What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Nathaniel “Tank” Dell, HOU (1 Viewer)

Who has the stones to start him vs Cincy?
☝️

Seriously a little confused why you phrased it that way. What am I missing why he'd be someone it would take so much confidence to start?
I’ve never been able to guess the right week to start him.

Tank on my bench:

3/34/0 on 4 targets
7/72/1 on 10 targets
5/145/1 on 7 targets
6/114/2 on 11 targets

Tank when I start him:

1/16/0 on 3 targets
5/57/0 on 4 targets
3/16/0 on 4 targets
I see. I usually stink at starting lineup calls but have done a good job for the most part of knowing when to use him or maybe it just aligned with my options. For instance in one league I was not intending to use him until Palmer got hurt and Downs popped up on the injury report so I slid him in.

He's been up and down and it isn't a great matchup.
I really don't view him as being that much of an up and down players. A little bit, not a ton. Basically one bad game he did not get concussed or was returning from a concussion(where I've noticed a lot of poor peformances from players in their return from concussion game)

Don't view Bengals as that some overly difficult matchup.

Saying all that' he's not a must start this upcoming or any week but I view him as a very solid start. I'll like him even more if Pierce remains out. The whole passing game has been slumping for this offense the past few weeks and I think part of the problem was their insistence on trying to hard to establish the running game. This kind of game by Stroud will hopefull get their coaches off that kick.

I love Tank. I’m happy to have him as depth. I just worry in an offense that seems to be using Noah Brown (of all people) and has also involved Robert Woods when healthy. I also can’t overlook Dalton Schultz. But fantasy goes to prove that I know nothing. I benched Tank this week in favor of Pop Douglas, who I wanted to see what he could do as the de facto WR1 of the Pats, in a matchup where the Commanders have struggled against slot receivers like Douglas all season. I trusted the targets and the production would follow. Blew up in my face. At the end of the day Tank is the better player and I should’ve kept it simple.

I still like Tank as a top 36 fantasy WR. I just wish I had better luck picking my spots with him.

Who has the stones to start him vs Cincy?
☝️

Seriously a little confused why you phrased it that way. What am I missing why he'd be someone it would take so much confidence to start?
I’ve never been able to guess the right week to start him.

Tank on my bench:

3/34/0 on 4 targets
7/72/1 on 10 targets
5/145/1 on 7 targets
6/114/2 on 11 targets

Tank when I start him:

1/16/0 on 3 targets
5/57/0 on 4 targets
3/16/0 on 4 targets

Football sites should paste this alongside every time they say a player is "boom/bust".

Feels like everyone on the Texans are boom bust. Basically no one has a safe floor yet also can have a sky high ceiling. I hate it lol. Just have to live with it I guess or get enough floor in your lineup somehow else

I benched Tank this week in favor of Pop Douglas, who I wanted to see what he could do as the de facto WR1 of the Pats, in a matchup where the Commanders have struggled against slot receivers like Douglas all season. I trusted the targets and the production would follow. Blew up in my face.
I have Tank in a few leagues and one of them came down to this exact call.

I don't think you should beat yourself up. You were not really wrong on Douglass, he was solid, WR25 for the week. I think he's a solid, ableit low upside, WR play for the ROS.

But I had two things that swayed me to Tank and I'll list it here as maybe these resources will help you on your next decision:

This stat info from this site which I never even new existed until a few weeks ago(and found out from the guy I'll bring up next): https://www.footballguys.com/stats/game-logs-against/teams What I took notice off from looking at this was it was not the slot receivers that had been ripping up Washington, whose secondary is very poor, but basically the teams top wideouts, the traditional #1WR's for those teams. I don't know how many plays AJB, DJ Moore, Londin, Devonta or Diggs for example might have made lined up in the slot but they had not yielded a big game all season to someone who primarily lines up in the slot. In fact Demario or JuJu, whoever lined up in the slot the most yesterday, might have had the most production against them all year out of the slot. So again, you were not wrong on Demario, Tank was just really good.

The other resource that helped me was someone I found about from person on twitter, I think it was from a post from @Faust . He's not perfect, has his misses like every one else but his data is sound and he's one of the few fantasy related people I follow on twitter. He had pointed out how strong of a matchup this was for Tank on a few occassions and that swayed me. I do NOT pay for his rankings nor would I promote them on this site but he's got a lot of great free info in his tweets including a breakdown of each games and it's helped me do a lot better job with lineups calls. Again, he'll have his misses but it's good info to utilize especially when he comes out with his game breakdown article .https://twitter.com/jagibbs_23

Good luck with your future calls. Nothing worse in this hobby then making the wrong calls but full on BB is not my favorite game to play.

Last edited:
Tank is going to get a ton of targets and about to pick up Noah Brown. Can’t see Woods foot issue suddenly getting better and Nico not practicing this looks like a Tank Noah and Schultz show. LFG! 🔥🤙

Do we value him as at least WR2 ROS?

How legit do we see him? I see him as high as top 15 in places. High end WR2 for week 10. Then read Nico has an injury that could be more than just week 10.

He was already causing a who is the WR1 in the "O" during the last game. Usage is insane and he is tied to the biggest risk taker I have seen in a while.

Do we value him as at least WR2 ROS?

How legit do we see him? I see him as high as top 15 in places. High end WR2 for week 10. Then read Nico has an injury that could be more than just week 10.

He was already causing a who is the WR1 in the "O" during the last game. Usage is insane and he is tied to the biggest risk taker I have seen in a while.
Love him as my WR3 ROS.

Schedule looks good too:

Next three games at home: AZ, JAX, DEN. All beatable secondaries. Bump in the road in week 14 @NYJ. No good. Then in fantasy playoffs the TN secondary twice (although CLE week 16).

He's a rookie so he's only going to get better (along with Stroud).

Probably be some volatility, but we know the ceiling is there.

Screw it. Staring at Ridley/Pickens in my WR slots with AJ Brown on bye made me cringe. Picked up Dell and - sort of a crap shoot from there - but planning to start him over Pickens. I need at least one WR who is involved in the offense.

Strongly considering him over Cooper and Mattison for flex. Seems a no brainer due to the matchups those other two face. I’m 4-5. I lose this week, it’s likely over. So I’m nervous about playing Tank over two regulars…

Tank is going to get a ton of targets and about to pick up Noah Brown. Can’t see Woods foot issue suddenly getting better and Nico not practicing this looks like a Tank Noah and Schultz show. LFG! 🔥🤙
Started Stroud (Mahomes on bye) and will most likely going forward ditto with Dell. Picked up Noah Brown but did not start him. Initially was a bit pissed since I was debating on starting Brown over Lockett but with TD ended up only being about a point difference and unless something crazy happens tonight's game should win for the week over our cheater league manager.
Hope others picked up Dell a while back and Brown recently if not and if either are available get them ASAP. Collins, Dell and Brown are the main 3 WR in no particular order except it's clear other teams focus on Collins more so that reduces opportunities. Brown what a god send and connection with Stroud. He has to feel rejuvenated. And Stroud going to GM to draft Dell what a find, what a gem.

Keep reading this morning how Dell was "inefficient" with all of his targets. Only saw a couple of replays, but it looked like Stroud was targeting him deep on some high degree of difficulty throws.

Seems like Dell just missed having an absolutely monster week (again).

Keep reading this morning how Dell was "inefficient" with all of his targets. Only saw a couple of replays, but it looked like Stroud was targeting him deep on some high degree of difficulty throws.

Seems like Dell just missed having an absolutely monster week (again).
Exactly left a lot on the table could have had a much bigger day at the office which is why I have him, Stroud and picked up Brown earlier last week and have told friends who aren't in my league to do the same. This isn't a fluke and gimmick offense when you see game after game where a lot of points could have been added on that's a great sign to get those players, Collins, Dell and Brown seem to have cemented his 3 main WR with Collins easier to focus on opposing defenses. Can't double team Dell and Brown has this uncanny free roam the field look as if he runs without a specified route (he does). Can't see how you'd game plan against that either. If Dell somehow is still available get him now, ditto with Brown.

FantasyPros dynasty ranking has Dell waaay down at 59 below guys like Sky Moore and C Sutton.

Am I missing something here?

Thinking about trading for Dell.

What do you all think is FMV?

Aaron Jones? C Sutton +?

FantasyPros dynasty ranking has Dell waaay down at 59 below guys like Sky Moore and C Sutton.

Aaron Jones? C Sutton +?
FantasyPro’s dynasty rankings are unreliable since it’s composite rankings from multiple experts who don’t update their dynasty rankings regularly. It’s probably too much work for them. Out of the 80 experts that rankings list gets its data from, only 6 of them have updated their rankings in the past week, and only 29 of them have bothered to update past Week 1.

Aaron Jones? C Sutton +?
FantasyPro’s dynasty rankings are unreliable since it’s composite rankings from multiple experts who don’t update their dynasty rankings regularly. It’s probably too much work for them. Out of the 80 experts that rankings list gets its data from, only 6 of them have updated their rankings in the past week, and only 29 of them have bothered to update past Week 1.
Yup big agree on what Lansdowne said. By mid season I usually use KTC (Keep Trade Cut) to get a more up to date view of player worth. It still has it's own issues sure, number one being how (over)reactive it is. But it usually at least gives you a good starting point when working on trade options.

They currently have Dell at 50 in overall rankings, and WR19. That feels about right, probably a little high in the WR individual ranks, but again, consensus tends to be reactive and overly optimistic about rookies. I've had a few offers for Dell, probably the best one was Goff and Thielan for Dell (I'm competing and he's looking at 1.01 next year). Turned it down, and it helps my nerves that Thielan has cooled off a lot since their bye week haha. I'd be surprised if you get a "deal" for him right now.

Aside from his individual production, the Texans are looking like a team to buy into in dynasty. Stroud to this point seems to be in that elite tier of QBs who elevates the players around him. Noah Brown is not that good (sorry owners), that's Stroud and the offense making him look that way. If you can't get Dell, I'd watch their draft this offseason. If they grab another WR in the middle rounds, I'd be bumping him up your dynasty draft board regardless of the profile.

I finally got a Tank Dell big game out of him ❤️

Had been on my bench for his other big ones and started for his clunkers, but looks like post-bye he’s ready to be a reliable weekly stud. Tank passed the eye test for me when I saw him play in preseason against the Pats, and I’m so glad I took notice. He might save my season.

Traded Garrett Wilson and George Pickens straight up for Tank. Stroud already running circles around those clowns Kenny Pickett and Zach Wilson.

Don't even care about his small size. He has lethal speed and quickness. Can't teach that. His routes are extra crispy. Tank Dell gets open. Wide open.
NO REGRETS :shades:

NFL Rookie Watch
Tank Dell already looks like a Top-20 WR and he wasn’t selected until the third round.

Through 8 games, Dell is putting up some of the best numbers in the entire league.

• 67 targets
• 42 receptions
• 659 receiving yards
• 6 receiving TD’s

Dell currently has more receiving yards than names like Terry McLaurin, Jaylen Waddle, and Calvin Ridley.

And more receiving TD’s than names like Davante Adams and CeeDee Lamb.

Dell is on pace for over 1,000 receiving yards and 10 TD’s by the end of the season.

The last Texans WR to do so was DeAndre Hopkins

Picked up Dell and Nacua in a one player keeper league. Gonna be a tough choice next year (can be kept as 9th rounders). Originally I thought Nacua would be my keeper but now starting to think its Dell.
I can keep him for $6 (out of $200) in full PPR in a 2 player keeper. Thinking hard about it. Can pair him with McCaffery (at $66).

Stroud wanted him and they are together off the field a lot, so they have that connection.

He excels when Nico takes coverage away playing his X WR role. Tank at flanker or in the slot is where he shines.

Matt Harmon wrote about it recently,

He’s best used off the line of scrimmage as a flanker receiver who has the flexibility to move into the slot to rip up nickel defenders. Dell is a straight-up matchup nightmare as a slot man who is good enough as an explosive route runner to beat man coverage outside. You don’t really want him taking a ton of reps on the line as a true X-receiver. It’s not the best way to maximize him, but that’s what the Texans had to do in Week 10.

Checking in after that first half...
5/65/TD, seems poised to have a decent breakout rookie season
Likely get lost for several weeks at a time too, it won't be as easy every week as it was 1st half tonight
He's not tall as I recall, pretty small but solid build, super fast, not gonna be a huge red zone target IMO.
@Truebluey
It's worked out OK from where we were in Aug
Wish i had the balls to take him as a keeper back in Aug

@Truebluey
It's worked out OK from where we were in Aug
Wish i had the balls to take him as a keeper back in Aug
TBH he wasn't even on my fantasy radar at the Draft (Sept 4). I need to pay more attention to the Shark Pool!
Same, he was the steal of redraft and dynasty drafts. I just saw an undersized WR without totally elite production or traits and got turned off after so many whiffs on guys like Rondale, Wandale, etc.

Old, small (5'8 with a BMI of 25.1), and not particular fast. The production is awesome, even just looking at his games against power 5 teams. And it's fun to watch him juking guys out and making them look like fools in his highlights. But I am still not really seeing it with this guy. Size and physical tools aren't as important as we used to think, but he looks under the minimum requirements. I hope I am wrong.

He's kind of the wr version of Deuce Vaughn in this class, if Vaughn were a couple years older.
@Truebluey thanks for reminding me of my bad offseason take 😅. In my defense I did come around after the draft when he was going early 3rd in rookie drafts.

NFL Rookie Watch
Tank Dell already looks like a TOP-5 route runner in all of football.

Dell now has more receiving yards (709) than Garrett Wilson, Terry McLaurin, and DK Metcalf.

And more receiving TD’s (7) than CeeDee Lamb, Ja’Marr Chase, and Davante Adams.

Just to think a few years ago, Dell was playing at Independence Community College.

And now he’s arguably a Top-20 WR in the NFL

NFL Rookie Watch
Tank Dell already looks like a TOP-5 route runner in all of football.

Dell now has more receiving yards (709) than Garrett Wilson, Terry McLaurin, and DK Metcalf.

And more receiving TD’s (7) than CeeDee Lamb, Ja’Marr Chase, and Davante Adams.

Just to think a few years ago, Dell was playing at Independence Community College.

And now he’s arguably a Top-20 WR in the NFL
Turns out size isn't as big of a concern when you are always getting open. Can't wait to read Harmon's end of year RP on him. What he's shown so far this season, on top of being paired with Stroud for the foreseeable future, I think he's a top 12 WR in dynasty ranks going into 2024.

I am absolutely infatuated with him. Taking Zay at 4, I'm thrilled too... But then it breaks my heart to think what Zay could do with a Stroud type qb...

Here was our Week 2 FAAB activity for WRs:

Tank Dell Hou - WR

$11 Winning Offer - Team A (now 8-4, 1st in points)​

Team B $6 (Lower Offer)
Team C $5 (Lower Offer)
BobbyLayne $1 (Lower Offer)

Josh Reynolds Det - WR

$15 Winning Offer - Team D (now 4-8, 11th place)​

Team C $5 (Lower Offer)
BobbyLayne $4 (Lower Offer)
Team E $0 (Lower Offer)

Pretty funny now.