What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gun Control Laws - Where are we really? Where to go? (2 Viewers)

This is a Common misconception... 

3D printed guns don't print the whole firearm.

They usually print the part of the receiver that Is serialized,  sometimes some other parts.... then you build out the rest of the gun using kits/parts readily available on the market. 

https://jsdsupply.com/3d-printed-gun-frames/

https://ghostguns.com/product-category/3d-print/

3D printed guns are generally quite safe and utilize the same type of metal barrels, chambers, etc as the OEM firearm. 

true but some of the 3D printed guns (googling) look like nerf guns 

true but some of the 3D printed guns (googling) look like nerf guns 
That's shtick People have fun printing up guns with crazy colors. It should go without saying that the Color of the material has no impact in performance.

I see all sorts of crazy colors for "real" firearms as well. 

I thought I wouldn't have to explain this, but I realize guns are effective.

Mental health, man.
Then what you posted is not true, or you don't understand the multiple we are talking about depending on the method.  Your quote was:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know people would still kill themselves if there wasn't a gun in the house.

Yes, they will still try.  But if a gun has a success rate of 83% and cutting/OD is less than 2% success rate - that is a huge difference.   That quote is not true then.  Depending on method, they won't "still kill themselves".   To me, that statement indicates the person believes the effective rate is close enough to be negligible.   

Feel free to clarify if you are saying something else.  

Then what you posted is not true, or you don't understand the multiple we are talking about depending on the method.  Your quote was:

Yes, they will still try.  But if a gun has a success rate of 83% and cutting/OD is less than 2% success rate - that is a huge difference.   That quote is not true then.  Depending on method, they won't "still kill themselves".   To me, that statement indicates the person believes the effective rate is close enough to be negligible.   

Feel free to clarify if you are saying something else.  

do you believe people have the Right to kill themselves if they want to ?  

LINK

Nine out of ten people who attempt suicide and survive will not go on to die by suicide at a later date. 

Approximately 7% (range: 5-11%) of attempters eventually died by suicide, approximately 23% reattempted nonfatally, and 70% had no further attempts.

I have been on record as saying that I think dr. assisted suicide should be a thing.  We should be able to die with dignity, especially if we are talking terminal illness, etc..  Mostly I am talking elderly and terminally ill.   But the very low rates of people that would die by suicide after a failed attempt, and who would not try again tells us that overall these are not people who ultimately want that and it is a bit of an impulse decision.   Also this is a large % of the growing deaths among kids/teens.  

BTW, these very stats have been linked and quoted multiple times.  

I’m for assisted suicide. 

me too but ... that comes from me being closely involved with a man dying of cancer 

a troubled teenager is a different story 

but people saying "my body my choice" for the last 30 years has a hard time saying people choosing to kill themselves shouldn't be allowed

I haven't researched places like Oregon and their regulations with it.  My guess is a portion of that sign off from practitioners is being of sound mind to be able to request such a thing. 
The interesting cases are people with long-term illnesses, and cannot communicate.  There could be a potential conflict of interest, especially if there is no next of kin around.

The interesting cases are people with long-term illnesses, and cannot communicate.  There could be a potential conflict of interest, especially if there is no next of kin around.
I would think these are things that could be written into wills ahead of time if a state made them legal.  

Again, I am for this being a choice, but not sure what the bar would be for what is allowed and what is not.    I would certainly expect mental illnesses like depression wouldn't be, and it would and should be kept to untreatable and/or terminal cases.  

Yep, still don't get it.   The bolded is not true.   Like I said, people don't seem to bother reading about these things or understanding them.  

Yes, attempts would stay the same.  Been shown many times that attempts with a gun are faaaaaar more successful than any other method.  Then combine that with stats on if they try again after a failed one to understand the situation.  
These guys don’t want to understand. Ignoring suicide makes our excessive gun deaths look like less of a problem, and eliminates the area gun control legislation can make the biggest impact.

KarmaPolice said:
Oh, I have 0 illusions on this front.  I am about the least mechanical person you could come across, never hunted, probably couldn't take a fish off a hook, etc..    End of times comes, and my family and I are goners.  
99% of people are goners, including the lion’s share of survivalist yahoos, if they lose access to food, water and power for an extended period.

Fortunately, that is exceedingly unlikely. But you can always stock up on dehydrated rations, a water purifier, fire starter and generator if you’re really worried - none of those require special survival skills. I’d probably also choose a more hospitable environment to forage than the upper Midwest.

Here we go again, LOL. Lawdy.

We already know you're more likely to die by gunfire if you have a gun. I'm sure you're also more likely to drown if you have a pool. These are elementary-level stats. Not to mention the absurdity of the suicide issue. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know people would still kill themselves if there wasn't a gun in the house.

Anyway, what I'm curious about is what percentage of households with a firearm have negligent deaths? Anybody know?
You’re more likely to die, period, if you have a gun in the home.

And no, most people who attempt suicide, but fail, don’t go on to later complete the act.

99% of people are goners, including the lion’s share of survivalist yahoos, if they lose access to food, water and power for an extended period.

Fortunately, that is exceedingly unlikely. But you can always stock up on dehydrated rations, a water purifier, fire starter and generator if you’re really worried - none of those require special survival skills. I’d probably also choose a more hospitable environment to forage than the upper Midwest.
I have a never ending supply of fresh water.   The upper Midwest would be the best at surviving.  They know how to hunt,

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys don’t want to understand. Ignoring suicide makes our excessive gun deaths look like less of a problem, and eliminates the area gun control legislation can make the biggest impact.
0.5% of the US population attempts suicide at least once at some point in thier lives. 

A pretty small minority of those utilize firearms. 

Well there's your challenge:
Find a way to keep firearms out of that sliver of the population while not infringing on the rights of the ~99.9%.

Boom! ;)

And no, most people who attempt suicide, but fail, don’t go on to later complete the act.
I bet you're more likely to die if you have a pool compared to those who don't. Guns don't have a mind of their own.

Again, these are low-level analogies (we all know potentially dangerous things in your home are hazardous).

BTW, did anyone look up what percentage of households with firearms have an unintentional death? I bet that one isn't in your handy stat book, LOL.

Gun control advocates love to hang their hat on suicides because it's all they have when discussing firearms in the house. Unfortunately (for anti-gunners), the intentional act of suicide is an extremely weak argument for gun control.

BTW, did anyone look up what percentage of households with firearms have an unintentional death? I bet that one isn't in your handy stat book, LOL.

Gun control advocates love to hang their hat on suicides because it's all they have when discussing firearms in the house. Unfortunately (for anti-gunners), the intentional act of suicide is an extremely weak argument for gun control.
Your fingers broken?   You could also look up stats and link them as well.   Of course the numbers are low.  

HERE

. In the first decade of the 21st century, there were 691 annual unintentional firearm deaths (all ages); in contrast, in the second decade (2010-2019), there were 512 annual unintentional firearm deaths (all ages), a 35% decrease.

So something like .0001% of households? 

0.5% of the US population attempts suicide at least once at some point in thier lives. 

A pretty small minority of those utilize firearms. 

Well there's your challenge:
Find a way to keep firearms out of that sliver of the population while not infringing on the rights of the ~99.9%.

Boom! ;)
It’s not hard - compare firearm suicide rates in states with the strictest vs. most lenient gun control. Standardize laws which lessen the risk of suicides.

Voila!

Remember these guys?

I have a never ending supply of fresh water.   The upper Midwest would be the best at surviving.  They know how to hunt,
No thanks. I like my water unfrozen more than half the year.

Might be an interesting spin-off: if you could choose one state in a doomsday scenario, which would you pick?

I bet you're more likely to die if you have a pool compared to those who don't. Guns don't have a mind of their own.

Again, these are low-level analogies (we all know potentially dangerous things in your home are hazardous).
I bet the rate of death by homicide, suicide or accident for adults is not statistically different in homes with pools versus those without.  And the total number of pool drownings (mostly young kids) pales in comparison to the number of gun deaths.

ETA About 4000 total drowning deaths per year, and only a fraction of those occur among adults in pools.

I'm not. :)  

Space heaters are an even bigger hazard and you'll be more likely to die in a fire if you have one of those.

Should we go on with these stupid analogies?  It's dumb.

In general, you're more likely to die by X if you have X, where "X" can be ANYTHING.  Even a ####### pencil.

Ok, so if you could pick one state in which to live under primitive conditions (making your own shelter, finding food and water), you’d choose MI? Assume no power, businesses or neighbors to rob.
Well I hate winter and the SW would be a poor option.  Idk if it would be my first choice, but it would be close to the top.

Well I hate winter and the SW would be a poor option.  Idk if it would be my first choice, but it would be close to the top.
I’d pick somewhere warmer, but not swelteringly hot, where crops grow readily and hunting/fishing is accessible year round. HI would be great, but mid-Atlantic states    and central CA would also do.

Space heaters are an even bigger hazard and you'll be more likely to die in a fire if you have one of those.

Should we go on with these stupid analogies?  It's dumb.

In general, you're more likely to die by X if you have X, where "X" can be ANYTHING.  Even a ####### pencil.
2 things:

1. You are right if it just you in a padded room with and without a pencil, your odds of death increase with the pencil.   What you are skipping over is that is not the point of these stats.  The point is how much more likely you are to die if you are in a room with a pencil or a room with gun.   

2.  We do seem to hammer the crap out of the home side of this issue for whatever reason (probably the bickering about suicides).    But, this is one part of the issue, and we are also concerned with gun violence in the street and increasing frequency and lethality of mass shootings and the fact that guns are now a top killer for teens/kids, etc.      The other things people bring up in these silly analogies (what about the Drano and swimming pools and lawn darts!!!) aren't being used in the same way.   

It monopolizes the conversation around here, but for most people it seems guns in the home are just one small part of the topic.  

It’s not hard - compare firearm suicide rates in states with the strictest vs. most lenient gun control. Standardize laws which lessen the risk of suicides.

Voila!

Remember these guys?
Grade: F

Still impacting far far too many of the 99.9% of people who will not attempt suicide with a firearm. 

Please try again, or it's off to remedial gun control classes for you. 

I’d pick somewhere warmer, but not swelteringly hot, where crops grow readily and hunting/fishing is accessible year round. HI would be great, but mid-Atlantic states    and central CA would also do.
Best to think about places with large pre-Columbian indigenous populations.  HI had a decent population density, but the west coast of the US didn't have the same density.  I would therefore say the Mississippi River valley in Southern IL or western TN.

Not too much snow, can hunt and fish and grow crops.

Your fingers broken?   You could also look up stats and link them as well.   Of course the numbers are low.  

HERE

. In the first decade of the 21st century, there were 691 annual unintentional firearm deaths (all ages); in contrast, in the second decade (2010-2019), there were 512 annual unintentional firearm deaths (all ages), a 35% decrease.

So something like .0001% of households? 
My fingers aren't broken, LOL, but I wouldn't even know where to look.

I just figured you stat guys would have it handy. Thanks.

BTW, yes, it's extremely low.

I bet the rate of death by homicide, suicide or accident for adults is not statistically different in homes with pools versus those without.  And the total number of pool drownings (mostly young kids) pales in comparison to the number of gun deaths.

ETA About 4000 total drowning deaths per year, and only a fraction of those occur among adults in pools.
That's not what I said. I said I bet you're more likely to die if you have a pool compared to homes without one. Meaning, all other factors being equal, I bet you're more likely to die.

No offense, but this is entry level stuff.

Best to think about places with large pre-Columbian indigenous populations.  HI had a decent population density, but the west coast of the US didn't have the same density.  I would therefore say the Mississippi River valley in Southern IL or western TN.

Many places I've been to in California had pre-Columbian settlements. In Yosemite, an Indian Village is being created. The Miwoks lived there in harmony with nature for perhaps 4,000 years. The Ohlones lived in the SF Bay region for over 10,000 years. That was a  great place for hunting, fishing, mussel collecting,  gathering acorns, seeds of native grasses. The weather is never too hot or cold. 

That's not what I said. I said I bet you're more likely to die if you have a pool compared to homes without one. Meaning, all other factors being equal, I bet you're more likely to die.

This is entry level stuff, but you guys keep posting as though the stats don't affect you or include you for some reason.  You are part of the numbers, but if seems to be the part that is safe and brings the numbers down.  

My fingers aren't broken, LOL, but I wouldn't even know where to look.

I just figured you stat guys would have it handy.

Thanks.
Just Google phrases. "Unintentional gun death rates" , stuff like that.  

What I assumed is that you knew it was super low, and just wanted one of us "anti-gunners" to post it and admit the numbers are low.  ;)

This is entry level stuff, but you guys keep posting as though the stats don't affect you or include you for some reason.  You are part of the numbers, but if seems to be the part that is safe and brings the numbers down.  
We don’t know, but if he takes the precautions, his odds are much better than the general odds.  Stats are nice for a base, but we need context also.  Only he knows his situation.

We don’t know, but if he takes the precautions, his odds are much better than the general odds.  Stats are nice for a base, but we need context also.  Only he knows his situation.
Of course, and I've never said otherwise.  Stats are a data point.  They are all gun owners, but the stats for someone using a safe 100% of the time and no kids is way different than someone with a loaded gun under their pillow with kids in the house.   Doesn't mean the stats are ####, which imo is largely the tone taken with a few posters, it means we look at them as a tool and a guide overall how trends are going.  

If all gun owners were like icon, the numbers would be a lot lower, if they all left bags if guns in the living room, they would be way higher.   The goal should be getting as many as possible in that first category 

Eta: and I've told him a few times I think he is taking the stats personally or something.  

Just Google phrases. "Unintentional gun death rates" , stuff like that.  

What I assumed is that you knew it was super low, and just wanted one of us "anti-gunners" to post it and admit the numbers are low.  ;)
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to predict it was going to be low, but it's nice to know it's not even a drop in the bucket.

It's extremely low for a reason.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to predict it was going to be low, but it's nice to know it's not even a drop in the bucket.

It's extremely low for a reason.
Yes, because there are 100s of millions of people and households.  Just about anything we are concerned with would be a low number when we talk % of households or % of population.  Probably why a lot of things do rates like X/100k people.   Even something way more common like car accidents deaths would be something like .04% of households experienced one.  Still probably too high, since many accidents would involve multiple deaths from the same family. 

Long story short, if the rise of frequency and lethality of mass shootings don't concern you or the fact that gun deaths are now at the top of the list for what kills teens and kids, just say that.  If that's cost of living in the US, just say that.  

If that is not the case, let's continue to talk about how to combat those trends.  But we have to at least talk about and accept stats to do that, don't we? 

That said, after all this bickering and posting I think at the end of the day a lot of this is on gun owners.  We see what happens when us non gun owning  limousine libs talk about regulations. ( ;) ) what we really need is more vocal people like icon or Philo advocating for the same things.  (Which we largely seem to agree on) 

I'm really busy right now, but it would be interesting to find out how often CC permit holders shoot the wrong person...stuff like that. We're continuously told in here how dangerous untrained civilians are, but what are the stats?

I just saw a report saying CC permit holders are less likely than police officers to commit crime. And I'm thinking it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine they're WAY less likely to commit crime than the general public. 

I found this with my first google...https://winteryknight.com/2016/08/12/concealed-carry-permit-holders-commit-fewer-crimes-than-police-officers/

I'm really busy right now, but it would be interesting to find out how often CC permit holders shoot the wrong person...stuff like that. We're continuously told in here how dangerous untrained civilians are, but what are the stats?

I just saw a report saying CC permit holders are less likely than police officers to commit crime. And I'm thinking it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine they're WAY less likely to commit crime than the general public. 

I found this with my first google...https://winteryknight.com/2016/08/12/concealed-carry-permit-holders-commit-fewer-crimes-than-police-officers/
I want to be perfectly clear on my stance.  I am not saying the bolded.  Yet again, I am sure it's a small, but not 0, number.  

All I am saying is that there are cases of things like fish saw, or similar bone headed moves. There is an element of CCing where you are not just protecting yourself, but you are stepping in and stopping other crimes.  Based on those two things I would like a federal bar to clear for a CCP that requires a decent level of training - safety and marksmanship/proficiency to be able to get the license.  

Grade: F

Still impacting far far too many of the 99.9% of people who will not attempt suicide with a firearm. 

Please try again, or it's off to remedial gun control classes for you. 
I hate to break it to you, but gun control will impact gun owners. Thankfully, the founding fathers realized our rights were not limitless, and even included “well regulated” in the text of 2A.

Football Jones said:

John Lott and the Crime Prevention Research Center (which is just him) are not credible sources.  

The Z Machine said:

Yeah, HI has the pesky Pacific to keep out the riff-raff. But once you’re here, it’s a pretty idyllic place to set up a survivalist camp.

Football Jones said:

I bet you’re far more likely to die as a firearm than pool owner. And more likely to kill others with your gun(s).

But none of that is germane to discussing reasonable gun control, so carry on.

Users who are viewing this thread