What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best player never to win a playoff game (1 Viewer)

CalBear

Footballguy
Tony Gonzalez just passed Jerry Rice's record for Pro Bowl receiving yards. This is just one more accomplishment in a ridiculously successful career. But as noted in the thread on Gonzo's comments about Kansas City, despite all of Tony's records, Pro Bowls and All-Pros, and despite the fact that he has a place waiting for him in Canton as soon as he decides he wants it, he has never won a playoff game. He's played in three, and in two of those scored KC's only TD. It is a frustrating gap in his accomplishments--frustrating to him, and to his fans.

It got me to thinking; how many players of Gonzo's stature went through their entire careers without winning a playoff game?

I don't have an answer, but I'd be interested to hear suggestions.

Bert Jones (0-3), lost twice to the great Pittsburgh teams, and Oakland in the "Ghost to the Post" double overtime loss to the Raiders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure there are alot of players that can be mentioned, I will throw out Sonny Jurgensen of the Redskins.

Kevrunner said:
travdogg said:
Kevrunner said:
I am sure there are alot of players that can be mentioned, I will throw out Sonny Jurgensen of the Redskins.
Didn't he play in a playoff game with Philly?
No playoff win in Philly for Sonny.
No, he was on the '60 team that won the championship. He didn't start, but he played on the team.

Even though Barry Sanders was part of the team that won THE 1 playoff game Detroit has won since 1957, I think he should at least be mentioned (even if he's disqualified b/c of the one win)

Summary so far:

**** Butkus (LB Bears): 1st ballot Hall of Famer, 8-time Pro Bowler, 5-time All-Pro

Gale Sayers (RB Bears): 1st ballot Hall of Famer, 4-time Pro Bowler, 5-time All-Pro

Larry Wilson (DB Cardinals): 1st ballot Hall of Famer, 8-time Pro Bowler, 5-time All-Pro

Dan Dierdorf (OT Cardinals): Hall of Famer, 6-time Pro Bowler, 3-time All-Pro

Roger Wehrli (DB Cardinals): Hall of Famer (vet committee), 7-time Pro Bowler, 3-time All-Pro

Sonny Jurgensen* (QB Eagles/Redskins): Hall of Famer, 5-time Pro Bowler, 3-time All-Pro

Don Majkowski (QB Packers/Colts): 1-time Pro Bowler

Bert Jones (QB Colts): 1-time All-Pro

* Jurgensen was on a championship team in Philly, but only as a backup.

Some things to note here:

All of the serious contenders here played most of their careers before the 1978 expansion, when the second wild card was added. Before that there were a lot fewer playoff games and thus a lot fewer opportunities.

The two on the list who approach Gonzo's stature are Butkus and Sayers; none of the others would be considered one of the best of all time at their positions.

It is interesting that the Bears, with one of the best linebackers of all time and one of the best running backs of all time, did not make the playoffs at all. In 1965 they had the #2 scoring offense and #2 scoring defense, yet finished 9-5 and missed the playoffs. That might be one of the best teams to ever miss the playoffs. Other than 1965, Butkus and Sayers had only one other winning season (7-6-1 in 1967), and in 1969 they went 1-13 together. In Sayers' two best seasons, 1966 and 1969, the Bears won a total of 6 games.

This analysis actually brings my opinion of Sayers down a notch.

Both Sayers and Butkus had their careers prematurely ended by injuries; it's possible they would have had a chance to win a playoff game had they played longer, but considering how bad the Bears teams of the early 70s were (they had no season with more than 6 wins from 1969-1975), it may not have happened.

Unless someone comes up with another name, it does look like Gonzo is kind of in a class by himself, at least in terms of careers since 1978. He's still playing at a very high level, so if his situation improves, he has a few more years to get that elusive win.

Users who are viewing this thread