What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Insane Nolan Ryan Fact (1 Viewer)

Bogart

Footballguy
Just listened to an interview with Ryan and the interviewer brought up some odd facts about his career, like hitting one of his two homers off of Don Sutton, his three inning save in the WS, etc.

The last note had to do with his last game pitched: Sept. 22, 1993. The game is nothing special. Ryan didn't make it out of the first. What is amazing is that Ryan threw his elbow out during that inning, on the next-to-last pitch that he threw. He threw one last pitch, with his elbow blown out, and hit 98 MPH on the Seattle radar gun.

Just crazy insane.

How old was Ryan in 1993? He was a member of the 1969 Mets so he had to probably be at least 45.

5714 is a number that will never be touched.

Randy Johnson pitching at 45 is still 839 K's behind. Johnson only has 714 K's over the last 5 years.

Taking away guys at the end of their career (Moyer, Smoltz, Pedro, Glavine), the next current pitcher on the all time list is Javier Vazquez. As 32 years of age, he has 2253 K's, a mere 3461 away from matching Ryan.

The pressing question is:

Where will he rate on "bentley's list of the 100 greatest Texas Rangers....OF ALL TIME (no fat chicks or Washington Senators allowed)" list?

Saw him pitch about 30 times growing up in Huntington Beach. Nolan and another player came to the Vons grocery store near our house one Saturday morning for a promo event. Nolan signed a ball for me in 1970 with a personal note on it. Two years later I used the ball and trashed it. :goodposting:

Randy Johnson pitching at 45 is still 839 K's behind. Johnson only has 714 K's over the last 5 years.

Taking away guys at the end of their career (Moyer, Smoltz, Pedro, Glavine), the next current pitcher on the all time list is Javier Vazquez. As 32 years of age, he has 2253 K's, a mere 3461 away from matching Ryan.
Randy started pretty late if I remember right. Nobody will even be throwing 200 innings in a season soon. Sad

Randy started pretty late if I remember right. Nobody will even be throwing 200 innings in a season soon. Sad

Johnson was wilder than a march hare when he was in the Expos system. Even after getting traded to Seattle for Mark Langston, he struggled with command until he figure it out at age 28.

Current player with most strikeouts: fellow Texas Ranger Max Scherzer with 3367. With his career average of 253 Ks per season, Scherzer would only have to pitch another 9.25 years to catch Nolan.

Users who are viewing this thread