What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harbaugh's ego (1 Viewer)

Yep. Sorry. Some people actually have high standards. YMMV  :shrug:
  :lmao:  
who do you think is clamoring to take the job in A2? Especially if the rumor of a low ball offer is true. 
i grew up watching the big blue, and it has a nice history. But it’s just not an attractive job for coaches who could go to the NFL or SEC. 

:lmao:  
who do you think is clamoring to take the job in A2? Especially if the rumor of a low ball offer is true. 
i grew up watching the big blue, and it has a nice history. But it’s just not an attractive job for coaches who could go to the NFL or SEC. 
Matt Rhule put his name out there.

I’ll give him credit for improving Baylor quick. But good luck. If he succeeds he’ll leave before his first incoming class graduates. 
Pretty much agree. Plus he's not a "Michigan Man" FWIW. They seem to be hung up on that down there.  Plus there's the Dr. Anderson sexual abuse lawsuit hanging out there as well that the university and football team/athletic department is dealing with, so whomever takes the job will have most likely to deal with that issue either directly or indirectly, whether they want to or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is bizarre.  I am a U-M grad and fan.  Most of the people I know don`t care if he comes back or not.

Rumor I heard yesterday from a guy I know close to the program is that the new deal Michigan offered Harbaugh would make him the 4th highest paid in the BIG East and he was miffed.
If that's accurate he should have walked. 

I don't think that harbaugh would be leaving if they hadn't cut his salary. He said he would do it for free, and while he doesn't "need" the money, he has an ego. So imo, that "insult" and as well as wanting a chance at a Super Bowl are going to be enough to make him leave um. Previously, I was sure he would stay.

If that's accurate he should have walked. 
Lol. At the time of Harbaugh's extension, after six years in Ann Arbor, he was...

a) coming off a 2-4 record

b) .500 or less in his career against MSU, OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State

c) 0-5 vs. Ohio State

d) 1-4 in bowl games

e) 1-9 vs. ranked opponents on the road

f) owner of the largest home loss since 1935 (vs Wisconsin) and lost to a team that was 0-5 or worse for the first time in Michigan history (PSU)

Not bad for the 4th highest paid college coach. Give that man a raise!

The Vikings expected to hire the Rams OC (who doesn't call plays and has never been a head coach). It's rumored that Adofo-Mensah wanted to hire Harbaugh and ownership overruled him. Sounds like a great start, pairing a GM with the coach they didn't want, and the coach knowing that they weren't the GM's first pick. 

Harbaugh apparently treated the interview like he'd already gotten the job, he's definitely an awkward dude. 

The Vikings expected to hire the Rams OC (who doesn't call plays and has never been a head coach). It's rumored that Adofo-Mensah wanted to hire Harbaugh and ownership overruled him. Sounds like a great start, pairing a GM with the coach they didn't want, and the coach knowing that they weren't the GM's first pick. 

Harbaugh apparently treated the interview like he'd already gotten the job, he's definitely an awkward dude. 
I heard they were put off by the fact he came to the interview wearing cleats and receiver gloves and a whistle around his neck.

Really good article on The Athletic about this. 

The theory in the article is that MIN wanted no HC/GM static, and wanted him to reassure them. Harbaugh was probably expecting a bit more autonomy, and we thrown by the question. Once he was clear he wasn't going to have final word, he was out. I think Harbaugh thought that new GM was gonna be a yes man, and that wasn't the case. 

And that they were blown away by O'Connell. 
Lol oh goodness. If they were blown away by a guy who's never even called plays, and not a coach who's been successful everywhere he's been, then it's just going to be the same ####ty Vikings for the foreseeable future.  Terrible franchise 

Lol oh goodness. If they were blown away by a guy who's never even called plays, and not a coach who's been successful everywhere he's been, then it's just going to be the same ####ty Vikings for the foreseeable future.  Terrible franchise 
As a Packers fan, I agree with this strategy by the Vikings.  👍

“I called Warde (Manuel, the Michigan athletic director) and I asked him if he wanted me to be the head coach. And he said, ‘Yes, 100 percent.’ And I said, OK then. That’s what I want to do.'

“And I told him, ‘Warde, this will not be a reoccurring theme every year. This was a one time thing.”. 

😉

“I called Warde (Manuel, the Michigan athletic director) and I asked him if he wanted me to be the head coach. And he said, ‘Yes, 100 percent.’ And I said, OK then. That’s what I want to do.'

“And I told him, ‘Warde, this will not be a reoccurring theme every year. This was a one time thing.”. 

😉
Like a husband that got caught. Let's hope Warde isn't too hard on The Beaver.

😉
:lol:

Plus Jon Snow in Chicago is gonna be the king of the north.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/jeff-seidel/2022/02/03/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh-nfl-minnesota-vikings-drama/9319063002/

Jeff Seidel at the Freep.  It's pay-walled.

The Wolverines now are coming off a tremendously successful 12-2 season, which included beating Ohio State for the first time under Harbaugh, winning the Big Ten for the first time in 17 years and reaching the CFP for the first time.

And what did Harbaugh do?

He made it known that he was interested in the NFL. He started looking for a new patch of dirt to build something.

That’s who he is.

That’s a pretty ballsy thing for a guy who has such a complicated legacy at Michigan: The program is in a better place than when he arrived. That much is obvious. But he was never the savior that many expected.

There has been no "Ten Year War" with Ohio State — just five straight losses before beating the Buckeyes in their down year.

There has been no run on Big Ten championships — just a single crown in the last seven years, the same as Michigan State and Penn State, while Ohio State has four.

There has been no dominance over the Spartans — Harbaugh has yet to beat MSU coach Mel Tucker.

There has been little success in bowl games – Harbaugh has a 1-5 bowl record, the second worst in school history.

There was no national title — just a blowout against Georgia. Yes, Michigan is coming off a CFP appearance. Give Harbaugh credit for that. He did a fantastic job last season after getting humbled with a pay cut. But he failed to lift this program to the elite level — and by elite, I’m talking Georgia-level.

Harbaugh has a 61-24 record at Michigan — a .718 winning percentage, which ranks 11th in school history, according to Sports Reference.

For this, he has been compensated like no other football coach in Michigan history. He has made $50 million in his seven years, according to USA TODAY. So what has Michigan gotten for that money?

Harbaugh has injected juice and life back into the program; and, by all accounts, he runs a clean program.

You could argue that Michigan is on the right track, that things have turned.

But you can just as easily argue that Michigan will have a hard time repeating last year’s success.

Did you see Ohio State in the Rose Bowl? The Buckeyes have some serious talent returning next year.

Yes, Michigan has high-end talent on offense in Donovan Edwards and J.J. McCarthy shows promise.

But Michigan also has serious concerns on defense. The Wolverines have lost two stud defensive linemen and a stud defensive back. Oh, and someone else. Someone significant — its freakin’ defensive coordinator.

I think it would be ill-advised to assume Michigan is going to take a step forward next year. Or even stay at the same level.

More likely, it will take a step back.

To be clear, Harbaugh has a lot of work left to do. College football has changed dramatically in the past seven years. This is not the same job that Harbaugh took back then. Everything is different in the age of NIL (Name, Image and Likeness) and the transfer portal.

But something else has changed: coaching salaries.

With the big bucks being thrown around to college football coaches — yes, Harbaugh can thank Mat Ishbia for raising the bar for everybody — Harbaugh is about to get a massive raise.

I’m sure he’ll sign an extension soon, and he deserves it in the current marketplace, coming off such a great year.

But still, I have one last question.

After the reports that he had already said goodbye to some in the Michigan program.

After the reports that he told recruits that he was considering leaving.

After all the twists and turns of this never-ending soap opera.

How in the world can he walk back into Schembechler Hall?

It’s Harbaugh, silly. Nothing fazes him. He puts the bizarre into "bizarro world."

So after all this drama ... nothing has changed.

Fallout already at U-M from Harbaugh's shenanigans. Broyles Award winner OC Josh Gattis defecting in a lateral move just to get away from all the drama.

Vikings fans should be thankful Harbaugh didn't get their HC job.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33230839/sources-miami-hires-josh-gattis-away-michigan-football-team-new-offensive-coordinator

Every fan I know before this year wanted Gattis fired. I just talke to a friend of mine who is a booster about Gattis and he said "Good!"    They need someone more innovative that Gattis.

Even though they had a great season until the last few games the play calling was suspect at best.  If Michigan ran 60 plays a game 40 would be right up the middle.  They had a good o-line and some really good  RBs.

Every fan I know before this year wanted Gattis fired. I just talke to a friend of mine who is a booster about Gattis and he said "Good!"    They need someone more innovative that Gattis.

Even though they had a great season until the last few games the play calling was suspect at best.  If Michigan ran 60 plays a game 40 would be right up the middle.  They had a good o-line and some really good  RBs.
Interesting. Good to know. The big improvement in the running game was noticeably upgraded last year and perhaps more Matt Weiss (front-runner as replacement) than Gattis.

Interesting. Good to know. The big improvement in the running game was noticeably upgraded last year and perhaps more Matt Weiss (front-runner as replacement) than Gattis.

We will see but pretty sure it will be an upgrade at OC.

OK just got the scoop from my buddy. 

When it looked like Harbaugh might be leaving Gattis went to Ward Manuel the AD to talk about becoming the HC.  Manuel had no interest in Gattis being promoted to HC. So Gattis felt disrespected and left.

This from profootballtalk:

"By all accounts and appearances, Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh wanted to join the Vikings. By all accounts and appearances, the Vikings weren’t fully sold on Harbaugh. It apparently got awkward, with Harbaugh basically treating the move as a done deal during his interview....."

More info on Josh Gattis leaving.  Rumor has it Michigan wants to make Mike Hart associate HC and Co-OC.     Gattis was bitter knowing he had no shot if Harbaugh left to be HC and then sharing his job with Mike Hart.

They had not been happy with Gattis as OC for a couple of years and wanted Mike Hart in the mix.

Not sure where you heard this?

From what I have heard they never made Harbaugh an offer. 

They may have been willing to give him a 2nd interview before making a final decision but Harbaugh decided to take his job back instead of going through that process and the Vikings decided they wanted OConnell.

So what I have heard sounds pretty different than what you are saying. Especially the parts about the GMs decision being over rides by ownership and who was their first choice 

Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh and the university have agreed on a contract extension.

Harbaugh's new deal with Michigan will keep him with the program through 2026, although the monetary side of the agreement has not yet been announced. Harbaugh spent the first few weeks of the college football offseason entertaining coaching offers, and was rumored to several NFL teams including Miami, Las Vegas and Minnesota, but it was the Minnesota rumors that led many to believe he may actually leave. Harbaugh has been at Michigan for seven seasons, leading the Wolverines to a 61-24 record and a bowl appearance on six occasions. Last season the Wolverines enjoyed their best season under Harbaugh's reign, as they went 12-2 and made the college football playoffs as an unranked team, becoming the first in playoff history to do so. After announcing his decision to stay with the program, Harbaugh said he would no longer be entertaining the lure of the NFL. This new contract extension should make those still skeptical of an impending departure feel a little more at ease for the time being.

SOURCE: MGoBlue.com

Feb 16, 2022, 5:14 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jim Harbaugh's contract extension with the University of Michigan contains a modest buyout. 

In other words, there won't be much standing in the way of the 58-year-old renewing his NFL dalliance in 2023. Per Rapsheet, Harbaugh's 2023 buyout is $3 million and then goes down from there. That would be peanuts to any NFL club seriously interested in hiring the former 49ers head coach. Harbaugh has claimed he is once again fully committed to Michigan and that this year's NFL job hunt was a one-off. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Feb 17, 2022, 1:43 PM ET

The Athletic's Joe Person reports Panthers owner David Tepper has talked with Michigan coach John Harbaugh about Carolina's head coach position.​

Harbaugh has also been linked to the Broncos job and The Athletic had a piece Monday predicting that he would be open to taking an NFL job this offseason. Harbaugh almost got the Vikings job last offseason before they decided to go with Kevin O'Connell and the former 49ers coach had a lot of success in his first go-round as an NFL head coach. The smoke seems to be getting heavy that he'll fill one of the vacancies this offseason.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Joe Person on Twitter
Jan 3, 2023, 1:29 PM ET

The Athletic's Joe Person reports Panthers owner David Tepper has talked with Michigan coach John Harbaugh about Carolina's head coach position.​

Harbaugh has also been linked to the Broncos job and The Athletic had a piece Monday predicting that he would be open to taking an NFL job this offseason. Harbaugh almost got the Vikings job last offseason before they decided to go with Kevin O'Connell and the former 49ers coach had a lot of success in his first go-round as an NFL head coach. The smoke seems to be getting heavy that he'll fill one of the vacancies this offseason.
RELATED:
B2B CFP appearances, even if he does win the whole thing
Add in a Super Bowl appearance and largely a success in San Fran when he was the HC
Still only 58 years old and you look at what Pete Carroll did around the age of 60 when he returned to the NFL
You put Harbaugh in charge of a talented team with a couple chips in the draft and he might be a great option vs the next flavor of the month at OC/DC getting their 1st HC job
Go get someone who is proven

RELATED:

John Harbaugh? Do they proof what they write?

RELATED:
B2B CFP appearances, even if he does win the whole thing
Add in a Super Bowl appearance and largely a success in San Fran when he was the HC
Still only 58 years old and you look at what Pete Carroll did around the age of 60 when he returned to the NFL
You put Harbaugh in charge of a talented team with a couple chips in the draft and he might be a great option vs the next flavor of the month at OC/DC getting their 1st HC job
Go get someone who is proven
And he is one of the top 5 quarterbacks to ever play for the Bears which of course is like being one of the top 5 all time players for the Washington Generals :)

RELATED:

John Harbaugh? Do they proof what they write?
That's how you know when the info is good. Guy can't even get the freaking name straight.

Users who are viewing this thread