What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Non-Tokers Only: If Marijuana Were Legalized in your State, Would You (1 Viewer)

Would you buy some weed if it were legalized?

• Yes

Votes: 99 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 108 52.2%

• Total voters

flysack

Footballguy
I was thinking about this after reading about legal weed in Denver.

I don't smoke. I used to back in high school (oh the pun! ha!), but got sick of it by the time I reached college. In the past 20 years I've gotten high twice, and once was by mistake.

I don't like it enough to bother with an illegal dealer, but if stores started selling it legally in NYS, I'd probably pick some up for the hell of it. Why not? Could make for an interesting evening one night when I'm bored, the family is away, and my Playstation is begging for an all nighter.

Would you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not, right? If there's no legal downside to doing it at your residence and you have some downtime, I'd view it the same as kicking a 6-pack.

I don't indulge, but would if it were legal. It's not like I leave the house for anything on weekends anyway. Especially during football season.

in the beginning i think some would try that don't usually smoke, but in the long run those that don't smoke wouldn't and those that already do still would.

The legality of weed probably has zero effect on the % of those that will end up smoking it.

in the beginning i think some would try that don't usually smoke, but in the long run those that don't smoke wouldn't and those that already do still would.

The legality of weed probably has zero effect on the % of those that will end up smoking it.
I think there's a reasonable number of people who don't do stuff solely because it's illegal and the only way to engage in the behavior is the hang out with shady weirdos. I fall in that camp.

I quit smoking [cigarettes] after 20 years a few years back, and I'm extremely concerned that I'd take it up again if I started smoking weed. I know myself well enough to know that I most likely would. So, no.

But given that I live in Texas, it's unlikely I'll ever have that choice presented to me ;)

I support it being legal but I doubt if I would ever use it unless I had some sort of chronic pain. In that case I would use it whether it was legal or not. I lived in Humboldt County for several years and never used it for recreation so I doubt I would start now.

I'm pretty weirded out by people who are sufficiently deterred merely by pot's illegality.
I do think it's strange that there is such a disconnect for some people that would never consider smoking pot unless it was legal and yet have no qualms about driving WAY over the speed limit endangering the lives of others. Even when it was illegal I thought people possessing pot should be punished much less than people that got caught speeding.

I haven't smoked it since college, 1984 or 85. I have no interest in it now and would not partake if it was legalized. I fully support legalizing it.

I'm pretty weirded out by people who are sufficiently deterred merely by pot's illegality.
I set off a fire alarm by smoking it in a dorm. I later got kicked off campus for 24 hours after a separate incident not involving marijuana. This was back in the 2002/03 school year. I have only smoked pot on a couple occasions since. The risk/reward is not there.

I'm assuming that legality implies more broad access. If it was legal here but I still had to find a dealer, I wouldn't. If it was legal and available at stores, I would try some on occasion

I smoked/grew/cooked with until I was about 27. Then it stopped being fun. I would probably smoke more regularly if I could pick the strain, which legalizing it would presumably make possible. A light sativa buzz when doing something creative or exercising is a great thing. The heavy indica stoning is not. I like getting high, not stoned. Or maybe if we went back to the '70s model, with outdoor grown commercial weed with stems and seeds and we'd measure is lids and all that. Sign me up. But this business of needing four hours to set aside to be paralyzed is not for me. It's not a pleasant experience.

I was thinking about this after reading about legal weed in Denver.

I don't smoke. I used to back in high school (oh the pun! ha!), but got sick of it by the time I reached college. In the past 20 years I've gotten high twice, and once was by mistake.

I don't like it enough to bother with an illegal dealer, but if stores started selling it legally in NYS, I'd probably pick some up for the hell of it. Why not? Could make for an interesting evening one night when I'm bored, the family is away, and my Playstation is begging for an all nighter.

Would you?
For similar reasons, I'm in your boat.

I smoked daily for over 15 years but have only smoked 3-4 times in the last 6 years. The most recent times have been horrible experiences so I'm not sure I would be inclined to buy it because it was legal. It being illegal has nothing to do with why I stopped.

I am very curious to see how it plays out in Colorado though. Legalization holds great promise in terms of providing tax dollars, much in the way that gambling would if they made it legal everywhere (especially online). I'm not for legalization of all of life's vices but pot and gambling seem like two that could make a lot of sense. Hopefully the Feds stay out of it as it would be a much needed victory for states rights.

If you're a working your way up the professional ladder, and especially if you have a family to boot, then the risk doesn't outweigh the reward. As a psoter in the other thread pointed out if he were intervieiwing candidates for a job and one of them had a marijuana arrest on their record then that person wouldn't be hired in main part becasue of the eveidence of poor decison making.

nope. i used to be a pot head back in college but really don't have any interest in smoking anymore. Plus, as someone else said, i quit smoking about 5 years ago. Don't really want to risk smoking again.

Where it is legalized, are hospitals, schools, and other workplaces no longer able to determine employment based on a positive drug screen for THC?

nope. i used to be a pot head back in college but really don't have any interest in smoking anymore. Plus, as someone else said, i quit smoking about 5 years ago. Don't really want to risk smoking again.
I am sure you could find some non-smoking alternatives if it were legal.

I think there's a reasonable number of people who don't do stuff solely because it's illegal and the only way to engage in the behavior is the hang out with shady weirdos. I fall in that camp.
This. We had this discussion at work and the majority would smoke weed if it were legal.

I am sure you could find some non-smoking alternatives if it were legal.
good point. id probably eat a weed brownie and enjoy playoffs football on a day like today! :pickle:
Blammo. Its not just smoking. You can get some really nice edibles, have a blast of a night and wake up the next day still feeling pretty fresh. I could see a lot of people going that route.

I smoked/grew/cooked with until I was about 27. Then it stopped being fun. I would probably smoke more regularly if I could pick the strain, which legalizing it would presumably make possible. A light sativa buzz when doing something creative or exercising is a great thing. The heavy indica stoning is not. I like getting high, not stoned. Or maybe if we went back to the '70s model, with outdoor grown commercial weed with stems and seeds and we'd measure is lids and all that. Sign me up. But this business of needing four hours to set aside to be paralyzed is not for me. It's not a pleasant experience.
Pretty much perfectly sums up my feelings on the matter.

I smoked weed 2x in High School. I was also a cigarette smoker then. Both times the weed was way to harsh for me and I got kind o sick to my stomach, so it was not a pleasant experience, although it could have been ####ty pot.

The one time I enjoyed being high was when some buddies were hot boxing in the car. A contact high was pleasant.

To answer the question - probably not, but I would consider trying it if I knew someone who could help me pick the right strain.

For me it's a case of little desire mixed with the underground culture of illegality, not the fact that it's illegal.

Not smoking doesn't bother me in the slightest and even if legal, I wouldn't partake much at all. I just don't run in circles that smoke it anymore, unless I started hitting up my students, and that would lead to all sorts of unwanted problems. If I really wanted some I could shake the bushes and probably find an old friend willing to hook me up, but it'd be a pain and I just don't care enough to bother.

A light sativa buzz when doing something creative or exercising is a great thing. The heavy indica stoning is not. I like getting high, not stoned. Or maybe if we went back to the '70s model, with outdoor grown commercial weed with stems and seeds and we'd measure is lids and all that. Sign me up. But this business of needing four hours to set aside to be paralyzed is not for me. It's not a pleasant experience.
Agree with this 100%. Hyper powered pot made its appearance just when I was getting bored with it 20 years ago. The stuff was insanely potent and that partially led to my disinterest. I like a light happy high, not melting into a couch and drooling on myself. If I wanted that, I'd take up smack.

Although not strictly legal here in Denmark there is no penalty for buying or having up to 5 grams for personal use. Finding out where to buy it is easy, particularly here in Copenhagen (there is this place called Christiania, where the main drag is known as pusher street - you can pretty much buy what ever you want of marijuana, hash, skunk, ready rolled joints etc. out in the open. The police raid it a couple of time a year, arrest the dealers, confiscate the money and drugs they find and then it is back to normal).

I don't smoke it, and in the event it was properly legalised I wouldn't start either. But I would welcome the tax revenue!

IIRC you can't be in 'most favored nation' status with the US if you do not criminalize marijuana so it has an effect on international trade

Not as often as I drink.

But sure...Id probably toke up every now and again if it was readily available.

A light sativa buzz when doing something creative or exercising is a great thing. The heavy indica stoning is not. I like getting high, not stoned. Or maybe if we went back to the '70s model, with outdoor grown commercial weed with stems and seeds and we'd measure is lids and all that. Sign me up. But this business of needing four hours to set aside to be paralyzed is not for me. It's not a pleasant experience.
Agree with this 100%. Hyper powered pot made its appearance just when I was getting bored with it 20 years ago. The stuff was insanely potent and that partially led to my disinterest. I like a light happy high, not melting into a couch and drooling on myself. If I wanted that, I'd take up smack.
This is exactly what a one-hitter is for.

This is exactly what a one-hitter is for.
I tried that. The high still felt different to me. Granted, I know jack about various strains and the such, but my experience was it was the same high, only not as hard or long.

ETA: remember, I'm talking as a 19 year two decades ago. I have no idea what things are like now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if legal it could be cost prohibitive - if it's about the same as a good six pack, I might imbibe.

But then, I haven't smoked a cigar in years so probably not.

I don't think it's surprising at all. I love Bourbon. But if I had to contact some shady contact to get bourbon and then risk (no matter how small a risk) getting arrested every time I get bourbon, I wouldn't do it. Heck, I probably wouldn't drink bourbon if I had to drive 10 miles to get it. It's not a moral qualm, it's simply a matter of not wanting to deal with the hassle.

Probably. Not too worried about random drug tests. Haven't had a test in two years since starting the new job.

Where it is legalized, are hospitals, schools, and other workplaces no longer able to determine employment based on a positive drug screen for THC?
I'd think it would be similar to alcohol for most workplaces.

Not sure how the military would view it.

I don't think it's surprising at all. I love Bourbon. But if I had to contact some shady contact to get bourbon and then risk (no matter how small a risk) getting arrested every time I get bourbon, I wouldn't do it. Heck, I probably wouldn't drink bourbon if I had to drive 10 miles to get it. It's not a moral qualm, it's simply a matter of not wanting to deal with the hassle.
this.

My deterrent is employment based. I get tested randomly, one positive test and I'm ####ed.

Even if I weren't, the hassle likely wouldn't be worth it.

I've never smoked weed. I don't know if I would if it was legalized in my state (CA).

I have no burning desire to try it though, and employers do still test for it, so there's that.

Nah. Hell, I barely drink alcohol anymore, so I doubt pot becoming legal would suddenly make me want to smoke it.

Haven't touched it since the 70's. If legality and employment issues were set aside I could see myself in the Summertime with a slight buzz, sitting on my deck listening to some music.

Users who are viewing this thread