What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden To Forgive $10k In Student Loans (1 Viewer)

Sunshine6854

Footballguy
No source or confirmation, my kid works for one of the news bureaus in DC. Someone leaked it to them.

And they were most concerned with whether or not I claimed them as a dependent on my taxes...lol.

This has been a given for a while. The timing has been delayed to make it fairly close to November so as to buy as many votes as possible.
they definitely should announce it the day after the election

So what happens to the note holders? They get the loans paid by the government?
Can someone say inflation (again)?

Biden has to announce something about student loans soon. The pause is only through this month and servicers need to resume billing. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Tik Tok source is right. I’m against it but it has long seemed like something Biden wants to do.

Biden has to announce something about student loans soon. The pause is only through this month and servicers need to resume billing. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Tik Tok source is right. I’m against it but it has long seemed like something Biden wants to do.
So you're saying I should start getting my news from Tik Tok? At least I'll see a lot of dance clips.

So you're saying I should start getting my news from Tik Tok? At least I'll see a lot of dance clips.
I’m not suggesting that.

Yeah...I think its a mistake to do this. I don't like it.

Inflation no doubt. Not to mention that the next step is everyone currently in school will rightly ask “Where is my $10k?” to which there is no good answer. So stay tuned, more to come.
I don't know that such a policy will cause any materially significant amount of inflation. That said, this is a phenomenally bad idea for all sorts of reasons. It sets a terrible precedent for the future. It won't play well politically. It's essentially a transfer of money from non-educated to educated, which is regressive.

Terrible idea. I am fine with extending loans, lowering interest rates, or even forgiveness if it involves service to the country in some way.

Just handing out $10k to only those that have school debt is BS.
I’m not opposed to it but I would have preferred your solution here.

I could support policies that forgive loans if you pay x percentage of your income for y number of years (possibly with other factors too). Who benefits with basically a flat $10K (I believe high income earned would not qualify) just seems to easy to be “fair” (for lack of a better word).

I'm okay with it but also think if that's all they do, it doesn't fix the problem.

They need to make state schools free, or at least cheap.

The student loan crisis was caused by the government giving easy money to anyone who went to any college, which greatly increased the demand for college, which has a fixed supply, which drove up costs in a huge way. The cost of higher education has greatly outpaced inflation every single year since these loans were introduced.

We can keep student loans, but we need a low cost competitor in the market to be an anchor on prices. For example, if you can go to Chapel Hill for free, or even like say, $5K a year... if you're smart enough to get in there and also say Harvard, is it worth paying $80K a year for Harvard? Probably not. So Harvard's pricing ability is limited by the low cost public options. This is how you fix the problem. Paying off some student loans is just a band aid... it's treating a symptom, not the cause.

Now lets do the PPP loans and get the same outrage.
What a horrible display of whataboutism.

The PPP loans were designed from the beginning to be a form of stimulus/unemployment insurance to keep small businesses afloat during an economic crisis.

The loans were never expected to be paid back. Nothing remotely like student loans.

My wife and I paid off ~ $160k in student loans from ‘04 to ~ ‘14. I’m in favor of this $10k in debt forgiveness, I wish it was for more. Rewarding middle to lower class folks who went into debt to further their education seems like a worthwhile investment.
You're asking plumbers and car repairmen to pay for the degrees of engineers and lawyers, etc. It's terribly regressive and inflationary. The average student loan payment is $300/month, very achievable for the majority of folks, particularly when you consider the average car loan right now is $702/month.

I'd be fine with a one time wiping of the slate on penalties and interest. That is what catches most folks.

Now lets do the PPP loans and get the same outrage.
The fraud associated with those is absolutely infuriating. Read the article below this morning with this nice tidbit - "In the midst of the pandemic the government gave unemployment benefits to the incarcerated, the imaginary, and the dead. It sent money to “farms” that turned out to be front yards. It paid people who were on the government’s “Do Not Pay List.” It gave loans to 342 people who said their name was “N/A.”"

Just unreal.

I'm okay with it but also think if that's all they do, it doesn't fix the problem.
The cost of higher education has exploded with the dramatic rise in non-faculty staff, among other items. Wiping away debt without tackling these cost drivers is just another long term inflationary driver of tuition. Pell grants have been horribly inflationary over the years - same thing.

My wife and I paid off ~ $160k in student loans from ‘04 to ~ ‘14. I’m in favor of this $10k in debt forgiveness, I wish it was for more. Rewarding middle to lower class folks who went into debt to further their education seems like a worthwhile investment.
why stop at education? this whole forgiveness is nothing. but. buying. VOTES!
chalk up another one for Joe Biden & the democratic party.
this whole affair reeks of politics & bad politics at that for America.

why stop at education? this whole forgiveness is nothing. but. buying. VOTES!
chalk up another one for Joe Biden & the democratic party.
this whole affair reeks of politics & bad politics at that for America.
I mean, what do you think it is when president X cuts taxes or promises to when campaigning?

Or when they tout they will bring X # of jobs to the area?

Politics is about buying votes. People vote with their wallet all the time

The U.S. government is the lender.
I looked this up, because I knew they were in part, but not all. Am shocked at how high a % it is (apparently this has skyrocketed since 2010). Last time I had a student loan was 2001.

The US Federal Government owns 92% of all student loans in the US.

As a result, I don't think this will necessarily cause a problem with inflation, but it does not fix the fundamental issue of the outrageous rise in college costs over the last 30 years.

why stop with education loans? lot of kids have car loans. let's pay those also up to $10,000. what the H, let's pay off every loan. what is the difference?

I looked this up, because I knew they were in part, but not all. Am shocked at how high a % it is (apparently this has skyrocketed since 2010). Last time I had a student loan was 2001.

Right, and the other 8% wouldn’t be eligible for forgiveness.

why stop with education loans? lot of kids have car loans. let's pay those also up to $10,000. what the H, let's pay off every loan. what is the difference?
The government doesn't own those loans.

Easily fixed with the infinite power of the purse.

I could support policies that forgive loans if you pay x percentage of your income for y number of years (possibly with other factors too). Who benefits with basically a flat $10K (I believe high income earned would not qualify) just seems to easy to be “fair” (for lack of a better word).
There is a current program already in place, which seems to be fair and working well, that one can have his or her student loans forgiven after ten (10) years if he or she doesn't get delinquent at any point and works a public service job (e.g. public school teacher, prosecutor, public defender, etc.).

There is a current program already in place, which seems to be fair and working well, that one can have his or her student loans forgiven after ten (10) years if he or she doesn't get delinquent at any point and works a public service job (e.g. public school teacher, prosecutor, public defender, etc.).
I imagine we have many people that would argue that it isn't fair that someone who chose to go into teaching or non profit work should have their debt wiped away.

Also - the process is a complete **** show. They did just change some of the rules, but over the years there have only been certain type of loans and payback options that work towards that forgiveness and many times, after the 10+ years, most of the loan was paid back anyway

As a result, I don't think this will necessarily cause a problem with inflation, but it does not fix the fundamental issue of the outrageous rise in college costs over the last 30 years.
IMO, it will be heavily inflationary. As far as the rise in college costs - this is a great chart.
This is correct. It will be inflationary because the $321 billion total will now be permanently circulating in the economy.

And instead of "loan receivable" on the Treasury's balance sheet (to be paid back and eventually absorbed out of the economy), it will now just be added to the national debt to be paid off by imaginary and never to be seen future tax receipts.

So basically another $321 billion stimulus package that is financed by increasing the national debt.

Oddly enough, while much of my son's bills for school (we just paid them) went up so much from when I was in school. His books were actually a bargain...at least this semester. Maybe they are relying on some older textbooks for things like Chemistry, History and English...but man, I was expecting a worse hit when we ordered his books. (Tuition, food, and his dorm cost...not so much the bargain).

This is correct. It will be inflationary because the $321 billion total will now be permanently circulating in the economy.

And instead of "loan receivable" on the Treasury's balance sheet (to be paid back and eventually absorbed out of the economy), it will now just be added to the national debt to be paid off by imaginary and never to be seen future tax receipts.

So basically another $321 billion stimulus package that is financed by increasing the national debt.
Isn't this money already in circulation? Loan payments have been paused for 2 years now. It's not as if people have been saving up their loan payments and are sitting on thousands of dollars in cash.

so? $10,000 is $10,000. Government spending $10,000 is the same as losing $10,000. right?
In a sense, yes. But I do think there's a difference between outright paying money one may not have and just not getting paid. The latter is obviously easier to logistically control without a significant overhead cost (think of all the auditing and accounting work that would go into the government receiving, analyzing, and then paying private car loans).

Isn't this money already in circulation? Loan payments have been paused for 2 years now. It's not as if people have been saving up their loan payments and are sitting on thousands of dollars in cash.
Yes. The portion of the paused loan payments that was due were inflationary. Same for rent moratoriums.

Oddly enough, while much of my son's bills for school (we just paid them) went up so much from when I was in school. His books were actually a bargain...at least this semester. Maybe they are relying on some older textbooks for things like Chemistry, History and English...but man, I was expecting a worse hit when we ordered his books. (Tuition, food, and his dorm cost...not so much the bargain).
Disagree. The growth in my maturity as a person from dorm living and the expansion of my mindset from learning in college was, at least to me, worth far more than the dollar cost. Which is probably why I never missed a student loan payment and paid them off after twelve years.

In a sense, yes. But I do think there's a difference between outright paying money one may not have and just not getting paid. The latter is obviously easier to logistically control without a significant overhead cost (think of all the auditing and accounting work that would go into the government receiving, analyzing, and then paying private car loans).
in a sense? semantics much? read your post again.
oh well, have a good one.

in a sense? semantics much? read your post again.
oh well, have a good one.
I'm confused now. Did my explanation about how they weren't the same after explaining the additional overhead costs of affirmatively paying private loans not make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread