What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phoenix (or AZ in general) (1 Viewer)

Moved here from minnesota and love it. Obvious pro is the weather. Low cost of living too and tons of day opportunities to different climates. Also all four sports teams and venues are very good values in terms of costs and accessibilities.

Cons to me are that summers in the low elevation areas do get very hot (120) and there isn't a ton of culture here (politically a very religious right leaning area on social issues). Education isn't terribly great either if you have kids.

So far I have lived in the three main cities in Mohave county - northwest area of the state

near vegas. Also lived in the Tempe/mesa/scottsdale area for a couple years.
This is one of the biggest draws for me. A friend of mine lives in Gilbert, in a 4-bed 2000 sq ft house she bought for 240k... property taxes are 1500/year. In the suburb of Chicago I'm from a similarly sized house would go for upwards of 325k and property taxes would be in the neighborhood of 8-10k. Since I'm self-employed I could seemingly give myself a 30% raise in purchasing power just by moving.
Is your friend my college roommate? He lives in Gilbert, has a 3/2 with a pool (waterfall), putting green, and basketball hoop in his backyard, and paid mid-250s IIRC.

AZ isn't for me, but I damn sure understand the perks of living there. Cost of living is a huge bonus.

I will say I think those hyping the sports teams are going a bit overboard, especially if football is your thing. The Cardinals stadium is a hike away from Gilbert and PHX - it isn't located anywhere near downtown. Huge mistake IMO.
Not even close. All stadiums are new and tickets affordable. All have good eating options. The downtown stadiums are right on the light rail or near highways. Parking is fine. The Glendale stuff (Coyotes and Cardinals) are out there but easily accessible and that complex is so well designed that parking is relatively great and the whole shopping/restaurant complex is a nice perk.

And this isn't even mentioning the spring training stadiums that are awesome, affordable, and making Phoenix in March the best place to be.

Moved here from minnesota and love it. Obvious pro is the weather. Low cost of living too and tons of day opportunities to different climates. Also all four sports teams and venues are very good values in terms of costs and accessibilities.

Cons to me are that summers in the low elevation areas do get very hot (120) and there isn't a ton of culture here (politically a very religious right leaning area on social issues). Education isn't terribly great either if you have kids.

So far I have lived in the three main cities in Mohave county - northwest area of the state

near vegas. Also lived in the Tempe/mesa/scottsdale area for a couple years.
This is one of the biggest draws for me. A friend of mine lives in Gilbert, in a 4-bed 2000 sq ft house she bought for 240k... property taxes are 1500/year. In the suburb of Chicago I'm from a similarly sized house would go for upwards of 325k and property taxes would be in the neighborhood of 8-10k. Since I'm self-employed I could seemingly give myself a 30% raise in purchasing power just by moving.
Is your friend my college roommate? He lives in Gilbert, has a 3/2 with a pool (waterfall), putting green, and basketball hoop in his backyard, and paid mid-250s IIRC.

AZ isn't for me, but I damn sure understand the perks of living there. Cost of living is a huge bonus.

I will say I think those hyping the sports teams are going a bit overboard, especially if football is your thing. The Cardinals stadium is a hike away from Gilbert and PHX - it isn't located anywhere near downtown. Huge mistake IMO.
Not even close. All stadiums are new and tickets affordable. All have good eating options. The downtown stadiums are right on the light rail or near highways. Parking is fine. The Glendale stuff (Coyotes and Cardinals) are out there but easily accessible and that complex is so well designed that parking is relatively great and the whole shopping/restaurant complex is a nice perk.

And this isn't even mentioning the spring training stadiums that are awesome, affordable, and making Phoenix in March the best place to be.
I would agree with you 100% if the Cardinals weren't in bum#### Glendale, and were downtown instead. If you live east of the city, you're essentially an hour away from the stadium.

Why did they put it up there??? And I'd say the same thing if the Chargers were to ignore downtown and build their new stadium in Oceanside.

I would agree with you 100% if the Cardinals weren't in bum#### Glendale, and were downtown instead. If you live east of the city, you're essentially an hour away from the stadium.

Why did they put it up there??? And I'd say the same thing if the Chargers were to ignore downtown and build their new stadium in Oceanside.
The land was free (donated by the devolper in the area). Believe me, this was a topic hotly debated when the project was going into affect. Further, the city of Glendale nearly bankrucpt themselves with tax credits to the Cars/Coyotes. In hindsight the stadium should have been put downtown next to BOB and AWA. I remember the legislators claiming that the stadium would interfere with flight paths at Sky Harbor. It was a complete crock of B/S.

Mesa was in the running for the cardinals stadium. Was gonna be where the new Cubs stadium is. Unfortunately their ultra-conservative city council who hate anything fun shot it down.

Regardless it's not an hour from east valley to the stadium. 60-10-101. All at 75mph. Easy 30 minutes.

Mesa was in the running for the cardinals stadium. Was gonna be where the new Cubs stadium is. Unfortunately their ultra-conservative city council who hate anything fun shot it down.

Regardless it's not an hour from east valley to the stadium. 60-10-101. All at 75mph. Easy 30 minutes.
LOL

Um no.

I guess it depends on your definition of east

valley. The valley is pretty big.
Yeah, it's not 30 minutes from AJ or Queen Creek, but Chandler, West Mesa and Tempe? 30 is pretty close
Yeah that's what I'm talking about and would consider east valley. For example I know I can get from main and country club to the stadium in 30. Heck, I think I could get there from most sections of gilbert in 40 on s Sunday. There's no traffic.

Yeah probably. I read that coming home from my hour plus commute tonight from downtown Phoenix to Chandler and had that experience in my head. I've still never been to a game at the new Cardinals stadium yet. Need to go next year when my Vikings are here.

Don't live here but come here often for business. Had breakfast this morning on the on my balcony overlooking TPC Scottsdale. I'm from So Cal (Thousand Oaks) and actually like a lot about this area. Just like Palm Springs, fall through spring are awesome. I came out here for business a few years ago and they had 113 straight days over 100 degrees. That's hot - humidity or not.

But affordable, sports teams, get lots of music acts, etc, better business climate. Has been a big boom/bust economic climate with housing etc but on an upswing now.

So 45 minutes from Gilbert with no traffic, an hour with any traffic?
Gilbert is way east. From Phoenix the stadium is like 15 minutesAnd there isn't traffic on Sundays.
That's fair. My buddy ("Stingdiddy") lives in Gilbert, so that's my point of reference. Making it to downtown is a hassle when I visit, and going to Glendale is unheard of.

Own a number of properties in North Central Phoenix & have lived in the area mostly full time during winter for the past 6-7 years. Great place to live during the winter, great sports venues as alluded & lots to do (particularly if the outdoorsy type) & affordable.

I really would visit during the summer time to determine if you want to call the Phoenix area home. 3-4+ months of 105-110+ will wear on you whether you're use to hot weather or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
First time i flew hear for possible relocation it was 121 at the airport so yes definately come mid summer. The winters are awesome though. And no snow or ice.

I love the Phoenix area. Yeah, summer is hot. Duh.

Pros:

Cactus League is awesome.

It's easy to get around.

Very clean city.

The mountains are beautiful.

The women are gorgeous.

Incredible golf.

Low cost of living.

Vegas is drivable.

Cons:

Summer midday is brutal. (psst...air conditioning)

You have to drive through New Mexico to get to Texas.

Old people. Although I will be one in a few years. That sucks.

First time i flew hear for possible relocation it was 121 at the airport so yes definately come mid summer. The winters are awesome though. And no snow or ice.
With you're spelling you fit write in with the ASU coeds and Scottsdale yahoos. ;)

Heading to Phoenix in a couple weeks to see some Cactus League games with my wife and son (19 y.o.) Staying at the Renaissance Glendale as it's near Camelback Ranch, where the White Sox and Dodgers are. I'm looking for some must-see places if I don't already mention them and some restaurant recommendations.

Would like to go to Taliesin. My wife and I are big FLW/Mid-century modern fans. I was here a few years ago but I know my wife will love it.
Sedona - Worth the drive up there?
Desert Botanical Garden - Worth it? Saw it on reddit.

Here are some restaurant recommendations I found on Reddit also: Taco Calafia, Tacos Huicho, Tacos Sahuaro, Tortas Paquime, Cocina Madriga
Also going to Portillos for some Italian Beef and Chicago-style Hot Dogs if I can't get them at the White Sox and Cubs complex...

We will definitely see Cubs/White Sox at Camelback. Also want to see Dodgers and Reds if possible. Also have read that Diamondbacks/Rockies complex at Talking Stick is pretty nice.

Missing anything essential?

I always suggest the Musical Instrument Museum - make sure you have a full day set aside, though.

If you’re going to hike and be outside, Sedona is worth a day or two. Maybe the pink jeep tours. Everything else about that place is a little overrated, I think (shopping and food, specifically. It’s naturally very beautiful.)

If you are into FLW, you might enjoy Arcosanti. It’s not too far and the history around it is very interesting. Can knock that out in a day, easily.

There’s a lot of good restaurants here to the point where it’s hard to really recommend anything without knowing any specific types of food you want. Obviously there’s great Mexican, but some of the best are places with “berto” in the name that’s in a strip mall next to a laundromat.

Cocina Madrigal is great.

Sedona is great. My wife and her sister just did a pink jeep tour. They enjoyed it. We have also hiked there and enjoyed that quite a bit.

What were you looking to do in sedona? I agree with earlier sentiment that the food and shops arent worth it.

You mean Taliesin West, right?
Is he meaning Tolleson? That is a city near Glendale/Goodyear, though don't really know why anybody would want to go there.

ETA: Never mind, looks like it's a Frank LLoyd Wright thing.

Sedona is great. My wife and her sister just did a pink jeep tour. They enjoyed it. We have also hiked there and enjoyed that quite a bit.

What were you looking to do in sedona? I agree with earlier sentiment that the food and shops arent worth it.
If one concludes that the food in Sedona isn't worth it, then he or she are going to the wrong places. There's some fantastic food in Sedona and it probably boasts the best restaurant in the state (Elote).

Heading to Phoenix in a couple weeks to see some Cactus League games with my wife and son (19 y.o.) Staying at the Renaissance Glendale as it's near Camelback Ranch, where the White Sox and Dodgers are. I'm looking for some must-see places if I don't already mention them and some restaurant recommendations.

Would like to go to Taliesin. My wife and I are big FLW/Mid-century modern fans. I was here a few years ago but I know my wife will love it.
Sedona - Worth the drive up there?
Desert Botanical Garden - Worth it? Saw it on reddit.

Here are some restaurant recommendations I found on Reddit also: Taco Calafia, Tacos Huicho, Tacos Sahuaro, Tortas Paquime, Cocina Madriga
Also going to Portillos for some Italian Beef and Chicago-style Hot Dogs if I can't get them at the White Sox and Cubs complex...

We will definitely see Cubs/White Sox at Camelback. Also want to see Dodgers and Reds if possible. Also have read that Diamondbacks/Rockies complex at Talking Stick is pretty nice.

Missing anything essential?
Will get you a substantive response when I have time.

If one concludes that the food in Sedona isn't worth it, then he or she are going to the wrong places. There's some fantastic food in Sedona and it probably boasts the best restaurant in the state (Elote).

I’ve been to Elote. It’s very good. I still don’t think the food is why you go to Sedona.

I’ve been to Elote. It’s very good. I still don’t think the food is why you go to Sedona.
Correct - it's not why one would go to Sedona. But, that's a different issue and statement then saying the food isn't worth it. I think there's very good food in Sedona if you know where to go.

We went to Valentine this past week (Phoenix) and the ribeye dish was one of the best things I’ve had in recent memory. Whole place was great. Lots of good options here.

Looking like we will be making many trips to phx over the next few years
I have some very good restaurant recommendations for you when you do.
Please throw some out… one more night downtown
You're there downtown (Phoenix) now?
For downtown Phoenix I'd recommend checking out Pizzeria Bianco (you can't make a reservation, so go early). So, if you haven't eaten there, that's where I'd start. There's a nice little bar area in the building to the right of the restaurant. Bianco's other restaurant is Tratto.

Other suggestions I have are as follows.

Lunch:
Arrogant Butcher
La Grande Orange
Pomeroy's (dive bar with classic sandwiches)
Taco Chelo
Tacos Chiwas
Zinburger

Dinner:
Lon's at the Hermosa Inn (not in downtown, but not a far drive and it's a beautiful property)
Christopher's at Wrigley Mansion (very pricey but damn good)
Chico Malo
Espiritu - this is in downtown Mesa (you can take the light rail) and it's very trendy so there will be a wait as they don't do reservations, but I think this is the best restaurant in the Valley.

@Zow
Tried for arrogant butcher on Sunday night.. 2hr wait. Went next door to rosso. Very good

Last night we did Chico Malo. Also very good

I have heard about Bianco (food network). We’ll see if we want Italian again.

Fun trip so far

Reactions: Zow

Correct - it's not why one would go to Sedona. But, that's a different issue and statement then saying the food isn't worth it. I think there's very good food in Sedona if you know where to go.
Nobody said there was no good food to eat in Sedona. There is probably good food in Wikieup, but I aint stopping there to eat.

I like to go to Sedona for the natural beauty. I dont like overpaying and I hate traffic.

We get there early and gtfo thanking god we are leaving as the cars are just starting to really back up at the roundabouts or stoplights.

Naming super popular places that get air time on tv doesnt make your opinion more correct on this matter.

@Drunken knight do you like mole?

It isnt my thing, but i have taken a few people to La Santisima specifically for their mole and they rave about it.

My favorite parts about that place is that parking is easy, they have a salsa bar with a ridiculously good strawberry salsa, and it isnt very expensive.

I believe it was also on food network at one point.

@Drunken knight do you like mole?

It isnt my thing, but i have taken a few people to La Santisima specifically for their mole and they rave about it.

My favorite parts about that place is that parking is easy, they have a salsa bar with a ridiculously good strawberry salsa, and it isnt very expensive.

I believe it was also on food network at one point.
Love moles. Because we had Mexican last night the girls pretty much said anything but Mexican tonight. I will bookmark it for next time (likely move in).

Nobody said there was no good food to eat in Sedona. There is probably good food in Wikieup, but I aint stopping there to eat.

I like to go to Sedona for the natural beauty. I dont like overpaying and I hate traffic.

We get there early and gtfo thanking god we are leaving as the cars are just starting to really back up at the roundabouts or stoplights.

Naming super popular places that get air time on tv doesnt make your opinion more correct on this matter.
Your statement that I responded to was "the food.. [isn't] worth it." I disagree with that statement and attempted to refute it. Not sure why you're now attacking me for pointing out some really good places there, especially after I conceded that one shouldn't go to Sedona just for the food scene. Nonetheless, the food there is worth it IMO and I stated why. I'm also there often as I have an office there so, respectfully, I think I know what I'm talking about in regard to the Sedona food scene.

As to Wikieup, you're correct in that there is good food there. Luchia's on the north side of town has some really good lunch options.

My in-laws booked a house in Scottsdale for a week. We'll meet them there.

In July. They booked this for July. :mellow:
Uhhhh why?

I was going to say I'd be happy to meet up for a beer but, **** man, it's basically the surface of the sun in July. Maybe you need to head a couple hours north up the hill for a day trip and I'll happily buy you a beer.

Uhhhh why?

I was going to say I'd be happy to meet up for a beer but, **** man, it's basically the surface of the sun in July. Maybe you need to head a couple hours north up the hill for a day trip and I'll happily buy you a beer.

These same people booked Disney World in August. I.....I don't have any say. I refused to go to Disney but I'm going to have to go on this one. I'm pretty sure I'll just burst into flames upon arrival and that'll be it for GM.

Uhhhh why?

These same people booked Disney World in August. I.....I don't have any say. I refused to go to Disney but I'm going to have to go on this one. I'm pretty sure I'll just burst into flames upon arrival and that'll be it for GM.
Two hours north... a much more tolerable 80 degrees or so, pines, and good beer.

ETA: Scottsdale is really nice and you'll still have a good time in the pool and stuff. But it's really too hot to do anything but be in a pool when the sun is out.

Last edited:

Uhhhh why?

Two hours north... a much more tolerable 80 degrees or so, pines, and good beer.

ETA: Scottsdale is really nice and you'll still have a good time in the pool and stuff. But it's really too hot to do anything but be in a pool when the sun is out.

Yup, all of these things I'm acutely aware of. I lobbied for a different location, but it's like spitting into the ocean or yelling into the wind with them. Part of me just wants to sit back and watch them complain about the heat for a week.

Uhhhh why?

Yup, all of these things I'm acutely aware of. I lobbied for a different location, but it's like spitting into the ocean or yelling into the wind with them. Part of me just wants to sit back and watch them complain about the heat for a week.

We actually like to visit in the heat of summer because our daughter is a little fish and we can still swim, and you can book some really nice places at really low rates.

I'll occasionally wake up early for a quick hike or 9 holes before the heat of the day, but mostly splashing in some really nice pools for really low rates.

Your statement that I responded to was "the food.. [isn't] worth it." I disagree with that statement and attempted to refute it. Not sure why you're now attacking me for pointing out some really good places there, especially after I conceded that one shouldn't go to Sedona just for the food scene. Nonetheless, the food there is worth it IMO and I stated why. I'm also there often as I have an office there so, respectfully, I think I know what I'm talking about in regard to the Sedona food scene.

As to Wikieup, you're correct in that there is good food there. Luchia's on the north side of town has some really good lunch options.
You disagreed with that statement before agreeing with it.

Lol. Lawyers.

Users who are viewing this thread