What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Little Melvin can't be exposed to peanuts (1 Viewer)

My son started kindergarten this year and, on the first day, returned with a note (handed out to everyone) telliing us there was a kid in his class with a potentially life-threatening peanut allergy. We'll deal with it, but what makes this very difficult for others is that we have to look at ingredients for ALL foods we may send with our son to school. For example, some foods may be made with peanut oil. Others may have trace amounts of peanuts or peanut products in them... we have to read packaging for everything we send in his lunch bag to make sure there isn't any mention of peanuts in any of the ingredients. You'd be surprised how much kids' foods have something with peanuts in them. It isn't just a matter of making sure we don't send him to school with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

What do these parents do when the kids go out into the real world? Do they make sure every person the kid contacts hasn't had peanuts in the last 30 minutes?

My son started kindergarten this year and, on the first day, returned with a note (handed out to everyone) telliing us there was a kid in his class with a potentially life-threatening peanut allergy. We'll deal with it, but what makes this very difficult for others is that we have to look at ingredients for ALL foods we may send with our son to school. For example, some foods may be made with peanut oil. Others may have trace amounts of peanuts or peanut products in them... we have to read packaging for everything we send in his lunch bag to make sure there isn't any mention of peanuts in any of the ingredients. You'd be surprised how much kids' foods have something with peanuts in them. It isn't just a matter of making sure we don't send him to school with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
No I remember the story... I meant in addition to peanuts, what if he has an allergy to children's flesh.

Turns out Melvin is a biter. He has biten three kids thus far. Fortunately not mine.

The school sent a note home saying they and Melvin's parents are working on the issue and to please bear with them.
Why won't I be surprised to learn that Melvin has been coddled his whole life and expects that the world will let him do whatever whenever? All while making everyone else bend to his needs?I was very allergic to all citric acid as a kid. Sucked living in Florida and not being able to eat oranges and the like. And of course anything with tomato in it. Our solution when I went to school? I had to watch for what I shouldn't eat and I took my own lunches everyday to insure there would be no problems with the school menu. Thankfully I outgrew it but it seems to me maybe we are not forcing enough responsibility for self on some folks.
How very conservative of you. :thumbup:

Turns out Melvin is a biter.  He has biten three kids thus far.  Fortunately not mine.

The school sent a note home saying they and Melvin's parents are working on the issue and to please bear with them.
No problem - just have the other parents paint their kids with peanut butter before they come to school. Problem fixed. :thumbup:

Two Sundays past my daughter asks to go to church with her Grandma (I do not attend). Apparently classroom talk about baby Jesus has her curious, so off she went. When she came home she asked me why God was so interested in collecting money, doesn't he have enough?

Two Sundays past my daughter asks to go to church with her Grandma (I do not attend). Apparently classroom talk about baby Jesus has her curious, so off she went. When she came home she asked me why God was so interested in collecting money, doesn't he have enough?
Smart kid

And, we didn't immunize our kids
All credibility lost with this statement.
So you're saying I don't have the answer after all? :cry:
I did immunize my kids, but some indicators point to the mercury they used in the shots as a cause of the rise in Autism, etc.
No credible study has linked the presence of thimerosal in MMR vaccines with autism. at least 15 studies, done in Denmark, Britain and the US, have found that there was no link. Plus, thimerosal is no longer used in the MMR vaccines. In Denmark, they stopped using it 10 years ago, and found no decline in autism. It stopped being used in the US 3 years ago.
I know there is no credible study.....still, it never made sense to me to include a heavy metal in a childhood vaccine.There still are some flu vaccines around that use thimerosal.

Two Sundays past my daughter asks to go to church with her Grandma (I do not attend).  Apparently classroom talk about baby Jesus has her curious, so off she went.  When she came home she asked me why God was so interested in collecting money, doesn't he have enough?
Smart kid
My favorite one is the collection box for the Souls in Purgatory. They're in Purgatory for X-sake. What do they need money for? Do they have vending machines in Purgatory?

Two Sundays past my daughter asks to go to church with her Grandma (I do not attend).  Apparently classroom talk about baby Jesus has her curious, so off she went.  When she came home she asked me why God was so interested in collecting money, doesn't he have enough?
Smart kid
My favorite one is the collection box for the Souls in Purgatory. They're in Purgatory for X-sake. What do they need money for? Do they have vending machines in Purgatory?
The vending machines in purgatory contain nothing but Diet 7-Up and cheese crackers.

Turns out Melvin is a biter. He has biten three kids thus far. Fortunately not mine.

Why won't I be surprised to learn that Melvin has been coddled his whole life and expects that the world will let him do whatever whenever? All while making everyone else bend to his needs?I was very allergic to all citric acid as a kid. Sucked living in Florida and not being able to eat oranges and the like. And of course anything with tomato in it. Our solution when I went to school? I had to watch for what I shouldn't eat and I took my own lunches everyday to insure there would be no problems with the school menu. Thankfully I outgrew it but it seems to me maybe we are not forcing enough responsibility for self on some folks.
Very very :goodposting:

Smart kid
I just reread this. They actually still take collections for the souls in Purgatory? And people actually still donate for stuff like this?No offense to the religious types here, but anyone actually giving someone else money for something like that is a complete nitwit.

Just wanted to re-plug my own original, and extremely hilarious, joke on the subject:

Q: Did you hear that they finally sequenced the gene that causes the fatal peanut allergy?

A: Yeah, they're naming it c-jif!

Last edited by a moderator:
It was right then that I am snapped out of my revery when the Director goes on to say that it would be good if we did not allow our kids to even eat peanut butter within a half an hour before going to school.

I solicit your thoughts.
Good advice. Peanuts are seriously atherogenic. (Kritchevsky D, Tepper SA, Klurfeld DM. Lectin may contribute to the atherogenicity of peanut oil. Lipids. 1998 Aug;33(8):821-3.) In fact, when researchers want to study atherosclerosis in lab animals, they feed them peanut oil to stimulate the disease.Costco carries almond butter, which is much better.

Just wanted to re-plug my own original, and extremely hilarious, joke on the subject:

Q: Did you hear that they finally sequenced the gene that causes the fatal peanut allergy?

A: Yeah, they're naming it c-jif!
Come on. Laugh, bi***ez

So I wonder. Presume every parent with kids at that preschool has fully complied with the request. Their kids never bring PB&J's to school, they don't eat snickers bars or M&M's with peanuts less than a half an hour before going to the school, and they have eliminated the ofending skin care products from their homes so that no residual taint can get to Melvin.Being busy these parents now turn to other life concerns and Melvin is not foresmost on their minds. Let's say one of them takes their kid to the grocery on the way to preschool. While there they absent-mindedly allow their child to sample a snack bar containing peanuts. They then drive to the school, drop their child off, Melvin prepares to attack when he encounters peanut breath, he reacts, does not get his epi pen fast enough and suffers horribly or worse.What are the legal consequences?

So I wonder. Presume every parent with kids at that preschool has fully complied with the request. Their kids never bring PB&J's to school, they don't eat snickers bars or M&M's with peanuts less than a half an hour before going to the school, and they have eliminated the ofending skin care products from their homes so that no residual taint can get to Melvin.

Being busy these parents now turn to other life concerns and Melvin is not foresmost on their minds. Let's say one of them takes their kid to the grocery on the way to preschool. While there they absent-mindedly allow their child to sample a snack bar containing peanuts. They then drive to the school, drop their child off, Melvin prepares to attack when he encounters peanut breath, he reacts, does not get his epi pen fast enough and suffers horribly or worse.

What are the legal consequences?
the kid has a will now?? :mellow:

Saw this with one of the kids at my sons mothers morning out program. Once another kid bites Mel back, his biting will cease.

Turns out Melvin is a biter.  He has biten three kids thus far.  Fortunately not mine.

Saw this with one of the kids at my sons mothers morning out program. Once another kid bites Mel back, his biting will cease.
Especially if the kid had just eaten peanut butter - cease for a loooong time. Nevermind. That's not even funny - it sounded funny in my head :unsure:

Especially if the kid had just eaten peanut butter - cease for a loooong time. Nevermind. That's not even funny - it sounded funny in my head :unsure:
I laughed.Please see my above joke and return the favor. tia

I find this all very fascinating for some reason. Here's a forum for peanut allergy people:

http://www.peanutallergy.com/bbpage.htm

I can honestly say I see both sides of this to some extent, once the kid is enrolled I have no problem complying with the request, but at the same time I don't think I would put my own kid in that preschool if he had the allergy. Too much risk and I would feel like I was imposing on others.

These people are very passionate as you would expect as it is their kids, I feel badly for them, but at the same time while perusing the site they seem VERY sue-happy. I think they would not hesitate to sue you, the school, Mr.Peanut, and everyone else if something happened, at least from some of the posts I read.

In case anyone is interested, I was perusing that forum some more, three interesting things:1) you think the trolls around here are funny, they got people named MrPnt and Nutlover just harrassing the #$%& out of them. Pretty funny stuff.2) apparently people are suing schools, supermarkers, and Wal-Mart under the Americans with Disability Act over peanut issues3) Halloween appears to be a bad day for these people :X

What are the legal ramifications if, for example, Ditkaless Wonders doesn't notice that something his child has contains some obsqure peanut-based product and little Melvin touches it, or is in the same room as it, and gets very sick? Can Melvin's parents sue DW or the school or both and win?

Most preschools in our area have a blanket ban on bringing peanut products as a snack. The peanut allergy is one of the more dangerous food allergies. It amazes me that some of the people in this thread actually have a problem with taking some basic precautions that could save the life of a child. Are you really that big a loser in RL, or do you folks just get a kick out of being a troll on an anonymous internet forum?

Most preschools in our area have a blanket ban on bringing peanut products as a snack. The peanut allergy is one of the more dangerous food allergies.

It amazes me that some of the people in this thread actually have a problem with taking some basic precautions that could save the life of a child. Are you really that big a loser in RL, or do you folks just get a kick out of being a troll on an anonymous internet forum?
I think most people can live with the basic precautions. It's the scanning every item your child uses for trace amounts of peanut products, or telling your kid he can't have his favorite Peanut Butter Captain Crunch before school because he might breathe on a kid with peanut allergies.Where is the line between his rights and yours?

Most preschools in our area have a blanket ban on bringing peanut products as a snack.  The peanut allergy is one of the more dangerous food allergies. 

It amazes me that some of the people in this thread actually have a problem with taking some basic precautions that could save the life of a child.  Are you really that big a loser in RL, or do you folks just get a kick out of being a troll on an anonymous internet forum?
I think most people can live with the basic precautions. It's the scanning every item your child uses for trace amounts of peanut products, or telling your kid he can't have his favorite Peanut Butter Captain Crunch before school because he might breathe on a kid with peanut allergies.Where is the line between his rights and yours?
Let see, which is more important, your kid's preferred choice of breakfast cereal and the other kid's life ... gee that's a tough one.

Most preschools in our area have a blanket ban on bringing peanut products as a snack.  The peanut allergy is one of the more dangerous food allergies. 

It amazes me that some of the people in this thread actually have a problem with taking some basic precautions that could save the life of a child.  Are you really that big a loser in RL, or do you folks just get a kick out of being a troll on an anonymous internet forum?
Ultimately I have no problem restricting what my child brings to school to eat. If doing so will save another kid's life it's a reasonable accomodation. It is however an accomodation (By reasonable accomodation I do not mean to imply that the ADA extends to individuals, I mean a reasonable social accomodation.) Now when you ask me to go beyond that because a kid is unusually, even hypersensitive, and ask me to avoid many common and legal products, when you ask me to become an expert in your kid's illness and the necessary accomodation, that to me is going too far. Still, I am probably willing to explore this route(and in fact thus far I have) as I am a parent too, and I can understand their hopes, dreams, and fears. Having asked for both reasonable and extraordinary accomodation from complete strangers, and having thus far recieved it; I do feel these parents owe the reciprocity of immediately training their kid not to bite others. If they can't accomodate the very reasonable safety concerns of others after having tried to impose extraordinary requirements on others they are, frankly, not deserving of cooperation. Social obligation is not a one way street though they think it is.

BTW Melvin's bites are not the typical nipping instances that occur at that age in a small percentage of children. Each of Melvin's victims had the skin broken and required medical attention. IMO the school is exposing itself to substantial liability in doing nothing to protect the children from a known hazard other than saying please be patient.

Let see, which is more important, your kid's preferred choice of breakfast cereal and the other kid's life ... gee that's a tough one.
You're right, that is an easy answer. It's not tough at all. My kid would get his Peanut Butter Captain Crunch.You choose to put your kid in that public arena, you assume the inherent risks.

Most preschools in our area have a blanket ban on bringing peanut products as a snack. The peanut allergy is one of the more dangerous food allergies.

It amazes me that some of the people in this thread actually have a problem with taking some basic precautions that could save the life of a child. Are you really that big a loser in RL, or do you folks just get a kick out of being a troll on an anonymous internet forum?
It is actually.

I had a lady come up to me in a public place, a freakin' arcade full of kids, when she noticed that my son had a bag of peanut M&Ms. She said "make sure your boy stays away from my boy, he's allergic to peanuts." I said "keep your kid away from my kid, my boy is not allergic." :loco:
:goodposting: I wish parents would unite and simply tell their school that kids with extreme peanut allergies should be stay at home school children

When I started this thread I thought the coerced purchasing of "Christian approved books" whatever the hell that means, would be what gave this thread any legs at all.

It's gotta be some sort of envornmental cause due to our horrible diets or pollution or something. But it sure seems to strike the most coddled upper-middle class kids more often for some reason.
Could be on to something, I have yet to hear/read anything about this in NYC but middle American you hear about it all the time. I wonder if this has more to do with insane/overprotective mothers.

When I started this thread I thought the coerced purchasing of "Christian approved books" whatever the hell that means, would be what gave this thread any legs at all.
That's actually easy, tell em to kiss your ###

It's gotta be some sort of envornmental cause due to our horrible diets or pollution or something.  But it sure seems to strike the most coddled upper-middle class kids more often for some reason.
Could be on to something, I have yet to hear/read anything about this in NYC but middle American you hear about it all the time. I wonder if this has more to do with insane/overprotective mothers.
I went to that peanut allergy board mentioned on the last page and posted a link, so maybe some of those mothers will show up and share their perspective.

I had a lady come up to me in a public place, a freakin' arcade full of kids, when she noticed that my son had a bag of peanut M&Ms. She said "make sure your boy stays away from my boy, he's allergic to peanuts." I said "keep your kid away from my kid, my boy is not allergic."  :loco:
:goodposting: I wish parents would unite and simply tell their school that kids with extreme peanut allergies should be stay at home school children
From this thread it sounds like the condition is so common that we could start concentrating these kids in peanut-free schools.

It's gotta be some sort of envornmental cause due to our horrible diets or pollution or something.  But it sure seems to strike the most coddled upper-middle class kids more often for some reason.
I went to that peanut board mentioned on the last page and posted a link, so maybe some of those mothers will show up and share their perspective.
LOL that would be a trainwreck.

I went to that peanut allergy board mentioned on the last page and posted a link, so maybe some of those mothers will show up and share their perspective.
I hope they do and provide you with a realistic approach to preventing your child from being bitten by the walking liability known as Melvin. Schlzm

It's gotta be some sort of envornmental cause due to our horrible diets or pollution or something. But it sure seems to strike the most coddled upper-middle class kids more often for some reason.
Your thread had generated two replies..... :D

:popcorn: Just decided to have a look at what might be going in the allergy thread, not quite the response I was expecting to see.Schlzm

Your thread had generated two replies..... :D
Early consensus seems to be that I am some sort of agitating troll.I guess acknowledging that I understand their concerns as parents and accomodating both their reasonable and their extraordinary needs though I find it somewhat inconvenient is agitating.

I suppose I too would have little tolerance for flippant banter interposed in a discussion when the topic involved the health and safety of my child. On that issue I have little patience myself.

Could someone give a link here so I don't have to hunt through five pages for it?

I want to see if they laugh at my little c-jif joke, but at the same time I don't want to really freak anyone out. Although if I'd gotten just a little of the attention I crave from this thread, I wouldn't even be tempted. So it's on all of you.

Link, go into Main and look for DW as the thread owner. To which I must give a thumbs on his very amicable attempt to provide a better reasoning to the apperant unwelcoming members of the allergy board.

Schlzm

Could someone give a link here so I don't have to hunt through five pages for it?

I want to see if they laugh at my little c-jif joke, but at the same time I don't want to really freak anyone out. Although if I'd gotten just a little of the attention I crave from this thread, I wouldn't even be tempted. So it's on all of you.
Shiney, your joke was some funny ####!How's that?

Users who are viewing this thread