What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gun Control Laws - Where are we really? Where to go? (1 Viewer)

Football Jones said:
I'm really busy right now, but it would be interesting to find out how often CC permit holders shoot the wrong person...stuff like that. We're continuously told in here how dangerous untrained civilians are, but what are the stats?

I just saw a report saying CC permit holders are less likely than police officers to commit crime. And I'm thinking it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine they're WAY less likely to commit crime than the general public. 

I found this with my first google...https://winteryknight.com/2016/08/12/concealed-carry-permit-holders-commit-fewer-crimes-than-police-officers/
I’m sure the absolute numbers are small, but this is a good summary of the impact of concealed carry laws. This subtopic describes the impact on violent crime.

You’re also floridly underestimating rocket scientists, as almost every statement you suggest is obviously correct, even to non-aerospace engineers, turns out to be demonstrably false.

I’m sure the absolute numbers are small, but this is a good summary of the impact of concealed carry laws. This subtopic describes the impact on violent crime.

You’re also floridly underestimating rocket scientists, as almost every statement you suggest is obviously correct, even to non-aerospace engineers, turns out to be demonstrably false.
It's crystal clear by now what the impact of CC is. It gives you autonomy over some bad situations. Many examples. On the other hand, nobody is twisting your arm to carry.

And the homeowner firearms stats you're pushing tell us absolutely nothing. It's kindergarten-type stuff. We know potentially dangerous things can be dangerous. Accidental deaths from firearms are few & far between.

Last edited by a moderator:
New rifle being marketed that can shoot through bullet proof vests: 

https://news.yahoo.com/assault-rifle-being-sold-civilians-105625717.html

Swell. 

ya'll really need to learn about what you're talking about before being suckered in 

lets look at that article

"New assault rifle being sold to civilians is twice as powerful as the AR-15 and capable of shooting through bulletproof vests, report says"

what type/level bullet proof vest are we talking about? and, an AR15 isn't a caliber ... the platform is made in many many calibers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR_platform_cartridges

"SIG Sauer's MCX-SPEAR can fire bullets with twice the kinetic energy of an AR-15, The Daily Beast reported."

what IS kinetic energy?  this gun is chambered in 277 SIG FURY (which I'd never even heard of) ... you get a heavier bullet traveling faster .. thus more KE although with the v2, faster = more KE normally .... a regular .556/.223 is a light bullet traveling very fast too - its the type/weight of bullet that's making a huge difference here

its misleading - you could go up in bullet weight on a .556 and change KE as well

"High-powered AR-15-style weapons"

not compared to many other non-AR-15 rifles, they're not "high powered" at all

""It'll shoot through almost all of the bulletproof vests worn by law enforcement in the county right now," "

you do know that loaded with the right ammunition a LOT of guns will punch through body armor right?  

that article is a scare article, meant to scare people and people who don't know about guns take it hook, line and sinker, just like you did @timschochet

I hate to break it to you, but gun control will impact gun owners. Thankfully, the founding fathers realized our rights were not limitless, and even included “well regulated” in the text of 2A.
Gotcha so we are too lazy to solve the problem with 0.1% of the population without impacting the 99.9%?

Well then... Even more Thankfully, the courts are seemingly locked into a 2A expansionist pattern, so I'm cautiously optimistic no significant restrictions are coming down. 

And Thankfully even if they do, most states / LEO will refuse to enforce and most gun owners will refuse to comply.   :D  

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhhhhh love ya GB but some bad info here: 

No model has a built in (integral) suppressor.
Sig MCX line come with an "inert training device" that looks and weighs like a suppressor (for training purposes)... but a suppressor is sold separately and is affixed to the end of the rifle (in the place of the inert training device) like any AR-15. 

Velocity is not double the velocity... it's actually LOWER  
M193 (5.56 AR-15 round) : 3250fps
M855A1 (5.56 AR-15 round) : 3100fps
M855 Green Tip (5.56 AR-15 round) : 3050fps
.277 Fury (Spear's Round) : 2970fps (16" barrel) 

What makes the .277 Fury round more effective is kinetic energy due to its mass (140gr vs 55gr weight).  That said it's not delivering hits beyond anything that isn't already available: 

Kinetic Energy at 100yd:
.300 Win Mag: 2947 ft/lb
.277 Fury: 2529 ft/lb
.308 Winchester: 2356 ft/lb

Regarding the range, yes it delivers lethal kinetic energy at greater range than 5.56 (due to mass), it's still in the range of other common cartridges mentioned above. Not to mention I'd wager 0.0% of gun crime is committed at ranges where this is relevant. :)

Good graphic showing bullet drop at range here.  You'll see the comparative accuracy at range is negligible inside 600 yards. 

Finally, the gap between civilian and military issued versions of the MCX Spear platform is actually GREATER than that between M4 and Civilian AR-15 platforms. The MIL edition Spear is not only select fire, but also fires at a higher chamber pressure. 

Bottom line: I have zero issue with the .277 Sig Fury cartridge or any rifle that chambers it. 
For Tim 

@KarmaPolice

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dallas-airport-accused-shooter-lengthy-criminal-record-claimed-chris-browns-wife-gods-prophet

Over the past several years, 37-year-old Portia Odufuwa has faced charges including arson, robbery, criminal trespass and false reporting in cities across North Texas. 

But in many of those incidents, judges deemed her incompetent to stand trial, she was referred to either or both inpatient or outpatient mental health services, and the cases were dismissed, The Dallas Morning News has reported. And as recently as last summer, a Dallas County judge ruled she was not a danger to others

Mental Health was available, she was given many opportunities and had outpatient/inpatient ..... even ruled not a threat.

She got what you have been asking on, right? Where was the failure then? She could have killed people yesterday, luckily good guys with guns shot her down first.

But my point is, what you've been asking for, mental health help, was what she got. 

In her case, what more could be done in your opinion ?

I read this the other day .... see, this is the problem with allowing Govt to issue Constitutional Rights ... they can deny anyone for any reason, even people who are religious leaders and recently robbed .....

I hate to break it to you, but gun control will impact gun owners. Thankfully, the founding fathers realized our rights were not limitless, and even included “well regulated” in the text of 2A.
Gotcha so we are too lazy to solve the problem with 0.1% of the population without impacting the 99.9%?

Well then... Even more Thankfully, the courts are seemingly locked into a 2A expansionist pattern, so I'm cautiously optimistic no significant restrictions are coming down.

And Thankfully even if they do, most states / LEO will refuse to enforce and most gun owners will refuse to comply. :D
Yep. Law abiding citizens.

I read this the other day .... see, this is the problem with allowing Govt to issue Constitutional Rights ... they can deny anyone for any reason, even people who are religious leaders and recently robbed .....
Who exactly do you think wrote the Constitution? :confused:

And Thankfully even if they do, most states / LEO will refuse to enforce and most gun owners will refuse to comply. :D

I bet some of those guys drive over the speed limit and occasionally smoke the devil's lettuce too!!!!1!!
#clutchespearls

I bet some of those guys drive over the speed limit and occasionally smoke the devil's lettuce too!!!!1!!
#clutchespearls
Both of you have points.
Mostly people just put the spotlight on themselves when they start talking about being law abiding citizens and being law and order people. Like you are pointing out, everybody does this stuff, and of course we downplay the rules we break ourselves.

I've ben lax and not carrying my gun lately

that changed this weekend

Little Rock Police Department

·
HOMICIDES AND SHOOTING INCIDENTS IN LITTLE ROCK AREA BEING JOINTLY INVESTIGATED
AUGUST 14, 2022
The Arkansas State Police, Little Rock Police Department and the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office are jointly investigating as many as 11 shooting incidents that have occurred over the past 26 hours. As of 9 PM (August 14th) authorities have accounted for three deaths and three individuals wounded, still being treated.
At this time the shooting locations have been identified as:
· 1:53 PM, (Saturday, August 13th), at 4022 Frazier Pike, one wounded.
· 1:37 PM, (Saturday, August 13th), at 9401 Mabelvale Cutoff, no injuries.
· 7:20 PM, (Saturday, August 13th), one deceased at 900 block of South Rodney Parham.
· 12:58 PM, (Sunday, August 14th), one deceased at Frazier Pike & 3M Road.
· 2:39 PM, (Sunday, August 14th), one injured at Interstate 30 (eastbound) & 65th Street.
· 2:44 PM, (Sunday, August 14th), one injured at Interstate 440 (northbound) & near Springer Street.
· Shortly before 3 PM, (Sunday, August 14th), at least three shootings, beginning at Interstate 630 (westbound) near the Big Rock interchange, followed by an incident near I-630 & Shackelford, then moving toward the intersection of Markham Street and Bowman, no injuries.
· Approximately 4 PM, (Sunday, August 14th), a shooting at 13111 West Markham, no injuries.
· 5:14 PM, (Sunday, August 14th), a shooting inside a convenience store at 6500 Mabelvale Cutoff, one deceased and one critically wounded.
Presently the investigating law enforcement agencies are working to determine what connection, if any, the shooting incidents might be connected.
At 5:45 PM, today near Roosevelt Road and State Street, two individuals were taken into custody following a pursuit involving state police troopers. The individuals are believed to be connected to at least one of the shooting incidents.
Following the incidents today, special agents from the state police, along with detectives from Little Rock Police Department and Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office have unified their efforts to share information and investigate all the shooting incidents.

I don't understand your question really ...
The government politicians wrote the Constitution but somehow you have a problem with the government providing Constitutional Rights....makes zero sense. If not for them, you wouldn't have these rights you are clinging to

The government politicians wrote the Constitution but somehow you have a problem with the government providing Constitutional Rights....makes zero sense. If not for them, you wouldn't have these rights you are clinging to

I guess I don't view our founding fathers the same way I do AOC and Bernie Sanders

Activist Judge

Overturns handgun ban on 18-20 year olds.
Of course you can't ban voting age adults from owning and carrying arms. It's right there in the Constitution... "shall not be infringed"

Wait, why can't 18-20 year olds buy or consume alcohol? Cuz it's not part of the 21st Ammendment? Doesn't this country have a history and tradition dating back to the writing of the Constitution and the ratification of the 21st Amendmrnt of people that age buying, making, and consuming alcohol?

This shift to "only allow things that were legal or contemplated in the affirmative at the time the nation was founded" is pretty stupid on a lot of levels.

In response to SCOTUS striking down a 100 year old gun control law, NY has instituted new laws that go into effect today.

Concealed carry applicants need 16 hours of training with 2 hours of live fire. They also need to provide information on their last three years of social media activity.

Firearms are presumed to be prohibited in privately owned businesses and spaces unless the owner proactively puts a sign at the entrance saying guns are allowed on premises.

Numerous "sensitive areas" have been designated (including Times Square) where no concealed carry is permitted.

Since these laws were structured around the SC's decision, it is likely that they will be upheld if challenged. Expect California and the other 6 states who were affected by the decision to adopt similar laws.

In response to SCOTUS striking down a 100 year old gun control law, NY has instituted new laws that go into effect today.

Concealed carry applicants need 16 hours of training with 2 hours of live fire. They also need to provide information on their last three years of social media activity.

Firearms are presumed to be prohibited in privately owned businesses and spaces unless the owner proactively puts a sign at the entrance saying guns are allowed on premises.

Numerous "sensitive areas" have been designated (including Times Square) where no concealed carry is permitted.

Since these laws were structured around the SC's decision, it is likely that they will be upheld if challenged. Expect California and the other 6 states who were affected by the decision to adopt similar laws.
And they will do nothing to stop crime

And they will do nothing to stop crime
Do you have a factual basis for this statement? Statistics show that violent crime rises in each jurisdiction where permitless concealed carry has been adopted. Additional controls for concealed carry would seem to be a reasonable step at addressing this problem. These laws are a direct response to a poor decision by the Supreme Court and judicial advocacy by its conservative members in striking down a law that was over 100 years old, and preventing unfettered concealed carry from increasing crime, as it has everywhere it has been adopted.

Kinda thought we'd see some new gun laws structured similar to the Texas abortion law by now.
California adopted one in July. It will take a while for the lawsuits to work their way through the courts.

Under the California law, a person would also be able to sue a licensed firearms dealer who "sells, supplies, delivers, or gives possession or control of a firearm" to anyone under 21 years old. It allows citizens to sue for a minimum of $10,000 on each weapon involved, as well as attorney fees.

Damn Biden. I was really looking forward to some Labor day deals, but there has been a run on gun accessories the last 24 hours. What could be causing that?

Last edited:
Damn Biden. I was really looking forward to some Labor deals, but there has been a run on gun accessories the last 24 hours. What could be causing that?
Desperate regimes try to disarm the populace
I remember when right wing fanatics claimed Obama was doing this in 2009. Generally these runs are caused by the gun industry itself and the NRA with their ridiculous "they're coming to take your guns" rhetoric.

Damn Biden. I was really looking forward to some Labor deals, but there has been a run on gun accessories the last 24 hours. What could be causing that?
I remember when right wing fanatics claimed Obama was doing this in 2009. Generally these runs are caused by the gun industry itself and the NRA with their ridiculous "they're coming to take your guns" rhetoric.

They don't have to do that anymore, you folks just come out and say it now.

Anybody who wants my guns can come and get them. They are right here.

Obama took my guns. :kicksrock:

They don't have to do that anymore? The NRA literally published a guide on it.

Your "shortages" are being induced by the gun and ammo industry, not politicians.

They don't have to do that anymore? The NRA literally published a guide on it.

Your "shortages" are being induced by the gun and ammo industry, not politicians.

I don't have any shortages.

I would advise every able bodied American to buy a handgun and train to use it. Each passing day there are fewer and fewer police officers on the job. It will ultimately be up to ourselves to defend our freedom and our families as violent crime continues to rise.

I would advise every able bodied American to buy a handgun and train to use it. Each passing day there are fewer and fewer police officers on the job. It will ultimately be up to ourselves to defend our freedom and our families as violent crime continues to rise.
I have a part time gig as a firearms instructor/RSO. The place we work out of has had such an increase in demand for a weekend shooting/safety course that we're expanding to a second location. Its a great course where we get to meet people from all walks of life who want the training for all sorts of reasons. This country isn't as divided as the internet makes it feel sometimes. Every political background is there to learn self-protection.

Anyone who is against gun ownership OK with the government tracking gun purchases thru CC purchases?
I'd like to know what else they are tracking in this manner.
Well, first, I'd like to know if he's talking about the codes the ISO was implementing before I went any further. If that's true, it's an international group and the codes would be worldwide. They would not be "government tracking". And the code would simply signify a purchase from a gun store. The details of the purchase wouldn't be part of it. IF this is what he's referring to, the answer to your question in bold is millions and millions of items. Almost every type of business that takes credit cards has a code like this. Right now, gun stores use the "Misc" code. This would change to signal it was a gun store basically pulling them out from the "Misc" category.

If this isn't what he's talking about, then I'd like to know what exactly it is he is talking about.

Anyone who is against gun ownership OK with the government tracking gun purchases thru CC purchases?
Well, first, I'd like to know if he's talking about the codes the ISO was implementing before I went any further. If that's true, it's an international group and the codes would be worldwide. They would not be "government tracking". And the code would simply signify a purchase from a gun store. The details of the purchase wouldn't be part of it. IF this is what he's referring to, the answer to your question in bold is millions and millions of items. Almost every type of business that takes credit cards has a code like this. Right now, gun stores use the "Misc" code. This would change to signal it was a gun store basically pulling them out from the "Misc" category.

If this isn't what he's talking about, then I'd like to know what exactly it is he is talking about.

What's the ISO code for CC purchases at abortion clinics?

What's the ISO code for CC purchases at abortion clinics?
No idea....probably the same as other medical businesses? Why do you ask?

Users who are viewing this thread