What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

I am reaching out for shoe advice. I don't think the on clouds are the only problem, but between my age and increasing waistline I think I need something with more support to get back on the right track. The knee ailment that developed after several others issues I mentioned back in March persisted. I hoped a week off around Vegas would be the cure, but I only lasted ~10 days before it returned so I shut things down the last 3 weeks. Getting back out today was fine, but since it's now been 15 months since stringing more than 4-6 weeks in a row (what do ya know- that's when I turned 40 :lol: ) without something stunting progress I have no confidence I'll be saying the same thing come mid-June. Any suggestions? As 30something year old me said over and over again, I am NOT a shoe guy. I didn't need to be, I suppose father time is undefeated and it's past time to adjust.

First 2 light, cushiony and plenty supportive shoes that come to mind are Saucony speed 3 and the Clifton 9s.
I know you and @gruecd are big fans of the Speed 3s. I just got a pair and, while they are good, I'm not sure I like them better than the 2.

And the Speed 2 can still be found much cheaper.

I like the 2s 10x more than the 3s. I feel like the 3s are clunky with less bounce than the 2s.

I love the Kinvara 14s. The 13s were my favorite version and I had 4 pairs of them...I didn't think anything was going to best them. The 14s are much better IMO. They run close to racing shoes and are super cheap right now.

I love the Kinvara 14s. The 13s were my favorite version and I had 4 pairs of them...I didn't think anything was going to best them. The 14s are much better IMO. They run close to racing shoes and are super cheap right now.
I just bought a pair of 14s, haven’t tried them on yet. Probably won’t for a few months, especially as I’m not running much right now. I liked the 11s slightly more than the 13 but the 13s were solid.

May 21, 2024 - I've finally accepted that I've just gotten old. It isn't the shoes. It isn't flexibility. It isn't strength. It isn't endurance. It isn't time. It isn't weight (although that isn't helping). I'm just old.

I'm sharing because I'm at peace with it. Running has always been a priority. It hasn't been the priority, but it's been a priority. And it's helped make me who I am today. But it's time to turn the page to the next chapter. I foresee a day competitive running may return, but that day is not any time in the next several years because it'd require sacrifices I'm not willing to consider. This is the 3rd year in a row my body has told me it can't handle the rigors of my spring schedule and sustain a base of miles on top of it as I've tried something different each year, but the result is the same.

I'm going to do the same thing this summer I do every summer. Take 2 months off coaching, enjoy time with friends & family, remain physically active, but rest as much as possible. Difference is when coaching begins again in 2 months I'm no longer going to try to train on top of it. I'll run and play ball with the kids at practice, but the days of the lunch run prior are over. I want to do it, but can't. So it's time to adapt. I hope I'll be back when my coaching days are over, but we'll see where I am at that time.

Despite this, I'll try to be more active in this thread than I have been. I turned quiet because I've been trying to get right, but kept failing, so I hope now that I've accepted my reality I'll change. With my days of action on pause, hopefully I can positively influence others by my words instead. And if not there's always shovels.

@MAC_32 - have you been doing weight training this whole time in conjunction with your running…..like you have been in years past?
MUCH less. It's contributed to the weight gain, but I thought it was important to ensure that wasn't the stressor causing recent year problems. I've tried a wide range of approaches to strength training since fall in particular - yoga focused, high rep/low weight/low rest, body weight, heavy weight, single leg/balanced, none at all (!!!)...and nothing worked.

The knee thing I've been battling for > 2 months is quite simply stress related. Doc cleared me - both of them, multiple times. Massage therapist addressed the stressors around it. Sports doc passed me on exercise regimen and execution. Their feedback is relatively uniform - doing what you're doing you just need to rest more than you used to if you're going to seriously train. And that ain't gonna happen.

Positive spin, now that I am going to actually alter approach, I can more intelligently work strength training back into the rotation. When I have those days I'm going to be on my feet for extended periods of time I can more confidently attack a gym workout knowing a run isn't a consideration. Then on lower volume days there is little thought to whether I should run then just decide while I'm out if I can go further that day. Maybe eventually I'll fall bass ackwards into a solution that works for me, but for my mental health purposes it's important I approach this as 'just go exercise' rather than 'training.'

As I now settle into formal marathon training for the next 18 weeks, I'm using a 10-day training cycle. Mileage accumulation will still be weekly (driven by Strava and historical comparisons). But within the 10-day cycle, I'll target three SOS (something of substance) workouts - (1) hill repeats, (2) intervals or tempo, and (3) a long run (most with rolling terrain). The benefit should be that I'll get in a couple of easy days (@gruecd 's "glue days") between each, which I hope will help to stave off injuries. When I can, I'll slip in some short strides on some runs as well. In total, I'll have 12 cycles to work with. We'll see how it goes!

May 21, 2024 - I've finally accepted that I've just gotten old. It isn't the shoes. It isn't flexibility. It isn't strength. It isn't endurance. It isn't time. It isn't weight (although that isn't helping). I'm just old.

I'm sharing because I'm at peace with it. Running has always been a priority. It hasn't been the priority, but it's been a priority. And it's helped make me who I am today. But it's time to turn the page to the next chapter. I foresee a day competitive running may return, but that day is not any time in the next several years because it'd require sacrifices I'm not willing to consider. This is the 3rd year in a row my body has told me it can't handle the rigors of my spring schedule and sustain a base of miles on top of it as I've tried something different each year, but the result is the same.

I'm going to do the same thing this summer I do every summer. Take 2 months off coaching, enjoy time with friends & family, remain physically active, but rest as much as possible. Difference is when coaching begins again in 2 months I'm no longer going to try to train on top of it. I'll run and play ball with the kids at practice, but the days of the lunch run prior are over. I want to do it, but can't. So it's time to adapt. I hope I'll be back when my coaching days are over, but we'll see where I am at that time.

Despite this, I'll try to be more active in this thread than I have been. I turned quiet because I've been trying to get right, but kept failing, so I hope now that I've accepted my reality I'll change. With my days of action on pause, hopefully I can positively influence others by my words instead. And if not there's always shovels.
Welcome!

Positive spin, now that I am going to actually alter approach, I can more intelligently work strength training back into the rotation. When I have those days I'm going to be on my feet for extended periods of time I can more confidently attack a gym workout knowing a run isn't a consideration. Then on lower volume days there is little thought to whether I should run then just decide while I'm out if I can go further that day. Maybe eventually I'll fall bass ackwards into a solution that works for me, but for my mental health purposes it's important I approach this as 'just go exercise' rather than 'training.'
Looking back, I think one of the things that led to some unsuccessful cycles for me was my mental tendency to round the stress effect of all non-running activities to zero. In reality, if you're golfing, hiking, moving kids in and out of dorms, etc., that is definitely going to effect your body's ability to do a workout. I feel like I'm more cognizant now of knowing when normal life makes throwing in a hard run a bad idea.

Donated blood for the first time yesterday. I'm O-, so really should have been doing it earlier (although I didn't know I was O- until two years ago).

At the request of the clinic, I did "double red". It was hot and humid again this morning in DFW, and let me tell you the last 4mi of my ~8mi run sucked. Wasn't interested in punishing myself, so I actually took a couple of walking breaks.

Ankle is still a problem, but not as much as it used to be. No races on the calendar until Aug.

Hey fellas, hope you all are well. At the Prefontaine Classic today, and the Bowerman Mile race that will cap off the day could be one of the most competitive mile fields in a long time. The average PB in the field is like 3:48.x.
On NBC I think, 1:00-3:00 PT.

Hey fellas, hope you all are well. At the Prefontaine Classic today, and the Bowerman Mile race that will cap off the day could be one of the most competitive mile fields in a long time. The average PB in the field is like 3:48.x.
Was watching. Will you be at the trials in about a month?
Kerr ran that mile with Jakob in a headlock.

Was watching. Will you be at the trials in about a month?
Kerr ran that mile with Jakob in a headlock.

Yup, have the NCAAs coming up and then the Trials. If any of y’all are coming out, I’ve got an extra ticket for much of it. My lady is going to be in Sweden for 2 1/2 weeks and will miss all but the last day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread