What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA has ruined bowl season (1 Viewer)

Frostillicus said:
wdcrob said:
Frostillicus said:
Homer J Simpson said:
igbomb said:
wdcrob said:
WDCRob's Perfect Bowl System:

Step one: go to a four team playoff (three bowl games)

Step two: increase the playoffs to eight teams (seven bowl games)

Step three: take the other 47 bowls out behind the shed and shoot them
Great minds think alike
WOOHOO LESS FOOTBALL TO WATCH!Great plan, guys. :rolleyes:
Cranky old men are the worst. No idea why anyone would actually hate the bowl games especially because, and here's the thing, you can pick and choose which ones you watch.
If the NCAA wants to add a week of regular season games to let all 100 teams play another game, go for it. But 50 bowls kills the value/purpose of all of them.
Explain how
The traditional bowls (even the smaller ones, like the Peach Bowl) virtually always had ranked teams in them. It was a reward for a good season and if you got into one there was a sense of accomplishment. It was a mark of good teams.

Now? It's just another game.

1940 -- 5

1950 -- 8

1970 -- 8

1980 -- 15

2000 -- 25

2013 -- 35

And in 19 of the 35 games neither team was ranked. From a marketing perspective the "bowl" brand has been completely destroyed already. Might as well just kill them off.
I don't think destroyed means what you think it means. The ratings are through the roof for all games now.

And in 19 of the 35 games neither team was ranked. From a marketing perspective the "bowl" brand has been completely destroyed already. Might as well just kill them off.
Discuss TV ratings and revenue for the Sugar Bowl in 1984 and 2014, then tell how the "bowl" brand has been destroyed.

:own3d:

Frostillicus said:
wdcrob said:
Frostillicus said:
Homer J Simpson said:
igbomb said:
wdcrob said:

Great minds think alike
Cranky old men are the worst. No idea why anyone would actually hate the bowl games especially because, and here's the thing, you can pick and choose which ones you watch.
If the NCAA wants to add a week of regular season games to let all 100 teams play another game, go for it. But 50 bowls kills the value/purpose of all of them.
Explain how
The traditional bowls (even the smaller ones, like the Peach Bowl) virtually always had ranked teams in them. It was a reward for a good season and if you got into one there was a sense of accomplishment. It was a mark of good teams.

1940 -- 5

1950 -- 8

1970 -- 8

1980 -- 15

2000 -- 25

2013 -- 35

I don't think destroyed means what you think it means. The ratings are through the roof for all games now.
I wouldn't go this far.

MattFancy said:
Homer J Simpson said:
MattFancy said:
What I think is funny is how the winning is the "[insert Random Bowl] Champion". Then you see confetti flying and they get a trophy.Seriously? And we complain about all the kids that play Little League getting a trophy. We do it in college football too.
WTF kind of comparison is that? The team actually has to win to be the _____ Bowl Champs.
True, but are you really a winner when you finish 7-6 and were the 5th or 6th best team in your conference?
Sure. Why would this possibly bother you? It gives some 21 year olds something to be proud of.

It's not about you, gramps.
Don't think a 27y/o has been called gramps before.

They can still be proud of winning the game. Or getting all kinds of free stuff for getting to go to the game. I just think it's funny when they have confetti flying all of the place and they're being called the champs. There's only one FBS Champ and they will be crowned tonight.

I don't care about ratings -- in fact the idea that the usual suspects has taken something cool and traditional with (some) cultural meaning and turned it into just another way to grind out an extra nickel is a mark against it IMO.

Frostillicus said:
wdcrob said:
Frostillicus said:
Homer J Simpson said:
igbomb said:
wdcrob said:

Great minds think alike
Explain how

1940 -- 5

1950 -- 8

1970 -- 8

1980 -- 15

2000 -- 25

2013 -- 35

I wouldn't go this far.
I meant for where they used to be. Comparatively. That doesn't mean the Liberty Bowl is beating out the nfl playoffs but for its time slot and what espn would have programmed there, it's a huge score.

I don't care about ratings -- in fact the idea that the usual suspects has taken something cool and traditional with (some) cultural meaning and turned it into just another way to grind out an extra nickel is a mark against it IMO.
Been watching all my life. It's a million times better than it used to be. I don't know what kind of childhood recollection you all are hanging onto.

Sarnoff said:
:lmao:

Bowls are stupid. Always were. Dumb idea. Time they move to a real championship.

"Oh boy, we won the GalleryFurniture.Com bowl! Look at all this glory and prestige!!" :rolleyes: Great, the 4th and 7th best teams in some division face off and you're supposed to be excited about it? "We went 7-6, and we won a bowl game!!!" Whoop-de-do. Half the teams make a bowl game. It has no greater meaning than it's the last game of a season. It's like Giants fans getting excited they beat Washington in the last game of the season after both teams were out of playoff contention. Ever hear a football fan say "We were 7-9, but, we beat our division rival in the last game of the year! So we had a successful season!!!!" Deserves to be punched in the neck.
Dean: Yes, thank you Anton. Now folks, a seven and five football season doesn't come cheap, and this is a fund-raiser.Homer: [in terror] Ah!

Dean: Seal the exits.

The doors close and lock, and the Dean walks through the room with a sack. The alumni "donate" watches, jewelry, and other valuables. When Homer balks, "Professor Rocko" and "Chancellor Knuckles" relieve him of his excess money, until there is enough money to fund the school's glee club.

Yeah it sucks that more people get to watch more football and more kids get to play in more games. Even worse, people are making money from it! If there's a winner in this situation, I can't imagine who it'd be.

BassNBrew said:
Homer J Simpson said:
Sarnoff said:

Bowls are stupid. Always were. Dumb idea. Time they move to a real championship.

"Oh boy, we won the GalleryFurniture.Com bowl! Look at all this glory and prestige!!" :rolleyes: Great, the 4th and 7th best teams in some division face off and you're supposed to be excited about it? "We went 7-6, and we won a bowl game!!!" Whoop-de-do. Half the teams make a bowl game. It has no greater meaning than it's the last game of a season. It's like Giants fans getting excited they beat Washington in the last game of the season after both teams were out of playoff contention. Ever hear a football fan say "We were 7-9, but, we beat our division rival in the last game of the year! So we had a successful season!!!!" Deserves to be punched in the neck.
WAAAAAAAAH THERE'S TOO MUCH FOOTBALL!!! :cry:

People griping about too many bowl games is possibly the stupidest thing ever.
Right up there with complaining about NFL football on Thursday Nite.

Remember the good ole days when we would get 8 bowl games on New Year's with so many overlapping you couldn't watch them all.
the good old days were 4-5 games on New Years day, all with National title implications and great games all week from Christmas onwards....
I recall the Rose Bowl always running late and spilling over into the Orange and Sugar Bowls which were on at the same time. The Cotton Bowl always over lapped with the whatever the were calling the 5th best bowl at the time. This would be like NFL putting all the games from this last weekend into a 5 hour window.

Yeah it sucks that more people get to watch more football and more kids get to play in more games. Even worse, people are making money from it! If there's a winner in this situation, I can't imagine who it'd be.
Well the kids probably deserve more for their role in the profit machine than a free trip to Shreveport and an outdated Apple product with a logo on it. But otherwise, yeah, it's pretty much a win-win-win scenario.

Been watching all my life. It's a million times better than it used to be. I don't know what kind of childhood recollection you all are hanging onto.
If I'm being honest, I have no idea if this is true or not. I don't know what ESPN would have on their TV at 10:30 pm on a Tuesday in place of a crappy Michigan team vs Kansas State.

Well the kids probably deserve more for their role in the profit machine than a free trip to Shreveport and an outdated Apple product with a logo on it. But otherwise, yeah, it's pretty much a win-win-win scenario.
Lets not make this a thread about paying players. We're busy mopping the floor with people that hate America.

Lets not make this a thread about paying players. We're busy mopping the floor with people that hate America.
Good point. Withdrawn.

Apologies also to the good people of Shreveport.

Why have anything but one bowl? Just have the 1 and 2 play each other. They're clearly the only ones that matter.
but play some bowl games first so we get more meaningful football and an additional opportunity/test to improve the selection of 1 and 2....

If I'm being honest, I have no idea if this is true or not. I don't know what ESPN would have on their TV at 10:30 pm on a Tuesday in place of a crappy Michigan team vs Kansas State.
Hey genius, if you don't want to watch Michigan play K State, I'm sure there's a Big Bang Theory marathon playing for you somewhere.

Hey genius, if you don't want to watch Michigan play K State, I'm sure there's a Big Bang Theory marathon playing for you somewhere.
wut?

Good point. Withdrawn.

Apologies also to the good people of Shreveport.
lol

Why have anything but one bowl? Just have the 1 and 2 play each other. They're clearly the only ones that matter.
but play some bowl games first so we get more meaningful football and an additional opportunity/test to improve the selection of 1 and 2....
NO!!! That kind of football doesn't matter! #1 plays #2 and that's it! NOBODY cares about the 100+ other teams that play college football. Not their fans, not their alumni, not their coaches or players or their friends and families. People only care about crowning a champion, and that clearly can only happen in one game. All the others are pointless.

NO!!! That kind of football doesn't matter! #1 plays #2 and that's it! NOBODY cares about the 100+ other teams that play college football. Not their fans, not their alumni, not their coaches or players or their friends and families. People only care about crowning a champion, and that clearly can only happen in one game. All the others are pointless.
why play the season?

I'm always confused when watching these smaller bowls and seeing the stadiums not even half filled. Are they making money on those bowls? Some of those bowls seem like they're played in front of as many people that show up to a darts tournament.

I'm not even sure why the NCAA even gives out a National Championship trophy.

Congratulations, you are, at best, the 33rd best football team in the country!

:shrug:

Be sure to TIVO "Ow, My Balls!" while you're watching the 2-13 East Tennessee State Pepsis lose to the 4-12 Richmond University Marlboros in the Brawndo Bowl, bro.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always confused when watching these smaller bowls and seeing the stadiums not even half filled. Are they making money on those bowls? Some of those bowls seem like they're played in front of as many people that show up to a darts tournament.
Flipped over to the end of the Ball State game and it looked like nothing but empty seats in what was a very close game.

Flipped over to the end of the Ball State game and it looked like nothing but empty seats in what was a very close game.
The smaller bowls are more for the TV audience. But you can say the same thing about March Madness. Most of those games have barely anyone in the stands either, unless it is a team like Duke or Kansas playing close to their campus.

Be sure to TIVO "Ow, My Balls!" while you're watching the 2-13 East Tennessee State Pepsis lose to the 4-12 Richmond University Marlboros in the Brawndo Bowl, bro.
Those teams would not be in a bowl. Try to keep up.

The smaller bowls are more for the TV audience. But you can say the same thing about March Madness. Most of those games have barely anyone in the stands either, unless it is a team like Duke or Kansas playing close to their campus.
Ummmm, no.

Says who? In 1980 you wouldn't have seen two 6-6 teams playing.

But if more football is better and there are enough suckers people who will watch no matter how bad the teams are provided you slap the word "bowl" onto the game why stop at 35?

But if more football is better and there are enough suckers people who will watch no matter how bad the teams are provided you slap the word "bowl" onto the game why stop at 35?
Is this like an Oprah giveaway?

"You get a bowl!"

"You get a bowl!"

"Everyone gets a bowl!"

:lmao: I'm such a sucker! Think of all the hours that have been stolen from me while I just thought I was being entertained by watching a sport I love. And to top it off, it was free! Those bastards aren't gonna get away with this!

Meh. They Bowls be alright. But then when people bring March Madness into the discussion.....you realize they are Buddy Landel to College Basketballs Ric Flair.

Just get the damnded playoff system running and let these smaller jabroni colleges feel good about beating someone in the Dinty Moore Beef Stew Bowl.

Is this like an Oprah giveaway?

"You get a bowl!"

"You get a bowl!"

"Everyone gets a bowl!"
What's the downside? Maybe you'd have a minor gripe if this was April or May and there was NBA playoffs and Stanley Cup playoffs and the NFL draft and baseball and golf majors going on and the bowls were somehow taking away some small fraction of the available sports media coverage from those far better things. But the holidays are otherwise a sports dead zone. Why not add something to the calendar? If nothing else, the internet shtick-fest from bowls like the Belk Bowl and the the Beef Bowl make it worthwhile.

:lmao: I'm such a sucker! Think of all the hours that have been stolen from me while I just thought I was being entertained by watching a sport I love. And to top it off, it was free! Those bastards aren't gonna get away with this!
I can't believe I fell for more football.

The contracts between the bowls and the conferences supplying the schools require a certain number of tickets to be purchased, so between that and the money paid by ESPN to air them, a "profit" is basically assured (quotes since these are non-profits and the guys in charge of even the crap bowls are taking expenses-paid trips to scout schools).

ESPN airs virtually all of the bowl games on their own networks, and they actually own several games themselves...because these games do tremendous ratings especially during this time of year when nothing else is being aired by the networks. The lower tier bowl games that some are bashing in this thread can outdraw NBA playoff games. The A&M-Duke game on NYE did an insane number.

Ummmm, no.
"Barely anyone" is obviously hyperbole but the pod system in the NCAA tournament was implemented entirely to address the issue of poor attendance in a lot of opening round sites.

Ummmm, no.
"Barely anyone" is obviously hyperbole but the pod system in the NCAA tournament was implemented entirely to address the issue of poor attendance in a lot of opening round sites.
:shrug: I've been to several and they were always packed. Each ticket would cover two games, so there'd be some empties during Game A that would be filled in Game B and vice versa. I guess it was different back in the day, but it's a great environment now.

BassNBrew said:
Homer J Simpson said:
Sarnoff said:

WAAAAAAAAH THERE'S TOO MUCH FOOTBALL!!! :cry:

People griping about too many bowl games is possibly the stupidest thing ever.
Right up there with complaining about NFL football on Thursday Nite.

Remember the good ole days when we would get 8 bowl games on New Year's with so many overlapping you couldn't watch them all.
the good old days were 4-5 games on New Years day, all with National title implications and great games all week from Christmas onwards....
Go find the year and match ups where there were 4 games that mattered for who would win the national championship let alone 5 in "the good old days".

I assume you mean before the BCS.

At best there were possibly 2 games that would matter for crowning a national champion and that was usually because the teams people considered the 2 best teams were not playing each other due to conference bowl alignments.

According to this:

24 out of 32 bowl games had more viewers in 2010, than in 2013

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the increased popularity of bowl games.
Can't really tell much from a comparison of one year to one other year.

It tells a pretty basic story that TV viewership was down, pretty much across the board.

Maybe 2010 was the highest ratings ever.
maybe it was...still shows that viewership is declining, not getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread