What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (3 Viewers)

Profootballtalk’s Mike Florio reports the Jets have “more interest than most realize” in free agent Dalvin Cook, and that they are “gaining momentum” toward a signing.
Per Florio, the Jets’ interest is all about Breece Hall’s recovery from his torn ACL. Although Gang Green has publicly projected optimism on Hall’s status, the truth is it is still too early to know what Hall might be ready for come Week 1. There is also the Aaron Rodgers factor, with the team needing to be all in on what could be Rodgers’ first-and-only season with the team. It is also believed the Dolphins remain interested. Cook figures to sign near the beginning of training camp.

So odd to me that the Jets have seemingly all but forgotten about Michael Carter. Seems like a fine stopgap while Hall heals up... but I guess if you can get Cook ,why not?
Heck any 2 of Bam Knight, Carter, and Abanikanda seems pretty solid until Hall is back and fully ready. I guess it's just kind of the arms race mentality when in your window though.

I think the Jets feel like they have all their franchise eggs in this 1 season basket and don't know when or if they will ever be here again. I think signing Dalvin when they may only need him for a handful of games, if that, and already having Carter, is grasping at straws. Admittedly, though, I am a Cook shareholder and don't like him signing to sit around doing little or nothing as a fantasy asset for his last useful year or two

So odd to me that the Jets have seemingly all but forgotten about Michael Carter. Seems like a fine stopgap while Hall heals up... but I guess if you can get Cook ,why not?
They also have Bam Knight who looked very good and I do like the kid from Pitt. I guess it’s just a case of you can’t have too much talent and the Jets are clearly pushing the chips in.

That this is all AFC East teams supposedly interested seems like agent shenanagins to me.

IF Aaron Rodgers is trying to get Cook on the roster maybe we can put to bed this talk about him not being good in pass protection that my eyes never agreed with in the first place.

Too much smoke for there not to be a fire with the Jets. They need to be in it all year this year. Ready to go from the jump.

Of course, as a Hall GM in dynasty, I hate it, but it is what it is.
You shouldn't hate it. Bring Hall back slowly and he'll be ready to go by midseason.

In a perfect world: Dalvin to the Dolphins, Kareem to the Jets and Zeke back with " dem Boyz".
Swap Cook and Hunt and I'd agree. Just think Miami could use more of a receiving RB, especially as insurance if Achane doesn't pan out. Meanwhile NY could use a more balanced RB in case Hall isn't ready for the start of the season.

Have a friend who does financial work for James Cook. He spoke with Dalvin's agent and it is 60/40 that Dalvin goes either to the Dolphins or the Jets. Dolphins have the advantage because he is from there and of course no state income tax.
Just remember where you read this first. It is getting closer and closer to happening.

Have a friend who does financial work for James Cook. He spoke with Dalvin's agent and it is 60/40 that Dalvin goes either to the Dolphins or the Jets. Dolphins have the advantage because he is from there and of course no state income tax.
Just remember where you read this first. It is getting closer and closer to happening.
I hope he doesn’t go to the Jets

I do but was not you, someone was posting this stuff on twitter about a week before you posted it here.

I do but was not you, someone was posting this stuff on twitter about a week before you posted it here.
I don't do Twitter so I can't comment on that. I only know what my buddy (James Cook's accountant) told me last month. At that time no one was saying the Jets.

I first heard that it was Cook to Buffalo or NYJ back on May 30th. Nick from BDGE had a live draft and said during the draft he would break the Dalvin Cook news from who he had a good source from told him was going to happen. Fast forward to 21 minutes and 30 seconds and he states he was told Cook would go to Buffalo or the NYJ.

I am hoping he goes to Miami myself (or 2nd choice Buffalo). I have drafted a lot of Breece Hall in Underdog this would hurt.

I first heard that it was Cook to Buffalo or NYJ back on May 30th. Nick from BDGE had a live draft and said during the draft he would break the Dalvin Cook news from who he had a good source from told him was going to happen. Fast forward to 21 minutes and 30 seconds and he states he was told Cook would go to Buffalo or the NYJ.

James Cook accountant really gets around.

Just seen a report that Minnesota has a $7 million offer on the table if Cook wants to come back.

Just seen a report that Minnesota has a $7 million offer on the table if Cook wants to come back.
I think Boomer was spreading that report but I can't say I'm buying what he's selling.

Saw Cameron Wolfe on NFLN yesterday morning speculate it was between everyone in the AFC East except Buffalo and that all things being equal he'd prefer Miami. I buy that.

Washington is the one sneaky team IMO that could come out of no where.

Can't wait for him to sign because this is high confusing right now wondering what backfield he's going to disrupt. I think everyone but Achane owners are hoping he goes to Miami but if the NFL draft just taught us one thing it's that we here in fantasy land don't often get what we want.

I mean the devil is in the details but if it was a legit 7 mil you gotta think he’d have jumped on that. That’s a top 10ish RB salary and he’s not a top 10ish RB.

I mean the devil is in the details but if it was a legit 7 mil you gotta think he’d have jumped on that. That’s a top 10ish RB salary and he’s not a top 10ish RB.
I beg to differ. He's been elected to the Pro Bowl the last 4 years, and the only time he didn't finish top 10 was in 2021, when he missed 4 games after his arm fell off (and he still managed to finish RB16).

I beg to differ. He's been elected to the Pro Bowl the last 4 years, and the only time he didn't finish top 10 was in 2021, when he missed 4 games after his arm fell off (and he still managed to finish RB16).

The last 4 years != 2023. HTH

I'll start, and just go by team

For 2023 and 2023 alone

AFC East

Rhamondre Stevenson - maybe
Breece Hall - health questions so maybe
Jeff Wilson, Devon Achane, Raheem Mostert - nope
James Cook and Damien Harris - nope

AFC North

Najee Harris - maybe
Joe Mixon - probably a big fat nope
Nick Chubb - yes
J.K. Dobbins, Gus Edwards - maybe Dobbins, not sure

AFC South

Dameon Pierce - maybe
Jonathan Taylor - yes, but how's that injury
Travis Etienne - yes
Derrick Henry - yes, sort of old

AFC West

Josh Jacobs - yes
Nobody on KC
Javonte Williams - maybe if healthy
Austin Ekeler - parallel

NFC East

Tony Pollard - yes
Saquon Barkley - yes
Rashaad Penny, D'Andre Swift - if healthy, then probably yes
Brian Robinson, Antonio Gibson - no

NFC South

Alvin Kamara - ?
Miles Sanders - probably not
Bijan Robinson - yes
Rachaad White - not so fast

NFC North

Mattison - no
Jones, Dillon - no
Montgomery, J. Gibbs - no on Monty, ? on Gibbs
Khalil Herbert, D'Onta Foreman - no

NFC West

Kenneth Walker - yes
Christian McCaffrey - yes
Cam Akers - not really
James Conner - not really

I'm counting ten yes points and a whole bunch of maybes.

Just a fun exercise.

Cook was the second-best RB in a Next Gen stat of explosive rushers from 2021 to only Jonathan Taylor. I think I'm on the Cook train that everybody seems to be off of. I find it hard to believe he lost it in the past year. Maybe he did. But something in me doubts that precipitous of a drop.

I also think he's got something left in the tank. Last year he set career highs in both long run and long reception, and he managed an entire season for the first time. He will become the lead RB wherever he lands.

Is it safe to say he's going to sign with somebody at some point before the season? He's really falling in a slow BB draft I'm in and am considering scooping him up.

Is it safe to say he's going to sign with somebody at some point before the season? He's really falling in a slow BB draft I'm in and am considering scooping him up.
Have to imagine he'll picked up during training camp, if not sooner. And if a starter injury happens early in camp, he'll probably be the first call.

Do you have any idea where the pull those stats from? I went to the NextGen website and see some things, but not those particular and very useful metrics.
The article references a Telemetry Sports as the source for most of the info.

My guess is it's a site like TruMedia which a lot of writers use that is not cost efficient for individual users like us to purchase, if we even have the option-which is kind of annoying to me.

Have to imagine he'll picked up during training camp, if not sooner. And if a starter injury happens early in camp, he'll probably be the first call.
Yes and as Scott Pioli was trying to say this morning his floor is $2m because that's the offset amount of his contract from the Vikings. I think I mentioned this earlier but this is one reason he can take his time, he's not be in a hurry for take say $5m as that's just $3M over what he can get paid to do nothing. From what I've heard from multiple teams beat writers he wants a lot of money, like $9-10M. Eventually he either gets or more likely lowers his demands but he's not in a hurry to just take anything.

Do you have any idea where the pull those stats from? I went to the NextGen website and see some things, but not those particular and very useful metrics.
The article references a Telemetry Sports as the source for most of the info.

My guess is it's a site like TruMedia which a lot of writers use that is not cost efficient for individual users like us to purchase, if we even have the option-which is kind of annoying to me.

Ah thanks, missed that part, just saw NextGen at the top of the paragraph.

Useful content.

Yes and as Scott Pioli was trying to say this morning his floor is $2m because that's the offset amount of his contract from the Vikings. I think I mentioned this earlier but this is one reason he can take his time, he's not be in a hurry for take say $5m as that's just $3M over what he can get paid to do nothing. From what I've heard from multiple teams beat writers he wants a lot of money, like $9-10M. Eventually he either gets or more likely lowers his demands but he's not in a hurry to just take anything.
No one is going to give him 9-10 million in this market, even if their starter suffers a serious injury, but yes he can indeed wait if he's getting 2 million just to work out on his own.

No one is going to give him 9-10 million in this market, even if their starter suffers a serious injury, but yes he can indeed wait if he's getting 2 million just to work out on his own.
I think he'll eventually cater when he can at least beat what Miles and Monty got paid and I think he'll get it. So $6M plus.

How far is "really falling?"

I think once you hit the 7/8 turn, he's worth considering.
Been grabbing both Cook and Kamara in Underdog Best Ball drafts in the 7th to 9th rounds. Both should be great value at those spots

I think Cook (and Hopkins) know their markets far better than we do and their agents probably speak regularly with the teams. I think the players are just letting teams bid against each other until a few days before training camp, or maybe until some time later than that to get the best offer. If MIN has bid 7 Mil, maybe Miami will bid 7.2. If MIN says their bid is off the table tomorrow, Cook may have to make the harder choice, but no reason to think the 7 Mil isn't still out there. If they'd taken the last bid of 6 Mil or whatever from the Jets or whoever, Cook would never have had the offer of 7. No reason at all not to let the teams keep on bidding. People like us thinking they know what bid these guys should take ... need to realize we only know what little we know - not more than the players and their agents.

Users who are viewing this thread