What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arizona passes nation's toughest immigration law (1 Viewer)

Judge in the case: US Gov't has "no argument":

Judge John T. Noonan Jr. grilled administration lawyers at a hearing before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. He took aim at the core of the Justice Department's argument: that the Arizona statute is "preempted" by federal law and is especially troublesome because it requires mandatory immigration status checks in certain circumstances.

"I've read your brief, I've read the District Court opinion, I've heard your interchange with my two colleagues, and I don't understand your argument," Noonan told deputy solicitor general Edwin S. Kneedler. "We are dependent as a court on counsel being responsive. . . . You keep saying the problem is that a state officer is told to do something. That's not a matter of preemption. . . . I would think the proper thing to do is to concede that this is a point where you don't have an argument."
I'm really pulling for the women and children of Arizona to finally get some law and order in their state.

Judge John T. Noonan Jr. grilled administration lawyers at a hearing before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. He took aim at the core of the Justice Department's argument: that the Arizona statute is "preempted" by federal law and is especially troublesome because it requires mandatory immigration status checks in certain circumstances.

"I've read your brief, I've read the District Court opinion, I've heard your interchange with my two colleagues, and I don't understand your argument," Noonan told deputy solicitor general Edwin S. Kneedler. "We are dependent as a court on counsel being responsive. . . . You keep saying the problem is that a state officer is told to do something. That's not a matter of preemption. . . . I would think the proper thing to do is to concede that this is a point where you don't have an argument."
Yeah, in all truth, I've had trouble with this as well. I hate this law as much as anybody, but the Justice Department's argument seems weak to me. I preferred the argument that the ACLU put forth, that the law is a violation of the 14rh Amendment. The JD's arguments makes no sense- why can't the state of Arizona make their own laws on this issue?
They have to argue preemption because the 14th Amendment argument is bunk.

GOP "moderates" looking to help Democrats pass "DREAM" amnesty bill

Yesterday, I published a target phone list of GOP Senators for the upcoming stand-alone vote on the DREAM Act/Illegal Alien Student Bailout.

I’ve polled Republican Senate offices and you should know that many open-borders squishes remain on the fence about this Obama/Reid down payment on blanket illegal alien amnesty. That’s right. The following GOP Senators haven’t made up their mind on whether they should oppose a bill that amounts to a 2.1 million future Democrat voter recruitment drive. Know your fence-sitters:

SEN. JOHN MCCAIN 202-224-2235; 480-897-6289: Staff says he “hasn’t made a public statement” and “hasn’t made up his mind.” He talked a tough border security game to get re-elected, while promising illegal alien activists he would “resolve their issues.” (Refresh your memories here.)

Arizona, you chose to re-elect him. You get what you deserve.

SEN. OLYMPIA SNOWE 202-224-5344; 207-874-0883: Staff says she “hasn’t released a statement.”

SEN. SUSAN COLLINS 202-224-2523; 207-945-0417: Staff says she “hasn’t released a public statement.”

SEN. LISA MURKOWSKI 202-224-6665; 907-271-3735: Staff says she’s “still reviewing the bill.”

SEN. SAM BROWNBACK 202-224-6521; 785-233-2503 Staff says he “hasn’t had a chance to look at it” and remains non-committal.

SEN. KAY BAILEY HUTCHISON 202-224-5922; 214-361-3500: Staff says she “hasn’t released a statement,” but will probably do so later today.

SEN. GEORGE LEMIEUX 202-224-3041; 904-398-8586: Recorded message informs callers that he’s “in a meeting.” He has yet to publicly state his position as open-borders extremists step up pressure.

FYI: The following GOP Senators who had been of concern say they are opposed to the stand-along DREAM Act:

SEN. SCOTT BROWN: Staff says he “does not support ANY taxpayer illegal alien amnesty bills,” including the DREAM Act.

SEN. MIKE JOHANNS: Opposed the DREAM Act. Period.

SEN. GEORGE VOINOVICH: Opposed.

SEN. ORRIN HATCH: A former DREAM Act champion, he is now opposed.

SEN. JUDD GREGG: Staff says he is a likely no vote.

SEN. RICHARD LUGAR, an original co-sponsor of the DREAM Act amnesty, remains a staunch supporter.

Your voice and your calls count. Make yourselves heard.

Yesterday, I mentioned GOP Sen. Jeff Sessions’ alert on the DREAM Act dangers. Here is the full memo. Spread the word and make sure your Senators know where you stand.

Ten Things You Need To Know About S.3827, The DREAM Act

1. The DREAM Act Is NOT Limited to Children, And It Will Be Funded On the Backs Of Hard Working, Law-Abiding Americans

Proponents of the DREAM Act frequently claim the bill offers relief only to illegal alien “kids.” Incredibly, previous versions of the DREAM Act had no age limit at all, so illegal aliens of any age who satisfied the Act’s requirements—not just children—could obtain lawful permanent resident (LPR) status. In response to this criticism, S.3827 includes a requirement that aliens be under the age of 35 on the date of enactment to be eligible for LPR status. Even with this cap, many aliens would be at least 41 years old before obtaining full LPR status under the Act—hardly the “kids” the Act’s advocates keep talking about.

The DREAM Act requires that DHS/USCIS process all DREAM Act applications (applications that would require complex, multi-step adjudication) without being able to increase fees to handle processing. This mandate would require either additional Congressional appropriations, or for USCIS, a primarily fee-funded agency, to raise fees on other types of immigration benefit applications. This would unfairly spread the cost of administering the DREAM Act legalization program among applicants and petitioners who have abided by U.S. laws and force taxpayers to pay for amnesty. Taxpayers would also be on the hook for all Federal benefits the DREAM Act seeks to offer illegal aliens, including student loans and grants.

2. The DREAM Act PROVIDES SAFE HARBOR FOR ANY ALIEN, Including Criminals, From Being Removed or Deported If They Simply Submit An Application

Although DREAM Act proponents claim it will benefit only those who meet certain age, presence, and educational requirements, amazingly the Act protects ANY alien who simply submits an application for status no matter how frivolous. The bill forbids the Secretary of Homeland Security from removing “any alien who has a pending application for conditional status” under the DREAM Act—regardless of age or criminal record—providing a safe harbor for all illegal aliens. This loophole will open the floodgates for applications that could stay pending for many years or be litigated as a delay tactic to prevent the illegal aliens’ removal from the United States. The provision will further erode any chances of ending the rampant illegality and fraud in the existing system.

3. Certain Criminal Aliens Will Be Eligible For Amnesty Under The DREAM Act

Certain categories of criminal aliens will be eligible for the DREAM Act amnesty, including alien gang members and aliens with misdemeanor convictions, even DUIs. The DREAM Act allows illegal aliens guilty of the following offenses to be eligible for amnesty: alien absconders (aliens who failed to attend their removal proceedings), aliens who have engaged in voter fraud or unlawfully voted, aliens who have falsely claimed U.S. citizenship, aliens who have abused their student visas, and aliens who have committed marriage fraud. Additionally, illegal aliens who pose a public health risk, aliens who have been permanently barred from obtaining U.S. citizenship, and aliens who are likely to become a public charge are also eligible.

4. Estimates Suggest That At Least 2.1 Million Illegal Aliens Will Be Eligible For the DREAM Act Amnesty. In Reality, We Have No Idea How Many Illegal Aliens Will Apply

Section 4(d) of the DREAM Act waives all numerical limitations on green cards, and prohibits any numerical limitation on the number of aliens eligible for amnesty under its provisions. The Migration Policy Institute estimates that the DREAM Act will make approximately 2.1 million illegal aliens eligible for amnesty. It is highly likely that the number of illegal aliens receiving amnesty under the DREAM Act will be much higher than the estimated 2.1 million due to fraud and our inherent inability to accurately estimate the illegal alien population. Clearly, the message sent by the DREAM Act will be that if any young person can enter the country illegally, within 5 years, they will be placed on a path to citizenship.

5. Illegal Aliens Will Get In-State Tuition Benefits

The DREAM Act will allow illegal aliens to qualify for in-state tuition, even when it is not being offered to U.S. citizens and legally present aliens living just across state lines. Section 3 of the DREAM Act repeals Section 505 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (8 U.S.C. 1623) which prohibits giving education benefits to an unlawfully present individual unless that same benefit is offered to all U.S. citizens.

6. The DREAM Act Does Not Require That An Illegal Alien Finish Any Type of Degree (Vocational, Two-Year, or Bachelor’s Degree) As A Condition of Amnesty

DREAM Act supporters would have you believe that the bill is intended to benefit illegal immigrants who have graduated from high school and are on their way to earning college degrees. However, the bill is careful to ensure that illegal alien high school drop-outs will also be put on a pathway to citizenship – they simply have to get a GED and be admitted to “an institution of higher education,” defined by the Higher Education Act of 1965.

Under the Higher Education Act, an “institution of higher education” includes institutions that provide 2-year programs (community colleges) and any “school that provides not less than a 1-year program of training to prepare students for gainful employment” (a vocational school). Within 8 years of the initial grant of status, the alien must prove only that they finished 2 years of a bachelor’s degree program, not that they completed any program or earned any degree.

If the alien is unable to complete 2 years of college but can demonstrate that their removal would result in hardship to themselves or their U.S. citizen or LPR spouse, child, or parent, the education requirement can be waived altogether.

7. The DREAM Act does not require that an illegal alien serve in the military as a condition for amnesty, and There is ALREADY A Legal Process In Place For Illegal Aliens to Obtain U.S. Citizenship Through Military Service

DREAM Act supporters would have you believe that illegal aliens who don’t go to college will earn their citizenship through service in the U.S. Armed Forces. However, the bill does not require aliens to join the U.S. Armed Forces (the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard); instead it requires enlistment in the “uniformed services.” This means that aliens need only go to work for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration or Public Health Service for 2 years to get U.S. citizenship. If the alien is unable to complete 2 years in the “uniformed services,” and can demonstrate that their removal would result in hardship to themselves or their U.S. citizen or LPR spouse, child, or parent, the military service requirement can be waived altogether. Such claims will likely engender much litigation and place a huge burden on DHS.

Furthermore, under current law (10 USC § 504), the Secretary of Defense can authorize the enlistment of illegal aliens. Once enlisted in the U.S. Armed Forces, under 8 USC § 1440, these illegal aliens can become naturalized citizens through expedited processing, often obtaining U.S. citizenship in six months.

8. Despite Their Current Illegal Status, DREAM Act Aliens Will Be Given All The Rights That Legal Immigrants Receive—Including The Legal Right To Sponsor Their Parents and Extended Family Members For Immigration[/g]

Under current federal law, U.S. citizens have the right to immigrate their “immediate relatives” to the U.S. without regard to numerical caps. Similarly, lawful permanent residents can immigrate their spouses and children to the U.S. as long as they retain their status. This means illegal aliens who receive amnesty under the DREAM Act will have the right to immigrate their family members—including the parents who sent for or brought them to the U.S. illegally in the first place—in unlimited numbers as soon as they become U.S. citizens (6 to 8 years after enactment) and are 21 years of age.

Additionally, amnestied aliens who become U.S. citizens will be able to petition for their adult siblings living abroad to immigrate to the U.S., further incentivizing chain migration and potentially illegal entry into the United States (for those who don’t want to wait for the petition process overseas). When an adult brother or sister receives a green card, the family (spouse and children) of the adult sibling receive green cards as well.

9. Current Illegal Aliens Will Get Federal Student Loans, Federal Work Study Programs, and Other Forms of Federal Financial Aid

Section 10 of the DREAM Act allows illegal aliens amnestied under the bill’s provisions to qualify for federal student assistance under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1001 et seq.) in the form of federal student loans (Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, Federal Direct Stafford/Ford Loans), federal work-study programs, and other federal education services such as tutoring and counseling.

10. DHS Is Prohibited From Using the Information Provided By Illegal Aliens Whose DREAM Act Amnesty Applications Are Denied To Initiate Their Removal Proceedings or Investigate or Prosecute Fraud in the Application Process

When an illegal alien’s DREAM Act amnesty application is denied, the bill states that the alien will revert to their “previous immigration status,” which is likely illegal or deportable. The bill, however, prohibits using any of the information contained in the amnesty application (name, address, length of illegal presence that the alien admits to, etc) to initiate a removal proceeding or investigate or prosecute fraud in the application process. Thus, it will be extremely hard for DHS to remove aliens who they now know are illegally present in the U.S., because illegal aliens will be able to claim that the legal action is a product of the amnesty application, and DHS will have the nearly impossible task of proving a negative.

5. Illegal Aliens Will Get In-State Tuition Benefits

The DREAM Act will allow illegal aliens to qualify for in-state tuition, even when it is not being offered to U.S. citizens and legally present aliens living just across state lines. Section 3 of the DREAM Act repeals Section 505 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (8 U.S.C. 1623) which prohibits giving education benefits to an unlawfully present individual unless that same benefit is offered to all U.S. citizens.

And I thought undergrad degrees were worthless now.

Seems like a watered down amnesty bill without the border upgrades that should accompany it. You can already gain citizenship by serving in the military.

Arizona sues federal government over Mexico border

By David Schwartz

PHOENIX | Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:48pm EST

PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona filed a lawsuit against the federal government on Thursday, alleging that it had failed to provide security along the state's porous border with Mexico.

The counter suit, filed in federal court in Phoenix, is in response to a government lawsuit last year blocking key parts of Arizona's tough law cracking down on illegal immigrants.

The desert state straddles a busy smuggling corridor for people and drugs from Mexico, and is the principal gateway for illegal immigrants entering the United States.

"Because the federal government has failed to protect the citizens ... of Arizona, I am left with no other choice," Gov. Jan Brewer told a news conference in central Phoenix, as several boisterous protesters attempted to shout her down.

"We did not start this fight. But, now that we are in it, Arizona will not rest until our border is secured and federal immigration laws are enforced," she added.

The suit detailed five counts, including allegations the government had failed to achieve "operational control" over the border, enforce immigration laws and protect Arizona from "harms associated with rampant illegal immigration."

In Washington, a Justice Department spokesman declined to comment on the Arizona suit.

Brewer signed the controversial measure cracking down on illegal immigrants into law last April, sparking protests in Arizona and around the country.

At the heart of the state law is the requirement that police determine the immigration status of a person they have detained and suspect of being in the country illegally.

But before it could take effect last July, U.S. District Court Judge Susan Bolton blocked key parts of the state law, arguing immigration matters are the federal government's responsibility.

In November, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit heard arguments in the case. It has yet to issue a ruling.

Brewer said the state would most likely have to pursue its claims all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/10/...E7197GY20110210 :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

No, it was the people who conservatives are now railing on Obama for continuing to fight after their boy got distracted by a shiny new toy in Iraq.
Which conservatives are that exactly? Afghanistan is the only thing this guy has gotten close to right.
Apparently not you, but many on this board.
Well maybe you should learn to generalize less.....
It wasn't a generalization, it was a pluralization. It means 'more than one'. Conservatives (plural) are railing against it. I didn't say all conservatives (since all conservatives dont agree on anything as a whole) nor did I say some. I could have been more specific, because the reading comprehension of some conservatives is questionable, but then you'd have to find something else I didn't actually say to get all outraged about. Maybe you should read what you want to read into things so you can get all up in a bunch less. At least you haven't turned it into an attack against Christianity. Yet. And I already know which comprehension deficit manufactured offense you're going to take from this post. Let's see if I'm right.
Maybe you should make fewer assumptions too, while you are at it. And learn to use modifiers - like saying some conservatives.

I think the State of Arizona may very well have a good point with this lawsuit. As everyone here knows, I believe that illegal immigration is, overall, a benefit to the United States as a whole. Yet even I wouldn't argue that it is a benefit to the border states by themselves. All 50 states reap the benefits of illegal labor, in terms of lower consumer prices, but primarily the border states are forced to pay the costs- increased crime, public health and educational costs. This seems unfair.

While I am not for stricter border control I am for the federal government being obligated to help out the state of Arizona and the other border states with regard to it's extra costs from illegal immigration. Hopefully, this lawsuit will result in at least some of this.

I'm really pulling for the women and children of Arizona to finally get some law and order in their state.
Too late for 9 year old Bresenia Flores and her dad, but at least it appears their murderers - three minuteman border activists - will be convicted and may get the death penalty.

Alright Lawyer Guys

A federal appeals court ruled Monday that the most contested provisions of an Arizona immigration law passed last year will remain blocked from taking effect

Do any of you have any sources to determine if this a fair conclusion?

The court ruled only on Bolton’s order, not on whether the Arizona measure is legal, and the Justice Department’s move to have the law thrown out will proceed. But the judges gave strong indications that they accept the administration’s argument that the legislation is unconstitutional and that they would rule that way in the end.

and
“I believe this will control the outcome of the case,’’ said Louis Moffa, a professor at Rutgers School of Law and an expert on immigration and constitutional law. “The court’s language is pretty stark.’’

Sounds familiar...
“Arizona has attempted to hijack a discretionary role that Congress delegated to the Executive,’’ the decision said, adding that the Arizona law would “usurp” the U.S. attorney general’s role in directing any state enforcement of federal immigration laws.

Apparently Judge Noonan had a change of heart since he was the other vote for administration's side.

'Bottomfeeder Sports said:
'Christo said:
'Sarnoff said:
The Appeals Court for the 9th Circuit is the most over-ruled, isn't it?
Yep. And it was a split decision.
Do you think that this particular decision is going to be appealed? Or, just some future decision that rules in the administration's favor as suggested in the article? Or, is it just too hard to know?
The article you just posted said AZ had already decided to request en banc review.

'Christo said:
'Sarnoff said:
Do you think that this particular decision is going to be appealed? Or, just some future decision that rules in the administration's favor as suggested in the article? Or, is it just too hard to know?
The article you just posted said AZ had already decided to request en banc review.
It does?Unless I am completely missing it the closest thing is this section

Extended struggle

The ruling is also one of the first steps in a legal struggle expected to play out over several years. Brewer has vowed to take the case to the U.S. Supreme Court and could appeal Monday’s decision to the full 9th Circuit.

In a joint statement, Brewer and Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne ® said they are “considering their legal options” and that they remain confident the law will eventually be found constitutional. Monday’s ruling “does harm to the safety and well-being of Arizonans who suffer the negative effects of illegal immigration,’’ they said

Or is there some other article?

'Christo said:
'Sarnoff said:
It does?Unless I am completely missing it the closest thing is this section

Extended struggle

The ruling is also one of the first steps in a legal struggle expected to play out over several years. Brewer has vowed to take the case to the U.S. Supreme Court and could appeal Monday’s decision to the full 9th Circuit.

In a joint statement, Brewer and Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne ® said they are “considering their legal options” and that they remain confident the law will eventually be found constitutional. Monday’s ruling “does harm to the safety and well-being of Arizonans who suffer the negative effects of illegal immigration,’’ they said

Or is there some other article?
You're right. It says could. I thought I remebered it saying they had decided to do so. Why wouldn't they? It doesn't take too much effort to request en banc review. And the worse that could happen is to have the request denied.

Christo, if they do request en banc, how long does it take the Supreme Court to decide to agree to hear it. And if the Supreme Court decides to hear it, how long before a final ruling? (from today). Thanks.

Christo, if they do request en banc, how long does it take the Supreme Court to decide to agree to hear it. And if the Supreme Court decides to hear it, how long before a final ruling? (from today). Thanks.
I'm not a lawyer but I think en banc means the entire court of appeals and not just a three judge panel. That being said, it seems weird they would do this since their three judge panel included two GOP nominees and one would think by the reputation that the larger court would be even more likely to side with the administration. Again I don't live and breath this like some of our lawyer guys, so take their word for it before taking mind.

...Why wouldn't they? It doesn't take too much effort to request en banc review. And the worse that could happen is to have the request denied.
Would losing to an "en banc review" make future Supreme Court appeals less likely? And less likely successful? Or, is that irrelevant?If so to either of the above first two questions than I would think the reply to Tim would be what I can think of as the "worst that could happen".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a lawyer but I think en banc means the entire court of appeals and not just a three judge panel. That being said, it seems weird they would do this since their three judge panel included two GOP nominees and one would think by the reputation that the larger court would be even more likely to side with the administration. Again I don't live and breath this like some of our lawyer guys, so take their word for it before taking mind.
OK I think you're right. I'm just trying to find out how long this all takes. Assuming that en banc is requested, agreed to, happens, and then the state or the Obama Administration appeals to the Supreme Court, and that takes place, and a ruling is finally given, how long does the entire business take?

...I'm just trying to find out how long this all takes. Assuming that en banc is requested, agreed to, happens, and then the state or the Obama Administration appeals to the Supreme Court, and that takes place, and a ruling is finally given, how long does the entire business take?
Don't forget that the issue decided is whether or not the federal government has enough of a case to prevent the law from going into effect until another case decides whether or not the Arizona law should be struck down (or at least parts of it). So conceivably this could go to the Supreme Court and the only thing that is decided is that the law should remain block while the whole process more or less starts over - I think. For your real answer I'll yield to someone that actually knows enough to answer.

From San Jose Mercury News:

July 29 marked the anniversary of Arizona's controversial immigration law, SB 1070, the state's toughest attempt to target unauthorized immigration since the 2007 Legal Arizona Workers Act. Since then several states -- most notably Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama -- have passed similar laws. However, Arizona has actually hurt itself by targeting unauthorized immigrants. Other states should learn from its experience before following it down the same path.

SB 1070 proponents claim that it decreased the unauthorized population in the state, and they're probably right. But for that "achievement," SB 1070 likely slowed Arizona's recovery by increasing the regulatory burden for business and raising the cost of hiring all workers in Arizona.

Republican Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed slews of bills that would have reduced government expenditures and lowered taxes. The same poor fiscal policies prevailed in New Mexico. The difference in New Mexico is that it hasn't passed immigration regulations that burden businesses.

Arizona's economic growth has stalled, and the unemployment rate is at 9.3 percent -- higher than both the New Mexico and national unemployment rates. New Mexico's unemployment rate has been below Arizona's since the beginning of the Great Recession.

The regulatory business burden of SB 1070 is its most damaging component. Sections 7 and 8 strengthened the 2007 Workers Act mandates that all businesses use the faulty

E-Verify system. According to a 2010 audit from Westat, E-Verify fails to identify unauthorized workers 54 percent of the time and identified some legal American workers as unauthorized. Fundamentally, Americans should not have to ask the federal government for permission to earn an honest living.

E-Verify has pushed unauthorized workers deeper into the black market. A 2011 report by the Public Policy Institute of California found that while Arizona's 2007 workers law decreased the unauthorized population of Arizona between 2008 and 2009, it also forced tens of thousands "into informal or underground employment."

SB 1070 enacted a two-strike policy through which second-time business offenders lose their business licenses for intentionally or knowingly employing unauthorized immigrants. This law championed by conservatives makes it harder for businesses to do what they are supposed to: lower costs and pass savings on to consumers. Called the business death penalty, it remains a potent economic weapon in the state's war against private property and free enterprise.

Some immigration opponents have cited an immigrant crime wave to increase support for SB 1070. Yet when SB 1070 was passed, violent crime rates were lower than any point since 1971, and property crime rates were the lowest since 1966, according to Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics at the Department of Justice. The steepest decline of all has been for the murder rate, which in 2009 was lower than any year since 1965.

The U.S. economic slowdown and accelerated growth in Mexico have significantly reduced Mexican emigration to the U.S. But nations like India, China, and Central American countries will continue to send unauthorized immigrants in ever greater numbers. Our immigration laws need to adapt to that reality, not fight a quixotic battle against it.

After a year of SB 1070, the evidence shows that long-run solutions will come from expanding legal immigration for peaceful healthy people, not from crushing regulation. The federal government bears the blame for generations of bad policy that reversed America's traditional free immigration policy. Lawmakers in Arizona -- or any other state -- cannot fix that, and they shouldn't make the problem worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any predictions? I guess I'm right. Anyone else?
We have a conservative Supreme Court that, IMO, overemphasizes states' rights, so unfortunately you may be correct. I certainly hope not. If this idiotic law is upheld, it will be a shameful day for the United States and Arizona in particular.

And it appears as if we were wrong! In a 5-3 decision, the court agrees with the Obama administration, that Arizona has no power to make such a law. :thumbup:

And it appears as if we were wrong! In a 5-3 decision, the court agrees with the Obama administration, that Arizona has no power to make such a law. :thumbup:
I'm still trying to get a handle on the opinion, but I think this oversimplifies. Some provisions were upheld and others were struck down.

2(B) is the part upheld. From the opinion: "If the law only requires state officers to conduct a status check during the course of an authorized, lawful detention or after a detainee has been released, the provision would likely survive preemption."

2(B) is the part upheld. From the opinion: "If the law only requires state officers to conduct a status check during the course of an authorized, lawful detention or after a detainee has been released, the provision would likely survive preemption."
And if this had been the only aspect of the law to begin with, there never would have been a controversy in the first place. The main question was whether or not police could simply stop people based on suspicion of being illegal immigrants. Now we know: they can't. There was also the question of whether or not Arizona had the right to enforce making it illegal for undocumented workers to be employed in that state. They don't. It's a huge victory for immigration rights activists, Eric Holder, and Barack Obama.

So how is it our knowledgeable attorneys are still trying to digest the opinion, but Tim's comfortable saying it's "gutted"?
If you're talking about me, I'm not that knowledgeable. Tim is obsessed with immigration and likely knows way more about this case than I do. I've seen a few commentators describe the ruling similarly to the way tim described it.

So how is it our knowledgeable attorneys are still trying to digest the opinion, but Tim's comfortable saying it's "gutted"?
Because that's what the attorneys on CNN say. Also regarding 2B- CNN says that it was not upheld; the Court says that it's too early to tell if this section will interfere with federal authority.

If you're talking about me, I'm not that knowledgeable. Tim is obsessed with immigration and likely knows way more about this case than I do. I've seen a few commentators describe the ruling similarly to the way tim described it.
Nope. I'm no legal expert. I figured, based on what I read, that the law would be upheld. I'm just responding here to what I'm watching on TV.

And if this had been the only aspect of the law to begin with, there never would have been a controversy in the first place.
:shrug: This is the section of the law that requires police to "check your papers". Seemed that was the most controversial section when this was first being discussed.

And if this had been the only aspect of the law to begin with, there never would have been a controversy in the first place.
:shrug: This is the section of the law that requires police to "check your papers". Seemed that was the most controversial section when this was first being discussed.
No the controversy came from applying this to stopping people for looking like immigrants and asking for their papers. Not for checking immigration status as part of an criminal investigation of something else.

You're correct. I was still following CNN when I wrote that, and now they're backtracking somewhat. For me personally, though I don't like this aspect much, so long as they're not able to simply stop "suspicious" people and check their papers, I can live with it. For now. 2B will very likely be challenged at some future date and overturned when it becomes clear that only Latinos who are arrested are having their papers checked.

Users who are viewing this thread