What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***GameBreakers*** IDP Vet Draft (1 Viewer)

please tell me what gates showed you last year that suggests he wont keep it up.
I think Gates is the real deal. The reasons against him "keeping it up" might include having a healthier and better WR core (McCardell there all year), the general feeling that it's awfully tough for a guy to break records again for his position (receptions), and the fact that other teams might eventually counter his productivity, however slightly.But I agree that Gates should be a great one for many years. I just doubt he can match last season more than once or twice more in his career.
Gates played 9 games without & 7 games with McCardell.Without: 45 catches, 543 yds, 5 TDs. That averages out to about 5 receptions & 60 yards per game, and a TD every other game.With: 36 catches, 421 yds, 8 TDs. Also averages 5 receptions & 60 yds per game. His TD average went up to 1.1/week.Just looking at those numbers, it doesn't look like McCardell hurt him at all by being in the lineup.

In this format starting 3 TE's makes a lot of sense to me. It will be interesting to see when Heap, Witten, Shockey, and Winslow come off the board.
:yes: i was fully ready to go gates/gonzo at 12 and 17 if the opportunity came up.
He wouldn't have made it past 2.01I had targetted Gonzo or Gates at 14/15, along with the best WR available. But then, I expected the normal RB run to occur.

Can someone translate the team names? I can't figure out who owns the team named "Aaron Rudnicki."
1 Blitzkrieg914 & RatPack2 Reg

3 Rudnicki

4 Sideline Merc

5 Gringoloco & Bob Magaw

6 Cobalt Cruisin

7 PurpleHaze

8 Schniz (Warroom) - don't know FBG handle

9 De-Cleater

10 Barry Jive & the Uptown Five

11 Fighting Wombat

12 Bloom

13 StormChaser & Eagle Eye

14 OZ (aka Jayhawk)

The ones I'm most familiar with
Blitz is an FF Warroom guyI use StormChasers on FGB, HUddle and Warroom and Raging Storm on FFToday.

Jayhawk,I'm just curious as to what you had to give up to move up a spot?
I assume you're talking about his move from 1.14 to 1.13. Jayhawk gave up 4.01 for 4.10.Reasonable on both sides, I guess.

I assume you're talking about his move from 1.14 to 1.13. Jayhawk gave up 4.01 for 4.10.Reasonable on both sides, I guess.
I think so.I may never know for sure if I had to make the deal to get Moss, but I didn't want to lose the chance when the offer was reasonable.If we look back past 2004 with his injury and the year of the QB, to 2003, Moss was the #3 scorer, and 25 points higher than the next WR. He's still fairly young for a WR, and in the league that rewards the big play, if he remains in Minnesota - or even goes to another downfield passing team with a strong armed QB, he is as likely as anyone to be a top 5 player.

I think so.I may never know for sure if I had to make the deal to get Moss, but I didn't want to lose the chance when the offer was reasonable.If we look back past 2004 with his injury and the year of the QB, to 2003, Moss was the #3 scorer, and 25 points higher than the next WR. He's still fairly young for a WR, and in the league that rewards the big play, if he remains in Minnesota - or even goes to another downfield passing team with a strong armed QB, he is as likely as anyone to be a top 5 player.
Good deal Oz.I also thought Moss might go higher with the big play scoring.I think the trade rumors have some guys scared.Moss/Portis is a nice start :thumbup:

Through 4 rounds, it is obvious that TEs are the hot commodity, but one can't help but wonder if last year was an aberration, or the start of a trend. I now have Portis, Randy Moss, Charles Rogers, and Shockey, and I'm fairly pleased. Rogers is a big time gamble, but his upside is huge, he could be the #1 in Detroit next year, or 1a/1b with Roy. He's a homer pick, after taking a guy who will get points but no love from me: Shockey. No real surprises yet (after reevaluating after the first round), though a couple guys went higher than I expected, and the RBs have dropped a lot.

I think my squad is solid after 4 rounds:QB - Peyton ManningRB - Tiki Barber, Rudi JohnsonWR - Michael Clayton

Through 4 rounds, it is obvious that TEs are the hot commodity, but one can't help but wonder if last year was an aberration, or the start of a trend.
I kept struggling with that as well. In rounds 2 and 3 I predrafted in this order: HoltHarrisonDillonShockeyKW2I kept trying to move the TE's up higher in my predraft, but due to stubborness or stupidity I couldn't do it. Yes the scoring system benefits TE's, but I kept looking at the 2003 stats and decided I would gamble later on.7 of the 14 teams have TE's already, the other 7 obviously don't, so we will see which strategy worked out best. :shrug:If my next predraft goes through it will probably look like a reach, but I don't see him falling through the next 2 rounds to 6.13. As someone else said if there is someone you are targetting it is best to grab him when you can rather than hope you can get him on the turn.Edit: I am pretty satisfied so far with Willis, Holt, Harrison, and Steve Smith.Edit2: looks like my reach went through. Plummer :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Through 4 rounds, it is obvious that TEs are the hot commodity, but one can't help but wonder if last year was an aberration, or the start of a trend.
I kept struggling with that as well. In rounds 2 and 3 I predrafted in this order: HoltHarrisonDillonShockeyKW2I kept trying to move the TE's up higher in my predraft, but due to stubborness or stupidity I couldn't do it. Yes the scoring system benefits TE's, but I kept looking at the 2003 stats and decided I would gamble later on.7 of the 14 teams have TE's already, the other 7 obviously don't, so we will see which strategy worked out best. :shrug:If my next predraft goes through it will probably look like a reach, but I don't see him falling through the next 2 rounds to 6.13. As someone else said if there is someone you are targetting it is best to grab him when you can rather than hope you can get him on the turn.Edit: I am pretty satisfied so far with Willis, Holt, Harrison, and Steve Smith.Edit2: looks like my reach went through. Plummer :unsure:
I don't think anyone could place Shockey above Holt, if you think they're really close, send an offer. ;)You have a potent lineup, Jake can light it up in any week (consistency isn't there, but still...), Willis might be the next great RB, and your WRs rival anyone's. What I'm finding the most interesting, is given that all the owners are fairly experienced, we all seem to have our own plan. It really doesn't look like simple BPA or VBD dominates. Also, most people seem to want to trade down right now, which isn't too surprising really.As my Rogers pick shows, I agree completely - I don't mind reaching a little if he's a guy I want on my team.

I don't think anyone could place Shockey above Holt, if you think they're really close, send an offer. ;)You have a potent lineup, Jake can light it up in any week (consistency isn't there, but still...), Willis might be the next great RB, and your WRs rival anyone's. What I'm finding the most interesting, is given that all the owners are fairly experienced, we all seem to have our own plan. It really doesn't look like simple BPA or VBD dominates. Also, most people seem to want to trade down right now, which isn't too surprising really.As my Rogers pick shows, I agree completely - I don't mind reaching a little if he's a guy I want on my team.
yeah at this point our individual boards will really diverge. of the last 6 picks or so, about half were in my top 5 remaining, and half were anywhere from my 20th to 40th best player on the board. posistional need and our own tastes will really govern from here on out.

yeah at this point our individual boards will really diverge. of the last 6 picks or so, about half were in my top 5 remaining, and half were anywhere from my 20th to 40th best player on the board. posistional need and our own tastes will really govern from here on out.
Similarly, I have tiers right now, but as expected, the tiers get larger as we progress. (I must say, our current tier is decreasing rapidly though)

our team through 6 rounds...we got 8 picks as a result of trading out of slots that fetched, first daunte culpepper, then randy moss...QB - marc bulger, byron leftwichRB - julius jones, deshaun fosterWR - andre johnson, larry fitzgerald, lee evans, donte' stallworthwe're way to old, though... got to get younger... :^)

I am pretty pleased so far with my offense.PlummerMcGaheeHoltHarrisonSteve SmithI was going to add a TE instead of Plummer and in hindsight I maybe should have. I anticipated a QB run that never happened, now maybe I will have to add a quality backup. :unsure:

I like the way my offense came together, and think this should be a very strong starting lineup in this league:QB - Peyton Manning (1.03)RB - Tiki Barber (2.14), Rudi Johnson (4.14)WR - Michael Clayton (3.03), Drew Bennett (5.03), Muhsin Muhammad (7.03)TE - Chris Cooley (6.10)draft pick is in parentheses.I think it's a bit surprising that Muhammad was still available in the 7th round, well after guys like Ronald Curry, TJ Houshmandzadeh, and Tyrone Calico were drafted. The guy is only 30 years old right now. Sure, he'll likely wind up on another team, and certainly won't finish #1 again...but, getting him this late was a HUGE value, IMO.The early TE picks in this draft allowed me to find value at other positions. But, they are a required position and can put up some major points in this system. So, I had to bite the bullet and grab a promising young TE before they all disappeared. Cooley looks like he could become a star in Joe Gibbs' offense, and the potential release of Coles and Gardner could result in him becoming an even bigger piece of the Redskins passing game. He really came on late last year with Ramsey under center so I expect his progression to continue in 2005.

somehow I'm ending up with a high risk / reward team so farRB - PortisWR - Moss, Moss, RogersTE - ShockeyFlex - Troupe6 of the 7 starting "O" positions are filled. I like the potential here, but with 2 of these guys not having much experience and one possibly being dealt (some rumors even have the Mosses gettign swapped), there is some definite risk here.I could be the bottom team, or if things come together... :D

Well Tick, time to start paying attention....Julius Peppers (6.06, #76 overall)Keith Bulluck (7.10, #94 overall) **Johnathan Vilma (7.13, #97 overall) **I suppose the overall pick number will be more important since this is a 14-teamer compared to the Zealot's 12-team format.** Same team drafted bothI traded the 7.10 & 7.13 to move up in the 7th and get another rookie 1st. If I would have stayed, Vilma would have been selected there as well.There's going to be some serious value falling down the boards on offense, especially the older WRs who have been collectively shunned by the owners of this league.Harrison #30Horn #51Bruce #62Mason #67Muhammed #87 - #1 overall last year falls to 7.03 in a start 3-5WR leagueRod Smith #90 - Top12 in Zealots format last year...and there are more still on the board, but we promised no name-dropping ;)

And just to show how much the rules (heavy weight on TEs & de-emphasis on RBs with 0-2 starter req'd)....There are 3 RBs with an ADP in the 40s (5 Zealots, 2 Misfit & Gamebreakers) that have yet to be drafted in this league as we approach pick #100.

I know Barry. This is the part where it gets tricky. Do you go for the offensive value or the top defensive picks? :shrug:

First of all - why is it when I click on Reg's post to quote, it only inserts the quote that HE quoted without his text? These are some wacky upgrades.... :loco: And as for you Reg, I think you should draft offense until around round 25 or so... :excited: Hopefully a lot of the shaking and baking with trades will start to peter out here and we can see rounds full of predrafts. Of course I don't think that will happen unless Truth has a triple bypass and they forbid him wireless access in the cardiac unit.Who goes for what? I don't know either. But like my Fred Taylor pick, sometimes the values are simply too much to leave on the board. Yeah, I know, Fred's OLD... just turned 28 in January.... ruh roh Shaggy... :lol:

it seems like there is still some compelling value on offense... entering the phase space where there becomes diminishing returns on the offensive risk/reward, and where the IDP studs at power positions start to look mighty tempting.still, it is sometimes possible to find IDP gems late in draft & even off the street... if you can steal a stud skill position player here, hard to find guys like that off the wire... maybe we are just more confident of finding IDP value late than sleepers on the other side of the ball.we'll be joining the IDP party soon... :^) * gringo loco hipped me to rosters feature... just click on from franchise reports (as opposed to team reports), and you get a nice one page view where you can view all 14 teams complete rosters (to date).

* gringo loco hipped me to rosters feature... just click on from franchise reports (as opposed to team reports), and you get a nice one page view where you can view all 14 teams complete rosters (to date).
BLASPHEMY!!!!Are you telling me you don't have all your draft materials loaded into the Draft Dominator? Shame on you, FBG! :excited:

Well Tick, time to start paying attention....

Julius Peppers (6.06, #76 overall)

Keith Bulluck (7.10, #94 overall) **

Johnathan Vilma (7.13, #97 overall) **

I suppose the overall pick number will be more important since this is a 14-teamer compared to the Zealot's 12-team format.
Actually, since the rules are so different, just the order they're taken in relative to other IDPs is what I'm looking at.Z34 is just hitting IDP time as well. Peppers, Spikes, Reed, and Polamalu are off the board (please, no comments on undrafted players).

Z34 is just hitting IDP time as well. Peppers, Spikes, Reed, and Polamalu are off the board (please, no comments on undrafted players).
Wait...so you can comment about our undrafted players in our draft thread, but we can;t comment about yours? :boxing:

I'm loving my team.

QB - P.Manning

RB - T.Barber, R.Johnson

WR - M.Clayton, D.Bennett, M.Muhammad, E.Moulds

TE - C.Cooley

LB - D.Edwards

can't believe I got Eric Moulds in the 8th and Donnie Edwards in the 9th.

:excited: :excited: :excited:

Z34 is just hitting IDP time as well.  Peppers, Spikes, Reed, and Polamalu are off the board (please, no comments on undrafted players).
Wait...so you can comment about our undrafted players in our draft thread, but we can;t comment about yours? :boxing:
I guess I was talking about discussing, like "Hey, wow, nobody took Bullock yet!" instead of just posting the order they were taken in.Bullock just got taken, two picks before me, or I would have picked him.

I'm loving my team.

QB - P.Manning

RB - T.Barber, R.Johnson

WR - M.Clayton, D.Bennett, M.Muhammad, E.Moulds

TE - C.Cooley

LB - D.Edwards

can't believe I got Eric Moulds in the 8th and Donnie Edwards in the 9th.

:excited: :excited: :excited:
Yeah, it's a lot better than mine. ;) Moulds was an excellent value, I was hoping he'd drop more.

I'm loving my team.
Does your hand ever hurt from patting yourself on the back so much? :P
I prefer to think of it as me showing my appreciation for my fellow drafters letting all these guys drop. Fortunately for me (and unfortunately for everyone else), my selections required little thought. ;) I haven't had a chance to look closely at the rosters of anyone else yet, but there are definitely some strong teams out there that I'll need to worry about eventually. Due to trades, some teams loaded up with several more picks than everyone else so it will take some time to balance out and make some true comparisons though.

I'm just saying that I couldn't be much happier with how this draft is going so far. I think the only potential reach on my team right now is Cooley, but for the most part I've been fortunate to always see 1 or 2 players I really like available when my pick came up. For example, with my last 2 picks, I seriously considered taking Moulds and/or Edwards as high as my 6.12 pick...to get them at the 8.12 and 9.03 picks makes me pretty :excited:

Is there a reason why these TEs are going so high? I haven't checked the scoring system.

Is there a reason why these TEs are going so high? I haven't checked the scoring system.
TEs get 1.5 pts/rec and .15 pts/yd compared to 1pt/rec and .1 pts/yd for everyone else.Also, you can start 0-2 RBs but 1-3 TEs.

TEs get 1.5 pts/rec and .15 pts/yd compared to 1pt/rec and .1 pts/yd for everyone else.Also, you can start 0-2 RBs but 1-3 TEs.
Rb's get .5 per recept/.1 per yard, unless the charter is wrong about that.WR's do get 1 per recept and .1 per yard though.

Rb's get .5 per recept/.1 per yard, unless the charter is wrong about that.WR's do get 1 per recept and .1 per yard though.
OK. I wasn't sure about RBs...just knew TE scoring was bumped up from the other 2 positions.

well i have to say that missing leftwich in the 5th really blew my draft plan out of the water and ive been improvising for a couple of rounds now.here's my current roster:QB: Brees(6.03), Rivers(7.12) - i feel i have 2 top 15 talents long term at QB - for this year i have the SD QB locked up, and next year, they should be both be starting. not my original plan at QB, but i cant complain. Rivers should inherit a potent offense in SD, and Brees *could* end up being the heir to favre in my best case scenarioRB: Dillon(4.03), Lamont Jordan(7.09) - Dillon should be a legit #1 RB for two more years, and with the franchising of edge, SA, and rudi, and the jets decision to franchise abraham, jordan has become the best FA RB on the market - i think its better than 50/50 that he's the raiders feature RB this year, and if the moss trade goes through, its 75/25. Also I have the 1.03 rookie pick, so i am guaranteed one of benson/brown/williamsWR: Owens (2.03), Horn(4.09), Randle-el(9.07) - Owens should stay in that elite WR echelon for 3 more years, and with his conditioning, i could see him staying elite for even a year or two after that. Horn, i am counting on 2 more top 20 season from, and hoping to develop his replacement by then. Randle-el was another pick based on very recent news, the news that the steelers did not franchise plax, signalling to me that ARE is the man at #2 WR. I also think ARE made some huge strides last year under hines ward's tutelage, and he has hidden upside, as he is still somewhat new to the WR position. I see him as a santana moss/deion branch/derrick mason type WR for years to come.TE: TGonz (1.10) in this system i wanted gates or gonzo as my #1 TE, and would not settle for less. i gave up 5 slots in the 8th, 5 slots in the 10th, and 5 slots in the 3rd round of the rookie draft to move up 2 spots to take Gonzo in the first (directly after gates was taken). My draft plan was crafted around a stud TE in the first, so this was crucial. the fact that owens fell to me in the 2nd made this even better for me, as he was next on my board after gonzo.Dplayers: Peppers(6.06) - first D player off the board. I consider him the elite IDP in a system that gives 5 points a sack, and requires 2 starting DEs. I believe last year was just the tip of the iceberg, peppers still has upside, and didnt have jenkins clogging up the middle for most of the year. AND i get points for his TD catches ;)i do agree that aaron is in the lead so far - i like his team the best, very nice patient drafting.

i do agree that aaron is in the lead so far - i like his team the best, very nice patient drafting.
I like Aaron's team, but I would not feel as comfortable with it long term as others might.It's impossible to say much negative about Manning other than I doubt he throws 40+ TD's more than one more time in his career. Oooooohhh, what a bummer for Aaron. :rolleyes: Manning is as good as it gets. Period.

Barber turns 30 in April and is coming off a career year. I'm not very optimistic that a guy who has a career year this late in his career every replicates it. Still, should be a fine pick for at least this coming year, and perhaps a couple more after that. The number of RB's who display great numbers after 30 are slim though.

Rudi Johnson has some questions (does perry garnish some time, does Rudi hold out, etc.), but he's young and powerful. He's not the type of guy who will ever get 400+ yards receiving, but who cares? Getting 1500+ total yards and 12 TD's is not too shabby.

Clayton is a great pick. Nothing more to say.

Bennett...it's hard to argue with 80-1247-11 for the 4th year player, although he did have 8 of those td's (and 40+% of his yards) in one three game stretch near the end for a team long since out of the playoff hunt.

Muhammad will be 32 in May, is coming off career highs in TD's and yards and has missed a lot of time over the years.

Moulds also turns 32 soon and has never put back to back thousand yard seasons together. He had 1,000+ last year ;) .

Cooley is a good pick. I like him.

Edwards is one of the best and continues to make the doubters eat cake. But he'll be 32 in April and his career will be winding down soon. A year or two more at best where he plays a big role on his team.

Excellent squad and you're primed to possibly win now. And winning is what's important. But age is a concern, at least in the coming years, and this does not appear at first glance to be the kind of league where the pickings will be easy via the trading slant.

But hey, you've always got Manning, and there's worse things an owner in this league could have, that's for sure.

In a money dynasty league, winning now should always be the priority along with building the best possible team. There's always free agency, rookies, and trades to upgrade your team in the future so why pass on a vet who can help you for a few years in order to add a player that might not max out for another 2 or 3 years? It's a balancing act, but owners frequently make the mistake in dynasty leagues of overrelying on young players, many of whom will never live up to expectations, and undervaluing veterans who often produce year in and year out.

I think I have enough "youth" (Manning, Rudi, Clayton, Bennett, Cooley) in place through 9 rounds to be able to round out the roster with some vets. Tiki hasn't exactly been a workhorse RB through his 8 years (1533 carries or fewer than 200/yr).

Marvin Harrison is a full year older than Moulds, and Terrell Owens is only 6 months younger. Those guys continue to get drafted high each year and nobody even blinks, yet someone always talks like Moulds is going to retire tomorrow.

If you put Moulds in Minnesota or Indianapolis, he'd produce huge numbers. Just so happens that he plays in Buffalo and has suffered from some very inconsistent QB play over the years. The change at QB is the reason he fell as far as he did, but he's still the team's #1 WR and will be for the forseeable future. He's proven he can beat double teams, outmuscle defenders for the ball, and also make the acrobatic catch down the sideline when necessary. Regardless, he's my #4 WR here. I'm not exactly counting on him to carry the squad.

IMO, people shouldn't always be afraid of players who've had great seasons...because they might actually go out and do it again. Sometimes, great seasons happen for a reason (i.e. the system and personnel in place are a good fit). I'd also rather count on a top-10 season from a player who has been there before than from a player who has never done anything in the league.

I can see not wanting to OVERPAY for players coming off a career year. But, getting Tiki 26th pick overall, Muhammad at pick #87, Moulds at #110, and Edwards as the 7th LB drafted when he finished #2 in LB scoring for 2003 and #1 for 2004 is hardly what I'd call overpaying.

:brush: I agree with some of your points. I would never draft young players for the pure sake of them being young. It's a combination, to be sure, although you could not tell I have that philosophy by looking at our team. But believe it or not, we think we can win now too! :gang: But I would be interested to find guys who had career years after 6+ years in the league and ever matched those numbers again.

...someone always talks like Moulds is going to retire tomorrow.

...I can see not wanting to OVERPAY for player's coming off a career year. But, getting Tiki 26th pick overall, Muhammad at pick #87, Moulds at #110, and Edwards as the 7th LB drafted when he finished #2 in LB scoring for 2003 and #1 for 2004 is hardly what I'd call overpaying.
:thumbup: I don't think Moulds will retire tomorrow. It's just a fact that not many WR's last well into their 30's. Moulds might very well be one of them

And I never said you overpaid for anyone. :)

...someone always talks like Moulds is going to retire tomorrow.

...I can see not wanting to OVERPAY for player's coming off a career year. But, getting Tiki 26th pick overall, Muhammad at pick #87, Moulds at #110, and Edwards as the 7th LB drafted when he finished #2 in LB scoring for 2003 and #1 for 2004 is hardly what I'd call overpaying.
:thumbup: I don't think Moulds will retire tomorrow. It's just a fact that not many WR's last well into their 30's. Moulds might very well be one of them

And I never said you overpaid for anyone. :)
my strategy in any draft is finding value with each and every pick while building a balanced and deep roster. I take what is given to me, and in a dynasty draft, "older" players frequently provide the best value, IMO. However, I generally avoid players that I consider to be over the hill or who might only have 1 or 2 good years left. I don't think anyone I drafted so far would fit in either of those categories.There have been plenty of WRs that were productive into their mid-30s, including a handful that are active in the league right now. I don't see any reason why Moulds and Muhammad couldn't do the same, and I would actually think it is more likely to happen for them than it would be for some others.

Users who are viewing this thread