What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Georgia setting early voting record. (1 Viewer)

Yeah, and wasn't Gerogia Ground-Zero for the OMG! VOTER SUPPRESSION BOOGEYMAN!™ crowd?

Yeah, and wasn't Gerogia Ground-Zero for the OMG! VOTER SUPPRESSION BOOGEYMAN!™ crowd?
And to be completely honest. Stacey Abrams shouldn't sniff being elected governor after her deliberate lies about election suppression and the millions lost due to her lies with the MLB all-star game. She's a disgraceful lying individual.
Also an election denier too.

I forgot - didn't someone start a thread about election deniers being on ballots?

And to be completely honest. Stacey Abrams shouldn't sniff being elected governor after her deliberate lies about election suppression and the millions lost due to her lies with the MLB all-star game. She's a disgraceful lying individual.
Also an election denier too.

I forgot - didn't someone start a thread about election deniers being on ballots?
Yes. But she gets a pass here.

Not to mention the bill that everyone was up in arms over actually made it a lot easier to vote in Georgia than it was before.

Not to mention the bill that everyone was up in arms over actually made it a lot easier to vote in Georgia than it was before.
Agree. It was a chicken little moment for the Democratic party in Georgia. Misinformation and flat out lies.

Yes, that disproves there is or was voter suppression. That's how these things work.
That's great to hear. So the Dem message of voter suppression in Georgia was a lie. Glad you agree. 👍
I'm sure that's what Fox is telling you anyway. ;)

How about I say I hope both of us are being a little sarcastic here, and you don't actually believe it disproves anything, especially if there was or wasn't suppression or intent in the past.

Yes, that disproves there is or was voter suppression. That's how these things work.
That's great to hear. So the Dem message of voter suppression in Georgia was a lie. Glad you agree. 👍

How about I say I hope both of us are being a little sarcastic here, and you don't actually believe it disproves anything, especially if there was or wasn't suppression or intent in the past.
I didn't get it from Fox. I actually strongly dislike fox news. I linked the local paper of Atlanta. Why would I care about past elections? Dems ran and are running CURRENTLY on election suppression and CURRENT threats to democracy. It's a lie.

I didn't get it from Fox. I actually strongly dislike fox news. I linked the local paper of Atlanta. Why would I care about past elections? Dems ran and are running CURRENTLY on election suppression and CURRENT threats to democracy. It's a lie.
Yes, they are saying that based on what has happened in the past. They aren't predicting the future. It doesn't even matter if there was or wasn't in the past, it's silly to suggest the trend for this current election proves or disproves any of that. What if there was 0 suppression before and now there is still 0? What if them talking about it so much in the last few years put a spotlight on it so that things were fixed enough to allow for turnout. Like I said, odd statement to make and double down on.

Yes, they are saying that based on what has happened in the past. They aren't predicting the future. It doesn't even matter if there was or wasn't in the past, it's silly to suggest the trend for this current election proves or disproves any of that. What if there was 0 suppression before and now there is still 0? What if them talking about it so much in the last few years put a spotlight on it so that things were fixed enough to allow for turnout. Like I said, odd statement to make and double down on.
Do i need to quote Georgia politicians and others espousing current voter suppression? I don't have that much time 😂. Purdue plays in about 40 minutes or so.

Do i need to quote Georgia politicians and others espousing current voter suppression? I don't have that much time 😂. Purdue plays in about 40 minutes or so.
You can if you want, knock yourself out. It won't change my reply, because I am not denying Georgia politicians were claiming it or talking about it. I simply said this doesn't disprove anything.

Yes, they are saying that based on what has happened in the past. They aren't predicting the future.

Obviously. :yes:

You can if you want, knock yourself out. It won't change my reply, because I am not denying Georgia politicians were claiming it or talking about it. I simply said this doesn't disprove anything.
So record turnout doesn't disprove politicians claims of current voter suppression. Hmm. Never thought of that. Seems counter of their rhetoric, but ok. I'll just agree to disagree here. Enjoy football Saturday and have a great weekend 👍

So record turnout doesn't disprove politicians claims of current voter suppression. Hmm. Never thought of that. Seems counter of their rhetoric, but ok. I'll just agree to disagree here. Enjoy football Saturday and have a great weekend 👍

LaTosha Brow
@MsLaToshaBrown

Georgia voter turnout does not disprove voter suppression BUT is evidence of ongoing Black organizing over the past 4 yrs. Time and time again Black resilience empowers us to navigate and confront the racism that seeks to marginalize us.
#WeWontBlackDown

LaTosha Brow
@MsLaToshaBrown

Georgia voter turnout does not disprove voter suppression BUT is evidence of ongoing Black organizing over the past 4 yrs. Time and time again Black resilience empowers us to navigate and confront the racism that seeks to marginalize us. #WeWontBlackDown

Just because she says so doesn't make it true. Compare and contrast the current law in Georgia to the prior one and let me know which you'd prefer.

And racism made its way in.

LaTosha Brow
@MsLaToshaBrown

Georgia voter turnout does not disprove voter suppression BUT is evidence of ongoing Black organizing over the past 4 yrs. Time and time again Black resilience empowers us to navigate and confront the racism that seeks to marginalize us. #WeWontBlackDown

Just because she says so doesn't make it true. Compare and contrast the current law in Georgia to the prior one and let me know which you'd prefer.
And racism made its way in via the Twitter poster. So much racism stopping record turnout! Glad she's empowered. We need "bigotry" and probably "misogyny" for a bingo!

That's right, because I am assuming their "current" claims about suppression is in the general sense and was based on info from previous elections. Hence, one data point of early high numbers doesn't prove or disprove anything, and I gave a couple scenarios that could explain why that is. More what it proves to me is how partisan some posters are and how quick they are to latch on to the one thing that might make the other team look bad. Proof!! :lol:

Also, both can be true - there can be voter suppression attempts and record turnouts. I thought we all were in agreement that things should be looked at from all angles and narratives questioned. I guess not in this case. Proof voter suppression was a lie!!

If anyone took the time to read the changes in the law it would have been clear that the ultimate result was greater access to polls. In the original thread I argued as much. Instead you got these sound bite politicians with the "Jim Crow 2.0" crap. MLB should play the All-Star game in Atlanta for the next decade as an apology for moving it without understanding the effects.

Will the mail-in voters get a bottle of water?

It’s almost if politicians say politically biased things and their constituents blindly believe it. Who woulda thunk it.

Here's the original thread for the GA voting laws: https://forums.footballguys.com/thr...e-in-response-to-ga-voter-laws.795818/page-10

Here is my breakdown of Biden's statement on the laws:

I just read the statement. Good grief, what do you agree with? LOL!

"This law, like so many others being pursued by Republicans in statehouses across the country is a blatant attack on the Constitution and good conscience. Among the outrageous parts of this new state law, it ends voting hours early so working people can’t cast their vote after their shift is over..."

This is an absolutely false statement. Georgia added voting days to their elections on the weekends. The law actually gives working individuals MORE opportunities to cast their vote. The old law said voting was to occur during "normal business hours" and one Saturday. The new law provides that voting will begin at 9am and end at 5pm but allows for the polls to open and close 2 hours early/late so the effect is the polls will be open from 7am to 7pm. It also expands weekend voting to two Saturdays and two Sundays. So a worker can either vote on the weekends, vote before work or vote after work. Wouldn't the simple solution be to make the election a Federal Holiday so people aren't at work that day?

"It adds rigid restrictions on casting absentee ballots that will effectively deny the right to vote to countless voters..."

He is vague with the "rigid restrictions" to absentee voting. This is taken verbatim from the Georgia Voter Registration Form: "VOTER IDENTIFICATION NUMBER. Federal law requires you to provide your full GA Drivers License number or GA State issued ID number. If you do not have a GA Drivers License or GA ID you must provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security number. Providing your full Social Security number is optional. Your Social Security number will be kept confidential and may be used for comparison with other state agency databases for voter registration identification purposes. If you do not possess a GA Drivers License or Social Security number please check the appropriate box and a unique identifier will be provided for you." So there are no additional ID requirements to cast an absentee ballot. You simply need what you used when you registered. It also guarantees that ballot boxes be mandated by population and place at secure locations. They shortened the absentee voting period from 49 days to 29 days. Is that burdensome to someone? Is 29 days not enough? I could see an argument for limited ballot boxes, we won't know that effect until it's put into practice.

"And it makes it a crime to provide water to voters while they wait in line – lines Republican officials themselves have created by reducing the number of polling sites across the state, disproportionately in Black neighborhoods."

This is misleading and show a blatant disregard for the actual law. The new law prevents people from providing food and water to people within 150 feet of the polls. This is directly aimed at preventing partisan workers from providing benefits to voters for votes. It instead requires poll workers to now be the ones to provide food and water to people waiting in line or people to bring their own food and water. Total non-issue.

Is that the statement you were referring to?

If anyone took the time to read the changes in the law it would have been clear that the ultimate result was greater access to polls. In the original thread I argued as much. Instead you got these sound bite politicians with the "Jim Crow 2.0" crap. MLB should play the All-Star game in Atlanta for the next decade as an apology for moving it without understanding the effects.
Thanks Stacy.

Thanks Stacy.

She had her chance in 2018 to be Governor, she's toast now. The more she speaks, the more people realize how out of touch she is.

Connecticut has no early voting at all. Seems pretty suppressive compared to the Georgia laws. Rhode Island’s voter ID law sounds pretty suppressive as well. They also require not one but 2 witness signatures when casting an absentee ballot. Must be all those Republicans in their state legislature.

Connecticut has no early voting at all. Seems pretty suppressive compared to the Georgia laws. Rhode Island’s voter ID law sounds pretty suppressive as well. They also require not one but 2 witness signatures when casting an absentee ballot. Must be all those Republicans in their state legislature.
Hard to make indifference vote.

Remember! When the president of the US of A says this law is Jim Crow 2.0, he's talking about past elections and not predicting what the law will do to future elections 🤣. Good stuff today gents.
To be fair, your OP was pretty general as well. It's not like you juxtaposed a statement by Biden with that article. "So much for voter suppression we keep hearing about" is a pretty blanket statement, especially since GA is not the only place with murmurs of voter suppression.

Remember! When the president of the US of A says this law is Jim Crow 2.0, he's talking about past elections and not predicting what the law will do to future elections 🤣. Good stuff today gents.
To be fair, your OP was pretty general as well. It's not like you juxtaposed a statement by Biden with that article. "So much for voter suppression we keep hearing about" is a pretty blanket statement, especially since GA is not the only place with murmurs of voter suppression.
The title says Georgia in it. I linked the Atlanta journal. Posts 2-4 are talking about Stacey Abrams, MLB pulling the all-star game. I guess I'll be more obvious in the future. Sorry.

The title says Georgia in it. I linked the Atlanta journal. Posts 2-4 are talking about Stacey Abrams, MLB pulling the all-star game. I guess I'll be more obvious in the future. Sorry.
I couldn't open the link, and just saw the stats on the numbers turning out at the start of the article. GA not being the only example people give about suppression + your general statements about Democrats + my assumption about the intent of your thead = the series of posts we got. I accept my role in the exchange.

hat's right, because I am assuming their "current" claims about suppression is in the general sense and was based on info from previous elections. Hence, one data point of early high numbers doesn't prove or disprove anything, and I gave a couple scenarios that could explain why that is.
Nope. Current claims were based on the law that went into effect. Or do you think MLB pulled the all star game last year because they felt there was voter suppression in the 2018 and 2016 elections?

hat's right, because I am assuming their "current" claims about suppression is in the general sense and was based on info from previous elections. Hence, one data point of early high numbers doesn't prove or disprove anything, and I gave a couple scenarios that could explain why that is.
Nope. Current claims were based on the law that went into effect. Or do you think MLB pulled the all star game last year because they felt there was voter suppression in the 2018 and 2016 elections?
Think I was pretty clear above where I was coming from in my interaction with crack.

Think I was pretty clear above where I was coming from in my interaction with crack.

:oops:
😁

Voter Suppression!!!!

Voter turnout in Georgia reached historic highs on the first day of early voting in this midterm election, and Black Voters comprised 35% of all those who turned out to vote. Compared to the last midterm election in 2018, Georgians far exceeded the early voting numbers for the first two days and came very close to the 2020 results, according to data from the Secretary of State. In doing so, the Black male vote total was 46,016, in comparison to 38,792 in 2018. We at Black Voters Matter never doubted the commitment of Black voters to use the ballot box to bring about change.”

Just to make sure this is a good thing right?
Apparently they STILL have to rag the "leftys" when we all should be pleased with this outcome.
Why do you care so much?
Because i want it to be as easy possible for people to vote.

VS caring specifically about someone I don't even know and won't even vote for's health condition.
But why do you care? It doesn't affect you. You have no problem voting for the worst candidates.

You are not personally affected by this at all.

Users who are viewing this thread