What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (2 Viewers)

Banged out a bunch of new watches so far and some rewatches.

The new to me movies I liked a lot:
The Raven (35)
Bodies Bodies Bodies
The House of the Devil
Messiah of Evil
X
Pearl

The new to me watches that were meh:
The Prince of Darkness
The Phantom of the Opera (62 and 43)
Totally Killer
The Evil of Frankenstein

I also watched every Mummy movie (total garbage beyond the original), The Brides of Dracula and Dracula's Daughter (neither are good). Of my rewatches, Carrie, Don't Look Now and Rosemary's Baby rose in my estimation. Incredible movies. One that didn't rise was Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I hadn't seen it since I was maybe 13 and my opinion remains unchanged, what a pile of trash. I hate that movie. I will at least acknowledge that it is indeed terrifying.

Messiah of Evil! I was wondering if you got to that, and if it was as interesting for others as it was to me.

I feel like this could be a good discussion about TCM. It would be top 5-10 all time for me.

I must have watched [REC] a while back and forgotten about it somehow, because I watched it again last night and within five minutes I had that "I've seen this before, haven't I?" feeling where I just new what was about to happen next each step of the way but couldn't quite recall the whole plot. That tends to happen with me and horror movies -- I cram too many of them into the month of October and some of them start to run together after a while.

Anyway, I'm glad I picked this back up. What a fantastic take on this genre. And even though it goes basically how you figure it's going to go, many is it gruesome to just the right degree. Big thumbs up, and thanks for the reminder.

I feel like this could be a good discussion about TCM. It would be top 5-10 all time for me.
Full disclosure - I didn't see TCM until my late 20s and have never seen it at the theater. But I was aware of it from an early age, much like The Exorcist it was already legendary. When I finally did see it, I found it grimy, raw and sickening, just as intended. Yet it falls short of elite status for me, more the film equivalent of required reading. In the binary, it's definitely a thumbs up but nowhere near my top 50. Perhaps my opinion would be different if I had seen it before seeing Michael Myers, Freddy Kruger and other descendents but I'll never know. It does certainly stand out from the pack though

Full disclosure - I didn't see TCM until my late 20s and have never seen it at the theater. But I was aware of it from an early age, much like The Exorcist it was already legendary. When I finally did see it, I found it grimy, raw and sickening, just as intended. Yet it falls short of elite status for me, more the film equivalent of required reading. In the binary, it's definitely a thumbs up but nowhere near my top 50. Perhaps my opinion would be different if I had seen it before seeing Michael Myers, Freddy Kruger and other descendents but I'll never know. It does certainly stand out from the pack though
I guess I have a different reaction now. I watch TCM and the reaction is just how it was intended. Raw, grimy - I feel like I need a shower. It's one of the most effective and visceral movies I've seen. Rewatching Freddy mostly makes me roll my eyes at the f/x and cheesiness of the 80s. Do I WANT to watch it more than some others we might name? Hell no, but to me that's part of the reason it gets an elevated status from me.

I was probably in high school or maybe middle school when I saw TCM for the first time. It was considered over-the-top and almost scandalous back then, and you can see why. But this film has a lot going for it. Aside from just being a really well-made film on what must have been no budget (John Larroquette was allegedly paid in weed for his narration) it has some iconic shots that absolutely everyone knows even if you've never seen the movie. And its so much more original than all the slasher movies that tried to capitalize on Halloween. Everyone remembers Leatherface of course, but the whole family was disturbing and quirky.

I also wonder if TCM could maybe be viewed as a companion piece to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. A 1974 film depicting a gruesome end to a VW bus full of hippies? That's kind of on the nose.

One of the things that makes it great is the lack of blood despite it's reputation. Hooper had in his head he could get a PG rating (no pg-13). :lol:

ETA: also Leatherface changing his "masks" to change his roles is creepy AF.

TCM is totally successful for what it’s trying to do but I just do not like that level of grime. It’s just too much for me, that’s not what I’m into at all.

Messiah of Evil! I was wondering if you got to that, and if it was as interesting for others as it was to me.

I can't believe I had never even heard of that movie. What a great rec. I loved it. There's almost nothing like it, it's just so weird.

Pearl was a good one too. Something very different but the performance by Mia Goth is one of the best I've ever seen in a horror film. I really like the choice they make in the movie. At the start, I was like "oh this will be about how this nice kid gets abused her parents and ends up going crazy" but no they make it clear from early on that she is very extremely unwell.

Odd mix the last few nights. Found footage double feature of The Sacrament/As Above, So Below. Then a 60s of The Birds/Brides of Dracula. Last night was Grave Encounters/Rosemary's Baby. On my day off I mixed in Murders in the Rue Morgue quick as I ate lunch.

The 60s won out here. I had a blast with The Birds and I think it gets a bad rap. I still think the idea and lack of explanation to the attacks is Hella creepy and Tippy is great. Rosemary is still great on rewatch. Brides was campy cheese, but it hit the spot.

I am reading a good book titled Shock Value about the 70s horror, but they talked a bit about late 60s ficks at the start, and thought I would watch some from the decade. Doing a little research and adding more titles to the 70s research pile @Ilov80s

Odd mix the last few nights. Found footage double feature of The Sacrament/As Above, So Below. Then a 60s of The Birds/Brides of Dracula. Last night was Grave Encounters/Rosemary's Baby. On my day off I mixed in Murders in the Rue Morgue quick as I ate lunch.

The 60s won out here. I had a blast with The Birds and I think it gets a bad rap. I still think the idea and lack of explanation to the attacks is Hella creepy and Tippy is great. Rosemary is still great on rewatch. Brides was campy cheese, but it hit the spot.

I am reading a good book titled Shock Value about the 70s horror, but they talked a bit about late 60s ficks at the start, and thought I would watch some from the decade. Doing a little research and adding more titles to the 70s research pile @Ilov80s
The Birds is a brilliant horror movie.

Rosemarys Baby is an all timer for me. Ruth Gordon was incredible and Mia was so convincing. Just great performances all around.

Brides of Dracula is a campy treat. I suggest you check out Christopher Lee’s Prince of Darkness as well. Probably my favorite Lee Dracula film. He did not speak one word of dialogue in that one.

As Above So Below was pretty damn good.

Found Footage movies - I saw a lot of inventiveness from this subgenre over the month and a lot of my favorite watches were from here. However, I don't think I like this trend of movies like Dashcam and Deadstream where we have 1 lead and the shtick of also seeing the comments on the screen. I get why it's going that direction, but I'm too old for that and hope it doesn't tilt too much in that direction.

Do you have a full list of these?
No, and I could be exaggerating. I was thinking of those 2, Host, and #Alive. Just a trend I noticed specifically from newer ones coming out in the last few years.

You're not exaggerating. It's almost as if found footage has exhausted the amount of fresh new ideas there are out there.

As for a list, I would consider these great, essential found footage

The Blair Witch Project
As Above, So Below
The Taking of Deborah Logan
REC
Lake Mungo
Grave Encounters
The Sacrament
The Borderlands
V/H/S 1 and 2
Paranormal Activity
Creep

Also noteworthy:
Noroi
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Hell House LLC
The Atticus Institute
The Bay
The Den
Devil's Pass
Be My Cat: A Film for Anne
Trollhunter
The Last Exorcism
Also two non-horror found footage movies: Cloverfield and Chronicle.

We have a pretty bad track record of remaking foreign horror movies.

Quarantine - Rec
Martyrs
Let the Right One In - Let Me In
The Wicker Man
Goodnight Mommy
Pulse

The only one I can think of that is probably as good as the foreign original is The Ring and even that's debatable.
There's the really weird one of #Alive and Alone, two movies made concurrently from the same script from what I can tell. #Alive is Korean, Alone is American.

Found Footage movies - I saw a lot of inventiveness from this subgenre over the month and a lot of my favorite watches were from here. However, I don't think I like this trend of movies like Dashcam and Deadstream where we have 1 lead and the shtick of also seeing the comments on the screen. I get why it's going that direction, but I'm too old for that and hope it doesn't tilt too much in that direction.

I think found footage peaked about 5-10 years ago. I'm a huge fan of the subgenre, but there really are a lot of stinkers out there. It can be hard to find the good stuff and there hasn't been anything worthy of a list in a few years IMO.

Also, I think for next year, we should spend Aug-Sept coming up with a definitive 31 movie for 31 days list, kind of how we did the top 100 70s/80s/90s threads, but with more people. Then the list would be ready for the thread to watch and discuss during October. Is that what you already suggested? I cant remember.
I was going to present options to the group soon while we are in horror mode for opinions on categories and if they should stay or go. I think we could get a good idea on the categories now. What I thought would be wise for next year is repost the categories at the start of Sept. That way people could get an idea of what they might want to watch for those as they look what is on streaming and plan for things. I thought that month could be people throwing around ideas for the categories and where it is streaming, and less debating what the categories are. I hope that makes sense.
Maybe have a criterion of something like "less than X ratings on IMDB" so we get new movies rather than the same list we've been seeing our whole lives.

I've watched The Birds three times. There won't be a fourth. I just don't like it at all.

I'd rather watch Shadow Of A Doubt which is essentially a vampire movie.

My updated list, now with rankings
Texas Chainsaw (22) 4/10
Horror of Dracula 6/10
REC 10/10
REC 2 7/10
Hell House llc. 10/10
Evil Dead (13). 10/10
The Boy 6/10
The Boogeyman. 7/10
Tales of Halloween. 6.5/10
Haunted Mansion (23). 5/10
Megan 5.5/10
Malevolent. 6/10
Candyman (21). 6/10
The Possession of Hannah Grace 6.5/10
You're Killing Me 3/10
Haunt 9/10
Totally Killer. 6/10
At the End of Eight 3/10
Interesting premise but apparently the budget for this movie was only 5k and it shows.
Fall of the House of Usher (series)- 7.5
Cobweb- 7
Hell Fest- 6
Wrong Turn(21)- 5

For the record, I know "Rosemary's Baby" represents in a serious hole in my horror viewing. It's kind of like never having seen The Exorcist. It was on one my streaming service not that long ago but I slept on it.

Stepping outside of horror for a moment, I feel like I'm decently familiar with 1970s films, but my knowledge drops off really fast when you roll it back into the 1960s. I don't know quite why that is. Most of the 70s movies that I know extremely well were made when I was a toddler, so it's not as if I grew up with any of these -- that would be 80s movies. I know a handful of 60s films of course, but there are many more that are on my "Yeah I should sit down and watch that sometime" list.

Watched 1970's cult film Equinox which was made on an $8,000 budget. And really it looks pretty good for the small budget as it's loaded with some decent stopmotion monsters. However, the real charm of the movie is just how low budget it truly is. The ADR is so obvious it's hilarious, the acting is some of the worst I've ever seen, the script is a hoot. If you like a movie that's hilariously bad and yet somehow pretty good, check Equinox on Max. It seems like an influence on Evil Dead as well.

I wouldn't know a catatonic coma if it bit me!
If you knew what was in that book, you'd turn to jelly! It's not meant for worms like you!

For the record, I know "Rosemary's Baby" represents in a serious hole in my horror viewing. It's kind of like never having seen The Exorcist. It was on one my streaming service not that long ago but I slept on it.

Stepping outside of horror for a moment, I feel like I'm decently familiar with 1970s films, but my knowledge drops off really fast when you roll it back into the 1960s. I don't know quite why that is. Most of the 70s movies that I know extremely well were made when I was a toddler, so it's not as if I grew up with any of these -- that would be 80s movies. I know a handful of 60s films of course, but there are many more that are on my "Yeah I should sit down and watch that sometime" list.
Sticking strictly Hollywood films, these ones stand out as the best ones for a general audience
  • The Apartment
  • The Graduate
  • Bonnie and Clyde
  • In the Hear of the Night
  • Hud
  • Spartacus
  • The Manchurian Candidate
  • Cool Hand Luke

1st - The Burning (on Prime). Grade - B-
2nd - Meg 2: The Trench (on Max). Grade - C+
3rd - The Black Demon (on Prime). Grade - D
4th - Cropsey (on Prime). Grade - B
Early Bonus - Talk to Me (theater). Grade - A+
5th - Pet Sematary (2019) (on Paramount Plus). Grade D+
6th - Lights Out (on Netflix). Grade C-
7th - Splatter (on Netflix). Grade F
8th - Totally Killer (on Prime). Grade B
9th - The Rage: Carrie 2 (on Max). Grade - D
10th - Saw X (theater). Grade - B+
11th - The Raven (1935) (on Peacock). Grade B
12th - Tormented (1960) (on TCM, available on Prime). Grade C+
13th - Identity (on AMC+). Grade B
14th - Goosebumps (on Netflix). Grade C-
15th - Triangle (on Freevee). Grade B-
16th - The Strange Thing About the Johnsons (on YouTube). Grade B
17th - Christine (on AMC). Grade B-
18th - Torso (on Prime). Grade C+
19th - Prince of Darkness (on Peacock). Grade C
20th - Color out of Space (on Prime). Grade C+
21st - Cobweb (on Hulu). Grade A-
22nd - The Sadness (on AMC+). Grade A
23rd - The Empty Man (on Hulu). Grade D
24th - Vampyr (on Max). Grade B

25th - An American Werewolf in London (on AMC). Another rewatch, albeit one I hadn't seen in a LONG time. I remembered it gorier than what I saw, but remember this was on AMC so it was edited. The werewolf morphing scenes hold up well and this may have been the first one I saw from the "monster's" point of view. Watching it now, I can see touches indicating the direction of John Landis. I'm glad I got to see it again as there was a lot I had forgotten about, but I would probably have greater appreciation for it with unedited content on a different platform. Grade B

26th - Corpse Bride (on Max). My first animated entry on this list. Not scary at all for adults but very charming, with great animation and fun songs. It's astounding how much more vibrant the afterlife is compared to the world of the living. I purposely watched this to give me a respite from terror and gore while keeping with the Halloween spirit and this was just what I needed. On pure principle, this won't make my Best of list (except for animated), but it's great fun for one who needs a little breather from genuine scares. Grade B+

27th - Run Sweetheart Run (on Prime). I thought I knew what kind of movie this was going to be going in and I was right... for the first ten minutes. From there, it goes on quite the octane run. Good characters and character development with a strong pace but still enough room to let scares develop. Not the scariest but I liked the way the story continued to evolve. Ultimately, nothing groundbreaking but it kept me entertained. Grade B

28th - Pet Sematary: Bloodline (on Paramount Plus). I only saw this because the wife wanted to, as she liked the remake much more than I did and I can't pass up a chance to move closer to 31. This is a prequel that deals with the tale Judd told Louis about the time someone buried a person in the pet cemetery. The results are as expected when one tried to stretch a five-minute flashback into a full-length feature, though there was enough room for several major inconsistencies even there. At least she liked it. As for me; Grade D+

Friday and yesterday caught me up; I'm at 28 movies with 3 days left to get three more. If the night game tonight starts as ugly as I expect, I'll have a chance to add one more, leaving me a double feature on Halloween night to close the show. Success is within reach!

The Exorcist is still #1 for me. Terrifying and way ahead of its time.

25th - An American Werewolf in London (on AMC). Another rewatch, albeit one I hadn't seen in a LONG time. I remembered it gorier than what I saw, but remember this was on AMC so it was edited. The werewolf morphing scenes hold up well and this may have been the first one I saw from the "monster's" point of view. Watching it now, I can see touches indicating the direction of John Landis. I'm glad I got to see it again as there was a lot I had forgotten about, but I would probably have greater appreciation for it with unedited content on a different platform. Grade B
Big fan of this movie. I feel like this one hits a very specific spot where it works great as a straight-up horror movie, but it's got lots of low-key humor and self-awareness without crossing over into comedy or postmodernism. If it were made today, it would be like Scream or Cabin in the Woods, but that genre didn't exist in 1981.

Late to posting, but have been keeping up. Grouped by grade:

Ready or Not: Tons of fun, really enjoyed it, A-
Green Room: Not quite horror, but a nice twist on the genre with Captain Picard like you have never seen him, A-
Saw: Despite the questionable acting, I have always loved the original, A-
The Sadness: Taiwanese zombie movie, lots of gore and a quite a few "am I really seeing this" moments, A-
A Ghost Story: Not really horror and definitely a slow burn, but made an impact on my at the end, A-

I Am Legend: Solid in all the right ways, B+
Midsommar: Takes some time to get going, maybe not for everyone, but I always appreciate unique stories, B+
Bodies, Bodies, Bodies: Enjoyed it a lot, came together nicely at the end, B+
The Ritual: Great atmosphere, goes a bit awry at the end, but solid, B
Escape Room: Fun concept, nice for a change of pace, B
X: Very creepy with some great scenes, B
The Menu: Enjoyed the concept, worth a watch, B
Terrifier 2: More plot than the first one, higher budget, worth a watch if you like extreme gore, B-
Escape Room 2: Decent follow up, nothing groundbreaking but mindless fun, B-

Terrifier: Zero plot, terrible acting, but a creepy killer clown and some of the most disturbing kills for a low budget movie, C+
The Lighthouse: A bit too out there, C+
You're Next: Just didn't work for me, C
Updated with a few additional, all recommendations from this forum:

Taking of Deborah Logan: Great play on found footage, creepy and effective, A-
Hell House LLC: Similar to above, another unique use of found footage, fun ending, A-
Smile: Sure, it's similar to It Follows and others, but I really enjoyed it, A-
Haunt: Solid with some fun moments, B
Cobweb: As so often happens, first 2/3 is really good, but falls apart towards the end and had some lazy writing, Homelander is great though, B-

My 19-year-old daughter was asked to close as a server at Applebee's this weekend and I am one of those dads who just can't sleep when your kids are not home, so I ended up doing a hodgepodge of movies (most I had seen before) on Friday night until 2:30 am.

Train to Busan is a movie I could watch over and over. A
Hannibal is a lot of fun, the Ray Liotta scene makes this movie. B
Totally Killer was also pretty good. My wife and I graduated HS in 1987, so it had a lot of relevant scenes. B-

Last night

We watched The Nun and then Nun 2. I love the Conjuring Universe movies, but the Nun movies just don't connect with me. However, my wife loved this series. I don't find them scary at all and frankly, the interaction between the male lead and the 12-year-old girl in the Nun 2 was really creepy. I give them both a solid C-.

My 19-year-old daughter was asked to close as a server at Applebee's this weekend and I am one of those dads who just can't sleep when your kids are not home, so I ended up doing a hodgepodge of movies (most I had seen before) on Friday night until 2:30 am.

Train to Busan is a movie I could watch over and over. A
Hannibal is a lot of fun, the Ray Liotta scene makes this movie. B
Totally Killer was also pretty good. My wife and I graduated HS in 1987, so it had a lot of relevant scenes. B-

Last night

We watched The Nun and then Nun 2. I love the Conjuring Universe movies, but the Nun movies just don't connect with me. However, my wife loved this series. I don't find them scary at all and frankly, the interaction between the male lead and the 12-year-old girl in the Nun 2 was really creepy. I give them both a solid C-.
We really enjoyed The Nun 2 and felt it exceeded the first one.

I think found footage peaked about 5-10 years ago. I'm a huge fan of the subgenre, but there really are a lot of stinkers out there. It can be hard to find the good stuff and there hasn't been anything worthy of a list in a few years IMO.

Also, I think for next year, we should spend Aug-Sept coming up with a definitive 31 movie for 31 days list, kind of how we did the top 100 70s/80s/90s threads, but with more people. Then the list would be ready for the thread to watch and discuss during October. Is that what you already suggested? I cant remember.
I was going to present options to the group soon while we are in horror mode for opinions on categories and if they should stay or go. I think we could get a good idea on the categories now. What I thought would be wise for next year is repost the categories at the start of Sept. That way people could get an idea of what they might want to watch for those as they look what is on streaming and plan for things. I thought that month could be people throwing around ideas for the categories and where it is streaming, and less debating what the categories are. I hope that makes sense.
Maybe have a criterion of something like "less than X ratings on IMDB" so we get new movies rather than the same list we've been seeing our whole lives.
To be clear, I am not going to post specific suggestions for people when I post the list if we think it sounds interesting. I just liked the idea of having categories or a little bit of guidance.

For example, say we do something like 5th movie or higher in a franchise. That opens it up for people to check off that box by watching anything from Friday the 13th Part 8 to Halloween reboot to I'm guessing an old weird Frankenstein sequel. I think the categories will help steer people to things they haven't seen before, but also keep it open enough so people can cater it to their tastes and what services they have access to. This is fun, I'm not going to be squabbling about if things qualify or not.

Texas Chainsaw (22) 4/10
Horror of Dracula 6/10
REC 10/10
REC 2 7/10
Hell House llc. 10/10
Evil Dead (13). 10/10
The Boy 6/10
The Boogeyman. 7/10
Megan 5.5/10
Malevolent. 6/10
Candyman (21). 6/10
You're Killing Me 3/10
Haunt 9/10
Totally Killer. 6/10
At the End of Eight 3/10
Interesting premise but apparently the budget for this movie was only 5k and it shows.
Cobweb- 7
Hell Fest- 6
Wrong Turn(21)- 5
Renfield- 7
Wow, what a fun movie! Cage as Dracula doing Cage things, over the top cartoon violence and a decent story.

I think I’m done with most new found footage. I’m in a FF Facebook group just for new recommendations and everyone was praising one called Project Eerie, so I watched it and it was terrible. Then I found out it had a budget of $700. I mean I guess it was not bad considering that, but I wish I had known it was essentially the equivalent of a college film class project.

I think I’m done with most new found footage. I’m in a FF Facebook group just for new recommendations and everyone was praising one called Project Eerie, so I watched it and it was terrible. Then I found out it had a budget of $700. I mean I guess it was not bad considering that, but I wish I had known it was essentially the equivalent of a college film class project.
Probably my least favorite horror genre. I like horror movies that seem like that can't actually be real.

1st - The Burning (on Prime). Grade - B-
2nd - Meg 2: The Trench (on Max). Grade - C+
3rd - The Black Demon (on Prime). Grade - D
4th - Cropsey (on Prime). Grade - B
Early Bonus - Talk to Me (theater). Grade - A+
5th - Pet Sematary (2019) (on Paramount Plus). Grade D+
6th - Lights Out (on Netflix). Grade C-
7th - Splatter (on Netflix). Grade F
8th - Totally Killer (on Prime). Grade B
9th - The Rage: Carrie 2 (on Max). Grade - D
10th - Saw X (theater). Grade - B+
11th - The Raven (1935) (on Peacock). Grade B
12th - Tormented (1960) (on TCM, available on Prime). Grade C+
13th - Identity (on AMC+). Grade B
14th - Goosebumps (on Netflix). Grade C-
15th - Triangle (on Freevee). Grade B-
16th - The Strange Thing About the Johnsons (on YouTube). Grade B
17th - Christine (on AMC). Grade B-
18th - Torso (on Prime). Grade C+
19th - Prince of Darkness (on Peacock). Grade C
20th - Color out of Space (on Prime). Grade C+
21st - Cobweb (on Hulu). Grade A-
22nd - The Sadness (on AMC+). Grade A
23rd - The Empty Man (on Hulu). Grade D
24th - Vampyr (on Max). Grade B
25th - An American Werewolf in London (on AMC). Grade B
26th - Corpse Bride (on Max). Grade B+
27th - Run Sweetheart Run (on Prime). Grade B
28th - Pet Sematary: Bloodline (on Paramount Plus). Grade D+

29th - Ringu (on AMC+). I am very familiar with the American remake The Ring but had never been able to see the original until now. The early part of the story is near-identical and it never really goes too far away throughout. I must say the deviations The Ring made were for the best. I loved the concept of the films and this was the true genesis so appreciation needs to be shown, but I did like the American version better. It's also been 25 years since this came out, so it's looking a little dated. Still worth a look. Grade B-

Texas Chainsaw (22) 4/10
Horror of Dracula 6/10
REC 10/10
REC 2 7/10
Hell House llc. 10/10
Evil Dead (13). 10/10
The Boy 6/10
The Boogeyman. 7/10
Megan 5.5/10
Malevolent. 6/10
Candyman (21). 6/10
You're Killing Me 3/10
Haunt 9/10
Totally Killer. 6/10
At the End of Eight 3/10
Cobweb- 7
Hell Fest- 6
Wrong Turn(21)- 5
Renfield- 7
Wow, what a fun movie! Cage as Dracula doing Cage things, over the top cartoon violence and a decent story.
Terrifier - 6
Creepy clown gore fest, next up is part 2

Hell House LLC Origins - The Carmichael Manor

Was expecting something a lot worse than what it is. They do a good job of tying it into the original Hell House series. If you’re missing the clowns, don’t worry, they’re back. 3.25/5

Hell House LLC Origins - The Carmichael Manor

Was expecting something a lot worse than what it is. They do a good job of tying it into the original Hell House series. If you’re missing the clowns, don’t worry, they’re back. 3.25/5
Is this part 2? I see the 3rd one is available but haven't been able to find part 2 anywhere

For the full moon, I watched three werewolf movies

The Wolfman (2010 - J. Johnston)
The Curse of the Werewolf (1961 - T. Fisher)
Wolfen (1981 - M. Wadleigh)

The remake of The Wolfman was the best of the lot. It's a beautifully shot prestige project with some R-rated gore to spice things up. Benicio made an effective, brooding Wolfman with Anthony Hopkins and Emily Blunt also in the cast.

Early 60s Hammer production The Curse of the Werewolf was a disappointment. It was dreadfully slow with layers of backstory and star Oliver Reed not making his appearance until midway through the film. They held off on showing the monster until the very end and he looked lame.

Wolfen
was a decent watch but it wasn't really horror and the wolves could shapeshift without a full moon. The movie played out more like a 70s police procedural with Albert Finney as a rebellious NYPD detective with a heart of gold. There were some cool visual effects in wolf vision and location shots in NYC.

Users who are viewing this thread