What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

Wife and I holed up last weekend with no football and just ripped through some grimy cop crime movies: Gone Baby Gone, Narc, Sea of Love, Insomnia, Bad Lt: Port of Call New Orleans. What a great genre. Just messy people being messy in life or death situations.

I would love to see more of these get made but I am not sure there’s anything new left to say with them.

It seems like a lot of crime stories get released as multi-episode television properties nowadays, probably because that's what the distributors want to fund. There doesn't seem to be an audience for these types of mid-budget feature films which is too bad because I'd rather see a story compressed into two hours than padded to 8-10.

Wife and I holed up last weekend with no football and just ripped through some grimy cop crime movies: Gone Baby Gone, Narc, Sea of Love, Insomnia, Bad Lt: Port of Call New Orleans. What a great genre. Just messy people being messy in life or death situations.

I would love to see more of these get made but I am not sure there’s anything new left to say with them.

It seems like a lot of crime stories get released as multi-episode television properties nowadays, probably because that's what the distributors want to fund. There doesn't seem to be an audience for these types of mid-budget feature films which is too bad because I'd rather see a story compressed into two hours than padded to 8-10.
I agree with you on that. Plus if it doesn't work and ends up being a disappointment, big difference between spending 2 hours vs 10 hours.

The Koreans like making these kind of movies: Infernal Affairs, I Saw The Devil, The Man From Nowhere...

The Koreans like making these kind of movies: Infernal Affairs, I Saw The Devil, The Man From Nowhere...
Yeah those movies are all from that same era though. Are the Koreans still making them? Or is it an internationally dead genre?

Killing of a Sacred Deer - that was interesting
I’m scared to watch that. He’s a heart surgeon. Is there a lot of heart surgery stuff? I had some heart operations as a kid and that stuff freaks me out way too much.

Opening scene is him performing surgery and you see closeup of beating heart (I think it’s the heart some sort of organ). You could just skip ahead like 60 seconds

I’m scared to watch that. He’s a heart surgeon. Is there a lot of heart surgery stuff? I had some heart operations as a kid and that stuff freaks me out way too much.

Opening scene is him performing surgery and you see closeup of beating heart (I think it’s the heart some sort of organ). You could just skip ahead like 60 seconds
Thanks, if that’s it than I might give it a shot

Thanks, if that’s it than I might give it a shot

Yeah there’s no other surgical scenes. I think you’d like it otherwise

Double header with my wife tonight

Are You There God? It's Me Margaret- so good, so cute. If that best casting Oscar was being awarded this year, I think this gets my vote. All the kids are perfect in their roles. This is up there with 8th Grade and Florida Project for the honest, real portrayal of kids on screen.

Past Lives- 2nd watch for me, 1st for my wife. She was real hesitant but she got sucked in and her phone disappeared real quick. I liked it even more the 2nd viewing. This is a masterpiece and such mature storytelling from a 1st time writer and director. So much in yun. It's not quite In the Mood For Love but I think it's heading in that direction.

Last edited:
16yo floppinho had some friends over for a pre party, so the wife and I and 12yo floopinha decided to go see a movie.

The wife picked Poor Things...which I hadn't heard of, but liked the image of Willem Defoe in the marketing.

I mentioned we brought our 12yo daughter?

16yo floppinho had some friends over for a pre party, so the wife and I and 12yo floopinha decided to go see a movie.

The wife picked Poor Things...which I hadn't heard of, but liked the image of Willem Defoe in the marketing.

that was a choice lol

Living is on Netflix. Bill Nighy got an Oscar nom last year for it and wow, it's quite a film. Written by the incomparable Kazuo Ishiguro based on a film by Kurosawa. It's very English (duh it's a Ishiguro movie) but it is so lovely, the score is quite nice and the cinematography is gorgeous. Such a lovely film and it's cool it got highlighted by his Oscar nom last year.

Living is on Netflix. Bill Nighy got an Oscar nom last year for it and wow, it's quite a film. Written by the incomparable Kazuo Ishiguro based on a film by Kurosawa. It's very English (duh it's a Ishiguro movie) but it is so lovely, the score is quite nice and the cinematography is gorgeous. Such a lovely film and it's cool it got highlighted by his Oscar nom last year.
Watched that one on a flight last year. Agree on that. I did not have highest expectations because I love the original so much, but pretty well done.

Sticking with Yorgos we went with Dogtooth last night
That was definitely a tough watch, mainly because I had a hard time reading the subtitles seems like it was always white letters over someone’s white shirt

Watched that one on a flight last year. Agree on that. I did not have highest expectations because I love the original so much, but pretty well done.

Oddly enough, I watched it on a flight last year as well. I agree that it was lovely. Bill Nighy is a treasure.

Watched Barbie on MAX last night and bailed 40 minutes into it - I just didn't "get it" and I did not laugh once if it was supposed to be a comedy.
That's almost exactly where I stopped and with the same feelings.
I don't think they really knew what they wanted to do with this film - then again it was super popular so I guess they did something right (I just couldn't find it).

Watched Rainman with kids (13 and 10) for the first time in decades (last time might have been in theater). Great movie for kids to learn more about the challenges some of their classmates face. And a masterpiece of a movie. Dustin Hoffman...wow.

And that scene toward the end. Sniff.

I laughed all the way through Barbie, think it's a good movie and it has it's charms. Gosling Ken discovering the Patriarchy was great!

One of my favorite lines from early on: Barbie-"We don't have Genitals." worker-"Thats ok" 🤣
I’ll decline watching that.

Watched Barbie on MAX last night and bailed 40 minutes into it - I just didn't "get it" and I did not laugh once if it was supposed to be a comedy.
That's almost exactly where I stopped and with the same feelings.
Do any of you have daughters?
Yes. She had no interest in Barbie, just like her mother didn't.
Wife and daughter also no interest in the toy. We all enjoyed the movie fine, even if we weren't jumpy&quo about it.

Btw... I thought Poor Things was fantastic. Acting, writing, direction and especially art direction all tip top. Cast was hilarious... Especially Ruffalo. And Stones performance was incredible. Might be easy to lose track of that with how much nudity/sex there is and how nutty the character is... But she played it amazingly.

Anyone But You - I'll start with the good. Sydney Sweeney is incredible to look at. That's the only good thing about this stinker. The writing is awful. Sweeney put in a flat performance that didn't fit the tone of a rom-com. There was no chemistry between the actors. The characters were all awful - I hated almost everyone. And, like a Three's Company episode, it was built on dumb misunderstanding after dumb misunderstanding. Just a bad movie.

We saw Anatomy of a Fall... Wasn't quite sure what it was supposed to be. I guess I was a little captivated by the whodunnit factor, but not enough. Did have Jehny Beth from Savages (band) at least.

Anybody else watch this and come away feeling like it was great? Like, Palme d'or worthy?

Anyone But You - I'll start with the good. Sydney Sweeney is incredible to look at. That's the only good thing about this stinker. The writing is awful. Sweeney put in a flat performance that didn't fit the tone of a rom-com. There was no chemistry between the actors. The characters were all awful - I hated almost everyone. And, like a Three's Company episode, it was built on dumb misunderstanding after dumb misunderstanding. Just a bad movie.
I'm so tired of the misunderstanding or the small deception that goes on too long to be revealed as the basis of every rom-com.

We saw Anatomy of a Fall... Wasn't quite sure what it was supposed to be. I guess I was a little captivated by the whodunnit factor, but not enough. Did have Jehny Beth from Savages (band) at least.

Anybody else watch this and come away feeling like it was great? Like, Palme d'or worthy?

I liked it a lot. I’d probably give it Best Picture to be honest, at least out of what I’ve seen.

I liked it a lot. I’d probably give it Best Picture to be honest, at least out of what I’ve seen.
What did you like about it?

It was fine for me, but I'm not getting more out of it... Curious what I'm missing.

What did you like about it?

It was fine for me, but I'm not getting more out of it... Curious what I'm missing.

Thought it was really well acted. Felt like I was watching real people, not actors, if that makes sense
Also just liked the ambiguity of it and enjoyed the courtroom stuff

I didn't hate Leave the World Behind but there was potential for a lot more and there were so many questionable actions and things that happened. I mean, the guy walks onto the beach and notices a watch in the sand before seeing an entire destroyed plane littering the coastline? The ending is what it is, you really don't need to know what happened after that. I was fine with leaving it to the imagination and I'm usually not. Still, not a movie I would recommend.

Watched "Thanksgiving" on Netflix Saturday night.

It was entertaining. Some creative (and some gory) kills, however, the acting was terrible and the ending ......well......it was impossible.

It was entertaining. Some creative (and some gory) kills, however, the acting was terrible and the ending ......well......it was impossible.
Saw it in the theater. Fun movie. Thought it was great.

Saw it in the theater. Fun movie. Thought it was great.
I enjoyed it overall. However, unlike other slasher flicks, the ending and reveal was terrible. Rewatch it and you will see several instances that are literally impossible.

The Color Purple on Max. It was fine but I prefer the original. The performances were good but something about the look of it bothered me. Loooed almost CGI like a Marvel movie? Not sure I am capable of exploring what I mean exactly but it didn’t fit the story which is pretty gritty and rough. Also, the songs weren’t very memorable. I don’t think the musical element added anything.

Togo on Disney+. Very good, probably excellent if you have a pooch, family movie.
It's based on the true story of an Alaskan Musher played by Willem Dafoe and his lead sled dog Togo. The end credits (if that's what they're called) had one chuckle worthy factoid.

Two Paws Up

X

Yep, watched another A24 movie even though I thought I'd sworn them off.

I get that it's an homage to 70's style slasher pics - but ultimately I found it, quite frankly, dull.

X

Yep, watched another A24 movie even though I thought I'd sworn them off.

I get that it's an homage to 70's style slasher pics - but ultimately I found it, quite frankly, dull.
I started watching this and shut it down after about 20 mins before anything had happened.

Decided to end the month with a few movies for Black History Month

' Round Midnight fantastic performance by real life jazz legend Dexter Gordon. The musical performances here by guys like Dex, Herbie Hancock, Bobby Hutcherson make this not just a good film about addiction, aging, legacy and companionship but also an essential jazz concert film.

One False Move Carl Franklin made a neo noir/crime gem. This is a grimy *** violent flick. 3 murderers on the run, 2 LA detectives on the hunt and a local small town Arkansas police chief connects them both.

The Color Purple (2023) see a couple posts above, disappointing

Cooley High I really like this kind of teen/high school/coming of age flick. This is Dazed and Confused, American Graffiti, Fast Times for 1960s Southside Chicago. It was my second viewing and I enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time through. One of the best soundtracks of all time and I love how fun the editing is letting the music really accentuate what's happening on screen.

Moonlight I feel the same as I did when I saw it in 2016 or 17. Well made, good movie but wasn't special to me like it seemed to be for a lot of people at the time. If we are talking the work of Barry Jenkins, I actually prefer The Underground Railroad and If Beale Street Could Talk

Last edited:
I havent watched many movies this month
Dressed to Kill 1980
Damascus Cover 2018
Cleaner 2008

I am leaving for 3 weeks so probably wont watch any movies in March

One False Move Carl Franklin made a neo noir/crime gem. This is a grimy *** violent flick. 3 murderers on the run, 2 LA detectives on the hunt and a local small town Arkansas police chief connects them both.

I watched this one as well this month. Great performances top to bottom and a very unique narrative structure.
Very cool movie. I wish Franklin had gotten more directing gigs. One False Move and Devil in a Blue Dress are a nice nenoir combo.

Users who are viewing this thread