What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official 2022 Senate Elections Thread***** (1 Viewer)

McConnell knows that they aren't flipping the Senate. A few months ago this seemed like a lock. The frenzy of red states to try to create the most restrictive and punitive abortion laws, coupled with the latest Trump embarrassment, has really screwed them. They may not flip the house either.

He blames poor "candidate quality." Seems like code for "Trumplicans are killing us."

"I think there’s probably a greater likelihood the House flips than the Senate. Senate races are just different," the GOP leader said. "Candidate quality has a lot to do with the outcome."
He's right. Laxalt probably has the toughest state for a Republican of all the contested ones. However, he's polling better than Oz, Walker, Masters, even Vance in OH, all of whom should have somewhat easier to much easier states to run in.

They may not flip the house either.
Hard to overstate how whacked it is that the House is even in doubt given Biden's polling. Failing to reclaim the Senate would be kind of explainable, but still a failure. Losing the House would be a massive repudiation of Trumpism and a legit, if ultimately ignored, come to Jesus moment for the GOP.

Republicans will probably flip the House but receive fewer votes nationwide as a result of gerrymandering.

Reminder: some consider this a feature, not a bug. I'm not one of those.

Oh, please. You guys only complain when you perceive the GOP as gerrymandering. When your side does it - and it's quite a bit - we get no complaints from you guys.

Face it. You're not upset the GOP is supposedly gerrymandering. You're upset that they may be playing your game better than you.

Oh, please. You guys only complain when you perceive the GOP as gerrymandering. When your side does it - and it's quite a bit - we get no complaints from you guys.

Face it. You're not upset the GOP is supposedly gerrymandering. You're upset that they may be playing your game better than you.
Untrue. There have been numerous threads here about gerrymandering and many of us think it is awful. Yet when we propose a solution, such as computer generated districts, all we hear is you and your friends complain about who will write the code and it is impossible to get a completely non partisan solution.

Republicans will probably flip the House but receive fewer votes nationwide as a result of gerrymandering.

You're doing that thing again where you complain about "you guys" and "your side" instead of addressing the actual points raised.

Do you have examples of posts in this forum where liberals approved of liberal gerrymandering?

Are you denying that actual GOP representation in the House is far greater than the total percentage of votes received?

You're doing that thing again where you complain about "you guys" and "your side" instead of addressing the actual points raised.

Do you have examples of posts in this forum where liberals approved of liberal gerrymandering?

Are you denying that actual GOP representation in the House is far greater than the total percentage of votes received?
Prepare for #crickets

Prepare for #crickets
Or accusations of trolling since you asked for an opinion or to ask someone to back up an assertion they made.

Untrue. There have been numerous threads here about gerrymandering and many of us think it is awful. Yet when we propose a solution, such as computer generated districts, all we hear is you and your friends complain about who will write the code and it is impossible to get a completely non partisan solution.
I am all for computer generated districts.

Except it's widely known that the only people more anti-Republican than the FBI, DOJ, CDC, Department of Education,medical practitioners, mass and social media, and higher education are software engineers.

Cool. Only if I get to write the algorithm, though. You'll be fine with that?

Except it's widely known that the only people more anti-Republican than the FBI, DOJ, CDC, Department of Education,medical practitioners, mass and social media, and higher education are software engineers.

You been living in a cave the last decade? You don't see what's going on with Social Media and Big Tech? Or is this where you suddenly play stupid and pretend not to see what's going on?

I can't believe you even posted that. :doh:

They are an improvement but there are far better solutions.

Like what? Not being a jerk. I really don't know.

I lean left and am all for getting rid of all gerrymandering, if possible.

Computer generated districts makes too much sense.

I don't want to hijack this particular thread so you should read the gerrymandering thread for yourself. There was some great stuff tossed around.

Of course, there was also the guy whose solution was "There's nothing stopping Democrats from never gerrymandering their own states." :lmao:

I for one am just happy that Trump will gift the Senate to the dems again.

We really really fear Trump running in '24 though. Like totally fear him because his tent is soooo wide...

You are a partisan of the highest nature, not a computer programmer nor an expert on elections.
So no, not you.

You are a partisan of the highest nature, not a computer programmer nor an expert on elections.
So no, not you.
Actually, I am a computer programmer. It's what I do for a living. :lol:

And you very well proved my point - who is going to program that algorithm? Why, of course, PARTISANS!!!

And you very well proved my point - who is going to program that algorithm? Why, of course, PARTISANS!!!
Do you speak to people in the real world? Believe it or not, there are people that either 1) don't follow politics at all, 2) follow it and are fed up with all of it, or 3) follow it but are in fact independent in their stances

Do you speak to people in the real world? Believe it or not, there are people that either 1) don't follow politics at all, 2) follow it and are fed up with all of it, or 3) follow it but are in fact independent in their stances

Not in Big Tech where these things originate. :shrug:
You act as though we have a system that is working. Just about anything is better than what we have now

Not in Big Tech where these things originate. :shrug:
You act as though we have a system that is working. Just about anything is better than what we have now
This may be oversimplification but I would think a computer algorithm could be setup to make districts as rectangular and square as possible and defaults that wouldn't look as crazy as they do now. There would always be some debate but if we are ever to get rid of gerrymandering what else could be done?

So no, not you.
Actually, I am a computer programmer. It's what I do for a living. :lol:

What algorithmic approach would you use?

I for one am just happy that Trump will gift the Senate to the dems again.

We really really fear Trump running in '24 though. Like totally fear him because his tent is soooo wide...
I fear Trump running again, not because he stands a particularly good chance of winning (though you never know) but because his presence damages the integrity of a once great political party, and because he poisons our political system with his lies.

We really really fear Trump running in '24 though. Like totally fear him because his tent is soooo wide..
One of the most out of touch takes I've seen on this board the last few weeks is that Dems are afraid of Trump. It's quite the opposite, really.
Depends on what you mean by that. If you mean on odds of winning in '24, Trump may well be the D's best chance. As far as being non-suicidal the morning after though, Trump winning would send a good portion of our population to the butterfly nets and padded rooms.

I don't want to hijack this particular thread so you should read the gerrymandering thread for yourself. There was some great stuff tossed around.

Of course, there was also the guy whose solution was "There's nothing stopping Democrats from never gerrymandering their own states." :lmao:
I should also point out that there was much constructive input from board conservatives in the gerrymandering thread. And I appreciated their input.

It's a serious problem.

Depends on what you mean by that. If you mean on odds of winning in '24, Trump may well be the D's best chance. As far as being non-suicidal the morning after though, Trump winning would send a good portion of our population to the butterfly nets and padded rooms.
That's fair. I was speaking in the context of winning the election. I haven't properly considered what it would mean if he actually won.

Mitch McConnell, when talking about the possibility of losing the Senate, mentioned "the quality of the candidates" as a primary reason. Ouch.

Mitch McConnell, when talking about the possibility of losing the Senate, mentioned "the quality of the candidates" as a primary reason. Ouch.
Mitchell trying the reverse jinx maneuver here. Don’t allow it, Dems. Continue to act and think as if you are going to worked in the mid-terms!

Link

“Senate Republicans’ primary super PAC is canceling nearly $10 million in Arizona and Alaska ad reservations, raising questions about the party’s commitment to Blake Masters, its Senate nominee in the Copper State”

Looking pretty solid for Mark Kelly in AZ

Link

“Senate Republicans’ primary super PAC is canceling nearly $10 million in Arizona and Alaska ad reservations, raising questions about the party’s commitment to Blake Masters, its Senate nominee in the Copper State”

Blake Masters’ abortion position on his website changes hourly.

Link

That's a difficult and important hold.

That race was over the moment Oz was declared the winner over McCormick. The fact that Fetterman is so far left, is physically impaired now to being unable to actively campaign, and still is up by such a wide margin says a lot.
The Republican nominee for Governor (in a state where Gettysburg is located) once dressed up as a Confederate soldier.

I have wondered if this isn't a long-term plan from the Republicans: have Trump's endorsements lose to such terribly weak candidates that they finally dump him and then get behind DeSantis full-throttle for 2024.

That race was over the moment Oz was declared the winner over McCormick. The fact that Fetterman is so far left, is physically impaired now to being unable to actively campaign, and still is up by such a wide margin says a lot.
The Republican nominee for Governor (in a state where Gettysburg is located) once dressed up as a Confederate soldier.

I have wondered if this isn't a long-term plan from the Republicans: have Trump's endorsements lose to such terribly weak candidates that they finally dump him and then get behind DeSantis full-throttle for 2024.
I don't know it's so much a plan as it is just reality. Trump's endorsement carries some weight, and in some states like GA where the Republican Party is a little stronger and the candidates are more well known, people like Brian Kemp have survived it. But in PA where the Republicans are rarely the favorite, Oz getting the endorsement gave him just enough to get by McCormick. It's obvious McConnell and those type establishment folks would have preferred to run McCormick. Oz was never going to win a statewide general in PA and I think folks like McConnell have no choice now but to watch them lose. It's not necessarily by choice but they really have no other option because the primary voters chose Oz.

Plenty of race left but Fetterman should trounce poser Oz. He would likely have beaten the hedgefund guy as well.

People eat up this common man stuff and Fetterman is also impressive when I had seen him in interviews in 2020 election cycle.

Plenty of race left but Fetterman should trounce poser Oz. He would likely have beaten the hedgefund guy as well.

People eat up this common man stuff and Fetterman is also impressive when I had seen him in interviews in 2020 election cycle.
I don't think Fetterman is exactly the common man either. I don't know if McCormick would have beaten him or not, but Pat Toomey won statewide so I'm not sure why McCormick wouldn't have at least been in the ballgame. Oz is about to be run ruled though.

I don't think Fetterman is exactly the common man either
I think more so than the TV guy and the hedgefund guy.

It doesn’t really matter in any case this is how he is perceived and has been able to win elections with this shtick in that state. I don’t know anything about Penn politics but saw this guy as a great candidate months ago because of that.

When people try to invent this on the fly you get stuff like Oz shopping for crudite videos :lol:

It doesn’t really matter in any case this is how he is perceived and has been able to win elections with this shtick in that state. I don’t know anything about Penn politics but saw this guy as a great candidate months ago because of that.

When people try to invent this on the fly you get stuff like Oz shopping for crudite videos :lol:
Well I’d say it’s a pretty easy win when Oz is your opponent. I’m more in that camp than Fetterman is some great candidate. Fetterman can barely stand and speak right now, but is running away with it. That’s on Oz, but honestly is really more on the Republican primary electorate. Oz is who he is, he never was going to win. Pennsylvania as a whole hasn’t tended to elect far left or right candidates for Senate. I don’t view Casey that way and didn’t view Toomey that way. Both of these guys are out there.

Well I’d say it’s a pretty easy win when Oz is your opponent. I’m more in that camp than Fetterman is some great candidate. Fetterman can barely stand and speak right now, but is running away with it. That’s on Oz, but honestly is really more on the Republican primary electorate. Oz is who he is, he never was going to win. Pennsylvania as a whole hasn’t tended to elect far left or right candidates for Senate. I don’t view Casey that way and didn’t view Toomey that way. Both of these guys are out there.
Agreed on an odd choice for their candidate and I would like to thank Donald for picking a fellow hacky TV show guy.

I have never heard the McCormick guy speak who Oz beat but running one of the largest hedgfunds in the world I’m guessing isn’t playing well in rural Penn. I’m betting that guy would have got beat as well.

Users who are viewing this thread