What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Harbaugh's ego (2 Viewers)

He doesn't seem like a QB who is in over his head or that the game is too big for him but at the same time, there is A LOT on the line for the Niners right now. This really is their window of opportunity and because they KNOW they can get into the NFC conference game with Smith, I tend to agree with the OP. The difference in the QBs is worth talking about but the unknown/unseen is how Kaepernick will react to the pressure as it increases. I thinkt he Niners best move is to go with Smith and find ways to incorporate Kaepernick into the offense if they can. Then, if they don't reach the Super Bowl or make a deep run in the playoffs, then make the decision in the offseason and say "We gave it two good runs and we just need whatever that is that will put us over the hump." But to do it this way kind of paints them into a corner with no out should they waffle down the stretch.

There is such a big difference between a playoff game being played at Candlestick vs. the Falcons' dome, New York, or Green Bay that I think you really have to consider what its going to take to secure that. Starting Kaepernick on the road against a team that just played them to a tie at home is obviously a questionable call.

and directly to the top as soon as he started would imply 7 or 8 championshipshyperbole does not help your case, it deflates ithe has been drastically improved teams everywhere he went and made them contendersthat speaks highly enough of him without trying to make him a deity
he's a good coach. what's your point?
I've made my point clear
so, we agree that he is a good coach. he is incapable of making mistakes?
are you even pretending to read what i wrote?
My bad. I had to go back and read your full post.

He doesn't seem like a QB who is in over his head or that the game is too big for him but at the same time, there is A LOT on the line for the Niners right now. This really is their window of opportunity and because they KNOW they can get into the NFC conference game with Smith, I tend to agree with the OP. The difference in the QBs is worth talking about but the unknown/unseen is how Kaepernick will react to the pressure as it increases. I thinkt he Niners best move is to go with Smith and find ways to incorporate Kaepernick into the offense if they can. Then, if they don't reach the Super Bowl or make a deep run in the playoffs, then make the decision in the offseason and say "We gave it two good runs and we just need whatever that is that will put us over the hump." But to do it this way kind of paints them into a corner with no out should they waffle down the stretch.There is such a big difference between a playoff game being played at Candlestick vs. the Falcons' dome, New York, or Green Bay that I think you really have to consider what its going to take to secure that. Starting Kaepernick on the road against a team that just played them to a tie at home is obviously a questionable call.
:goodposting:

The future is Kaepernick but I'm not the only one questioning his mistake to go with Kaepernick this year in the middle of a very competitive season (a legitimate SB contender with Smith). At first glance, it seems as though the masses agreed with Harbossy (only because the Niners won their first two games with Kaep starting), but now things are starting to get hairy.

Yesterday's loss itself probably 85% on Kaep, 14% on Harbaugh and 1% on Akers. (kickers are gonna miss 50 yarders sometimes - it happens). But the bigger issue is the decision to stick with Kaep. And that is all on Harbozo.

This is only the beginning of the learning curve for Kaepernick. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Harbuagh is a smart coach but this is a massive fail if he sticks with his 2nd best QB down the stretch. In my opinion, it is equivalent of throwing away a potential super bowl season to bring in the guy you drafted. It's sheer stubbornness and his ego is getting to big. He could learn a few things from his brother. The better coach of the two.

The only chance the 49ers have of winning the Super Bowl is with Alex Smith. There I said it.

http://www.boston.co...fDQI/story.html
Oh brother. He has been successfull at everything he has ever done. He's the brightest young coach in football. CK has been just fine. This thread screams agenda or bitter beer.
pure hyperbole. And I'm not bitter. I just want the best QB in the field. The only one with the agenda is Harbaugh sticking with "his guy."

Yes, and Harbaugh's agenda is to WIN. Both this year and in the future. He's making the choice he thinks is best. I'll give the best young coach in the game the benefit of the doubt.
And I am saying he is wrong. He is making a mistake. They sure didnt do a lot of winnign yesterday in a critical matchup (for seeding purposes) against a crap team. best young coach? lol, ok. he's 50 yrs old and there are a number of much younger coaches with less experience that this title could go towards.
Time will tell if he is wrong. I don't think they were winning a Super Bowl with Smith at QB while they actually have a better chance with Kaep. He is a huge reason they beat the Bears.
I agree time will tell, i agree Kaep is better long term. I am not sure if Kaep's inexperience will bite them this year. Even if it does i agree that I am not sure Alex Smith was going to win a champion ship anywayIt was a bold move, imo, and not without risk but I certainly don't have a problem with it.
I have a bit of a problem with it because I believe yesterday was a game we'd have won with Alex Smith. A game manager as efficient as Alex is is built to win those types of games. It seems as if Fisher had enough tape on Kaep to successfully gameplan for him, which is scary if this is already happening after 2 starts. If you think playing the Rams is tough, how tough do you think playoff games will be?

The future is Kaepernick but I'm not the only one questioning his mistake to go with Kaepernick this year in the middle of a very competitive season (a legitimate SB contender with Smith). At first glance, it seems as though the masses agreed with Harbossy (only because the Niners won their first two games with Kaep starting), but now things are starting to get hairy.

Yesterday's loss itself probably 85% on Kaep, 14% on Harbaugh and 1% on Akers. (kickers are gonna miss 50 yarders sometimes - it happens). But the bigger issue is the decision to stick with Kaep. And that is all on Harbozo.

This is only the beginning of the learning curve for Kaepernick. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Harbuagh is a smart coach but this is a massive fail if he sticks with his 2nd best QB down the stretch. In my opinion, it is equivalent of throwing away a potential super bowl season to bring in the guy you drafted. It's sheer stubbornness and his ego is getting to big. He could learn a few things from his brother. The better coach of the two.

The only chance the 49ers have of winning the Super Bowl is with Alex Smith. There I said it.

http://www.boston.co...fDQI/story.html
Oh brother. He has been successfull at everything he has ever done. He's the brightest young coach in football. CK has been just fine. This thread screams agenda or bitter beer.
pure hyperbole. And I'm not bitter. I just want the best QB in the field. The only one with the agenda is Harbaugh sticking with "his guy."

Yes, and Harbaugh's agenda is to WIN. Both this year and in the future. He's making the choice he thinks is best. I'll give the best young coach in the game the benefit of the doubt.
And I am saying he is wrong. He is making a mistake. They sure didnt do a lot of winnign yesterday in a critical matchup (for seeding purposes) against a crap team. best young coach? lol, ok. he's 50 yrs old and there are a number of much younger coaches with less experience that this title could go towards.
Time will tell if he is wrong. I don't think they were winning a Super Bowl with Smith at QB while they actually have a better chance with Kaep. He is a huge reason they beat the Bears.
I agree time will tell, i agree Kaep is better long term. I am not sure if Kaep's inexperience will bite them this year. Even if it does i agree that I am not sure Alex Smith was going to win a champion ship anywayIt was a bold move, imo, and not without risk but I certainly don't have a problem with it.
I have a bit of a problem with it because I believe yesterday was a game we'd have won with Alex Smith. A game manager as efficient as Alex is is built to win those types of games. It seems as if Fisher had enough tape on Kaep to successfully gameplan for him, which is scary if this is already happening after 2 starts. If you think playing the Rams is tough, how tough do you think playoff games will be?
Even if you are right Kaep still could win them a game that smith wold not because his skills.I see both sides, it is a risk for sure. I'll even add i think Harbaugh does have a massive ego and that may have played in.

But he also knows his stuff, and it is clear from when they drafted him he saw something in kaep.

As a non-niners fan i am just interested in seeing how this plays out.

'butcher boy said:
I have a bit of a problem with it because I believe yesterday was a game we'd have won with Alex Smith. A game manager as efficient as Alex is is built to win those types of games.
Is he really? The 49'ers have had 3 games this season that they did not total 100 yards rushing if you exclude QB rushing totals. Their record in those 3 games. 0-3, with Smith serving as the starter in in two of those games. They are 8-0-1 in the 9 games they got 100 yards rushing from non-QB runs.It's a lot harder to be effective game manager when you can't run and yesterday the 49'ers could not run other than CK of courseI'd argue it was exactly the kind of game Alex Smith is not built to win.

'butcher boy said:
I have a bit of a problem with it because I believe yesterday was a game we'd have won with Alex Smith. A game manager as efficient as Alex is is built to win those types of games.
Is he really? The 49'ers have had 3 games this season that they did not total 100 yards rushing if you exclude QB rushing totals. Their record in those 3 games. 0-3, with Smith serving as the starter in in two of those games. They are 8-0-1 in the 9 games they got 100 yards rushing from non-QB runs.It's a lot harder to be effective game manager when you can't run and yesterday the 49'ers could not run other than CK of courseI'd argue it was exactly the kind of game Alex Smith is not built to win.
The way I look at it is that excluding overtime, the 49ers defense allowed only 3 points. I'd like to think Alex would've been able to win given those circumstances.

'butcher boy said:
call alex smith anything you want, but from what I have seen for the last year and half, Smith is a heck of a lot better than any mediocre "game manager"

Last edited by a moderator:
If Akers made that kick, this thread wouldn't exist.
that's not the point. If you actually watched yesterday's game (in full) and came away from it thinking, "this kid gives SF a better chance to win than Alex Smith," then you have rocks in your head. He made so many rookie mistakes it's hard to count them all on one hand. He gift wrapped 8 points to the Rams and was directly responsible for another 2 (albeit a questionable call). Sure he stuffed that rushing stat sheet and made a dynamic play at the end of the game that could have saved the day, but it came up short. The play in itself is pretty much how the entire day went. He couldn't really move the offense. The Rams schemed him but the Niners didnt really let him do anything in the air because they didnt trust him. All of his passes were little slanty things and his biggest gainers came after the catch ( and that's great by they...not taking anything away from yac or how it translates to CK). The offense looked inept. And all of this would be fine and dandy if the Niners weren't trying to win football games NOW, but they are! They have a very small window NOW. Alex Smith is not perfect, but he is what they have and he has been pretty darn good lately. Jim Harbaugh is also not perfect. Owning up to this mistake now is the best thing he can do for himself. Next week in Miami is no walk in the park. Those guys can play some defense. Then they head to New England and Seattle for two very difficult road games against the Pats and Seahawks. A 4 game losing streak heading into the playoffs with Colin Kaepernick as your QB??? Sounds like a season ender to me.But hey, he sure looked good in that Bears game in November when Chicago was playing without their starting QB.

'butcher boy said:
call alex smith anything you want, but from what I have seen for the last year and half, Smith is a heck of a lot better than any mediocre "game manager"
Come on man. COME ON. Alex Smith is average to terrible at everything outside of game managing. He is immoble, and when he throws the ball 10 or more yards his game falls off the page. This is the exact reason why JH made the change. A game manager can make you competative but you WILL NOT WIN. You need every dimension to win in the NFL.

It's kind of hard to take thehornet seriously when he openly admitted to fishing this line of thought in the Kaepernick thread.

Not seeing this argument. Kap didn't lose that game for them. The option is a ridiculous play call given the time on clock and situation....unless you're a college team that runs it 10-15 times a game anyway.

I feel bad for Alex Smith, and can understand the argument that he should have gottne hi job back, but ego and stubborness had absolutely nothing to do with it....or the choice to stay with Kap after that game yesterday.

This situation is hilarious. Kaep is mediocre and Alex Smith is horrid.

Harbaugh is a football savant, dude is great at his job.

It's kind of hard to take thehornet seriously when he openly admitted to fishing this line of thought in the Kaepernick thread.
i am not fishing about any of this. i think i was being openly critical of kaepernick in that other thread and for that I admitted playing devils adovocate a little bit. i stand by everything I said in this thread and about this situation. like i also said in the kaep thread, time will tell.

'butcher boy said:
Come on man. COME ON. Alex Smith is average to terrible at everything outside of game managing. He is immoble, and when he throws the ball 10 or more yards his game falls off the page. This is the exact reason why JH made the change. A game manager can make you competative but you WILL NOT WIN. You need every dimension to win in the NFL.
how can you call him terrible after last season and this one? I can't beleive I am actually sticking up for Smith. It is comical really.

i am not fishing about any of this. i think i was being openly critical of kaepernick in that other thread and for that I admitted playing devils adovocate a little bit. i stand by everything I said in this thread and about this situation. like i also said in the kaep thread, time will tell.
Fair enough. As a Niners fan I trust Harbaugh made this decision because he feels it gives the team the best chance to win. Let's hope it works out. :thumbup:

'butcher boy said:
how can you call him terrible after last season and this one? I can't beleive I am actually sticking up for Smith. It is comical really.
Yeah, calling him terrible and horrid is nothing but hyperbole. If Alex Smith is horrid, then what is Brady Quinn, or John Skelton? He is an average QB on a team that can win with defense, which can at times make him look better than he really is.

'butcher boy said:
Yeah, calling him terrible and horrid is nothing but hyperbole. If Alex Smith is horrid, then what is Brady Quinn, or John Skelton? He is an average QB on a team that can win with defense, which can at times make him look better than he really is.
Completion percentage is 70. Best in the league. Definitely need to credit the defense for this. 4th highest passer rating in the NFL. Again, thanks defense.

'butcher boy said:
Completion percentage is 70. Best in the league. Definitely need to credit the defense for this. 4th highest passer rating in the NFL. Again, thanks defense.
He's average because he never really puts up anything higher than 230 yards, 1-2 TDs. There's no real upside outside of a few outlier games. He makes safe, short passes that look good in a QB Rating and work when the 49er defense is playing well.

'butcher boy said:
He's average because he never really puts up anything higher than 230 yards, 1-2 TDs. There's no real upside outside of a few outlier games. He makes safe, short passes that look good in a QB Rating and work when the 49er defense is playing well.
I just dont get this. is it about stats or winning?

If he was that stubborn he would still be starting Alex Smith.
Yeah, I'm not really following the logic here. Harbaugh is so stubborn he's going to take a qb most folks considered crap, turn him into one of the highest rated qb's, then bench him and do the same with the next guy. All because...he's stubborn? If he were really stubborn wouldn't he continue to roll with Alex and prove the original naysayers wrong? So he's stubborn not for making the switch to Kaepernick but for refusing to switch back? So confused. :confused:

'thehornet said:
The future is Kaepernick but I'm not the only one questioning his mistake to go with Kaepernick this year in the middle of a very competitive season (a legitimate SB contender with Smith). At first glance, it seems as though the masses agreed with Harbossy (only because the Niners won their first two games with Kaep starting), but now things are starting to get hairy. Yesterday's loss itself probably 85% on Kaep, 14% on Harbaugh and 1% on Akers. (kickers are gonna miss 50 yarders sometimes - it happens). But the bigger issue is the decision to stick with Kaep. And that is all on Harbozo. This is only the beginning of the learning curve for Kaepernick. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Harbuagh is a smart coach but this is a massive fail if he sticks with his 2nd best QB down the stretch. In my opinion, it is equivalent of throwing away a potential super bowl season to bring in the guy you drafted. It's sheer stubbornness and his ego is getting to big. He could learn a few things from his brother. The better coach of the two.The only chance the 49ers have of winning the Super Bowl is with Alex Smith. There I said it. http://www.boston.com/2012/12/02/entry-cont/6xgIveijKx61NYGE2JfDQI/story.html
I don't think people give the Rams enough credit... With Smith at the helm they went down 0-14 against the Rams at home, what makes you think Smith would have had anymore success against them on the road?

Here's what I hear when "thehornet" posts:

Derp derp derp derp. :hophead: :hophead:

Derp derp :hophead: Derp derp derp :hophead: :hophead:

Dude, Kaepernick is not perfect. Alex Smith is not perfect. Kaepernick can make plays that Alex can not, and that just might be enough to get us over the top. He also has a good enough head on his shoulders and the work ethic that he should be able to game-manage when needed as well. Given the number of safe slant passes he threw yesterday, I'd say he actually was playing a game manager's game, up until the pitch of course. But that's on the coaches as much as it's on him, and none of them will ever make that mistake again.

Personally I'm psyched as a fan. In the back of my mind I always had this nagging feeling that we just didn't have what it takes to win it all, mostly because I felt we had to pitch a perfect game every time with Alex at QB. And Alex is so smart and efficient, he does pitch a perfect game quite often, as evidenced by his QB rating. But there's no wiggle room with Alex. Kapernicus I think can give you everything Alex can, plus he can be the playmaker you need to pull out a game when not everything goes right.

'butcher boy said:
drummer's alias found.

Guy works like a dog. He gives his assistants tons of rope, but expects them to work as hard. The players love and respect the guy. He plays no favorites, just does whatever he can to win.

He made a tough, ballsy call. Not sure if it'll be right or wrong this year...seems about 50/50 to me, but I'm pretty confident it'll be the better choice in the future. I'm sure he fully understood that there would be a few bumps in the road to the playoffs, but that they would have a better shot in the playoffs.

Alex Smith has had plenty of bad games too. It's not as if he benched Tom Brady here.

Here's what I hear when "thehornet" posts:Derp derp derp derp. :hophead: :hophead: Derp derp :hophead: Derp derp derp :hophead: :hophead: Dude, Kaepernick is not perfect. Alex Smith is not perfect. Kaepernick can make plays that Alex can not, and that just might be enough to get us over the top. He also has a good enough head on his shoulders and the work ethic that he should be able to game-manage when needed as well. Given the number of safe slant passes he threw yesterday, I'd say he actually was playing a game manager's game, up until the pitch of course. But that's on the coaches as much as it's on him, and none of them will ever make that mistake again.Personally I'm psyched as a fan. In the back of my mind I always had this nagging feeling that we just didn't have what it takes to win it all, mostly because I felt we had to pitch a perfect game every time with Alex at QB. And Alex is so smart and efficient, he does pitch a perfect game quite often, as evidenced by his QB rating. But there's no wiggle room with Alex. Kapernicus I think can give you everything Alex can, plus he can be the playmaker you need to pull out a game when not everything goes right.
:banned: Go ahead and do your little hop head thingy and take jabs at me. It still doesn't change the facts. And Alex does things that CK doesn't. Like give away points constantly.

'Dizzy said:
Alex Smith will prove them all wrong next year as he propels the Arizona Cardinals to a 3rd place finish in the NFC West!
This post is actually the most insightful in this pi$$ing contest of a thread. Smith is an NFL-caliber starting QB who would be the perfect fit for the Cards -- and for Smith. Moving to a division rival with decent weapons at WR and a D that can put him in favorable field position seems like the perfect antidote for the poisonous situation Smith seems to be in as a 49ers. The club simply has not wanted him around, which was made even clearer in the offseason as they courted Manning.

If Akers made that kick, this thread wouldn't exist.
that's not the point. If you actually watched yesterday's game (in full) and came away from it thinking, "this kid gives SF a better chance to win than Alex Smith," then you have rocks in your head. He made so many rookie mistakes it's hard to count them all on one hand. He gift wrapped 8 points to the Rams and was directly responsible for another 2 (albeit a questionable call). Sure he stuffed that rushing stat sheet and made a dynamic play at the end of the game that could have saved the day, but it came up short. The play in itself is pretty much how the entire day went. He couldn't really move the offense. The Rams schemed him but the Niners didnt really let him do anything in the air because they didnt trust him. All of his passes were little slanty things and his biggest gainers came after the catch ( and that's great by they...not taking anything away from yac or how it translates to CK). The offense looked inept. And all of this would be fine and dandy if the Niners weren't trying to win football games NOW, but they are! They have a very small window NOW. Alex Smith is not perfect, but he is what they have and he has been pretty darn good lately. Jim Harbaugh is also not perfect. Owning up to this mistake now is the best thing he can do for himself. Next week in Miami is no walk in the park. Those guys can play some defense. Then they head to New England and Seattle for two very difficult road games against the Pats and Seahawks. A 4 game losing streak heading into the playoffs with Colin Kaepernick as your QB??? Sounds like a season ender to me.But hey, he sure looked good in that Bears game in November when Chicago was playing without their starting QB.
First of all, I would never watch a Niners game if I have other options so obviously I didn't watch the game in full. Second of all, people that think Alex Smith is gonna take the Niners to the Superbowl have rocks in their heads. Let's face it, SF defense might be good but not good enough to just have a game manager as your QB. Harbaugh knows QBs and he knows Alex Smith isn't the answer. Like you stated, the window is small and he believes he has a better shot of winning with Kaepernick. Is that his ego? Is his ego getting in the way? Who knows but Alex Smith is not a good QB. Keep thinking SF would go farther with him...

'Dizzy said:
Alex Smith will prove them all wrong next year as he propels the Arizona Cardinals to a 3rd place finish in the NFC West!
This post is actually the most insightful in this pi$$ing contest of a thread. Smith is an NFL-caliber starting QB who would be the perfect fit for the Cards -- and for Smith. Moving to a division rival with decent weapons at WR and a D that can put him in favorable field position seems like the perfect antidote for the poisonous situation Smith seems to be in as a 49ers. The club simply has not wanted him around, which was made even clearer in the offseason as they courted Manning.
Holy ####! Harbaugh really is an evil genius! Not only do we get the Kapper, but we doom a potentially ascending division rival into wasting the next 5 years with a QB who is just good enough to keep them from obtaining a real QB in the draft!? Brilliant!!!!! :excited: :excited: :excited:

Krapernickle looked really lost and really over his head in the huddle and when he was ready for the snap. Once he got the ball, even though he couldn't do much with it, he didn't look as lost. But during thinking time between plays he seemed to be succumbing to the crowd noise and the fury of the D. Maybe even the stakes of the game were weighing on him. Inexperience showed through tonight in a walloping defeat that featured almost no offense by he Niners. I wouldn't call the Rams game sub-par but it wasn't very good and tonight he was a non factor (for his own team, he was very helpful to us). Not sure how confident he can be going ino a divisional game with a bye on the line, knowing that he hasn't beaten an NFCW team yet.

Krapernickle looked really lost and really over his head in the huddle and when he was ready for the snap. Once he got the ball, even though he couldn't do much with it, he didn't look as lost. But during thinking time between plays he seemed to be succumbing to the crowd noise and the fury of the D. Maybe even the stakes of the game were weighing on him. Inexperience showed through tonight in a walloping defeat that featured almost no offense by he Niners. I wouldn't call the Rams game sub-par but it wasn't very good and tonight he was a non factor (for his own team, he was very helpful to us). Not sure how confident he can be going ino a divisional game with a bye on the line, knowing that he hasn't beaten an NFCW team yet.
:lmao: Im sure he's terrified of the Cardinals

Is he really? The 49'ers have had 3 games this season that they did not total 100 yards rushing if you exclude QB rushing totals. Their record in those 3 games. 0-3, with Smith serving as the starter in in two of those games. They are 8-0-1 in the 9 games they got 100 yards rushing from non-QB runs.

It's a lot harder to be effective game manager when you can't run and yesterday the 49'ers could not run other than CK of course

I'd argue it was exactly the kind of game Alex Smith is not built to win.
drummer's alias found.
butcher is :missing:

I can stand Harbraugh's ego much more than the onslaught of bad Peyton Manning commercials anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread