What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Austin Ekeler, WAS (1 Viewer)

Commanders agreed to terms with RB Austin Ekeler, formerly of the Chargers, on a two-year contract.

The deal is worth “up to” $11.43 million and includes $4.82 million total in 2024. Another $1.5 million is possible incentives for 2024
. It’s not the worst contract Ekeler could have signed, but it was probably one of his nightmare scenarios when he fought for a better deal last summer. We suppose 29-year-old Ekeler (in May) is an upgrade on Antonio Gibson in the Commanders’ pass-catching role, but it’s not for certain at this stage of his career. He is reuniting with Commanders RBs coach Anthony Lynn, who oversaw some of Ekeler’s pass-happiest campaigns with the Bolts. Kliff Kingsbury, of course, is the actual offensive coordinator. The three-down Ekeler experiment should be over, once again rendering him a receptions-based PPR FLEX.

- Rotoworld

Jayden Daniels has looked incredible in these rookie mini camps, all over the internet

-Ekeler has Brian Robinson to share the ball with, BRob is not that inspiring and has rushed for 700+ in his 1st 2 seasons, he's not that efficient
BRob caught 36 balls last year, inflated his season and he managed 9 TDs, I think Ekeler will up the ante.
With a rookie under center that will be looking to throw the ball quickly, Ekeler as a safety valve seems pretty safe to catch another 40-50 balls.

200 carries is about where he lands, that's not even 15 carries a game, add in the catches and you have something like 40-45+ catches, 1200+ yds total, 1558/1637 in '21-'22
Ekeler is not even going in the Top 30 RBs
Seems like he is value after 100 names come off the board, we're talking 8th-9th-10th round?

Would bet the farm on under 200 carries. 29 year old back who has never had over 210 carries in a season going to a team that picked #2 overall with an established competent RB in the house already, where the incoming RB had a pathetic YPC figure in 2023 and has a chunk more wear and tear than expected due to exceptionally high receiving usage? I admire your optimism but that post reads like copium from a win now Ekeler owner who is trying to mask that they may be a RB short

Would bet the farm on under 200 carries. 29 year old back who has never had over 210 carries in a season going to a team that picked #2 overall with an established competent RB in the house already, where the incoming RB had a pathetic YPC figure in 2023 and has a chunk more wear and tear than expected due to exceptionally high receiving usage? I admire your optimism but that post reads like copium from a win now Ekeler owner who is trying to mask that they may be a RB short
How is BRob established?
205 carries in '22 decreased to 178 in '23

How do you read that?

New coaching regime as well.
I'd keep an open mind, most depth charts have Ekeler as the RB1 at the moment

How is BRob established?

How do you read that?

Eric Bienemy was arguably the worst OC in the NFC, and Washington lead the NFL in pass attempts despite a 1st time starting QB. I think Robinson is a better RB than his numbers have shown. Also was quite impressed with Robinson's receiving work last season.

I'm expecting Washington to be much more run heavy under Kingsbury (who maybe more than any playcaller loves running inside the 5) they were almost 65-35 pass/run in 2023, I'm expecting something closer to 55-45 or so, with a good percentage of those runs being Daniels. I think Washington will try to keep their defense off the field and shorten games and hope Daniels makes a few plays here and there.

I'll estimate weekly:
Robinson-14 carries, 3 targets
Ekeler-8 carries, 5 targets
Daniels-7 carries

The key will be who gets those super valuable (especially under Kingsbury) GL touches. That could be Ekeler, as he's shown success at it, but Robinson also has 30 pounds on him. Could also be Daniels.

Ultimately, I see both Robinson and Ekeler in the lower RB3 range, with Daniels in the lower QB1 range.

How is BRob established?

How do you read that?

Eric Bienemy was arguably the worst OC in the NFC, and Washington lead the NFL in pass attempts despite a 1st time starting QB. I think Robinson is a better RB than his numbers have shown. Also was quite impressed with Robinson's receiving work last season.

I'm expecting Washington to be much more run heavy under Kingsbury (who maybe more than any playcaller loves running inside the 5) they were almost 65-35 pass/run in 2023, I'm expecting something closer to 55-45 or so, with a good percentage of those runs being Daniels. I think Washington will try to keep their defense off the field and shorten games and hope Daniels makes a few plays here and there.

I'll estimate weekly:
Daniels-7 carries

The key will be who gets those super valuable (especially under Kingsbury) GL touches. That could be Ekeler, as he's shown success at it, but Robinson also has 30 pounds on him. Could also be Daniels.

Ultimately, I see both Robinson and Ekeler in the lower RB3 range, with Daniels in the lower QB1 range.
You have Robinson getting 14 carries and 3 targets per game. Let's assume he is an average pass catcher and catches 2 of 3 targets. That's 14 + 2 = 16 touches X 17 games = 272 touches
You have him in the lower RB3 range, which is RB31 thru RB36. With that many touches, there is no way he finishes lower than RB30... none. The last time a RB had 272 touches and finished outside the top 30 was never.

How is BRob established?

How do you read that?

I'll estimate weekly:
Daniels-7 carries

You have Robinson getting 14 carries and 3 targets per game. Let's assume he is an average pass catcher and catches 2 of 3 targets. That's 14 + 2 = 16 touches X 17 games = 272 touches
You have him in the lower RB3 range, which is RB31 thru RB36. With that many touches, there is no way he finishes lower than RB30... none. The last time a RB had 272 touches and finished outside the top 30 was never.
Some of Ekeler's highlights as a pass catcher as part of the 440 grabs he's nabbed in the NFL vs BRob's 45...
101, 92, 70 and on injury riddled seasons he managed 54 and 51...Ekeler is a gift and likely to catch a lot of ball from a rookie QB that will be scrambling and trying to just not take a negative play by dumping it off, I could see Ekeler easily crossing 50 and possibly land north of 70.

How is BRob established?

How do you read that?

I'll estimate weekly:
Daniels-7 carries

You're right. I transposed the numbers in my spreadsheet.

I have it:
Robinson-10 carries and 2 targets
Ekeler-8 carries and 3 targets
Daniels-7 carries

The low-end RB3s were right though.

Some of Ekeler's highlights as a pass catcher as part of the 440 grabs he's nabbed in the NFL vs BRob's 45...
101, 92, 70 and on injury riddled seasons he managed 54 and 51...Ekeler is a gift and likely to catch a lot of ball from a rookie QB that will be scrambling and trying to just not take a negative play by dumping it off, I could see Ekeler easily crossing 50 and possibly land north of 70.
Ekeler has had a great run (as a pass catcher especially) but 50 catches feels a lot closer to his ceiling than an expectation in this offense. Daniels is not a dump off guy at all, unless he's coached to fundamentally change who he is as a player. Rivers/Herbert were very different types of QBs than Daniels.

With a rookie under center that will be looking to throw the ball quickly, Ekeler as a safety valve seems pretty safe to catch another 40-50 balls.

I really don't know about this. Jayden has a strong propensity to tuck and run when a play breaks down. It was a major knock on his profile. Dumping to the RB outlet would be him unlocking a new habit, and while I hope he gains that, there is far from certainty that he will.

I really don't know about this. Jayden has a strong propensity to tuck and run when a play breaks down. It was a major knock on his profile. Dumping to the RB outlet would be him unlocking a new habit, and while I hope he gains that, there is far from certainty that he will.
Even on 3rd and 5+/3rd and long, Daniels might not connect with a WR down field, pass rush coming in quick and he dumps it.
It can become a quick habit for rookie QBs trying to avoid sacks from fast Edge guys on BOTH sides at the NFL level

Ekeler has had a great run (as a pass catcher especially) but 50 catches feels a lot closer to his ceiling than an expectation in this offense. Daniels is not a dump off guy at all, unless he's coached to fundamentally change who he is as a player. Rivers/Herbert were very different types of QBs than Daniels.
I let this comment stew for a few days, but it kept me thinking. I want to run some stats, but before I do, I would like the input of others. I am going to create a new thread and ask for a few lists.

I am all over Robinson this year. Ekeler is toast. 3rd down / change of pace. Robinson will get the bulk of the work.
Totally agree. Ekeler was a great story but at 29 in this new offense with a mobile QB, I don't think it's likely to work out for him. Also I know people don't think of him that way but Brian Robinson was a really effective receiver last year.

Last edited:
I am all over Robinson this year. Ekeler is toast. 3rd down / change of pace. Robinson will get the bulk of the work.
Totally agree. Ekeler was a great story but at 29 in this new offense with a mobile QB, I don't think it's likely to work out for him. Also I know people don't think of him that way but Brian Robinson was a really effective receiver last year.
Admit it - you waited until today to write this, so you could say he was 29, didn't you?

Admit it - you waited until today to write this, so you could say he was 29, didn't you?
Oh that's funny, I see his birthday was yesterday lol. I was not aware of that.

2021 - 276 touches including 70 catches for almost 650 yds helping him total 1,558 and 20 Big Touchdowns

2022 - 311 touches including 107 catches...read that part again...1,637/18 Big Touchdowns

2023 - Chargers go from Playoff contender to Top 5-6 pick, coach fired, dumpster fire, Ekeler only suited up 14 games. 230 touches, 51 catches , drop in production

Was given $24 Million over 3 years, he is likely to see around 250+ touches IMHO, 10-12 carries a game plus Washington lacks a true WR1, they need their RBs to contribute
I cannot believe anyone would put BRob ahead of Ekeler in pass catching, that seems like having a blind spot to me.

I'm not going to have this tug of war all summer long, most are posting nothing in terms of stats to feel so good about Robinson, feels like I walked into a Dynasty Pub
It's actually good news so few see him as being able to out pace his draft spot this year

ADP-109
Ekeler as an RB 3/4 in PPR leagues in the 9th round?
Free 💵 money in Redraft '24

for a guy that looked at cooked as he did last year, his dynasty owners sure are treating him like its 2021. No one wants to move him, has Washington turned things around to the point that it actually boosted his value going to DC?

2021 - 276 touches including 70 catches for almost 650 yds helping him total 1,558 and 20 Big Touchdowns

2022 - 311 touches including 107 catches...read that part again...1,637/18 Big Touchdowns

2023 - Chargers go from Playoff contender to Top 5-6 pick, coach fired, dumpster fire, Ekeler only suited up 14 games. 230 touches, 51 catches , drop in production

Was given $24 Million over 3 years, he is likely to see around 250+ touches IMHO, 10-12 carries a game plus Washington lacks a true WR1, they need their RBs to contribute
I cannot believe anyone would put BRob ahead of Ekeler in pass catching, that seems like having a blind spot to me.

I'm not going to have this tug of war all summer long, most are posting nothing in terms of stats to feel so good about Robinson, feels like I walked into a Dynasty Pub
It's actually good news so few see him as being able to out pace his draft spot this year

ADP-109
Ekeler as an RB 3/4 in PPR leagues in the 9th round?
Free 💵 money in Redraft '24
Most undersized RB;'s who show a decline at the age of 29 usually don't bounce back.

Robinson is 6'1" 228.
Ekeler is 5'9" 200.

Combine that with sources saying Washington wants to run the ball to take pressure off of Daniels and that tells me Robinson is going to get plenty of work.

In 2023, Robinson was better than Ekeler at all of the following (ranks are among 44 RBs PFF graded in 2023 who had at least 30 targets):
  • PFF Receiving Grade: Robinson (71.9, #9) > Ekeler (57.4, #32)
  • Catch percentage: Robinson (90.0%, #4) > Ekeler (73.9%, #36)
  • YPR: Robinson (10.2, #1) > Ekeler (8.5, tied for #5)
  • YAC/REC: Robinson (11.4, #1) > Ekeler (10.5, #3)
  • YPRR: Robinson (1.68, #4) > Ekeler (1.25, #14)
  • Receiving TDs: Robinson (4, tied for #3) > Ekeler (1, tied for #22)
  • Passer rating when targeted: Robinson (138.2, #1) > Ekeler (88.8, #29)
That was receiving related. How about pass blocking?
  • PFF Pass Blocking Grade: Robinson (62.0, #20) > Ekeler (29.3, #55)
  • PFF Pass Blocking Efficiency: Robinson (93.7%, tied for #34) > Ekeler (91.0%, #53)
Given all that, IMO it doesn't really make sense that Ekeler would dominate passing opportunities over Robinson.

In 2023, Robinson was better than Ekeler at all of the following (ranks are among 44 RBs PFF graded in 2023 who had at least 30 targets):
  • PFF Pass Blocking Efficiency: Robinson (93.7%, tied for #34) > Ekeler (91.0%, #53)
Given all that, IMO it doesn't really make sense that Ekeler would dominate passing opportunities over Robinson.
Good post, you gave me something to chew on at least, much appreciated
You root for the Chargers I think, may have seen you posting more recently in the LAC thread so I take it you watch Ekeler a lot

-I bet Justin Herbert did not rate very high on PFF last year and many other sites that rate and rank QBs, I wouldn't assume he replicates his same numbers from last year, that team turned into a dumpster fire at some point and things got out of control. Harbaugh has sent a lot more guys on their way than I anticipated.

It won't shock me if Keenan Allen has a decent next couple years and it won't surprise me if Ekeler who was given $24M isn't given ample opportunities early on with all his experience and a rookie QB under Center, just the way the tea leaves read to me

Ekeler is listed as the starter on the depth charts for many sites I scroll across weekly, of course it's May.

You root for the Chargers I think, may have seen you posting more recently in the LAC thread so I take it you watch Ekeler a lot

-I bet Justin Herbert did not rate very high on PFF last year and many other sites that rate and rank QBs, I wouldn't assume he replicates his same numbers from last year, that team turned into a dumpster fire at some point and things got out of control. Harbaugh has sent a lot more guys on their way than I anticipated.

It won't shock me if Keenan Allen has a decent next couple years and it won't surprise me if Ekeler who was given $24M isn't given ample opportunities early on with all his experience and a rookie QB under Center, just the way the tea leaves read to me

Ekeler is listed as the starter on the depth charts for many sites I scroll across weekly, of course it's May.

Yes, I'm a Chargers fan who watched every game last season. Ekeler looked like a shell of the player he was in 2021-2022. To be fair, he suffered an ankle injury early, and that was part of it, but to me that didn't seem like all of it... I think it is likely he is yet another older RB in age-/mileage-related decline. I was very happy the Chargers did not re-sign him, I wanted no part of that.

Yes, I'm a Chargers fan who watched every game last season. Ekeler looked like a shell of the player he was in 2021-2022. To be fair, he suffered an ankle injury early, and that was part of it, but to me that didn't seem like all of it... I think it is likely he is yet another older RB in age-/mileage-related decline. I was very happy the Chargers did not re-sign him, I wanted no part of that.
I'd like to see what he can do at 100%, that ankle injury hampered a lot of his production but I also think you are right that he's on the decline...but even at 75% of his normal self, that''s like 1,200 total yds and maybe 10TDs

Not to mention that BRob has rushed for 700 yds each of his 1st couple seasons, he's not exactly untouchable.

I think FPros has them in reverse order but many sites have Ekeler entering camp as #1 on the depth charts

Not to mention that BRob has rushed for 700 yds each of his 1st couple seasons, he's not exactly untouchable.

Robinson was also a better rusher last season. PFF graded 37 RBs who had at least 150 rushing attempts in 2023. Here is how Robinson and Ekeler compared in a number of metrics, along with their ranks in that group:
  • PFF rushing grade: Robinson (73.7, #27) > Ekeler (65.1, #36)
  • YPC: Robinson (4.1, tied for #17) > Ekeler (3.5, tied for #34)
  • 10+ yard runs: Robinson (19, tied for #27) > Ekeler (7, #37 -- dead last)
  • 15+ yard runs: Robinson (8, tied for #23) > Ekeler (4, #33)
  • YCO/A: Robinson (2.93, #15) > Ekeler (2.64, #31)
  • Missed tackles forced: Robinson (37, tied for #22) > Ekeler (31, tied for #28)
  • PFF elusive rating: Robinson (64.3, #14) > Ekeler (49.4, #24)
  • First downs: Robinson (46, tied for #21) > Ekeler (34, tied for #32)
So... Robinson was better at rushing, receiving, and pass blocking last season. Is there anything at which Ekeler was better? There are only two reasons for anyone to believe Ekeler can dominate RB touches over Robinson:
  • His ankle injury hampered him last season, but he will be healthy and perform better in 2023.
  • Washington signed him despite having Robinson already, and this is a new regime in Washington, so could be more committed to their choice (Ekeler) than the previous regime's choice (Robinson).
That's not a lot to bank on IMO. Robinson was better in 2023, and, even if you think Ekeler bounces back, Robinson is a good RB who will get touches. And Ekeler is trying to rebound at age 29 in a new offense that isn't likely to be as tailored to him as the 2021-2022 Chargers offenses under Joe Lombardi.

Somewhat ironically given Ekeler's history, looking at all of this rushing, receiving, and pass blocking data makes it seem like Robinson should get the work on 3rd downs, passing situations, and 2/4 minute situations, with Ekeler possibly getting the early down work. Maybe the season will not start out that way due to Ekeler's history and contract, but, if he fails to impress early, he could easily lose that work to Robinson.

I'd rather have Robinson at his ADP (104) than Ekeler at his (79).

It’s probably a timeshare. Who knows how productive that offense will be.

I’d throw a dart at either in redraft if the ADP holds. Maybe both.

Eke has obvious upside, but I’m skeptical we ever see the same dude who scored TDs by the bucketload in LAC again. That train has sailed. And both Robinson & Eke cap each other’s ceiling. A ceiling which could be limited by QB play.

Are you referring to his LAC contract? Because Washington gave him a 2yr/11.43m deal that is easily turned into a 1yr deal with little hit next year if they move on. Washington definitely is not heavily invested financially in Ekeler, his contract is essentially a 1 year show me deal.

Users who are viewing this thread