What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collectively, A Thread To Celebrate Our Kids Athletic Accomplishments (2 Viewers)

Key question and I don’t know if your son asked this of both coaches.

“Where do you see me fitting into your depth chart and who is ahead of me”

My son asked that question to all 3 schools and the answer he got from WPU where he is was also another check mark. He felt like he was being told the truth and they were pretty clear they saw him making a big push to get significant playing time by Sophomore year.
That is something we haven't asked specifically. The coach of the D3 school said they are losing 7 pitchers this year so he is looking to replenish that cupboard. That being said we didn't ask specifically about where my son fit into those plans. Obviously they need pitching but not sure of those 7 who has significant roles etc. We haven't gotten into those conversations with the D2 school because we haven't gotten to that level of discussion yet.

This is very good advice and I will definitely be bringing this up to my son for future conversations down this road.
My son emailed the pitching coach that has been looking at him for the D2 school yesterday to touch base since it has been a couple months. He let him know that he received an offer based on his fall classic performance in September and asked how the D2 schools recruiting process is going and where he might fit into it. Should be interesting to see what kind of response he gets back.

Key question and I don’t know if your son asked this of both coaches.

“Where do you see me fitting into your depth chart and who is ahead of me”

My son asked that question to all 3 schools and the answer he got from WPU where he is was also another check mark. He felt like he was being told the truth and they were pretty clear they saw him making a big push to get significant playing time by Sophomore year.
That is something we haven't asked specifically. The coach of the D3 school said they are losing 7 pitchers this year so he is looking to replenish that cupboard. That being said we didn't ask specifically about where my son fit into those plans. Obviously they need pitching but not sure of those 7 who has significant roles etc. We haven't gotten into those conversations with the D2 school because we haven't gotten to that level of discussion yet.

This is very good advice and I will definitely be bringing this up to my son for future conversations down this road.
My son emailed the pitching coach that has been looking at him for the D2 school yesterday to touch base since it has been a couple months. He let him know that he received an offer based on his fall classic performance in September and asked how the D2 schools recruiting process is going and where he might fit into it. Should be interesting to see what kind of response he gets back.
Excellent. Yeah gotta drip drip drip.

Based on that answer he should know where he stands. To me it is a **** or get off the pot time of year for him as far as other schools letting him know if they are really going to make an offer or not. Once January rolls around a lot of recruiting starts to wain. Colleges are getting into their spring seasons. With pitchers it is a little different and pitchers can commit later......but you would love to have him verbally committed before year end 2023. Then he can apply to the school and you guys can start working on his financial stuff with FASFA, his academic money commitment etc. Housing requests, getting to know his existing 2024 recruits (once he commits he will become part of snap chat room no doubt with other current recruits so he can figure out who his potential roommates/suite mates will be etc).

You don't want to be waiting around thru spring and hoping.

I wish you guys all the best of luck. I hope he can get a firm commitment before December.

Then he can apply to the school and you guys can start working on his financial stuff with FASFA, his academic money commitment etc. Housing requests,
He has already been accepted to both of the schools that are interested in him for baseball. FAFSA doesn't start until December or January (they are changing it - at least that is what school counselors have been saying and we won't qualify for anything through them anyway). It would be good to know for the housing requests aspect of things though.

Then he can apply to the school and you guys can start working on his financial stuff with FASFA, his academic money commitment etc. Housing requests,
He has already been accepted to both of the schools that are interested in him for baseball. FAFSA doesn't start until December or January (they are changing it - at least that is what school counselors have been saying and we won't qualify for anything through them anyway). It would be good to know for the housing requests aspect of things though.
Awesome!!! Already on course here.

Keep us updated! Exciting stuff.

D2 coach responded with "we have you penciled in on making our roster for next year. However, I did want to see you throw again and follow you during your high school season".

Not really sure how to take that. I suggested he give the coach a call to try and get a better idea of what this means. Is he on the team? Is he trying out and they have 20 recruits for 10 spots? What does he want to see for this season? Velo increase? Something else?

I don't think the coach is the kind of guy to string you along or over recruit based on our campus visit and various discussions. I do think this is a positive sign that is basically saying we are giving you a shot no matter what that is more than a generic walk on opportunity but isn't necessary a guaranteed spot for 4 years kind of thing. I do know this coach shuffles the scholarship money around year to year based on performance from talking to him and some of the players on the team. So even if he gets his foot in the door there will definitely be opportunity to earn scholarship money if he performs.

My son was happy but a bit questioning as to what this means. I asked him if he had any leanings after this response and he said he was leaning to the D2 school. But I think he was leaning that way already so this maybe just solidified that a bit.

The real issue (and it's not a big issue as the moment) is that he has had some flexor tendon discomfort after the fall showcase tourney. He threw too much when he wasn't quite ramped up and when he got back from that his FT would be irritated when he started warming up for about 10-15 throws. Once warm it was normal but as he cooled down it would come back. Because of this he didn't pitch in any fall ball games and just played infield. It doesn't hurt at any other time and he can lift, twist, etc with no pain. This includes doing band work with a throwing motion. He had it checked out by the trainer and by a doctor. We had an x-ray done (doctor wouldn't do an MRI) and there is no inflammation and no evidence of any issues. The x-ray was after he was shut down for almost 3 weeks. He has not thrown since the end of October as he is in a dead zone. The plan is to continue with that through mid December (at least). So far it feels good with zero pain or issues but he hasn't thrown either. I am not too worried as I think it was just an overuse situation where he tried to overthrow a bit for the showcase and threw a bit too many pitches for where he was on his build up. During the showcase he didn't have any specific throw that caused pain to that area so it wasn't a specific incident type of thing. He didn't have any pain during the showcase as it just showed up about a week later when he was doing fall ball with his HS team. The pain was very minor and more of a nuisance than anything else.

The reason this is an issue is because the D2 coach will be in town over the holidays and we had originally discussed throwing a pen over this time in front of him. Not sure when he is town and if it is more towards January then it might be fine (provided the tenderness has gone away) although he really won't be at full strength.

I suggested my son call the coach and let him know the situation and then he can hopefully get a better indication as to what "penciled into a spot" means as that would be better over the phone than an email.

Hopefully everything goes well.

Yeah FASFA changed some things 12/1 is supposed to be the available time last i checked

Yeah FASFA changed some things 12/1 is supposed to be the available time last i checked
Yeah this is the info we are getting as well.

D2 coach responded with "we have you penciled in on making our roster for next year. However, I did want to see you throw again and follow you during your high school season".

Not really sure how to take that. I suggested he give the coach a call to try and get a better idea of what this means. Is he on the team? Is he trying out and they have 20 recruits for 10 spots? What does he want to see for this season? Velo increase? Something else?

I don't think the coach is the kind of guy to string you along or over recruit based on our campus visit and various discussions. I do think this is a positive sign that is basically saying we are giving you a shot no matter what that is more than a generic walk on opportunity but isn't necessary a guaranteed spot for 4 years kind of thing. I do know this coach shuffles the scholarship money around year to year based on performance from talking to him and some of the players on the team. So even if he gets his foot in the door there will definitely be opportunity to earn scholarship money if he performs.

My son was happy but a bit questioning as to what this means. I asked him if he had any leanings after this response and he said he was leaning to the D2 school. But I think he was leaning that way already so this maybe just solidified that a bit.

The real issue (and it's not a big issue as the moment) is that he has had some flexor tendon discomfort after the fall showcase tourney. He threw too much when he wasn't quite ramped up and when he got back from that his FT would be irritated when he started warming up for about 10-15 throws. Once warm it was normal but as he cooled down it would come back. Because of this he didn't pitch in any fall ball games and just played infield. It doesn't hurt at any other time and he can lift, twist, etc with no pain. This includes doing band work with a throwing motion. He had it checked out by the trainer and by a doctor. We had an x-ray done (doctor wouldn't do an MRI) and there is no inflammation and no evidence of any issues. The x-ray was after he was shut down for almost 3 weeks. He has not thrown since the end of October as he is in a dead zone. The plan is to continue with that through mid December (at least). So far it feels good with zero pain or issues but he hasn't thrown either. I am not too worried as I think it was just an overuse situation where he tried to overthrow a bit for the showcase and threw a bit too many pitches for where he was on his build up. During the showcase he didn't have any specific throw that caused pain to that area so it wasn't a specific incident type of thing. He didn't have any pain during the showcase as it just showed up about a week later when he was doing fall ball with his HS team. The pain was very minor and more of a nuisance than anything else.

The reason this is an issue is because the D2 coach will be in town over the holidays and we had originally discussed throwing a pen over this time in front of him. Not sure when he is town and if it is more towards January then it might be fine (provided the tenderness has gone away) although he really won't be at full strength.

I suggested my son call the coach and let him know the situation and then he can hopefully get a better indication as to what "penciled into a spot" means as that would be better over the phone than an email.

So my daughter was in a similar situation. I talked to my buddy who is a scout and he said either they are horrible at recruiting or they have other people slotted in front and are hoping that "stuff takes care of itself". What if the coach doesn't like his spring season? This is just my own personal experience, I also know kids that signed offers in March their senior year....

A phone call can't hurt but that reply a slight red flag to me...... YMMV

Good luck with whatever happens

Last edited:

I don't like that answer at all. That's not a commitment.

Go where your really wanted all things being equal.

A phone call can't hurt but its a slight red flag to me...... YMMV
A red flag for whom? Bad my son is calling or bad the coach is saying penciled in?
A red flag about that coach/ school.

I shouldn't have lumped them in one sentence. I meant the coaches reply
I think the thing as to why I don't think it's a big red flag is because the coach we have been dealing with is a volunteer assistant pitching coach that has a connection to our area because that is where he is from. They have 4 or 6 players from our area (a different state than the school). I just don't know how much specific say he has in their overall recruitment. We met the head coach during our visit and he was genuine but I didn't get the feeling he has put too much thought into my son as a recruit at the time we met with him (it was an unofficial visit so it was somewhat coincidental we met with the head coach).

I mean my son is likely reading too much into the words but I don't think it is meant to string us along. I think the guy we are dealing with is genuine and really does have interest but I think the hurdle is the head coach. I would like to know what the head coach is thinking/saying which is why I think a phone call is well worth the time to get a better picture of the actual situation.

I may try to hit up my friend (the HS coach that set up the initial contact with the D2 coach) as he knows the coach better as he deals with him a lot. He may have a better idea of how much pull he has and what that may mean. I will probably have my son talk to him before calling the college coach.

I will keep everyone posted and thanks for the differing opinions. It helps a lot trying to weed through this process.

I'm not claiming to be correct just offering up my opinion on the matter. There's no clear cut answer....
Good luck 🤞

So just going off my own sons experience we were able to eliminate two schools out of the 5 by getting those kind of answers.

Where as the three other schools actually made firm "offers".

When we heard from the other two we like what we saw however we want to see some more or we want you to attend a camp.....vs "We want to extend a formal commitment to you and want you to be "insert school mascot name".

It made it clear who the schools were that truly wanted him.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm not claiming to be correct just offering up my opinion on the matter. There's no clear cut answer....
Good luck 🤞

So just going off my own sons experience we were able to eliminate two schools out of the 5 by getting those kind of answers.

When we heard from the other two we like what we saw however we want to see some more or we want you to attend a camp.....vs "We want to extend a formal commitment to you and want you to be "insert school mascot name".

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate your insights. It is very helpful and it is all new to us so this is great information to think about.

I think it is skewed because my son wants to go to the D2 school. I am guessing that is where he will choose almost regardless. It's not where I would choose based on what I have seen so far but I understand his point of view. He believes he is better than D3 and doesn't have a problem earning a spot because he has the confidence he will do so. It's a great attitude but I just have to show him the pros-cons of a school committing to you and one that is interested in what you can do. The chances you will be given are kind of like being a 1st round pick and a 15th round pick. Either can make it but you will be given much more opportunity as the 1st round pick.

Good luck 🤞

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate your insights. It is very helpful and it is all new to us so this is great information to think about.

I think it is skewed because my son wants to go to the D2 school. I am guessing that is where he will choose almost regardless. It's not where I would choose based on what I have seen so far but I understand his point of view. He believes he is better than D3 and doesn't have a problem earning a spot because he has the confidence he will do so. It's a great attitude but I just have to show him the pros-cons of a school committing to you and one that is interested in what you can do. The chances you will be given are kind of like being a 1st round pick and a 15th round pick. Either can make it but you will be given much more opportunity as the 1st round pick.
Let me throw this out... with the transfer portal these days... what would be the downside of him going to a good D3 that he can get in and shine and then transfer to a D2 later? If he really believes he is better than D3 then if he can find a team where he would get immediate playing time then he should be able to hit the radar of some D2's, heck, maybe D1? And then make the move.

@Gally

My son as you know is a freshman at his D3 school and is elated with his decision.

He had two D2 offers as well.

He made the right choice 1000%

And BTW there are plenty of D3 schools that would beat plenty of D2 schools…..it’s about a lot of factors but most importantly where is you best chance to play and play a lot all other things being equal.
@Gally I might be a little biased being from wisconsin but the D3 wisconsin conference is one of the best in the nation. I think you are correct that the school and athletic fit is more important than the D3 vs D2 distinction. Might be our part of the country but we do not hear anything about division 2 schools. Guess we don't have them.

Would love to being going through the same thing soon as my oldest is a junior and just made the varsity basketball team and already was on the Varsity baseball team last year as a sophomore.

My junior is getting the start tonight for Varsity basketball. Super proud of him. Slightly undersized at 6 ft but can shoot. Great hustle, defense and team guy.

Let me throw this out... with the transfer portal these days... what would be the downside of him going to a good D3 that he can get in and shine and then transfer to a D2 later? If he really believes he is better than D3 then if he can find a team where he would get immediate playing time then he should be able to hit the radar of some D2's, heck, maybe D1? And then make the move.
Nothing wrong with that approach. It's something we have discussed. There were a number of players from the D3 school that is after him that lost players to D1 schools after this year. It's definitely a possibility.

ETA: My son is very loyal so going somewhere to plan to transfer later isn't really his mentality. If he commits to something he will likely want to stick it out and see it through.

Nothing wrong with that approach. It's something we have discussed. There were a number of players from the D3 school that is after him that lost players to D1 schools after this year. It's definitely a possibility.

ETA: My son is very loyal so going somewhere to plan to transfer later isn't really his mentality. If he commits to something he will likely want to stick it out and see it through.
I can understand that... I am very much the same... to my own detriment at times.

So- i cannot find my post, but my daughter was fighting through back pain. Yesterday we finally received something more concrete: she has spondylolisthesis where spinal vertebrae slips over one another.... L4, L5, S1. she is going to try to play her senior year (wants her 4th letter for lax).

This week we found out she got into Cal State SF, and Cal State Channel Islands...14 more to go, but she is relieved that she is in nursing programs.

@CGRdrJoe
San Marcos was one the schools we visited in October. We liked it. In her top 5

Last edited:

Perhaps considering a strong JC/CC program where the mutual goal is to work towards a transfer to a higher level could be a consideration. Here in Southern California at least the CC/JC programs tend to be very good and sell themselves on the connections/exposure to D1/D2 programs. I know quite a few players that came through our high school, had some D3 interest but not quite what they wanted, played at the JC and earned D1 scholarships from the exposure. Just another option if D1/D2 is the ultimate goal.

Perhaps considering a strong JC/CC program where the mutual goal is to work towards a transfer to a higher level could be a consideration. Here in Southern California at least the CC/JC programs tend to be very good and sell themselves on the connections/exposure to D1/D2 programs. I know quite a few players that came through our high school, had some D3 interest but not quite what they wanted, played at the JC and earned D1 scholarships from the exposure. Just another option if D1/D2 is the ultimate goal.
A HS coach in our area suggests that to all his players regardless of their ability level. Unless they are top end (MLB draft level) he recommends going the JC route because it allows you to play for two years then transfer to a D1. Even kids with the ability to get interest from D1 out of HS they typically won't get the chance to play much and now with the portal many D1 schools are just recruiting transfers that have been playing in really good JC areas and stepping right into the starting lineup. So if you are at the D1 as a freshman thinking when you get to be a junior your time will come many times you can't beat out the transfers that have been playing for the last two years while you have been practicing. It makes sense to me.

For my son, he has incredible grades and wants to go to a 4 year school. I can't blame him. Our local JC is extremely good at baseball (we live about an hour north of Santa Barbara so I am familiar with the So-Cal JC programs) and does put out many D1 transfers every year. Baseball wise it would be a great way to go but school wise it isn't a good fit. His ultimate goal isn't necessarily to play D1 so trying this route isn't for him at this stage. It seems he wants to go to a 4 year program and help improve it (and himself) while getting a good education.

Our last basketball game, I challenged my son as our big guy was not available so he would be playing 5 all game long. I told him that he had to go get those rebounds and that was his focus in the game. He responded with 11 rebounds for the game.

Super proud of kid #1. She's been playing volleyball for the past 4ish years and while I can tell she's pretty talented, we didn't pony up to get her into "club" (so expensive) and last year as a 6th grader she didn't make the 6th/7th grade team. She's improved dramatically quite a bit in the past 12 months so when it came time for tryouts as a 7th grader, we were hopeful she'd make the team. Well, she made the first cut this past Tuesday (not surprising) and then performed admirably at the final cut evaluations on Friday.

Found out yesterday that she made the team! She is super excited, but I think her mom and I might actually be more excited and certainly incredibly proud. She puts forth a lot of effort and it's good to see our kids get what they deserve. Found out, too, that a girl she's been friends with since preschool (who went to a different elementary but we've kept in touch with the parents and really like them) also made the team, so hopefully they start to reconnect.

Now if only kid #2 would take an athletic leap in football, I would be over the moon. :oldunsure:

Super proud of kid #1. She's been playing volleyball for the past 4ish years and while I can tell she's pretty talented, we didn't pony up to get her into "club" (so expensive) and last year as a 6th grader she didn't make the 6th/7th grade team. She's improved dramatically quite a bit in the past 12 months so when it came time for tryouts as a 7th grader, we were hopeful she'd make the team. Well, she made the first cut this past Tuesday (not surprising) and then performed admirably at the final cut evaluations on Friday.

Found out yesterday that she made the team! She is super excited, but I think her mom and I might actually be more excited and certainly incredibly proud. She puts forth a lot of effort and it's good to see our kids get what they deserve. Found out, too, that a girl she's been friends with since preschool (who went to a different elementary but we've kept in touch with the parents and really like them) also made the team, so hopefully they start to reconnect.

Now if only kid #2 would take an athletic leap in football, I would be over the moon. :oldunsure:
That is awesome! It is great to see your kids better themselves.

Volleyball is my daughters favorite sport (she also plays basketball). Last year, for 6th grade, she did not make the cut for the A team. She played club and school vball last year (Yes, club is super expensive for vball). 6th grade is when they start to make A/B cuts for basketball and vball. She ended up on B in both. This year, she ended up on B in basketball which was a mild surprise but not really as I think she tends to not do well in tryouts. Over thinking things and playing safe etc. This year, she made the A vball team and they had their first games this weekend which they went 6-0 for total sets. My daughter is the best setter and one of, if not the best, servers. She is pretty well rounded out in the other areas too. Her serve has really improved though and I was very impressed in watching their first games and how well she was getting some velocity on the ball with it being low.

My 7yr old scored 5 goals last week and 4 goals this week. When does he get his scholarship?
Those are rookie numbers. He needs to hit 6 to get the scholarship offers to start coming in.

I am being mostly facetious because he isn't playing in a competitive league or anything. He just started playing soccer in early spring for the first time, but he is really into it and he has scored in every game he has played in across the 3 leagues. I only say "mostly" facetious because I am not sure what I am supposed to do as far as leagues or camps if he actually has a chance to be good. He is fast, has good balance, and has a nose for the ball (for a 7yr old).

My 7yr old scored 5 goals last week and 4 goals this week. When does he get his scholarship?
Those are rookie numbers. He needs to hit 6 to get the scholarship offers to start coming in.

I am being mostly facetious because he isn't playing in a competitive league or anything. He just started playing soccer in early spring for the first time, but he is really into it and he has scored in every game he has played in across the 3 leagues. I only say "mostly" facetious because I am not sure what I am supposed to do as far as leagues or camps if he actually has a chance to be good. He is fast, has good balance, and has a nose for the ball (for a 7yr old).
I know, I was joking along with you.

I don't know much about soccer but I do know that 4 or 5 goals is a lot to score at any level or age. I know our local competitive club starts at age 6. There are a ton of soccer camps/clinics options all around and local HS's usually have some more summer camp options.

I say, if he loves it then get him some extra time in seeking out skill development opportunities like camps and clinics and find out what the local club has going on. But one thing I would say is to make sure to expose him to as many other sports as you can. He may love soccer but he may love another sport even more. Who knows.

I know, I was joking along with you.

I don't know much about soccer but I do know that 4 or 5 goals is a lot to score at any level or age. I know our local competitive club starts at age 6. There are a ton of soccer camps/clinics options all around and local HS's usually have some more summer camp options.

I say, if he loves it then get him some extra time in seeking out skill development opportunities like camps and clinics and find out what the local club has going on. But one thing I would say is to make sure to expose him to as many other sports as you can. He may love soccer but he may love another sport even more. Who knows.
I would also say.....don't be in a hurry. There is plenty of time to explore those opportunities. Get him in leagues that challenge his skill level so he has to improve to stay competitive but don't make it about that. If he is bigger/faster/stronger than his age group I would look to move him up an age group without going club to start. The key at that age is to keep it fun but make him work a bit to succeed. That is how to develop skills at the younger ages. Then if he is liking it and wants to do extra then take a baby step forward for that. Again, there is no hurry no matter what those club coaches will tell you. Also, if he is that good now it would be good for you to start asking around and researching the different organizations to see which ones fit your situation. You can do this well before going that route. Knowing what you are getting into is half the battle. The other half is going somewhere that aligns with your goals/money/time constraints.

A HS coach in our area suggests that to all his players regardless of their ability level. Unless they are top end (MLB draft level) he recommends going the JC route because it allows you to play for two years then transfer to a D1. Even kids with the ability to get interest from D1 out of HS they typically won't get the chance to play much and now with the portal many D1 schools are just recruiting transfers that have been playing in really good JC areas and stepping right into the starting lineup. So if you are at the D1 as a freshman thinking when you get to be a junior your time will come many times you can't beat out the transfers that have been playing for the last two years while you have been practicing. It makes sense to me.

For my son, he has incredible grades and wants to go to a 4 year school. I can't blame him. Our local JC is extremely good at baseball (we live about an hour north of Santa Barbara so I am familiar with the So-Cal JC programs) and does put out many D1 transfers every year. Baseball wise it would be a great way to go but school wise it isn't a good fit. His ultimate goal isn't necessarily to play D1 so trying this route isn't for him at this stage. It seems he wants to go to a 4 year program and help improve it (and himself) while getting a good education.
We eliminated Juco’s right away. Similar situation. My son has exceptional grades and wanted a 4 year school experience.

There are so many factors besides the sport itself.

We eliminated Juco’s right away. Similar situation. My son has exceptional grades and wanted a 4 year school experience.

There are so many factors besides the sport itself.
100% this, and the decision making process is so different for every kid based on their desire.

For my oldest, who is currently a freshman in college, he pretty much knew from the time he was a sophomore in high school that he didn't want to play college sports unless playing the sport helped get him into the school he wanted to go to. He had colleges interested in him for football and basketball, but not the schools he wanted to go to. For basketball, he realistically could make a D2 roster and play a bit, go D3 and play a lot or attempt to walk on at a D1 but probably not see the court regularly. For football, he only played as a senior in high school and had a couple of the local smaller colleges and jucos interested in him as the kind of player that they could easily develop into a D1 prospect. None of these options appealed to him as he wanted to have a semblance of a social life and he did not have an interest in playing professionally, and he knew what major he wanted to pursue. He's at a large school that has a strong program in his major and very competitive intramural/club sports where he will be able to still play basketball, football, volleyball, etc. without the rigor of intercollegiate sports. If playing in college was his main goal, then the decision making process of what colleges to apply to would have been extremely different.

He has several friends and kids that he played with growing up that just wanted to play in college, they didn't care where or at what level, they just wanted to play. Their decision process on what schools to try for was very different than ours.

My middle son is a bit of a D1/D2 prospect for soccer (keeper) with several schools expressing interest, but he has no interest at playing in college. His passion is flying and his plan is to head to one of the airline academes out of high school and attend college online. He is in flight training already, has planned out his goals and is very focused. He enjoys soccer and the competitive aspects of it, it's just no longer his passion or goal to do beyond high school. His process is very different than our first son given his goals don't require the traditional college route.

A good swim meet this weekend for my 10 year old.

Large ISI meet (multiple clubs)
1st in 100 IM
1st in 50 Fly
3rd in 100 Breast
3rd in 50 Free
4th in 100 Free (made regional cut time)
2nd in 100 Fly (but DQ'd, first time in forever, mental lapse)
4th in 50 Breast

On Thursday with a dual meet
1st in 50 Free
1st in 50 Fly
2nd in 200 Free Relay (moved up to the 12U team)

My 8 year old
On the Thursday dual meet
2nd on 25 Breast (but DQ'd, Breast is the hardest stroke in terms of DQ's)
6th in 50 Free

Last week he got promoted to the next level of swim school at level 6 and on his first day got promoted to the 7th and final level.

And throw in a basketball win for my 10 year old yesterday.

Not an athletic accomplishment, but a pretty proud parent moment tonight:

My dad passed away unexpectantly in August. He played trombone which my son who is currently a sophomore also plays. My dad's trombone was given to my son. He did not use it during marching band season because we had it in the shop getting cleaned up and completely gone through. It is at least 50 years old and there appears to be a date on it of 1940 something.

Since we have gotten it back, my son has been regularly using it in band. Tonight was their Christmas concert. I had a few tears come to my eyes when they started playing and selfish me focused on him the whole concert. I could feel my dad's presence and I know my son made his Grandpa proud even though Grandpa never went to any of his concerts (that is another story and one that has been difficult for me, but one that I have come to peace with). I thanked him for using Grandpa's instrument and made sure he knew how proud I am of him.

Another dual meet last night.
my 10 year old:
1st in 50 Free
1st in 50 Fly
200 Medley Relay DQ
2nd in Free Relay
There are two 9 year olds on the relays along with my son and another 10 year old. One of the 9 year olds has been holding his own, the other is struggling... he got the DQ and gave up a large lead.
After the meet, one of the kids from the other team asked my son "Are you the kid that got 38 on the fly? How do you do that?"

My 8 year old:
2nd in the 25 Breast, dropping 3.3 off his time.
3rd in 50 Free
DQ in their medley and the free relay was scratched because one of their swimmers slipped on the deck and hit his head pretty hard, so left.

How time flies. When I started this thread 4 years ago, my son was starting his senior season playing basketball on his high school team. Tomorrow, he takes his last exam to complete his bachelor's degree. I remember bringing him to his first day of preschool. :cry:

He's doing phenomenally well. His professors nominated him for student of the year for the entire college (out of 15,000+ kids) based on academics, contributions to the community, leadership, and volunteering. He'll be getting his Masters in the spring and was selected by the university to be featured in their new social media / marketing campaign for their grad school. He's already been hired on by one of the Big 4 accounting firms. I literally cannot think of anything else he could have done for things to turn out any better. :heart:

He's not doing much competitive these days, but he did try his hand at fantasy football for the first time ever. He got destroyed in Week 1, but with a savvy fantasy veteran advisor helping him, he ended up as the top seed and top scorer on the season. It was great getting 20 texts a day on potential trades, waiver pickups, and roster decisions. I haven't been in a weekly fantasy league in years, and I hate to admit it but researching players, schedules, and matchups again was kind of fun. Just don't tell anyone.

Winter swim season is winding down. Only a few more meets left.

This weekend both of my boys did an ISI meet (big large meet with multiple clubs)

My oldest:
1st in 50 Free (out of 97 swimmers) and dropped 1.39 off his time. is 1.11 away from making the state championships cut (already made regional cuts)
2nd in 100 Free, dropped 12.43 off of his time and made regionals.
5th in 50 Breast, dropped .39 off his time. He is now .37 away from making regional cuts.
9th in 100 Free (added time from his best)
3rd in 50 Fly (added time from his best)

He now has 4 events that he has made the regional cuts for: 50 and 100 Free and 50 and 100 Fly

My little guy:
Dropped 3.9 from his 50 Free time
Dropped 14.2 from his 25 Free time
Dropped 2.32 from his 25 Back time
Established a time for his 25 Fly (finally no DQ)

So we met with the D2 coach righ after Christmas. He was out visiting family in the area and set up a workout for 3 local kids. Since my son has been on arm rest after the fall season he wasn't in a position to throw a bullpen but he did hit and do some infield work. The biggest bonus was actually being able to talk to the coach face to face to get some clarification on his "penciled in" comment.

So my son asked him point blank what that meant and he apologized and said that was terrible wording and understands the confusion. What he clarified is that my son has a spot on the team and whether or not he gets any money offered is based on how his season goes and how he performs once there. He won't have to "try out" for the team as he is already on it but depending on how he performs will dictate play time, redshirt chances, or money. Which is how it should be so no real problem with that. Based on this my son is likely to choose this route. We did ask about housing assistance since the application for housing has already opened up and we haven't done anything with that yet. We asked if the coaching staff will arrange for the freshman recruits to be paired for housing and if there was a specific housing location for the baseball players. He said once he commits to the walk on spot he will be put into the freshman recruit group chat to confirm housing/rooming together.

I am not really sure if there is something more official to "committing to the walk on spot" so we will be asking about that process. In the meantime the D3 coach called again to check in and see how the meeting with the D2 coach went. My son told him what was offered and that he was leaning towards the D2 school for a few reasons not really related to baseball. The major at the D2 school is more of a fit due to their Business-Sports Management program that the D3 school just doesn't offer. He didn't close any doors to the D3 school and the coach kept asking what could be done to put them in the lead. I am just not sure there is anything he can realistically do because my son likes the other area and school aspects better. Plus he believes he can play at the D2 level and wants to prove it.

It's getting narrowed down and I would say 95% a done deal to go to the D2 school.

So we met with the D2 coach righ after Christmas. He was out visiting family in the area and set up a workout for 3 local kids. Since my son has been on arm rest after the fall season he wasn't in a position to throw a bullpen but he did hit and do some infield work. The biggest bonus was actually being able to talk to the coach face to face to get some clarification on his "penciled in" comment.

So my son asked him point blank what that meant and he apologized and said that was terrible wording and understands the confusion. What he clarified is that my son has a spot on the team and whether or not he gets any money offered is based on how his season goes and how he performs once there. He won't have to "try out" for the team as he is already on it but depending on how he performs will dictate play time, redshirt chances, or money. Which is how it should be so no real problem with that. Based on this my son is likely to choose this route. We did ask about housing assistance since the application for housing has already opened up and we haven't done anything with that yet. We asked if the coaching staff will arrange for the freshman recruits to be paired for housing and if there was a specific housing location for the baseball players. He said once he commits to the walk on spot he will be put into the freshman recruit group chat to confirm housing/rooming together.

I am not really sure if there is something more official to "committing to the walk on spot" so we will be asking about that process. In the meantime the D3 coach called again to check in and see how the meeting with the D2 coach went. My son told him what was offered and that he was leaning towards the D2 school for a few reasons not really related to baseball. The major at the D2 school is more of a fit due to their Business-Sports Management program that the D3 school just doesn't offer. He didn't close any doors to the D3 school and the coach kept asking what could be done to put them in the lead. I am just not sure there is anything he can realistically do because my son likes the other area and school aspects better. Plus he believes he can play at the D2 level and wants to prove it.

It's getting narrowed down and I would say 95% a done deal to go to the D2 school.
He got a verbal commitment which is standard procedure.

So the next step is your son needs to make that public. Via Twitter and Instagram and tagging the coaching staff at the said D2 school. That effectively "takes him off the market"

“I am excited to announce my commitment to continue my academic and athletic career by committing to ABC University, I want to thank "insert all here"

Then he will sign a letter of intent on National Signing day at his high school that will be provided to him by his college coach. I think you told me he already applied and was accepted to the school? Was there any academic money they offered him? You can negotiate that as well FYI.

Before he does that.....he should personally speak to the D2 head coach and tell him I am excited to formally commit to the program and can’t wait to get started.

He got a verbal commitment which is standard procedure.

So the next step is your son needs to make that public. Via Twitter and Instagram and tagging the coaching staff at the said D2 school. That effectively "takes him off the market"

“I am excited to announce my commitment to continue my academic and athletic career by committing to ABC University, I want to thank "insert all here"

Then he will sign a letter of intent on National Signing day at his high school that will be provided to him by his college coach. I think you told me he already applied and was accepted to the school? Was there any academic money they offered him? You can negotiate that as well FYI.

Before he does that.....he should personally speak to the D2 head coach and tell him I am excited to formally commit to the program and can’t wait to get started.
Thanks. That is great information some of which I was unaware of. My son has only spoken to the head coach once during our unofficial visit when we met with him. All of the recruitment has been done through the volunteer pitching coach so speaking to the head coach about the status would definitely be a good step and I will recommend he do that before moving forward with any commitments.

I really appreciate the advice. It is very much appreciated.

I think you told me he already applied and was accepted to the school? Was there any academic money they offered him? You can negotiate that as well FYI.
Yes, he has applied and was accepted. In addition, he was awarded a merit scholarship for $2500 per year based on his grades. There are other merit scholarship opportunities that he will be applying for that are just opening up. His mom is on this part of things making sure he applies for all these.

I would think that for being a walk on there would not be any sort of "official" way of doing it since walk on's are kind of unofficial to begin with but that is not talking from experience.

I would think that for being a walk on there would not be any sort of "official" way of doing it since walk on's are kind of unofficial to begin with but that is not talking from experience.
I think "walk on" may be the wrong term. My understanding is he is on the team but there is no athletic scholarship money assigned to him at the moment. So might be different than "walk on" status which implies they aren't accounted for and are trying out for the team once there. But I could be wrong. This is all new to me.

His son from what I read in his conversation with the head coach is guaranteed a spot on the team his Freshman year.

That is known as a preferred walk on. So their is a formal commitment there.

95% of baseball players whether D1 or D2 and NAIA are preferred walk ons.

In D3 every single player is a true walk on. There is no athlete scholarship money in D3

In College Baseball at the D1 level there are 14 scholarships that thy have to spread out for a typical 25-30 man roster.

In D2 there are 9 scholarships to spread out for s similar sized roster........so there is really not a lot of “athletic scholarship” money to be had in baseball.

NAIA actually has the most flexibility with both athletic and academic money.

So there is a term that is called “preferred walk on”. Your spot is guaranteed for your freshman year.......everything will then be up to the student athlete to make the roster in the coming years and fight for playing time.....and in some cases some athletic money.

There is no such thing as a free ride in College Baseball......unless you are Ohtani. It’s a huge awakening for parents and students once they start digging into the recruitment process for college baseball (and other sports for that matter that are not Football or Basketball).

Last edited:
Todem is right in the technicalities of the terms from my experience though there is a difference of offered and committed (d2/d3) and a true walk on.

D2 if you commit you sign the NiL.... if you are a walk on or even preferred walk on - you don't sign anything and you show up to tryouts. Preferred are on the team where a true walk on needs to try out.

And yes D3 is technically all preferred walk ons but that doesn't mean coaches and players don't make commitments to each other - and it can also bring on perks of housing, other academic money priority etc for private colleges.

So these terms are interchangeable and technically are correct but there are underlining differences to offers/commitment even if no athletics money.....

For us - the coach pushed our application to the "top" and got us a few extra bucks...... and the coach could scratch off a player for her recruiting class.

D3 does turn down athletes if they think its not a good fit

His son from what I read in his conversation with the head coach is guaranteed a spot on the team his Freshman year.

In D3 every single player is a true walk on. There is no athlete scholarship money in D3

In College Baseball at the D1 level there are 14 scholarships that thy have to spread out for a typical 25-30 man roster.

In D2 there are 9 scholarships to spread out for s similar sized roster........so there is really not a lot of “athletic scholarship” money to be had in baseball.

So there is a term that is called “preferred walk on”. Your spot is guaranteed for your freshman year.......everything will then be up to the student athlete to make the roster in the coming years and fight for playing time.....and in some cases some athletic money.

There is no such thing as a free ride in College Baseball......unless you are Ohtani. It’s a huge awakening for parents and students once they start digging into the recruitment process for college baseball (and other sports for that matter that are not Football or Basketball).
Because football and basketball are the money sports..... but that brings up something... why does college baseball seem to have a much bigger divide from interest in pro vs college versus football and basketball? As popular as MLB is.... why does that not cross over to college like NFL and NBA?

Because football and basketball are the money sports..... but that brings up something... why does college baseball seem to have a much bigger divide from interest in pro vs college versus football and basketball? As popular as MLB is.... why does that not cross over to college like NFL and NBA?
Because some go to college. Some go straight into the pro system

Because some go to college. Some go straight into the pro system
Yep, so many of the star players in HS go pro immediately. Also, Football has no minor league, it’s college and Basketball is similar but there are some exceptions going to G league and abroad. Baseball has a big minor league system and it’s almost rare that players go straight from college to the pros.

One other huge part is that there are way more foreign prospects in baseball, all of whom don’t go through college. Basketball is again between baseball and football in that there are some foreign prospects but not as many as baseball and after drafting they are typically in the pros, not much minors (some prospects sit in foreign leagues but usually less marquee ones).

Users who are viewing this thread