What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Nathaniel “Tank” Dell, HOU (1 Viewer)

He's like Diontae Johnson if Diontae cared about football and could actually catch. This guy does not look small out there and he's borderline uncoverable with the way Stroud buys time behind the line of scrimmage. Tank plays like Steve Smith when the ball is in the air and Stroud looks so prepared, calm and composed to go along with an elite arm. I own zero shares here and I'm salty about it lol. Sometimes you get burned ignoring the hype coming out of camp.

also had a 58 yarder wiped out by an illegal shift penalty yesterday

I remember watching draft shows last year and he was always one of the honorable mentions or "other guy's we considered"; people would go on and on about how good the tape looked but then they'd bring up the size outlier. Mike Renner (who has since left PFF) had him #43 on his big board and it was a running joke by all the guys who do podcasts for PFF. Like "no way he would return that kind of hypothetical draft capital."

Sometimes you get burned ignoring the hype coming out of Soulfly3.

The man knows his college WRs!
Get over yourself lol, this guy was all over every sleeper list on the internet. I did have Tank on my radar but ended up with guys like Achane instead. For me it was just about how my rosters and picks played out moreso than not wanting Tank on my team. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and guys like Nacua and Tank were criminally undervalued in drafts/auctions regardless of where you got them. Tank was drafted late in every one of my leagues while Nacua was on the WW in most when he blew up week 1. It's hard to predict how guys will react once they get into the NFL, but I'm not afraid to admit the hype was real with Tank (and Puka). Their "my ball" mentality is fun to watch considering how soft the NFL is becoming. Tank is the real deal and Stroud is the perfect QB to develop with.

Terrible call on the non catch on the sidelines.

Could have been an even bigger game. Thankful I didn't need it and don't need to be aggravated by those two calls.

Who has the stones to start him vs Cincy?
So far I’m starting Tank Diontae and ARB for 2WR and Flex benching Lockett and London. 1 pt PPR league.
Since Week 8 Tank has been in my starting lineup kudos to those who followed this thread and picked up Tank and have started him as well.
Gift that keeps on giving going to he one of the best in NFL and locked in for years with Stroud. He’s his security blanket.

Ocho Cinco on podcast with Sharpe said during senior bowl he struck him as different and best WR out there and only concern was can it translate to NFL and he’s answered that. High praise about him.

Noah Brown was limited in practice he will have a solid game when he returns
He's a lunch pail WR3 who's typically been relegated to back up and special teams player. If Nico and Dell are healthy, Brown might split leftover touches with Woods. Looking at 2 weeks of his career and ignoring the rest probably isn't the best way to project forward for him.

Texans WR Nathaniel Dell was carted off in the first quarter of the Texans’ Week 13 game against the Broncos.

Dell seemed to hurt his left leg on a Dameon Pierce touchdown in the first quarter against the Broncos. Blocking on the play, Dell’s leg was crushed under a pile of players. He was carted into the locker room, making it unlikely that he will return Week 13. Dell’s status will be clearer as the Texans test his leg out and hope he returns for Week 14 against the Jets.

Calling an injury (related to mass or force) to Dell a function of "luck" stretches credulity.

Look at him. That's why some people avoid outliers like that.

:cry:

Had him starting on 4 teams. Thanks for the huge assist this year, good buddy. I'll be looking for you in next year's draft.

Calling an injury (related to mass or force) to Dell a function of "luck" stretches credulity.

Look at him. That's why some people avoid outliers like that.
I’d feel this way if he’d got hurt on a tackle after the catch in his normal function. He’s unlucky some doofus in the sideline made the call to try and use him as an interior lead blocker. Doubt that ever happens again

Cross-posting.

tl;dr - Surgery was a success. 6-8 week recovery time, but Texans won't have "return from IR" slots available so he's done for the year even if he'd been able to return for the late playoffs.

Texans rookie wide receiver Tank Dell underwent a successful surgery Monday morning on a fractured left fibula he sustained Sunday in the Texans’ win over the Broncos, a person with knowledge of the situation told the Chronicle.

Dell is expected to make a full recovery.

Texans coach DeMeco Ryans later confirmed the news during his press conference Monday. He added that Dell’s season is over, ending any speculation that he could make a return for a possible Super Bowl run.

A fibula is a bone in the lower leg that extends from the knee to the outside of the ankle parallel to the tibia or shin bone. It stabilizes the ankle and supports lower-leg muscles. Dell's injury is common in the NFL.

Dell suffered the injury on a goal-line running play as he was blocking. Players fell on the back of his leg, causing the injury. He had to be carted off.

The injuries can vary, but as is typical with fractured fibulas, if all goes well, the injury takes about six to eight weeks to heal.

Based on that timeline, Dell could have returned in time for the divisional round of the AFC playoffs, which is the weekend of Jan. 20, or before the Super Bowl on Feb. 11.

“Who knows, man?” quarterback C.J. Stroud said Sunday. “He might be back playing (in the) Super Bowl. Try to be positive about it, but it's tough. I'm hurt. I can't sugarcoat it.”

But Ryans shot that notion down Monday when he expected to get Dell back in time for their offseason program next spring.

“He’s been such an inspiration for our team, just an incredible young man,” Ryans said. “Happy for the season he had as a rookie and the impact he has as a person and a player for our organization.”

One of the issues is the Texans have almost reached the maximum number of players they can return from injured reserve in a given season. Teams are allowed to return only eight players in a season from injured reserve. The Texans have returned seven already.

Kicker Ka’imi Fairbairn is eligible to return off the IR and could return as soon as Sunday against the Jets.

Once that happens, the Texans wouldn’t be able to return any more players from injured reserve. And once the Texans put Dell on IR, his season and postseason are done.

To return him during the playoffs — assuming they return Fairbairn — they’d have to keep Dell on the roster and not put him on the IR. That won’t happen.

It’s safer to just let him rehab his injury and return to full strength next season instead of forcing a return.

Does it bother anyone that he will be 25 in October? That seems old to me for someone who has only been in the league one season.

Does it bother anyone that he will be 25 in October? That seems old to me for someone who has only been in the league one season.
Nope but I don't really care about age that much in general. Until they get up over 30 I don't really care and then even then it might not matter much depending on the situation/player/position/etc

Nope but I don't really care about age that much in general. Until they get up over 30 I don't really care and then even then it might not matter much depending on the situation/player/position/etc
Great QB he's playing with, but 30 comes real quick, especially if you're almost 25 and have been in the league one year.

Great QB he's playing with, but 30 comes real quick, especially if you're almost 25 and have been in the league one year.
He’s only like 6 months younger than Nico lol

It's 5 years away. I have no problem with that. I typically evaluate in 2 yr windows anyway so 30 is a long way off in my evaluations. Too much changes in the NFL landscape to plan for anything over a couple years. It's why I really cut back on my evaluation windows and treat dynasty almost like a redraft in some respects. I think too many dynasty players worry too much about 4 or 5 years down the road when playing in the now and it really handcuffs them in the near term.

He’s only like 6 months younger than Nico lol
Nico is going on his 4th year to put that into perspective.

It's 5 years away. I have no problem with that. I typically evaluate in 2 yr windows anyway so 30 is a long way off in my evaluations. Too much changes in the NFL landscape to plan for anything over a couple years. It's why I really cut back on my evaluation windows and treat dynasty almost like a redraft in some respects. I think too many dynasty players worry too much about 4 or 5 years down the road when playing in the now and it really handcuffs them in the near term.
I understand where you're coming from, but I think every year counts. To say you only evaluate in a 2 year window makes sense. 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, to try to accurately project how he's going to be doing involves a great deal of uncertainty. Like the weather predictors, I'm willing to put a good deal of stock into what they say is going to happen for the next 72 hours ... after that, sure they can project 3 weeks out, but come on, don't plan a picnic based on it.

But nonetheless, suppose you had Tank Dell on your dynasty roster, and you could magically make his body 3 years younger, but everything else is exactly the same. Silly from a practical standpoint, I know, but heck, I'd pay a late first to make that happen.

Five years from today, he's going to have done x number of things, gained y number of yards, scored z number of touchdowns, etc, etc. That statistical track record will make up the bulk of his value on that day, but his age will be involved in that value too. On that day he will be coming up on 30. When compared to 27, that makes a big difference in his value. Of course you can factor in some probability that he flames out before then, and has a value near zero, in which case, no, his age doesn't make a significant difference.

It didn’t really hurt Terry McLaurin who was also drafted at 24. Tank doesn’t have to worry about the QB problems that McL has had to which is pretty nice too. In 4 years when Tank is turning 29 in season then we can worry about his trade value taking a hit. In the meantime, sure I’d take his age into account when comparing his value to other WR’s but otherwise its a non-issue IMO.

Five years from today, he's going to have done x number of things, gained y number of yards, scored z number of touchdowns, etc, etc. That statistical track record will make up the bulk of his value on that day, but his age will be involved in that value too. On that day he will be coming up on 30. When compared to 27, that makes a big difference in his value. Of course you can factor in some probability that he flames out before then, and has a value near zero, in which case, no, his age doesn't make a significant difference.
And in 5 years when he is 30 then age will be more a factor in his valuation. But it doesn't really factor into my evaluation currently. All that matters is that he is in the beginning of his prime and that is factored into value. But whether he is 23/24/25 today really is all the same to me.

It didn’t really hurt Terry McLaurin who was also drafted at 24.
I just looked at one of my PPR dynasty leagues and McLaurin has one top 20 fantasy WR finishes (19th in 2022).

Edit: My argument isn't that his to date performance is because of his age, but that the window isn't open as long as it is for a WR entering the league at 21. McLaurin will be 29 this season. Age 30 comes quickly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread