What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trivia: QB oh-fers (1 Viewer)

CalBear

Footballguy
Pat White went 0-for-5 passing in his rookie season. Since 1960, several other QBs have gone 0-for-5 on a season. Two of those went on to be starting QBs in the NFL, both for a different team than they played for in their 0-for-5 season. Who are those two?

It looks like no QB has ever had a season total worse than 0-for-5.

One caveat: One of the answers, some sources list as 0-for-4, others as 0-for-5 in the specified season.

Pat White went 0-for-5 passing in his rookie season. Since 1960, several other QBs have gone 0-for-5 on a season. Two of those went on to be starting QBs in the NFL, both for a different team than they played for in their 0-for-5 season. Who are those two?It looks like no QB has ever had a season total worse than 0-for-5.One caveat: One of the answers, some sources list as 0-for-4, others as 0-for-5 in the specified season.
Pretty sure Brett Favre is one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat White went 0-for-5 passing in his rookie season. Since 1960, several other QBs have gone 0-for-5 on a season. Two of those went on to be starting QBs in the NFL, both for a different team than they played for in their 0-for-5 season. Who are those two?It looks like no QB has ever had a season total worse than 0-for-5.One caveat: One of the answers, some sources list as 0-for-4, others as 0-for-5 in the specified season.
Favre is indeed one; 0-5 (0-4 by some stat sources) for Atlanta with 2 INTs and a sack for a safety in his rookie year.

CalBear said:
Ilov80s said:
CalBear said:
Favre is indeed one; 0-5 (0-4 by some stat sources) for Atlanta with 2 INTs and a sack for a safety in his rookie year.
He sucked. Whatever happened to him?

CalBear said:
0 for 5 was the old number. It was adjusted to 0 for 4 I assume by Elias, which would make 0 for 4 the offical tally. I don't know why it was adjusted, though. As for the other player, I first thought of Len Dawson and Steve Bono. Both had ignominious beginnings, but neither is the answer to your question.Bono was 1 for 10 as a Vikings rookie in 1985.Dawson was 2 for 4 as a Steelers rookie in 1957. Dawson wouldn't work as the answer to your question anyway because his rookie season came prior to 1960.

Steve Ramsey was drafted by the Saints in 1970 and went 0 for 1 that year. He played with Denver from 1971-76. He was their regular starter the year before they went to their first Super Bowl.

Again, not quite good enough to answer the question.

Trent Green was another guy I though of here. He was 0 for 1 as a rookie with Washington.

CalBear said:
0 for 5 was the old number. It was adjusted to 0 for 4 I assume by Elias, which would make 0 for 4 the offical tally. I don't know why it was adjusted, though. As for the other player, I first thought of Len Dawson and Steve Bono. Both had ignominious beginnings, but neither is the answer to your question.Bono was 1 for 10 as a Vikings rookie in 1985.Dawson was 2 for 4 as a Steelers rookie in 1957. Dawson wouldn't work as the answer to your question anyway because his rookie season came prior to 1960.
Steve Bono's 1-for-10 is an answer to a couple of other trivia questions--the lowest completion percentage among players with at least one completion, for example.I should give a hint. The other QB finished his stint as a starter on a team that lost 13 games in a row. The following year, he was replaced by a QB who is now in the Hall of Fame.

CalBear said:
0 for 5 was the old number. It was adjusted to 0 for 4 I assume by Elias, which would make 0 for 4 the offical tally. I don't know why it was adjusted, though.
It was adjusted because the pass attempt in question was a pass that was batted back at the line of scrimmage and actually caught by Favre. Because the ball never reached the line of scrimmage, it was later ruled a backwards pass, or in effect a lateral.

I should give a hint. The other QB finished his stint as a starter on a team that lost 13 games in a row. The following year, he was replaced by a QB who is now in the Hall of Fame.
With that hint, I thought about Warren Moon and Terry Bradshaw. The Oilers were 2-14 the year before Moon came aboard. Did they lose 13 in a row? That I'd have to look up. The Steelers were 1-13 in 1969 and then drafted Bradshaw for the next year. Again, did they lose 13 in a row? **** Shiner was the regular starter in 1969 so I thought he could be the answer. I looked it up. He's not. He went 0 for 1 as a rookie for Washington in 1964. He did go 0 for 5 in 1966. He then moved on to the Browns for one season. He was then with the Steelers for 1968 and 1969. He finished out his career as a backup with the Giants, Falcons, and Patriots.

CalBear said:
0 for 5 was the old number. It was adjusted to 0 for 4 I assume by Elias, which would make 0 for 4 the offical tally. I don't know why it was adjusted, though.
It was adjusted because the pass attempt in question was a pass that was batted back at the line of scrimmage and actually caught by Favre. Because the ball never reached the line of scrimmage, it was later ruled a backwards pass, or in effect a lateral.
The pass that you're talking about was Brett's first with the Pack. I can't imagine that lightning struck twice and the same thing happened in Atlanta. I could be wrong, though.
If you're talking about **** Shiner, he was 0/1 as a rookie and 0/5 in his third year.
He's not the answer to this question, but he is the answer to, "Best QB name in NFL history?"

CalBear said:
The pass that you're talking about was Brett's first with the Pack. I can't imagine that lightning struck twice and the same thing happened in Atlanta. I could be wrong, though.
You're probably right. I couldn't remember exactly considering it was nearly 20 years ago. Given the criteria, I was assuming. My bad. I just knew that Favre's first NFL completion was to himself. Just couldn't recall what uniform he was wearing at the time.

CalBear said:
If you're talking about **** Shiner, he was 0/1 as a rookie and 0/5 in his third year.
He's not the answer to this question, but he is the answer to, "Best QB name in NFL history?"
Actually, **** Shiner is the correct answer to this question as well. If you read the original post carefully, the question is actually:"Who went 0-5 in a season then later went on to start for a different NFL team than the one he went 0-5 for?"

It just happened that White and Favre both did it in their rookie seasons and Shiner did it in his third.

He started 9 games for the '69 Steelers (1-13 after starting 1-0) then was replaced in 1970 by Bradshaw.

Actually, **** Shiner is the correct answer to this question as well. If you read the original post carefully, the question is actually:"Who went 0-5 in a season then later went on to start for a different NFL team than the one he went 0-5 for?"It just happened that White and Favre both did it in their rookie seasons and Shiner did it in his third.He started 9 games for the '69 Steelers (1-13 after starting 1-0) then was replaced in 1970 by Bradshaw.
Thanks.I got thrown off by the first sentence with the reference to White having done it last year as a rookie.

**** Shiner is the answer I was looking for (and yes, definitely a member of the All-Name team).

When is the Historical Data Dominator going to get stats from before 1960? (Although neither of Chase's finds would count, as they didn't go on to be a starter after their oh-fer season).

Users who are viewing this thread