What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harbaugh's ego (1 Viewer)

I haven't followed any of Harbaugh's Michigan troubles closely, only to know something happened, but what if the NCAA issues a suspension and the NFL honors it. The NFL needs their NCAA minor league more than they need any coach.

I haven't followed any of Harbaugh's Michigan troubles closely, only to know something happened, but what if the NCAA issues a suspension and the NFL honors it. The NFL needs their NCAA minor league more than they need any coach.
I don't see the NFL "needing" the NCAA. If the NFL didn't have the rule on draft eligibility, you'd see more kids skip college our bolt after a year or two. If anything, the NCAA needs to stay in the NFL's good graces to keep them from becoming college basketball where none of the top guys stick around for more than a year.

If old Jimmy boy as a choice between Harrison Jr and Alt, who does HE take? And if he takes Alt, does Herbert punch Jimmy boy in the face?

If old Jimmy boy as a choice between Harrison Jr and Alt, who does HE take? And if he takes Alt, does Herbert punch Jimmy boy in the face?
If they do not trade down I would not be shocked if they took Alt. Harbaugh made it clear he is excited to build the line.

Watching a few Michigan games the last few years they dominated in the trenches with physical football.

Still, I doubt they pass on Harrison if he is there.

To the second question, absolutely not. He’ll stay upright longer.

But yeah, Harbaugh isn’t passing on the chance to take the best prospect his former rival has produced in about 25 years. (Unless they trade down)

Chargers already have a stud LT. Harbaugh will trade down a few spots and take Fuaga or Latham to play RT. That is unless Marvisson II falls into his lap at 5, which was perhaps his grand (JJM) plan all along.

Heard they prefer another OT over Alt.

Either way they'll try and trade back if they can, no matter if MHJ is available or not.

Either way they'll try and trade back if they can, no matter if MHJ is available or not.

I haven't heard that specifically about Alt. I guess I could see them preferring Fuaga, but it would surprise me if it is another OT. Agree they will try to trade back no matter who is available, and I think that is the right move for them.

I haven't heard that specifically about Alt. I guess I could see them preferring Fuaga, but it would surprise me if it is another OT. Agree they will try to trade back no matter who is available, and I think that is the right move for them.
I think Latham is ideal in a move back scenario

Sure, I agree. I should have noted that I meant I could see the Chargers having Fuaga as OT1 on their board and Alt OT2. I think they would likely be happy with 5+ of the OTs in this draft at the right spot in the draft.

I would be surprised if Alt is lower than OT2 on their board.

Sure, I agree. I should have noted that I meant I could see the Chargers having Fuaga as OT1 on their board and Alt OT2. I think they would likely be happy with 5+ of the OTs in this draft at the right spot in the draft.

I would be surprised if Alt is lower than OT2 on their board.
Agree with all of that.

Could see them not preferring Alt since he's been a pure LT, but hard to see how he could not be worse then 2 and figure it out later with Slater. Think we are on the page in that they'd rather not be making that pick at 5, but move back to a spot they can still get a top OT.

If it ends up they get stuck at 5 I really would not be surprised what they do between OT and WR. I believe every word out of their mouth about the kind of team they are trying to build though, and when that's your goal you'll need that WR to just be your BPA over the OT to a degree you just can't pass but I don't think it's what they want to do.

If I had to guess, Harbough is going OL whereever he ends up drafting.
Feel similar and this is not getting me off that thought process but I read the other day the Chargers have not brought in one single OL for a 30 visit. That's kind of odd to me but again not enough to sway me off of thinking they are going to go OL heavy, even if Nabers was one of their 30 visits. Just an odd approach they seemed to take to their 30 visits

Feel similar and this is not getting me off that thought process but I read the other day the Chargers have not brought in one single OL for a 30 visit. That's kind of odd to me but again not enough to sway me off of thinking they are going to go OL heavy, even if Nabers was one of their 30 visits. Just an odd approach they seemed to take to their 30 visits

The rules on visits are interesting, described in this article: Chargers Top 30 Visits Update: Does It Matter?

From the article:

For what it’s worth, Top 30 visits did not identify future Chargers draft picks very often, with the most notable exception in recent years coming in the form of backup quarterback Easton Stick, drafted in the fifth round.

Also:

Reports on player visits tend to be sparse until about the 15th, when a bevy of them flow in. Expect this list to expand substantially in the next several days.

The rules on visits are interesting, described in this article: Chargers Top 30 Visits Update: Does It Matter?

From the article:

For what it’s worth, Top 30 visits did not identify future Chargers draft picks very often, with the most notable exception in recent years coming in the form of backup quarterback Easton Stick, drafted in the fifth round.

Also:

Reports on player visits tend to be sparse until about the 15th, when a bevy of them flow in. Expect this list to expand substantially in the next several days.
That new Avatar is going to take some getting used to.

Since the Chargers have a new GM/HC I would think past history of relevance of 30 visits means nothing. My guess is it won't mean anything this time either because, and I know you agree, they will be planning to draft some OL even if they don't bring any in, just a different approach then what I'd expect. Spent a 30 visit on Corum, that would not seem necessary. Some teams have a multi year track record of using their first few picks on player who were brought in on 30 visits, this does not appear to be one of those teams.

On that last note Wednesday is the last day for visits.

From the article:

Also:

That new Avatar is going to take some getting used to.

Since the Chargers have a new GM/HC I would think past history of relevance of 30 visits means nothing. My guess is it won't mean anything this time either because, and I know you agree, they will be planning to draft some OL even if they don't bring any in, just a different approach then what I'd expect. Spent a 30 visit on Corum, that would not seem necessary. Some teams have a multi year track record of using their first few picks on player who were brought in on 30 visits, this does not appear to be one of those teams.

On that last note Wednesday is the last day for visits.

Yeah, that blurb about the Chargers past isn't predictive, but I doubt "top 30 visits" are strongly correlated to drafted players for many teams. You mention it is for a few, but I assume without knowing that they are in the minority.

As the article mentions, "top 30" visits don't include any visits the Chargers have with players who:
  1. Played at colleges within 50 miles and/or in metro area -- USC, UCLA
  2. Home address (presumably parents' home) within 50 miles and/or in metro area -- not sure where to find this but assume a decent number of draft prospects are from LA
  3. Played at 1 of 3 FBS schools assigned to the Chargers -- the article doesn't identify these and I don't know where to find them
So they could easily have 50+ visits. But do they really have time to do that and make those visits meaningful? Not sure about that. If they don't have time to reasonably conduct all of the visits they could conduct under the rules, then it stands to reason that they may not place a lot of importance on these visits other than for medical assessments with the team's medical staff.

Also, I don't know which players the Chargers met with at the combine, but I assume they met with some OL players there, which may be a reason they wouldn't bring any/many in for "top 30" visits.

As for Corum, I assume that visit was specifically to enable Chargers medical staff to assess his knee for themselves.

Finally, I'm not aware that teams have to report these visits to the media. I assume since there is a limit and governing rules, they must be reported to the NFL, but it seems that most of the visits make it into the media trackers via social media references. It's not clear to me that anyone reporting on visits really knows all of the visits the Chargers have conducted at any given time. If there is an official source, please correct me on this.

I doubt "top 30 visits" are strongly correlated to drafted players for many team
It is for a few teams. I think the Steelers for instance, my team, have not picked a player in round one they have not brought in for a 30 visit in years. Usually their first few picks are players they brought in.

Also, I don't know which players the Chargers met with at the combine, but I assume they met with some OL players there, which may be a reason they wouldn't bring any/many in for "top 30" visits.
I've seen a comprehensive list and included Alt at the combine and another OL at his pro day.

Finally, I'm not aware that teams have to report these visits to the media
If you are trying to make a point there a lot of visits we don't know about I will have to agree to disagree.

This already went a lot further then I intended. Was simply trying to point out how odd it is for a team everyone things is going to go heavy on OL to not actually bring a single one in on a 30 visit. That is all.

This already went a lot further then I intended. Was simply trying to point out how odd it is for a team everyone things is going to go heavy on OL to not actually bring a single one in on a 30 visit. That is all.

Sorry, wasn't trying to belabor it, just was interested to talk about it.

I'm ready to believe they trade down and take DL first. Maybe DE at 11, and OT at 23

Edge is their strongest position group other than QB... meanwhile, they need almost everything -- in no particular order, CB, C, WR, TE, RB, IDL, LB, plus Harbaugh/Roman probably want another OT. There are so many high quality players, if they make a pick at 11 and take an edge player, it would be shocking... if they take an edge player in the first 3 rounds, it would be shocking.

Sorry, wasn't trying to belabor it, just was interested to talk about it.
We seem to get off the wrong foot to often, it's mainly my fault, not yours. No offense intended at all and thanks for engaging in convo. I was just trying to pass along some info I thought was odd when I cam across it this weekend, that the one team most expected to go heavy on OL has not scheduled a 30 visit.

Users who are viewing this thread