What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Twitter Thread (1 Viewer)

Since then, I have been consistently getting notifications to my phone about election fraud case updates

You're lucky. I got the ones where human beings harm other human beings in the most graphic fashion one could imagine. Just wanton violence in my feed. Twitter went downhill when he took over. I know power users and shapers craft their own feeds and seem to be happy with less heavy-handed moderation on their political side, but something is nagging at me and telling me that if crazy violence and weird **** in my feed is my experience then others are experiencing similar things. And they've told me that in this very thread. I have no reason to disbelieve their experiences.

He took over. I wound up with graphic violence in my feed. All the time. That's all I know as an end-user, and naturally I'm going to blame Musk for it.

I’m not even talking about my feed. I’m talking about alerts that show up on my phone without me even going to Twitter.

Careful or a Musk supporter will blame you and how you interact with the platform. I personally think it's just buggy and a bad platform for end-users since he took over.

And I had virtually no opinion about Musk (I think electric cars are a boon for society and I couldn't care less about space and the final frontier), but I can tell you this debacle makes me think twice about him as a public figure of importance.

eta* and do what massraider said. Funny how I'm getting a bit soapboxy and he's solving problems here.

Last edited:
I’m not even talking about my feed. I’m talking about alerts that show up on my phone without me even going to Twitter.
Click on your profile, settings/security. Disable them there.

No one needs Twitter notifications, and this was true long before Musk.
About a week ago, I turned off basically all notifications on my phone (except for a couple things like text messages). Just went into the settings and removed permissions for those apps to send notifications. No breaking news, no score updates. It's great. You don't realize how over-notified we are until you just get rid of them. Used to get like 3 notifications any time any big sports news broke. I still read the news, but don't need to be notified instantly when it happens.

Since then, I have been consistently getting notifications to my phone about election fraud case updates

You're lucky. I got the ones where human beings harm other human beings in the most graphic fashion one could imagine. Just wanton violence in my feed. Twitter went downhill when he took over. I know power users and shapers craft their own feeds and seem to be happy with less heavy-handed moderation on their political side, but something is nagging at me and telling me that if crazy violence and weird **** in my feed is my experience then others are experiencing similar things. And they've told me that in this very thread. I have no reason to disbelieve their experiences.

He took over. I wound up with graphic violence in my feed. All the time. That's all I know as an end-user, and naturally I'm going to blame Musk for it.
Yep, and I'm seeing a recent uptick in grotesque animal violence too. I mostly use it for sports updates and local news and interests, but once or twice a week I'll stray and scroll, and I regret it 100% of the time.

I was getting loaded with the same violent stuff, but there's a little menu upper right of every post. Click it and choose not interested or block and it stops shortly. I have never been happier with my twitter feed and appreciate the community notes a couple times a day.

I was getting loaded with the same violent stuff, but there's a little menu upper right of every post. Click it and choose not interested or block and it stops shortly. I have never been happier with my twitter feed and appreciate the community notes a couple times a day.
This eventually worked for me too. I posted a while back that I was getting this stuff in the "For You" tab, and specifically that it kept coming even after I blocked some of these accounts. Something changed not too long after that and these mostly disappeared. One pops up every once in a while, but it's nothing like what it was, say, six months ago.

These days, I find that "For You" is sort of a funhouse mirror version of my "Following" tab. Very similar content, but it's mostly different accounts that I don't follow and it feels like they run about 60-40 in disagreeing with my preferred POV. I've picked up some good follows this way, but it's still obviously very hit-and-miss.

Honestly, it's disturbing to know there are apparently a ton of people out there who consume the violent stuff. The algorithm wouldn't be automatically feeding it to people otherwise.

I'm on twitter a good amount, what you say is true to an extent, blocking does work to a degree, but similar content continues to pop up. Prior to Musk I blocked someone once in a while but now I'm constantly blocking posts every day. I find it tiresome, yet have to concede not stopping me from using it.

This eventually worked for me too. I posted a while back that I was getting this stuff in the "For You" tab, and specifically that it kept coming even after I blocked some of these accounts. Something changed not too long after that and these mostly disappeared. One pops up every once in a while, but it's nothing like what it was, say, six months ago.

These days, I find that "For You" is sort of a funhouse mirror version of my "Following" tab. Very similar content, but it's mostly different accounts that I don't follow and it feels like they run about 60-40 in disagreeing with my preferred POV. I've picked up some good follows this way, but it's still obviously very hit-and-miss.

Honestly, it's disturbing to know there are apparently a ton of people out there who consume the violent stuff. The algorithm wouldn't be automatically feeding it to people otherwise.

That's how I've seen my "for you" tab. I regularly see content from people I wasn't aware of that is outstanding. Mostly business / marketing stuff. But for me, it works exceptionally well in showing me new people to follow. And it's obviously working well for the content creator as I'm seeing people and if they produce good content, I'm following them.

I agree with many of you about the uptick of gore/violence/death videos. I don’t really use twitter but occasionally get sent links from friends for benign topics but if I scroll…. I don’t want to see people dying/getting mauled by a tiger/shot in the face/crushed by a stage light.

Instagram is similar.

In the comment section a person posted “this his like the 12th person I’ve watched die today”.

It’s not healthy for anyone.

I'm on twitter a good amount, what you say is true to an extent, blocking does work to a degree, but similar content continues to pop up. Prior to Musk I blocked someone once in a while but now I'm constantly blocking posts every day. I find it tiresome, yet have to concede not stopping me from using it.

X, there I did it, has become my soul source for news and info, and along with AI LLMs, it has replaced google for search. Blocking just prevents that account from appearing in your feed. Using not interested does a better job of stopping the offensive content in general. It took maybe five days of doing both to get things the way I wanted. I blocked an account that kept showing up with "shoplifting" tweets. They kept coming but from different accounts. I tapped "not interested" on them and that did the trick.

I'm a tech neophyte and don't understand how the twitter algo works but for whatever reason I've almost never seen any violence/gore/graphic sex on twitter. I can't remember ever seeing that stuff other than when I was actively searching for it. I just checked and see that I follow 1,261 accounts - across a broad range of sports, business/law, politics, humor, music, friends and hobbies like woodworking, grilling/cooking and homebrewing. I don't often scroll "For You" though - typically try to stay on my familiar ground.

In the comment section a person posted “this his like the 12th person I’ve watched die today”.

It’s not healthy for anyone.

I avoided Faces of Death as a teenager when others were watching it. I had no need for it.

I have no need for it now. As you said, it's also unhealthy to watch that stuff, never mind revel in it.
Same. I've never seen any of those and avoided them when I was young. I consume lots of violent and/or gruesome fiction, but it's very different when it's real.

Click on your profile, settings/security. Disable them there.

No one needs Twitter notifications, and this was true long before Musk.
There are accounts at there that do various type of deal updates. Tagging them for alert and using those Twitter notifications is one of the fastest ways I've found to get that information.

Community Notes is really messed up behind the scenes. Very few actually are published, some of the crap that gets proposed is nuts

Same. All the sudden I have tons of violent clips in my feed. Really weird

Same. All the sudden I have tons of violent clips in my feed. Really weird
Maybe the World has ruled against Elon and this is just the start.

Folks still buying that user experience hasn't changed?

100% buying it for me. If anything, my experience is better. The algorithm seems more relevant, and site as a whole is more useful than ever. I also use it pretty specifically and this is just my experience. Obviously, it seems others have a different experience. I'm just relaying mine.

Been the same for me as well. I have 60 different accounts I follow across various topics, and almost always use the Following tab. Every once in a while I check out For You, but even there I don’t see anything violent or inappropriate, it’s almost all stuff that’s relevant to the accounts I follow. I also very rarely look at replies to anything. But it basically works the same for me as it always has.

User experience has 100% changed - but I am not sure it is fair to blame Musk alone.

The biggest change has to do with users who have left the platform or who now post less frequently - which impacts my enjoyment.

I think some folks left pre-maturely - but, I can't really say whether their own experiences drove them away - it could be that things we too toxic for them. I don't personally run into "bad" content - I am pretty particular about who I follow, so I curate my own content. Its just that there is a lot less content.

User experience has 100% changed - but I am not sure it is fair to blame Musk alone.

The biggest change has to do with users who have left the platform or who now post less frequently - which impacts my enjoyment.

I think some folks left pre-maturely - but, I can't really say whether their own experiences drove them away - it could be that things we too toxic for them. I don't personally run into "bad" content - I am pretty particular about who I follow, so I curate my own content. Its just that there is a lot less content.
This has been the only downside for me -- having to replace a few high-quality lefty follows who migrated to a different platform. That's a legit drawback, but I'd face the exact same problem if I had moved with them (not that I would have done so).

Otherwise, it's been great. I still get a good mix of different PsOV, nobody is being banned for saying truthful things (e.g. covid probably escaped from the lab in Wuhan), and Community Notes are fantastic.

but I'd face the exact same problem if I had moved with them (not that I would have done so).
Yeah - I have tried a few alternatives - it's the same issue. Not enough content to make any moves by me worthwhile. In addition to more "national" topics and content providers I have a core group where we discuss specialized topics - local and niche - and it would take too long to recreate that environment somewhere else - even if we all agreed to go to the same platform.

I will ride the Twitter ship to the bottom.

My one real frustration with Musk - I don't think he understands the best revenue model for Twitter remains the ad-based revenue stream. He had content providers willingly putting content on his platform - for free. He simply needed to monetize it better - and, for better or worse, stay away from the "free speech" debate, and continue to cull content at the fringes. His customers have always been the advertisers - whether he realized it or not. His users were/are his product. Deliver high quality product to his customers, and make money.

ummm... users left the platform b/c of Musk

ummm... users left the platform b/c of Musk
Sure, but they were easily replaceable. It's still a high-traffic platform, and once you get past a certain threshold it just doesn't matter if a few thousand people leave or a few thousand new users show up. I follow fewer than 150 people.

Also, the type of person who storms off because they don't like the owner are disproportionately unlikely to be worth following in the first place.

100% buying it for me. If anything, my experience is better. The algorithm seems more relevant, and site as a whole is more useful than ever. I also use it pretty specifically and this is just my experience. Obviously, it seems others have a different experience. I'm just relaying mine.

I think he is referring to the global outage yesterday.

After 10 years on Twitter/X, I saw my first ever porn in my feed today. Guess that's free speech too. Never sought out porn on Twitter/X or clicked on anything remotely close to resembling porn before. Post Elon I have to do too much work blocking stuff I don't want, which isn't a great user experience IMO.

Last edited:
Without an account, I used to go to Twitter to follow some quote or link in some article, and it was easy. I could read the quote, and if it was part of a longer thread it was easy to get to the whole thread and follow it. I'd do it for sports and news stories I was interested in. I can't do that easily any more, and I probably use Twitter 20% as much as I used to. 80% of my views are gone for them.

Cutting off viewers with no account from being able to read someone's entire feed must have seemed like a good idea to someone's ego and/or to some beancounter, but it decreased my views of Twitter by a lot.

So I made an account. It doesn't tweet and it doesn't follow anyone; it's just a way in so I can see what I could see before things started being made inaccessible. Now I have a page full of supposedly interesting information for me, which I am not interested in, don't want at all, and don't want to spend time cleaning out.

If I was a librarian I think I might spend time there, curate pages and accounts, clean up unwanted stuff, and arrange everything just so, so that it was a comfortable and predictable experience every time just like walking into a library. But I'm not a librarian, I'm someone who wants to read about news events without having to get rid of stuff and organize stuff and spend a lot of time. Doing that is possible, quickly, off Twitter. It's not possible quickly on Twitter.

I don't think this makes me a "hater". I think I'm a guy who had a tool that used to work well and now works really crummy.

the repetitive posts are out of control as well, i see the same or similar posts over and over. now granted i use the 'For you' tab because I am on Twitter a lot. if you were just on 'Following' maybe wouldn't notice.

Anyone else seeing a milion ads for obviously fake "as seen on Shark Tank" products? (mostly KEto+ ACV gummies) The ads are even like "dont fall for fake "as seen on Shark tank" products"....when THEY are indeed the fake product.
At least those seem to have taken the place of all the dildo or Saudi/Israeli government ads on my timeline (not sure what their algorithms think of me).

Anyone else seeing a milion ads for obviously fake "as seen on Shark Tank" products? (mostly KEto+ ACV gummies) The ads are even like "dont fall for fake "as seen on Shark tank" products"....when THEY are indeed the fake product.
At least those seem to have taken the place of all the dildo or Saudi/Israeli government ads on my timeline (not sure what their algorithms think of me).
Literally every 5th tweet is for the Keto thing with either Shark Tank, Drew Carey or some other random thing. I keep blocking and saying I'm not interested but it seems that just brings more of them. What a poorly run product this is.

This has been the only downside for me -- having to replace a few high-quality lefty follows who migrated to a different platform. That's a legit drawback, but I'd face the exact same problem if I had moved with them (not that I would have done so).

Otherwise, it's been great. I still get a good mix of different PsOV, nobody is being banned for saying truthful things (e.g. covid probably escaped from the lab in Wuhan), and Community Notes are fantastic.
Interesting take. I guess if Alex Jones and Andrew Tate were my cup of tea, perhaps I would think things were great as well. To each their own.

I’ve seen ads recently that had community notes correcting misinformation in the add that implies a celebrity endorsement that wasn’t given. As bad as these ads are, it also seems strange the platform selling the advertising space would post a misinformation advisory on its own customers‘ ads.

Interesting take. I guess if Alex Jones and Andrew Tate were my cup of tea, perhaps I would think things were great as well. To each their own.
I don't follow either of those guys. I barely even know who Andrew Tate is.

You're telling on yourself if you think that those are the right-wing versions of the kind of media you consume.

Edit: Also, what was the point of parachuting back into the thread just to post a lazy, drive-by personal swipe in response to something I posted a week and a half ago about my own, personal, subjective experiences with a particular product? I don't think you actually think that I follow Alex Jones -- why the trolling?

Last edited:
Without an account, I used to go to Twitter to follow some quote or link in some article, and it was easy. I could read the quote, and if it was part of a longer thread it was easy to get to the whole thread and follow it. I'd do it for sports and news stories I was interested in. I can't do that easily any more, and I probably use Twitter 20% as much as I used to. 80% of my views are gone for them.

Cutting off viewers with no account from being able to read someone's entire feed must have seemed like a good idea to someone's ego and/or to some beancounter, but it decreased my views of Twitter by a lot.

So I made an account. It doesn't tweet and it doesn't follow anyone; it's just a way in so I can see what I could see before things started being made inaccessible. Now I have a page full of supposedly interesting information for me, which I am not interested in, don't want at all, and don't want to spend time cleaning out.

If I was a librarian I think I might spend time there, curate pages and accounts, clean up unwanted stuff, and arrange everything just so, so that it was a comfortable and predictable experience every time just like walking into a library. But I'm not a librarian, I'm someone who wants to read about news events without having to get rid of stuff and organize stuff and spend a lot of time. Doing that is possible, quickly, off Twitter. It's not possible quickly on Twitter.

I don't think this makes me a "hater". I think I'm a guy who had a tool that used to work well and now works really crummy.

This seems to be my experience too - except I don’t have a Twitter account and won’t bother to create one. Similar thing with Instagram last time I followed a link.

Saw it for a day, and then it was gone. YMMV

A federal judge in California has shot down Elon Musk’s attempt to invalidate a state social media law

Law requires that companies publish their content moderation policies.
The company claimed the law’s “true intent” was to “pressure social media platforms to ‘eliminate’ certain constitutionally-protected content viewed by the State as problematic.”

This is a minor issue, compared the EU

In a statement, Breton explained that the newly announced proceedings show "the time of big online platforms behaving like they are 'too big to care' has come to an end." He continued: "We now have clear rules, ex ante obligations, strong oversight, speedy enforcement, and deterrent sanctions and we will make full use of our toolbox to protect our citizens and democracies." This instance marks the first time the Commission has opened formal proceedings to enforce these EU regulations.

Twitter is sometimes great, sometimes gross, and often messy. With that said, I just spent 10 minutes looking at memes from the Pop Tart Bowl mascot and sent up another prayer of thanks that the platform is still alive and kicking.

Twitter is sometimes great, sometimes gross, and often messy. With that said, I just spent 10 minutes looking at memes from the Pop Tart Bowl mascot and sent up another prayer of thanks that the platform is still alive and kicking.
This was gold, and it reminded me of the best days of the old FFA.

Literally every third post in my feed is an ad. Started yesterday. Every third post. An ad.
You have 3 options , accept the ads , pay or make lists and read X within lists. There are no ads when you read in lists. You can make lists by category or even just throw who you follow into 1 huge list like everyone you are following.

I didn't even know that you could get alerts on your phone from Twitter.

Yeah, I definitely do not want those.

The only way I've ever even thought about twitter notifications is I'd occasionally have Schefter or Rapport set for notifications for brief periods of time. Where each time they posted a tweet, I'd get a notification. But it would be for like an hour at a time.

Where I have thought this might be useful though is to have a dedicated FBG Newsworthy type account that our promise to the user was only super high priority tweets and nothing else. So they could set to be notified when that account tweeted and they'd know it was a curated list that was super worthwhile. It would be like using a push notification from an app type thing. But even that has lots of problems.

Users who are viewing this thread