner from Russell.  So she was basically protesting against Senate by being in that location too. Five protests for the cost of one arrest!

Users who are viewing this thread