What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Media Criticism (1 Viewer)

So Jussie Smollett today testified that one of the reasons he didn't want to turn his phone over to the Chicago PD was that Don Lemon had texted him that that the Chicago PD didn't believe his story.  If true, that's another CNN anchor using knowledge he gained as a reporter to help someone being investigated.  Just like Cuomo.  Does CNN fire him as well?  Do they not teach journalism ethics at CNN? 
No. Not unless Lemon, after informing Smollett, then said, “here’s what I think you should do”, and proceeded to advise him not to turn over evidence. 
My guess is that Lemon told Smolett that in order to persuade him to come back on air. 

I know. Example after example has been linked here. It is what it is 🤷‍♂️
They’re anecdotes. Most of them aren’t what they appear to be. The ones that are aren’t conclusive. 
I acknowledge that most journalists in the mainstream media are liberal. I acknowledge that this fact can subtly affect their reporting at times- subconsciously. But it’s never deliberate. As it’s been forever, the biggest motivating factor by far is ratings. 

I’m not splitting hairs. You’re wrong. CNN’s opinion shows are one-sided, but their news reporting is fair, reliable, and not run by partisan anything. 
No, it's on all the time in my household's background. Even the six o'clock show is framed in such a partisan way that it's laughable. It's not even worth spit in the wind. 

They’re anecdotes. Most of them aren’t what they appear to be. The ones that are aren’t conclusive. 
I acknowledge that most journalists in the mainstream media are liberal. I acknowledge that this fact can subtly affect their reporting at times- subconsciously. But it’s never deliberate. As it’s been forever, the biggest motivating factor by far is ratings. 
When journalists put pen to paper, and allow their own personal bias into their articles, then it's deliberate. Not sure how it's not deliberate. Nobody is forcing their own biases into their own writings. You can call it subconscious if you want. I'll call them activists.

I guess we will never agree on this. 
Probably not. I thought you would defend the NYT, WaPo, etc., but not CNN. That's beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned. And I don't even care that they don't like the right-wing in its current iteration. Neither do I. But CNN's coverage is downright hostile to any right-leaning folks in the country. It's not a case of alternative facts or narrative framing. It's outright partisan hackery. 

CNN was pretty good as recently as 6-7 years ago.  It's a complete joke now.

I can only assume that people who defend CNN still think that MTV shows music videos and that Netflix sends out dvds in the mail.  They're living in an era that doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for some time.

For anyone interested, Joe Rogan had a fantastic new interview with Matt Taibbi where the discuss the media and why it is where it is today.  Nothing earth shattering new but great to hear Taibbi’s insight about it.  

For anyone interested, Joe Rogan had a fantastic new interview with Matt Taibbi where the discuss the media and why it is where it is today.  Nothing earth shattering new but great to hear Taibbi’s insight about it.  

I'm not going to watch this until I can get a judgement form the Source CopsTM to see if it's legit or not.

I'm not going to watch this until I can get a judgement form the Source CopsTM to see if it's legit or not.
I am a so called source cop, and 100% for the long form podcast format to attempt to discuss things.   Too bad I can't find too many right leaning ones that are tolerable to listen to.  (hint, not because of the right leaning views) 

It was a great discussion.  Hate, Inc was also a fantastic read and somberly accurate.

I am a so called source cop, and 100% for the long form podcast format to attempt to discuss things.   Too bad I can't find too many right leaning ones that are tolerable to listen to.  (hint, not because of the right leaning views) 

What about the other Source CopsTM @sho nuff and @squistion?  Is this a unanimous decision between all 3 of you?  ;)

I will give that a listen, I like Taibbi.  Don't think I've listened to an episode of Rogan since he went to just Spotify.  

Taibbi is one of my favorites.  Similar to Sam Harris I could listen to him talk for hours. 
His old fans are so upset. His Twitter feed is often him incredulous about his former followers' hatred of his newer political assessments. 

I think both he and Greenwald are good follows on Twitter. Taibbi I haven't subscribed to, but get abbreviated versions of his newsletter. I don't consider myself easily impressed, but it's very sharp writing and very astute. Of course, I thought this when he wrote for Rolling Stone, too, though he infuriated me. 

His old fans are so upset. His Twitter feed is often him incredulous about his former followers' hatred of his newer political assessments. 

I think both he and Greenwald are good follows on Twitter. Taibbi I haven't subscribed to, but get abbreviated versions of his newsletter. I don't consider myself easily impressed, but it's very sharp writing and very astute. Of course, I thought this when he wrote for Rolling Stone, too, though he infuriated me. 
You talking Harrs here? 

It’s exactly the same.  So if you liked it before you will now, if not you won’t.   I enjoy it.  
I'm sure, it's mostly I don't like listening to podcasts on Spotify for some reason.  I have a pod app I use, and I'm old and stubborn 

Speaking of social media (not sure if this the right thread) - Facebook adds a new category called Lifting Black Voixes right at the top?   I’m assuming they put this on everyone’s.  This is as pertinent to me as WWE videos or gardening.  Don’t see a way to take it off either.  Why do can’t monies have to source their agenda on everything?

Speaking of social media (not sure if this the right thread) - Facebook adds a new category called Lifting Black Voixes right at the top?   I’m assuming they put this on everyone’s.  This is as pertinent to me as WWE videos or gardening.  Don’t see a way to take it off either.  Why do can’t monies have to source their agenda on everything?
I just looked at mine (damn you for making me open FB! ;)  ).   I don't see that anywhere.  

I just looked at mine (damn you for making me open FB! ;)  ).   I don't see that anywhere.  
I’m looking on the mobile app , it’s under More in the bottom right corner.   I basically just use it for organizing a class reunion.  Probably some sort or profiling thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m looking on the mobile app , it’s under More in the bottom right corner.   I basically just use it for organizing a class reunion.  Probably some sort or profiling thing.
Gotcha.  I see it now.  

ETA:  I see stuff like that a bit now - I notice it on streaming sites.   There will a "black voices"/"black stories" category or LGBTQ category, etc..  

Speaking of social media (not sure if this the right thread) - Facebook adds a new category called Lifting

Black

Voixes right at the top?   I’m assuming they put this on everyone’s.  This is as pertinent to me as WWE videos or gardening.  Don’t see a way to take it off either.  Why do can’t monies have to source their agenda on everything?

What about "Lifting White Voices"?  When can they add that?

I'm absolutely against this type of crap.  If you want to end racism, then that means we end racism WHEREVER it's coming from.  You don't fight racism with even more racism.  We don't need to be "lifting" black, white, gay, straight, trans ANYTHING.  

By "lifting" one group over another, that's the very definition of racism.  It's so absurd I have NO IDEA how the idiots in these companies make these decisions without seeing the irony and hypocrisy of it all.

What about "Lifting White Voices"?  When can they add that?

I'm absolutely against this type of crap.  If you want to end racism, then that means we end racism WHEREVER it's coming from.  You don't fight racism with even more racism.  We don't need to be "lifting" black, white, gay, straight, trans ANYTHING.  

By "lifting" one group over another, that's the very definition of racism.  It's so absurd I have NO IDEA how the idiots in these companies make these decisions without seeing the irony and hypocrisy of it all.
I guess I should take it as a good sign that people like us are living in a time when we can be outraged about this?    Just like my back and forth with SC in the other thread - I find people's lines interesting when it comes to this.  

Speaking of pods, I started on the Rogan/Taibbi episode this am, and damn - is it me or are there a ton more ads in this thing?     I thought he used to do more ads at the start, then the interview was undisturbed - or am I remembering incorrectly? 

I guess I should take it as a good sign that people like us are living in a time when we can be outraged about this?    Just like my back and forth with SC in the other thread - I find people's lines interesting when it comes to this.  
By forcing things you don’t want?  Whatever happened to give the people what they want?  This is really the essence of Big Media controlling the narrative.

If I don’t want it, am I racist?  

So, to clarify, when black people have a problem we're supposed to take this seriously.  But when white people have a problem it's to be gaffed off and joked about?  Doesn't really count? 

How about you reverse the colors of your statement and see how that plays?

By forcing things you don’t want?  Whatever happened to give the people what they want?  This is really the essence of Big Media controlling the narrative.

If I don’t want it, am I racist?  
Can we not go there? 

I don't have a problem with a company choosing to do that (I would hope it's what they want to do, not they feel they "have" to do it").   Sure, there should also be more customization of what you see too.   I figured most of that stuff could be hidden or unfollowed.  

So, to clarify, when black people have a problem we're supposed to take this seriously.  But when white people have a problem it's to be gaffed off and joked about?  Doesn't really count? 

How about you reverse the colors of your statement and see how that plays?
Depends what the "problem" is, I guess.    When your problem is a black Disney princess or having "black voices" as a category on your streaming service?   Yeah, I might joke about that a little.  

Depends what the "problem" is, I guess.    When your problem is a black Disney princess or having "black voices" as a category on your streaming service?   Yeah, I might joke about that a little.  

That's the whole point.  :doh:

You see that as okay but at the same time cry "RACISM BOOGEYMAN" around every corner.  How can you NOT see that as ADDING to the racism problem.

If you're going to "uplift" black voices and carve out a special category, why aren't you doing it for white voices?

You guys want to push YOUR racism, but when someone complains then suddenly it's a joke?

Ending RACISM means that we end it for ALL, not just for some.

That's the whole point.  :doh:

You see that as okay but at the same time cry "RACISM BOOGEYMAN" around every corner.  How can you NOT see that as ADDING to the racism problem.

If you're going to "uplift" black voices and carve out a special category, why aren't you doing it for white voices?

You guys want to push YOUR racism, but when someone complains then suddenly it's a joke?

Ending RACISM means that we end it for ALL, not just for some.
I do what now?    

We probably don't have to carve out a special "white voices" because that is what 90% of the other selections are in my streaming service.  I don't need to search for movies by white guys b/c I could probably randomly pick a movie and it's directed by a white guy.   So no, I don't get upset when I click on my Criterion feed and there are categories for female directors, LGBTQ topics, or black voices or wonder where the button for straight white males is.  

I do what now?    

We probably don't have to carve out a special "white voices" because that is what 90% of the other selections are in my streaming service.  I don't need to search for movies by white guys b/c I could probably randomly pick a movie and it's directed by a white guy.   So no, I don't get upset when I click on my Criterion feed and there are categories for female directors, LGBTQ topics, or black voices or wonder where the button for straight white males is.  

The point is, you shouldn't be "carving" out anything related to race.  It doesn't matter what the percentages are.  If the goal is to end racism, then you don't do that by ADDING to the problem. 

Meaning - and we'll use film as an example - when a black filmmaker makes a movie, you just add it to the entire list of movies of your library.  If someone wants to watch it, they'll find it.

And since not ALL movies are "white voices", then we certainly need a category for them to help filter - just like we do for "black voices".

See how hypocritical your stance is?

The point is, you shouldn't be "carving" out anything related to race.  It doesn't matter what the percentages are.  If the goal is to end racism, then you don't do that by ADDING to the problem. 

Meaning - and we'll use film as an example - when a black filmmaker makes a movie, you just add it to the entire list of movies of your library.  If someone wants to watch it, they'll find it.

And since not ALL movies are "white voices", then we certainly need a category for them to help filter - just like we do for "black voices".

See how hypocritical your stance is?
It's been used as an example, and I guess I also see these topics a bit like a pendulum.   Yes, I think the goal is to eventually reach that middle ground where aren't carving things out for race.     I don't think we are there, and I would guess from your posts you think we are way past that point?      Like I posted in the other thread my take is it's still tough for a POC or woman to get the reigns of a big movie.   It's still hard for a different movies to make money or get a wide audience.   I don't think the landscape is to that point yet where we are on equal footing as far as chances and reach.   

What is boils down to is I guess I subscribe to a definition of racism like Kendi suggests (and am of the opinion that we are still in the process of correcting and achieving that middle ground), and you and SC and to others are more in the camp of never, never one race over the other. 

I also don't think much of it because I like it when my movie streaming feed presents female directors and other categories in easy package like that, so I am biased that way.  

It's been used as an example, and I guess I also see these topics a bit like a pendulum.   Yes, I think the goal is to eventually reach that middle ground where aren't carving things out for race.     I don't think we are there, and I would guess from your posts you think we are way past that point?      Like I posted in the other thread my take is it's still tough for a POC or woman to get the reigns of a big movie.   It's still hard for a different movies to make money or get a wide audience.   I don't think the landscape is to that point yet where we are on equal footing as far as chances and reach.   

What is boils down to is I guess I subscribe to a definition of racism like Kendi suggests (and am of the opinion that we are still in the process of correcting and achieving that middle ground), and you and SC and to others are more in the camp of never, never one race over the other. 

I also don't think much of it because I like it when my movie streaming feed presents female directors and other categories in easy package like that, so I am biased that way.  

I think I found your problem.  Stop listening to the race hustlers and it might open your eyes.

I think I found your problem.  Stop listening to the race hustlers and it might open your eyes.
Makes more sense to me than your approaches, because then nothing would get fixed, so I will stick with that or something similar.  I don't agree with all his thoughts, but that idea seemed to put a voice to what I was thinking.  

Users who are viewing this thread