What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (2 Viewers)

Wow, Early Autumn: A Story of a Lady (1927) by Louis Bromfield was a slog for two reasons:
1. Carnegie Library has over 2.5 million books but they didn't have this Pulitzer prize winner so I had to read it on my computer (thanks Google books)
2. It was basically a novel as soap opera

Surprise, surprise, the story of another rich family. Secrets and lies, drama ensues. :sleep:

34 down, 64 to go.

Next up: The Bridge of San Luis Rey (1928) by Thornton Wilder.
After that another Google books exercise for the 1929 winner.

About halfway through The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko.

A bit of adventure and a bit of history. A must read for anyone who loves the Grand Canyon or fantasizes about rafting it.

Blurb:
In the spring of 1983, massive flooding along the length of the Colorado River confronted a team of engineers at the Glen Canyon Dam with an unprecedented emergency that may have resulted in the most catastrophic dam failure in history. In the midst of this crisis, the decision to launch a small wooden dory named “The Emerald Mile” at the head of the Grand Canyon, just fifteen miles downstream from the Glen Canyon Dam, seemed not just odd, but downright suicidal.

The Emerald Mile, at one time slated to be destroyed, was rescued and brought back to life by Kenton Grua, the man at the oars, who intended to use this flood as a kind of hydraulic sling-shot. The goal was to nail the all-time record for the fastest boat ever propelled—by oar, by motor, or by the grace of God himself—down the entire length of the Colorado River from Lee’s Ferry to Lake Mead. Did he survive? Just barely. Now, this remarkable, epic feat unfolds here, in The Emerald Mile.

I am probably going to go on a non fiction/historical fiction/classics binge after indulging on popcorn/thriller/espionage series the last few years.

In my library:
Bill Bryson: A Short History of Nearly Everything, One Summer - America 1927
Cormac McCarthy: Blood Meridian, Suttree, The Road
Edmund Norris: The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (half way through), Colonel Roosevelt, Theodore Rex
Matt Braun: Dakota
Edward Abbey: Desert Solitaire (read a few years back), Monkey Wrench Gang
George Steinbeck: East of Eden
SC Gwynne: Empire of the Summer Moon
David Grann: Killers of the Flower Moon
Charles Dickens: Our Mutual Friend
Peter Attia: Outlive
Kurt Vonnegut: Slaughterhouse Five
Candice Millard: The River of Doubt
Ron Chernow: Washington: A Life

I assume I will get to all of these at some point in the coming years, are there any that should go to the top of the list?

I am probably going to go on a non fiction/historical fiction/classics binge after indulging on popcorn/thriller/espionage series the last few years.

In my library:
Edmund Norris: The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (half way through), Colonel Roosevelt, Theodore Rex

I assume I will get to all of these at some point in the coming years, are there any that should go to the top of the list?

Blood Meridian and Slaughterhouse Five.

In my library:

My votes are The Road and Killers of the Flower Moon. The Road is one of the very few books that I do or even have re-read.

Wow, Early Autumn: A Story of a Lady (1927) by Louis Bromfield was a slog for two reasons:
1. Carnegie Library has over 2.5 million books but they didn't have this Pulitzer prize winner so I had to read it on my computer (thanks Google books)
2. It was basically a novel as soap opera

Surprise, surprise, the story of another rich family. Secrets and lies, drama ensues. :sleep:

34 down, 64 to go.

Next up: The Bridge of San Luis Rey (1928) by Thornton Wilder.
After that another Google books exercise for the 1929 winner.
Kudos to you. I wish I had the reading prowess to tackle a chore like this. Pulitzers probably aren't my speed overall, but I've often thought about doing something similar for sci-fi or horror novel winners.

In my library:

Love a lot of stuff in there…. Edmund Morris trilogy and Millard’s River of Doubt get my votes. But I’m all about all things Teddy Roosevelt.

Read David Grann’s The Wager in just a few days. Could not put it down. If you liked Grann’s The Lost City of Z or Killers of the Flower Moon, similar where history that reads like a novel. Incredible story. I see Scorcese and Leonardo DiCaprio already attached to the movie version of The Wager — looking forward to that one.

Read David Grann’s The Wager in just a few days. Could not put it down. If you liked Grann’s The Lost City of Z or Killers of the Flower Moon, similar where history that reads like a novel. Incredible story. I see Scorcese and Leonardo DiCaprio already attached to the movie version of The Wager — looking forward to that one.
I posted about this one a while back. Great book. I can't believe ANY of those people survived.

I think I read it's already been optioned for a film - maybe by Scorcese?

Going to try this audiobook on Spotify thing with The Wager. That sounds interesting, and non-fiction seems to work best for me when trying to listen to a book.

I got through a couple books about Radiohead and then Killers of the Flower Moon. Now I am trying to sprinkle in some fiction, so I started back up on Leviathan Wakes. One of these years I will get through that book and onto the rest of the series. I also am thinking about ways to mix in a novel when focusing on a director in my movie watches. After watching There Will Be Blood, it got me thinking about trying Oil! or Inherent Vice. Something else I've never tried is reading movie novelizations. I've seen lists that have ones like Alien rated highly.

just finished: Peter Zeihan non-fiction....The End of The World Is Just The Beginning:
2019 was the last great year for the world economy.
For generations, everything has been getting faster, better, and cheaper. Finally, we reached the point that almost anything you could ever want could be sent to your home within days - even hours - of when you decided you wanted it.
America made that happen, but now America has lost interest in keeping it going.
Globe-spanning supply chains are only possible with the protection of the U.S. Navy. The American dollar underpins internationalized energy and financial markets. Complex, innovative industries were created to satisfy American consumers. American security policy forced warring nations to lay down their arms. Billions of people have been fed and educated as the American-led trade system spread across the globe.
All of this was artificial. All this was temporary. All this is ending.
In The End of the World is Just the Beginning, author and geopolitical strategist Peter Zeihan maps out the next world: a world where countries or regions will have no choice but to make their own goods, grow their own food, secure their own energy, fight their own battles, and do it all with populations that are both shrinking and aging.
The list of countries that make it all work is smaller than you think. Which means everything about our interconnected world - from how we manufacture products, to how we grow food, to how we keep the lights on, to how we shuttle stuff about, to how we pay for it all - is about to change.
In customary Zeihan fashion, rather than yelling fire in the geoeconomic theatre, he narrates the accumulation of matchsticks, gasoline, and dynamite in the hands of the oblivious audience, suggesting we might want to call the fire department.
A world ending. A world beginning. Zeihan brings readers along for an illuminating (and a bit terrifying) ride packed with foresight, wit, and his trademark irreverence.

half way thru: Michio Kaku non-fiction....Quantum Supremacy:
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • An exhilarating tour of humanity's next great technological achievement—quantum computing—which may supercharge artificial intelligence, solve some of humanity's biggest problems, like global warming, world hunger, and incurable disease, and eventually illuminate the deepest mysteries of science, by the bestselling author of The God Equation. • “Expertly describes and rectifies common misconceptions about quantum computing." —Science

"[Kaku's] lucid prose and thought process make abundant sense of this technological turning point.” —The New York Times Book Review

The runaway success of the microchip processor may be reaching its end. Running up against the physical constraints of smaller and smaller sizes, traditional silicon chips are not likely to prove useful in solving humanity’s greatest challenges, from climate change, to global starvation, to incurable diseases. But the quantum computer, which harnesses the power and complexity of the atomic realm, already promises to be every bit as revolutionary as the transistor and microchip once were. Its unprecedented gains in computing power herald advancements that could change every aspect of our daily lives.

Automotive companies, medical researchers, and consulting firms are betting on quantum computing, hoping to exploit its power to design more efficient vehicles, create life-saving new drugs, and streamline industries to revolutionize the economy. But this is only the beginning. Quantum computers could allow us to finally create nuclear fusion reactors that create clean, renewable energy without radioactive waste or threats of meltdown. They could help us crack the biological processes that generate natural, cheap fertilizer and enable us to feed the world’s growing populations. And they could unravel the fiendishly difficult protein folding that lies at the heart of previously incurable diseases like Alzheimer’s, ALS, and Parkinson’s, helping us to live longer, healthier lives. There is not a single problem humanity faces that couldn’t be addressed by quantum computing. Told with Kaku’s signature clarity and enthusiasm, Quantum Supremacy is the story of this exciting frontier and the race to claim humanity’s future.

Both incredibly interesting and entertaining

A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay. I think recommended here. Was good not great, creepy enough at times, and an interesting twist.

The Hollowing by Robert Holdstock.

I have seen his novel Mythago Wood on several top 100 fantasy novels, and The Hollowing is the first of his novels I’ve come across.

So far kind of Tolkien like in the feeling in the setting of the Ryhope Wood, but no Elves or Dwarves. There is definitely a quest but not a sword and shield quest.
It is kind of slow but I’m still interested 100+ pages in.

An aside, I rarely buy books from Amazon or Barnes and Noble. I have a long list of books that I search for visiting used bookstores. For example when visiting a new city I love hitting a chain bookstore called Half Price Books. I just enjoy a treasure hunt looking for some more obscure fantasy and older science fiction books. Too much of life and a on demand and I enjoy the delayed gratification of finding one of the books I am looking for after a long search.

Ok maybe the last one I posted (Early Autumn: A Story of a Lady) put you off ever reading a Pulitzer from the early 1900s.
Hopefully this one turns it around.
The Bridge of San Luis Rey (1928) by Thornton Wilder (who you may know from his plays: Our Town and A Doll's House) was both fantastic and a ridiculously short read (publisher basically forced him to add illustrations and use absurdly wide margins to stretch the number of pages so they could sell the book for $2.50).
One sentence synopsis: 5 people fall to their deaths when the bridge of San Luis Rey collapses and a friar, witnessing the event sets out to determine whether it was intentional by God or a random accident.
Next up, another Google books, computer only endeavor: Scarlet Sister Mary (1929) by Julia Peterkin

35 down, 63 to go

Didn't want to jinx myself, but I've been enjoying it enough to throw it out there that I have beasted out the first 1 1/2 books of The Expanse. :lol: I've gone back and forth so many times between finishing the show vs. reading the books. Just started last week, and I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I've been WANTING to get back in to read. Mild observations are that I for sure didn't pick up a big piece to the history of the protomolecule the first time around and tv show Avasarala I like better so far, but I liked book Miller better. 📖

The Haunted Forest Tour by James Moore and Jeff Strand. I have been wanting to get back into reading and I love end of the world/horror books. The idea for this book is a forest has sprung up in the middle of a desert in New Mexico. This forest is home to tons of monsters of all shapes and sizes. As time goes on, a company decides to build a road through part of the forest and run trams so people can view the monsters (ala Jurassic Park). Of course things fall apart and there is a lot of death. I am only half way through, but I am enjoying the read.

Completed Scarlet Sister Mary (1929 Pulitzer winner) by Julia Peterkin. It was considered obscene by some at the time; in fact, one of the Pulitzer voters resigned in protest after it won. The notion that this book was obscene is ludicrous, but it was almost 100 years ago. It is the story of an orphan on an abandoned plantation, who was raised by an older relative, married the wrong man who later abandoned her, and then slept around and had multiple ******* children. I had a little problem with Peterkin's attempt at the post-reconstruction vernacular. The timeframe is never mentioned but I think it took place in the 1890 - 1910 range. All in all, a very entertaining book.

36 down/62 to go. Next up: 1930 winner Laughing Boy by Oliver LaFarge.

Lincoln Highway. Just finished. Worth reading if you like his first 2 books although not as good.

Trust is really well written. Just started. Same for cloud cuckoo land.

Just finished Laughing Boy by Oliver La Farge, which I enjoyed a great deal. This was La Farge's 1st 📖and he won a Pulitzer. Well done.
This marks 3 in a row where the author is from a completely different environment than the subject, whereas the 1st three where rich people writing about rich people.

This was a story of a young Navajo where boy meets girl. Boy marries girl. Girl has secrets. And ... well, I won't spoil it. Suffice to say it was a good yarn interestingly told. :thumbup:

37 down/61 to go. Next up: 1931 winner Years of Grace by Margaret Ayer Barnes.

Finished Wheel of Time reread. Started on a trip back through GoT books. Haven't read them since before the TV show.

I finally completed the long slog through Years of Grace by Margaret Ayer Barnes. Boy did I hate this book. For one, it was pretty much another rich family soap opera that I believe was semi-autobiographical (main character and the author both attended Bryn Mawr, but I have no motivation to see if that is the only thing in common).

Secondly, it was mind-numbingly repetitive. Barnes must have used the word twinkle or twinkling at least 50 times in a 580 page book. If it was eyes that were twinkling, somthing was being said "with a twinkle." I'm not sure where the editor was on this one. He must have abandoned his post I guess.

Next up, another of the few books so far that I'd actually heard of before starting this exercise: the 1932 winner, The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

If anyone is interested Humble Bundle has all 39 of the Discworld books for $18. It's on Kobo. I managed to convert it over to Kindle (a bit painful to do). Still, this series for this price is pretty incredible.

Asking for a friend: How do you convert this to Kindle?
Ok. Here is how I did it. Using Kobo web you can download books - DRM ones will download as acsm files. Install Adobe Digital Editions and setup a new Adobe ID and authorize it. More on this later. Use Adobe to convert to EPUB. Then download Calibre and the addon linked below. Once that addon is on if you load the DRM Epub int Calibre and then save it it should be DRM free and you can send it to Kindle.

I will say that you should set this up and get something free from Kobo to run through this process first. I had issues with Adobe not liking the Kobo book as I had a preexisting Kobo account. I made a new account and downloaded a free book (if it downloads as acsm it has DRM) and make sure Adobe likes it. I used "A Bookshop to Die For" - free and DRM protected. Probably biggest thing - just make sure the process works before remitting the coupon. Also, when you do remit the coupon on Kobo make sure to click all thirty nine books individually - you get what you click!

And, for the record, nothing shady here. I paid my $18 for the books. I just have a Kindle and like everything on there. Reading Guards! Guards! now. Thread I found on read order:

Last edited:
I'm currently halfway through Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell who's best known as the author of Cloud Atlas. This one is a fictional biography of an eponymously named sixties psychedelic rock band which falls right in my wheelhouse. There are multiple narrators and numerous flashbacks. There are also a bunch of contemporary celebrity cameos which I could have probably done without.

Mitchell's novels are all set in an interwoven universe so there are also references to characters and events from his other books. These go over my head because I've only ever read one of his other books (Black Swan Green) many years ago.

Mitchell's novels are all set in an interwoven universe so there are also references to characters and events from his other books. These go over my head because I've only ever read one of his other books (Black Swan Green) many years ago.
All of his stuff is good, but I'd particularly recommend The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet.

Wow.

I just finished reading The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, the 1932 Pulitzer prize winner. And to say it got a little dusty in the room where I was reading it would be an understatement. This book packs an emotional wallop.
This is the best of the Pulitzer prize winners that I've read to date (this was the 14th awarded).

I highly recommend it.

39 down, 59 to go.

I think I'll be taking a little break on this endeavor to read The Three-body Problem trilogy by Liu Cixin once it is available (apparently this is being made into a streaming series somewhere).

What are we not reading? Unless something changes, 2024 makes 13 years since George RR Martin and Patrick Rothfuss have published the next book in their respective series. Please just turn the rights over to Brandon Sanderson already and bam he will write 2 more 1,000 page tomes for each series.

What are we not reading? Unless something changes, 2024 makes 13 years since George RR Martin and Patrick Rothfuss have published the next book in their respective series. Please just turn the rights over to Brandon Sanderson already and bam he will write 2 more 1,000 page tomes for each series.
The Sandman begs to differ.
Oh, F all that. Finish what you started, big guy! ;)

In all seriousness, I get it from both sides and am mostly over it. Yes, selfishly I would like to read his vision of the series to hopefully get the show out of my head, but also it's been over a decade and I would probably have to re-read everything at this point anyway and not sure that would happen.

I haven't been updating here, but I've been on a decent reading kick lately.

I am finally starting Book 4 of the The Expanse again. I did a quick re-read of the first couple and I got books 6 and 7 for Christmas so it's made me want to dive back in. I was in a holding pattern for both versions and that was stupid because I was loving both formats. I was indecisive if I wanted read the books before finishing up the show and stalled out on both. I might slowly throw in the show rewatch now as well since it's fresh in my head.

Other than that I randomly grabbed Factfulness at the used store, and that was one of the better reads in a while for me. It's on the lines of a Gladwell or Freakonomics book if something like that interests you. What I started the other day is The Immortality Key after hearing the author on the Making Sense podcast. Again, right up my alley and a bit weird.

The Sandman begs to differ.
Oh, F all that. Finish what you started, big guy! ;)

In all seriousness, I get it from both sides and am mostly over it. Yes, selfishly I would like to read his vision of the series to hopefully get the show out of my head, but also it's been over a decade and I would probably have to re-read everything at this point anyway and not sure that would happen.
I’m pretty much over it too, I just like to complain once a year.

Last book finished The Magician King by Lev Grossman. I can see the appeal, kind of edgy, fantasy for grown ups, but story is a bit slow moving for me with characters I don’t love. I’ll probably read the 3rd book but it is at the bottom of my next read list.

Don't get me started on that fat tub of goo. FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED BIG BOI!!!!
SC Gwynne: Empire of the Summer Moon - This is a little know excellent book, if you like history.
Good read. Rogan was talking about it (or rather does quite a bit) so I picked it up. Interesting look into the rise, domination and eventual fall of the Comanche's. Pretty quick read.

Listening to Atlas Shrugged, really liking the audio on this. I've tried to read it but the size just makes it impossible for em to get through. Everything about this book still rings true today.

After doing a re-watch recently, reading Generation Kill by Evan Wright. Just checking the box on this one.

The Wager was great. I am complaining my *** off if I am out in the cold for more than 20mins. I read this and watched Society of the Snow this week. I can not fathom what people have and can endure. The conditions sounded hellish on The Wager before they even got shipwrecked.

Almost all of the Scot Harvath books by Brad Thor are on sale for $2.99 on Amazon.

I'm currently halfway through Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell who's best known as the author of Cloud Atlas. This one is a fictional biography of an eponymously named sixties psychedelic rock band which falls right in my wheelhouse. There are multiple narrators and numerous flashbacks. There are also a bunch of contemporary celebrity cameos which I could have probably done without.

I finished this one. There was a lot to like about it but I thought Mitchell tried to cram too much plot into a story of a band that only lasted long enough to release two albums in 1967-8. A couple of chapters were set in San Francisco; one of the characters described his walk down Haight Street to Market Street but forgot to mention that he passed by the house where I live.

I always alternate between fiction and non-fiction so I've moved onto Palo Alto: A History of California, Capitalism and the World by Malcolm Harris. It's a Marxist history of Silicon Valley that stirred up some controversy when it was published last year.

Users who are viewing this thread