What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL New Orleans Saints Thread *** (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure how to check this but I read he was the no. 2 PFF ranked RT in 2015 and no. 3 in 2016, is there a way to fact check this?
Not a fact check, just an impression:

Strief doesn't make mental errors. He has an assignment (either a specific player to block or a zone to clear) and he executes on a high percentage of those assignments (throwing run assignments and pass assignments all into one hat here).

The fact that he gets physically beat by good pass rushers 5 or 6 times in some games is very memorable to fans, though. Watch a tackle on instant replay give up two sacks and three forced throw-aways, and the armchair fan thinks that tackle had a terrible game. Might still grade out at, say, 92% of assignments executed, though.

Six straight wins.   The defense has done a complete 180 with an outstanding draft.  These guys are young and hungry.  I can't wait for Trey Hendrickson to start getting more snaps. He going to be a beast.

Marshon Lattimore should win rookie of the year.  I saw some crazy stat that before today's game he's only allowed 56 yds from opposing WR.  AMAZING!!

The Saints are having one of the most productive draft classes in the league ranking second overall for rookie snap counts.

They are one of the best teams in the league and the rookies are contributing so they are providing quality snaps.

This is looking like a really good draft for the Saints this year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-the-nfl-leaders-in-rookie-snap-counts

Ranking the NFL leaders in rookie snap counts

BY STEVE PALAZZOLO • NOV 16, 2017

Snap Counts: 2,213

Snap Leader: OT Ryan Ramczyk, 604

First-round cornerback Marshon Lattimore leads all corners with a 93.9 grade and he already looks the part of an elite player. Ramczyk has the top grade among rookie offensive tackles at 80.1 overall while playing both left and right tackle and he’s allowed only 12 pressures on 327 attempts. Running back Alvin Kamara 84.0 overall grade ranks fourth in the league, averaging 6.5 yards per carry and ranking second among rookie running backs with 373 receiving yards. Second-round safety Marcus Williams has the fourth-most snaps among rookie safeties and he’s been productive with a 79.9 grade.

I think Ramczyk has been a big factor in what's going on, the man clears out holes for breakaway off tackle runs. He did it on the left and now he's doing it on the right. Awesome bookend with Armstead.

Hendrickson has been great on the line.

I don't even have to mention that guy playing CB. Non-Saints fans could never understand that outside of Jenkins the Saints have never drafted a solid 1st round CB. Patrick Robinson has had a nice career... after leaving town. It's honestly even hard to think of solid CBs drafted in any round, in 50 years, it's a short list, like names you can count on one hand. Lattimore is magnificent, one of the best Saints draft picks ever as of right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great RB tandems: Muncie & Galbreath. Mayes & Hilliard. Baker & Livingston. That's the list. Now, Ingram & Kamara might be the best ever.

Marcus Williams has been terrific too, solid key component playing that weird 51 hybrid with Vacarro and Bell.

Even Muhammad is contributing and of course Anzalone was starting (though TBH I like Robertson better...).

This is looking like one of the best Saints draft classes ever.

It's pretty incredible that the Saints are back in the 2nd round of the playoffs. What a season.

5 losses all season, and 4 went to the AFC 1 seed (NE), the NFC 2 seed (Min), the NFC 3 seed (LAR), the NFC 6 seed (Atl).

The transformation from a west coast pass first offense to a run and defense team is amazing, I never thought it would happen. And yet there is Brees waiting in the wings when the Saints run & screen game was shut down by the Panthers. 

Anyway it's been a great season.

I see the Ramczyk pick along with the AP signing as yet another "We are committed to the running game" strategy by SP.  It will be abandoned in favor of Brees chunking it 60 times a game by the second quarter of the Monday night game against the Vikings.

Happy with Lattimore.
HE could only threaten to do it for so long!!!

Minnesota is really, really good.  And don't for one minute think they haven't been getting an earful from meathead fans and sports radio about losing to the Saints in the championship game (thanks Favre) back a few years ago.  They're going to be up and ready for war.

I think this comes down to how tight the refs call the game.  If they let the players play, that benefits the Saints.  I love em, but they are a grab and slap bunch in the secondary.

Holding will be the tell-tale sign for me.  Basically, if they don't call any offensive holding in this game, I think the Saints win big.

This team blew my expectations away from what I had in mind at the beginning of the season.  This rookie class was epic and will help the franchise for years to come.  With so many injuries I had lower expectations when the playoffs started as having over 7 starters on IR is tough for any team to overcome.  Tough way to lose but for a miracle against a team at home with a great defense almost at full strength it shows what this team can do if fully healthy.  I'm looking forward to who Jeff Ireland will snag this year in the draft.

Who Dat

POLL: Grading the Saints moves in free agency
Honestly I'll give them an A right now on the whole, even if no one signing is any better than say a B. Coleman, Davis and Robinson is terrific bolstering of the defensive middle and backfield. They still need a safety and an end but I am loving it so far.

- eta - Savage seems pointless. I've always felt great faith in all the backups Payton has brought in or developed, typically except for Daniel they had a history of at least some regular starting history in the NFL. And Savage does have that but that starting history was just awful.

Honestly I'll give them an A right now on the whole, even if no one signing is any better than say a B. Coleman, Davis and Robinson is terrific bolstering of the defensive middle and backfield. They still need a safety and an end but I am loving it so far.

- eta - Savage seems pointless. I've always felt great faith in all the backups Payton has brought in or developed, typically except for Daniel they had a history of at least some regular starting history in the NFL. And Savage does have that but that starting history was just awful.
saints defense is gonna be nasty.  if they stick with offensive formula of pounding it with ingram/kamara like they should, they are gonna easily win alot of games

I think the Saints are killing it. Robinson and Davis were the best FA additions at their positions for the price in my opinion. I even like the Savage pickup, he played better than his numbers last year, as the Texans had the NFL's worst line and he's immobile. Would likely be much improved behind Saints line and with Payton calling the plays. Coleman is the only move I'd be wary of. I'd have preferred to draft a guy, or just increase Chris Banjo's snaps.

Nelson and Suh rumors out there too. 

i like that they're attracting quality talent again instead of complete retreads, journeymen and other hacks. 

- Davis is such a good signing. He can anchor the LB corps.

- Robinson had a lot of PD's last year. he's still got speed, i guess, but he's a good pairing with Lattimore. the key to these guys is a quality, consistent pass rush. can Jordan lead is there again?

- Savage is "break glass in case of emergency". we'll draft someone again in the first 3 rounds. 

-Kurt Coleman gives us flexibility and depth. I'm disappointed in Vaccaro didn't show better for us. I thought he was jerked around a lot inexplicably. feels like the Malcolm Jenkins thing all over again. Coleman signing helps us against the Panthers, maybe.

- Brees signing the 2-year is best offseason move. he looked good last year even if the gaudy numbers weren't there. he showed us in games - like Minnesota - that he still could put us on his back when it mattered most. 

Tom Benson has passed away. I know folks weren't always that fond of him - especially with the chatter about relocating from time to time - but he did love the Saints. Benson Boogie!

:poursout40ozhurricane:

I was a little perplexed by the move up for Davenport, but I got to see a lot of clips of him today and he's a beast.  It's easy to see why the Saints fell in love with the guy.

Looked good at the combine, seems to have all the tools.  Raw, but from what I've seen has a higher ceiling than anyone in this draft.

Doesn't seem to have a high jerk store inventory either.

Saints fan backing off of the ledge

I was a little perplexed by the move up for Davenport, but I got to see a lot of clips of him today and he's a beast.  It's easy to see why the Saints fell in love with the guy.

Looked good at the combine, seems to have all the tools.  Raw, but from what I've seen has a higher ceiling than anyone in this draft.

Doesn't seem to have a high jerk store inventory either.

Saints fan backing off of the ledge
i though they overpaid mostly for the pick. Davenport has all the upside you want in a player but who were we trying to get ahead of with the pick? Dallas at 1.19 could have picked him, I guess, so we definitely needed to get ahead of them. Were other teams willing to move up maybe though? I know we can only make trades when there is a willing partner on the other end. Maybe GB was the only other team willing to trade on our terms (late R1 this year)?

Regardless, I think Davenport is a beast and will learn alongside All-Pro Jordan. *IF* he can tap into his potential then we have made a heckuva pick here. 

I think we're looking at a WR or TE in R2. We could see one of those project TEs added and kiss Fleener goodbye.

Reviews were mixed on the pick but I'm surprised that most were actually favorable.  The main issue that elite end rushers are coveted like gold.  They are hard to find and when they are found, teams NEVER let go.  They don't go to free agency. 

The Saints view Davenport as such and made sure they got him.  They were never in the running for Chubb.  Given that, I have no problem with the move.  They identified him early on and went and got what they feel is one of the last missing pieces.  It may not work out but I understand the move, even if an overpay by some standards.  If the pick hits, it will be a drastic underpay.

Reviews were mixed on the pick but I'm surprised that most were actually favorable.  The main issue that elite end rushers are coveted like gold.  They are hard to find and when they are found, teams NEVER let go.  They don't go to free agency. 

The Saints view Davenport as such and made sure they got him.  They were never in the running for Chubb.  Given that, I have no problem with the move.  They identified him early on and went and got what they feel is one of the last missing pieces.  It may not work out but I understand the move, even if an overpay by some standards.  If the pick hits, it will be a drastic underpay.
I'd mostly agree with the sentiment here. Davenport just needs to deliver on his potential.

I thought this snip from Espn about the Davenport acquisition was interesting:

How rare was the move?

It was just the third time in the past 15 years that a team had packaged two first-round picks to move up and draft a non-quarterback (the others being receiver Julio Jones at No. 6 overall in 2011 and receiver Sammy Watkins at No. 4 in 2014).
What a strange cutoff considering the Saints acquired Johnathan Sullivan just the year before (sending two 2003 first round picks, 1.17 Bryant Johnson & 1.18 Calvin Pace, and a 2nd round pick, 2.54, Anquan Boldin) to the Cardinals for Sullivan (at 1.06), a 2nd rounder (2.37 Jonathan Stinchcomb), and a 4th (4.102 Montrae Holland).

And, according to ESPN Stats & Information, it was the first time in the common-draft era that a team had traded two first-round picks to acquire a pick outside of the top 12 for any player, regardless of position. (The previous high was set last year, when the Houston Texans traded a future first-rounder to move up from No. 25 to No. 12 and draft quarterback Deshaun Watson).
That seems surprising but I guess it's true.

The Saints also sent the 1.07 in 1968 and 1.05 in 1969 for TE Dave Parks.

Nick Underhill‏Verified account @nick_underhill

Some bonus info for the UDFAs the Saints have signed

OL Jeromy Irwin $8,500 signing bonus, $15K base guarantee

WR Keith Kirkwood $17K SB, $25K base

TE Deon Yelder $15K SB, $75K base

OL Corey Helms $5K SB, $5K base

2:03 PM - 1 May 2018

The Saints have a plethora of backup RBs while getting ready for Ingram to be out:

• Edmunds
  • Scott
  • Williams
  • West 
  • Vereen
Lasco has been cut. 

Eta - update: it was Gillislee & Williams buy the staff has hardly trusted them beyond the most minimal role.

Users who are viewing this thread