What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Nathaniel “Tank” Dell, HOU (1 Viewer)

Checking in after that first half...
5/65/TD, seems poised to have a decent breakout rookie season
Likely get lost for several weeks at a time too, it won't be as easy every week as it was 1st half tonight
He's not tall as I recall, pretty small but solid build, super fast, not gonna be a huge red zone target IMO.

Texans WR Tank Dell caught 5-of-8 targets for 65 yards and a touchdown in Thursday’s preseason opener against the Patriots.

Dell was also the intended target on an ugly C.J. Stroud interception. The miscue was not the wideout’s fault. For his touchdown catch from Davis Mills, Dell made a ridiculous move at the front left corner of the end zone to get open with only seconds remaining in the first half. Dell was frequently running free against the Patriots’ second-team defense. Ludicrously productive for the University of Houston, Dell has had a strong camp to date. He’s an intriguing late-round flier, especially in PPR leagues, though it remains possible he can’t dislodge Robert Woods from the slot. Notably, Woods was kept in street clothes along with a number of other Texans veterans on Thursday evening.

It’s preseason but he showed a lot last night. Gets open at will and lightening quick. He could see 80 receptions as a rookie. Stroud is going to look to the guy that’s consistently open.

It’s preseason but he showed a lot last night. Gets open at will and lightening quick. He could see 80 receptions as a rookie. Stroud is going to look to the guy that’s consistently open.

I loved watching his college tape. His short area burst is insane. He gets a little too crazy with his release footwork sometimes - very exaggerated, bit slow to get into his route - but he is outstanding at contested catches for someone so small (5'8" 165 IIRC.) Definitely rooting for him, such a fun player to watch. 29 TDs his last 2 years, 9th in YAC last year and 11th in forced missed tackles after the catch last season. "Human joystick" is a pretty apt description. Older (24 in October) bc he did a year at an HBCU + a year in JuCo before 3 years at U of Houston. Obviously on the extreme outlier edge size wise but super tough kid, and honestly landed in about the best spot just in terms of wide open opportunity. They're gonna suck again so at least be entertaining. #freetank

I grabbed him in the third in 2 out of 5 rookie drafts. I can’t pretend I’m not a bit excited by what I saw last night.

He's adorable, and it's a cute name, but I am trying to win fantasy titles.
Nothing's wrong with hanging onto him as potential lottery pick that could end up with major ROI. Then sell him high (package him with other players to upgrade one of your core players or starters).

Nothing's wrong with hanging onto him as potential lottery pick that could end up with major ROI. Then sell him high (package him with other players to upgrade one of your core players or starters).
What player that size has ever hit major ROI?

what exactly are you looking for in a late round rookie pick? this guy is the definition of a winning lotto ticket, if there ever was one as a rookie.

maybe he falls flat. maybe he's mediocre. but he just put in his first NFL shift and looked real good doing it.

What player that size has ever hit major ROI?
Devonta Smith is the most recent example at 170 pounds.
:whistle:

some people want to fill a thread with silly snark posts, what’s wrong with that, I’d like to know?
Uh oh, they're onto me. :angry:

Sorry.
In the spirit of good fantasy discussion:

I did three rookie drafts, in one of them I took Ced Tillman (CLE) few picks before him, and in the two others I took Boutte just after him. I'll take Tillman all day long over Dell, no regrets.

Dell looks like a much better prospect than Boutte this summer. Boutte may be practice squad bound, although his TC is much better than his minicamp. I actually think I might have taken Dell over him, but Boutte was an ideal late round WR to me. If he shows he's the guy he was earlier at LSU, he's a potential WR 1. If he's a JAG, and cannot beat out Tyquan What's his name, then I cut him, and have a roster spot for the next interesting FA.

I think Dell is most likely a roster clogger. Good enough to keep, not good enough to win you anything. He holds that roster spot, and that's one more spot I cannot pick up that UDFA RB flavor of the month, or whatever. Churning the end of the roster has value, and Dell needs to be Jarvis Landry level of targets (IMO) because he's not going to be a regular red zone threat.

Keke Coutte, Tutu Atwell, Rondale Moore, I didn't own shares anywhere. Rondale hurt, because he was great in college, a much better prospect than Tank. So fun to watch. But I want the alpha, 8 targets a game, and if a guy has physical attributes that make that a crazy long shot, I will let someone else draft.

some people want to fill a thread with silly snark posts, what’s wrong with that, I’d like to know?

Sorry.

I did three rookie drafts, in one of them I took Ced Tillman (CLE) few picks before him, and in the two others I took Boutte just after him. I'll take Tillman all day long over Dell, no regrets.

Dell looks like a much better prospect than Boutte this summer. Boutte may be practice squad bound, although his TC is much better than his minicamp. I actually think I might have taken Dell over him, but Boutte was an ideal late round WR to me. If he shows he's the guy he was earlier at LSU, he's a potential WR 1. If he's a JAG, and cannot beat out Tyquan What's his name, then I cut him, and have a roster spot for the next interesting FA.

I think Dell is most likely a roster clogger. Good enough to keep, not good enough to win you anything. He holds that roster spot, and that's one more spot I cannot pick up that UDFA RB flavor of the month, or whatever. Churning the end of the roster has value, and Dell needs to be Jarvis Landry level of targets (IMO) because he's not going to be a regular red zone threat.

Keke Coutte, Tutu Atwell, Rondale Moore, I didn't own shares anywhere. Rondale hurt, because he was great in college, a much better prospect than Tank. So fun to watch. But I want the alpha, 8 targets a game, and if a guy has physical attributes that make that a crazy long shot, I will let someone else draft.
Excellent analysis. Tank looks electric in preseason games, but I cringe at the thought of a guy like Minkah Fitzpatrick getting up a head of steam and laying the wood to that guy.

I’m not sure the book is completely written on Moore yet and I think you’re being shortsighted and not seeing the new NFL trends.

It wasn’t like you had to take Dell in round 1 or round 2, he was a third round pick and while camp buzz doesn’t mean much with smaller quick twitch players (they stand out in padless practices) so far he’s looked the part - even in live game action.

I’m not sure how some one that cost nothing becomes a roster clogger - people cut bait on third round rookie picks quickly. If you’re right and he can’t stay healthy due to his size (I’ve never been sure smaller WRs get hurt more than big WRs and no one has yet shown their work), he’s be an easy cut.

This guy is lightening quick, runs incredible routes and has no real competition for targets and a rookie QB that will need to rely on targets that can get open. My guess is he’s at worst a decent depth asset in ppr leagues - but has upside. I mean you seem to be ignoring all the small successful WRs that have come into the league while rehashing the same three small WRs who haven’t yet in post after post.

Last edited:
. I mean you seem to be ignoring all the small successful WRs that have come into the league while constantly stating the same three small WRs who haven’t yet
I just keep looking at the top 32 fantasy WRs on MFL.

Also, I didn't say anything about injury. I actually think the little guys get drafted with the club not planning on giving them a heavy workload. Slots that get lots of targets are a lot heavier. I don't think NFL coaches are as optimistic about their workload as fantasy owners are.

. I mean you seem to be ignoring all the small successful WRs that have come into the league while constantly stating the same three small WRs who haven’t yet
I just keep looking at the top 32 fantasy WRs on MFL.

Also, I didn't say anything about injury. I actually think the little guys get drafted with the club not planning on giving them a heavy workload. Slots that get lots of targets are a lot heavier. I don't think NFL coaches are as optimistic about their workload as fantasy owners are.
The staff seemed to have wanted to use him two nights ago.

I get preseason isn’t always indicative of future success, but he was out there with the stating unit, and that’s a plus.

Sorry.

FWIW I got all this from your snark.

Where do you stand on Zay Flowers? Same height (allegedly) and 172lbs (165lbs for Tank).

Hard pass because of height/weight?

Sorry.

Where do you stand on Zay Flowers? Same height (allegedly) and 172lbs (165lbs for Tank).

I was just planning on heading over to take a **** in that thread actually.

My take on Zay Flowers is people are so excited about this year's Next Steve Smith that they all forgot we supposed to hate BAL WR because Lamar.

Going partially with and against mass on this one.

With mass: Guys that are that all-around size have trouble. He's outlier size. He's not even Zay Flowers or Jordan Addison. Heck, he's barely Tutu Atwell. I don't see that you'll get that great a return on your investment, unless you got him in the fourth or fifth. I'd rather have a backup RB with a path to playing time from the third this year. Bigsby and Abanikanda went 3.08 and 3.09 in our draft this year. I'd much rather have those guys, even with Abanikanda going to the Jets.

Perhaps this is the old school footballer in me, but I don't trust guys that small in the NFL. Then again, the game is changing a bit. But I watched Smith-Njigba and Addison's highlights from the other night. Gosh, are they ever small, and they've got at least two inches and ten-fifteen pounds on Tank. And Njigba took a few hits in the slot he didn't look happy about. And looked small doing it.

Against mass: Guy is running with the first team and just had a nice game last night. You're confusing process with results. Your process of not picking Dell was sound. It's a really good idea almost all of the time to steer clear of guys with that height/weight. But there's a reason guys are called potential "outliers," and that's because it happens. Just because the process of you not choosing him was correct doesn't mean he can't defy that and have a good career. I doubt it, but the possibility is there.

Sorry.

I was just planning on heading over to take a **** in that thread actually.
I know a lot of people view it through a different lens but having a good poop is one of life's great pleasures. Admittedly, probably only if it's yours.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

Against mass: Guy is running with the first team and just had a nice game last night. You're confusing process with results.
And that's cool, and his stock goes up. I would move him up.

But in terms of this summer, the hay is in the barn. I don't own him, so I'm not really analyzing whether I would move him up.

FTR Flowers combine height was 69”, and Tank was 68”. Up to you to decide how important an inch might be, but they’re both little.

Also, really really good. IMO

And that's cool, and his stock goes up. I would move him up.

But in terms of this summer, the hay is in the barn. I don't own him, so I'm not really analyzing whether I would move him up.

Right, I get that. But then why say he's not going to have a good ROI when he's a third-round rookie pick or later.

Again, your process in my mind was great. It's that the result that he might be an outlier. Doesn't matter whether you've got him or not or if the hay is in the barn or isn't. You said he'd never be a good ROI. That's different than saying your process was right, you stand by it, and you wouldn't have him because that's how you do.

You're confusing the correctness of your process with the result. He still might be a return on somebody else's investment. He went at 4.10 in our league, presumably for height/weight reasons. The GM is laughing all the way to the bank today based on last night. Will it continue? I doubt it, but there's no doubt he's moved up and has already provided an increase in that value to the GM.

Boy, that sounds way too invested in this.

I need to breathe.

Those little guys sure are *gasp* fast *gasp* and hard to *deep whooping breath* keep up with.

Kalif Raymond (5’8”) is a great trivia Q right now: which Lions player finished second to ARSB in receiving yards in 2022?

Man got paid this week (14.1M, 8M GTD.) There’s a place for the fast little man in this league. Not target hog place but lot of teams want a Scotty Miller circa 2020 type running 9 routes.

WR3 and the melancholy of infinite sadness

The GM is laughing all the way to the bank today based on last night. Will it continue? I doubt it, but there's no doubt he's moved up and has already provided an increase in that value to the GM.
Yes/no, it's not good value if you can't realize that value. I doubt the people who passed on him at 1.1-4.9 are suddenly regretting it based solely on last night.

If the guy who got him at 4.10 goes to the bank the best he's likely to get is a new off brand cryptocurrency or a sub-prime loan.

Last night was nice but the real world value likely remains unchanged.

I really liked Boutte but it's difficult to see how he would pan out after being drafted in 6th round by Patriots. They historically are notoriously hard on their rookie WRs. Maybe OC O'Brien would turn it around.

Users who are viewing this thread