What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Ukraine Conflict Thread (2 Viewers)

Just want to emphasize that I used the word “if” in my analysis. This isn’t quite over yet. Russia still has 130,000 men on the border ready to invade. 

Yes , of course any “normal “ person would need coaching. Imagine what goes on with him. I guess I’m just done acting as if everything thing is normal 
I don’t share your same opinion that Biden is completely senile.

By your measure things haven’t been normal for awhile I suppose :lol:  

Well...if normal is getting a nice letter from a dictator...than yeah, Im glad its not "normal".

As far as diplomacy in this administration, I think its far more normal than we had been for a few years.
One of the things I truly liked about Trump is he at least engaged and attempted to have discussions with Kim, Putin, etc. Its open for debate how successful that was but it at least bought us some time and quiet periods out of the Kim regime if nothing else. But we should be engaging these folks. We don’t have to like them, but the facts are they run those countries.

If this were occurring on Trump’s watch we would be hearing non-stop about his failings. I’m not going to jump on Biden on this. There’s plenty I don’t like that he’s done, or not done. But this situation isn’t one of them. We shouldn’t be involved and we aren’t. However, it’s not beyond reason in my mind that Putin views him as weak and that’s why this is happening now. Let’s hope it stops where it is and Xi doesn’t also get more aggressive with Taiwan. 

One of the things I truly liked about Trump is he at least engaged and attempted to have discussions with Kim, Putin, etc. Its open for debate how successful that was but it at least bought us some time and quiet periods out of the Kim regime if nothing else. But we should be engaging these folks. We don’t have to like them, but the facts are they run those countries.

If this were occurring on Trump’s watch we would be hearing non-stop about his failings. I’m not going to jump on Biden on this. There’s plenty I don’t like that he’s done, or not done. But this situation isn’t one of them. We shouldn’t be involved and we aren’t. However, it’s not beyond reason in my mind that Putin views him as weak and that’s why this is happening now. Let’s hope it stops where it is and Xi doesn’t also get more aggressive with Taiwan. 

This was all for show and PR...there was no substance to any of the results of any of these initiatives. 

Well...both the guy before him and after have engaged with Putin.  And every administration engaged with Kim/NK on talks...but refused to give him the meeting he always wanted...and rightfully so.  A far cry from talking glowingly about brutal dictators because they penned a nice letter to him.

When have we not engaged with those countries?  We have...

As for how this has been handled...why would we be talking about failings when, thus far, it appears to have been properly handled.  You seem to be projecting weakness and that these countries will do something they have not done and its because of Biden being weak...if it doesn't happen, what will then be the excuse?

If this were occurring on DJT's watch and he listened to his advisors and was getting these same de-escalated results I'd be applauding him right now.....for the sole reason of listening to his advisors instead of thinking he knew it all and handling it "his" way.

Sometimes we are forced to act, or not act, out of expediency. But China is not our equal. They are a superpower, but they are morally inferior to the smallest free country (not sure but maybe Luxembourg? There’s probably a few smaller.) Any nation that forbids its own people freedom of expression is inferior to us and every other free nation on this planet. 
The Vatican?

Not sure what you mean here.  They progressed further in their nuclear capabilities and shot off more "tests" between 2016 and 2020 than any other period on record.  I don't have a problem with our country engaging these countries....leader to leader needs to come with codified, material conditions otherwise all we're doing is giving them propaganda material to further their position in suppressing their people.  

Not sure what you mean here.  They progressed further in their nuclear capabilities and shot off more "tests" between 2016 and 2020 than any other period on record.  I don't have a problem with our country engaging these countries....leader to leader needs to come with codified, material conditions otherwise all we're doing is giving them propaganda material to further their position in suppressing their people.  
Kim completed nine rocket tests/launches a one month record for NK during the month of January.  Biden’s response crickets.  Kim is on pace for a record year.

Kim completed nine rocket tests/launches a one month record for NK during the month of January.  Biden’s response crickets.  Kim is on pace for a record year.
This sounds like spoiled child behavior.  Kim got so used to all the attention that he got during the Trump era, that he's now lashing out that he is no longer getting this attention.

So to recap:

Russia said they weren’t invading Ukraine 

Ukraine said Russia wasn’t invading Ukraine 

Russia held military drills in nearby Belarus

Drills ended and Russian troops went home

Biden declares he saved the world

Is this the situation in a nutshell?

So to recap:

Putin doesn’t want any part of Joe. Misses the old guy who deferred to him at Helsinki and bashed NATO for him. 

So to recap:

You forgot that Putin called and asked what time he should ride across the Ukrainian border without a shirt.  

So to recap:

Straight out of the Trump victory playbook.  Looks like the old dog Biden can learn a new trick.  

He had 5 different launches.  A couple had multiple rockets.  Of course, none of this has anything to do with my comment above.  We don't need to be responding to any of that sort of behavior.  That's the point.

The one thing I give Biden credit for in this whole fiasco is the ability to pull NATO together.  With the exception of 9/11, I can't remember a time where all these countries are on the same page like this.  Under normal circumstances that would be pretty impressive.  It's even moreso given all the bridges that needed to be rebuilt.

https://m.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-696579

Apparently Russian media is saying there was a thwarted terrorist attack in Donbas.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/putin-says-russia-does-not-want-war-calls-donbass-genocide-2022-02-15/

And Putin is saying there is a genocide going on in Donbas.

Seems like they are building the case for an invasion even though they have no intention of invading.
I mean, we were told this was a rather possible (likely?) thing to happen a week ago.

The one thing I give Biden credit for in this whole fiasco is the ability to pull NATO together.  With the exception of 9/11, I can't remember a time where all these countries are on the same page like this.  Under normal circumstances that would be pretty impressive.  It's even moreso given all the bridges that needed to be rebuilt.
This is a weak take in my opinion.  Do you guys really think Europe would stay silent and let Russia roll through because they were mad at Trump?  Come in now

This is a weak take in my opinion.  Do you guys really think Europe would stay silent and let Russia roll through because they were mad at Trump?  Come in now
Not because they were mad at Trump but because Trump’s actions had left NATO in disarray. 

I think Putin considered Trump’s behavior with NATO, and Biden’s pullout of Afghanistan, and  calculated that the USA was weak and isolationist and that we wouldn’t lift a finger if he invaded Ukraine. Putin miscalculated. Both Biden and the USA are a lot stronger than he thought and, despite Trump’s idiocy, NATO is still still around. Thanks largely to Biden 

So to recap:

You forgot the part where the administration created a sense of panic in the MSM that the attack was coming any minute and then created scenarios about how exactly it would happen. 

https://m.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-696579

Apparently Russian media is saying there was a thwarted terrorist attack in Donbas.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/putin-says-russia-does-not-want-war-calls-donbass-genocide-2022-02-15/

And Putin is saying there is a genocide going on in Donbas.

Seems like they are building the case for an invasion even though they have no intention of invading.
Interesting line right at the end of the article: 

The State Duma presented Putin with a draft appeal to recognize the Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republics as independent on Tuesday.

This feels kinda lazy on Russia’s part. They’re not even really trying.

Well...both the guy before him and after have engaged with Putin.  And every administration engaged with Kim/NK on talks...but refused to give him the meeting he always wanted...and rightfully so.  A far cry from talking glowingly about brutal dictators because they penned a nice letter to him.

When have we not engaged with those countries?  We have...

As for how this has been handled...why would we be talking about failings when, thus far, it appears to have been properly handled.  You seem to be projecting weakness and that these countries will do something they have not done and its because of Biden being weak...if it doesn't happen, what will then be the excuse?
I do think Biden's stumbles and gaffes give the perception around the world that his mind isn't right.  You may disagree, but for God's sakes how could anyone watch him and not think that?  Now, has he handled this situation the same as I'd want him to so far, yeah.  I don't know that his image or these thoughts are why Putin chose now, but he did.  Do I think it's possible it's because they perceive Biden as weak?  Yes.

Why do you think this?  The Korean armistice was signed in 1953.  We are approaching the 70th anniversary.  I don't think there's any evidence our former approach has limited their ability to suppress their people at all.

I do think Biden's stumbles and gaffes give the perception around the world that his mind isn't right.  You may disagree, but for God's sakes how could anyone watch him and not think that?  Now, has he handled this situation the same as I'd want him to so far, yeah.  I don't know that his image or these thoughts are why Putin chose now, but he did.  Do I think it's possible it's because they perceive Biden as weak?  Yes.
pretty easily actually.  yes he’s old, and he studders.  Doesn’t mean he’s “ not right”

pretty easily actually.  yes he’s old, and he studders.  Doesn’t mean he’s “ not right”
The stuttering doesn't bother me, he's always done that.  However, I think it's more than that.  To my untrained eye he's gotten worse over the years with a frequent inability to maintain thoughts.  But I'm no doctor and that's my opinion.  I take no joy in saying that, I don't hate Joe Biden or have any ill will towards him, that's just my perception.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stuttering doesn't bother me, he's always done that.  However, I think it's more than that.  To my untrained eye he's gotten worse over the years with a frequent inability to maintain thoughts.  But I'm no doctor and that's my opinion.  I take no joy in saying that, I don't hate Joe Biden or have any ill will towards him, that's just my perception.
Any 79 year old is going to get worse over the years.  not right implies to me he’s unfit and should be removed.  I don’t think he’s close to that.

Any 79 year old is going to get worse over the years.  not right implies to me he’s unfit and should be removed.  I don’t think he’s close to that.
I didn't say he should be removed, I have no idea on that part.  I think it's likely his advisors have more sway and influence than they do in most administrations, perhaps Ron Klain.  

Not because they were mad at Trump but because Trump’s actions had left NATO in disarray. 

I think Putin considered Trump’s behavior with NATO, and Biden’s pullout of Afghanistan, and  calculated that the USA was weak and isolationist and that we wouldn’t lift a finger if he invaded Ukraine. Putin miscalculated. Both Biden and the USA are a lot stronger than he thought and, despite Trump’s idiocy, NATO is still still around. Thanks largely to Biden 
Well you're saying the same thing...Just in a different way.  to think that Europe was gonna just let Putin have his way because Trump "destroyed" NATO is just an uninformed and quite silly take.

Well you're saying the same thing...Just in a different way.  to think that Europe was gonna just let Putin have his way because Trump "destroyed" NATO is just an uninformed and quite silly take.
Do you think Trump's disdain and verbal abuse of our allies would have helped or hurt this situation?

Biden pulled the allies together and has apparently walked Putin back from invading. 

Do you think Trump's disdain and verbal abuse of our allies would have helped or hurt this situation?

Biden pulled the allies together and has apparently walked Putin back from invading. 
Again.....Maybe I wasn't very clear on this so I will say it again. I think whatever Trump did has ZERO effect.   To repeat, if you really believe Europe would have just stood by while Putin tried to run over Ukraine because they were mad at Trump is really misguided.   Seriously.   That's Trump Derangement Syndrome at it's finest

Why do you think this?  The Korean armistice was signed in 1953.  We are approaching the 70th anniversary.  I don't think there's any evidence our former approach has limited their ability to suppress their people at all.
Sorry I wasn't clear....I don't think they are having a "problem" with suppression.  That bonfire is raging along just fine.  When we go to said bonfire just for publicity and no tangible, meaningful requirements all we're doing is throwing gas on said bonfire.  

Again.....Maybe I wasn't very clear on this so I will say it again. I think whatever Trump did has ZERO effect.   To repeat, if you really believe Europe would have just stood by while Putin tried to run over Ukraine because they were mad at Trump is really misguided.   Seriously.   That's Trump Derangement Syndrome at it's finest
Well then why have allies?  Why are we civil to each other?  What's the point if we'll just run around and help each other regardless?

You're mistaken if you think Trump's pathetic behavior wouldn't have impacted how our allies responded to various requests from us.  But the Trump derangement adulation is an unexplainable phenomenon. 

Well then why have allies?  Why are we civil to each other?  What's the point if we'll just run around and help each other regardless?

You're mistaken if you think Trump's pathetic behavior wouldn't have impacted how our allies responded to various requests from us.  But the Trump derangement adulation is an unexplainable phenomenon. 
Us?  Dude..Seriously.   He's not attacking US.   What the heck are you talking about?  

"because they were made at Trump"? no....of course not.

"because they had zero confidence that Trump would have their back, so why subject their countries to something they have no way of knowing how he'd react"....absolutely.  That's just leadership 101 basic assumptions.  No real conspiracy required :shrug:  

"because they had zero confidence that Trump would have their back, so why subject their countries to something they have no way of knowing how he'd react"....absolutely.  That's just leadership 101 basic assumptions.  No real conspiracy required :shrug:  
Again..Silly...Super silly.  Let me see if I understand you.   Europe is mad at trump, so while Putin is doing what he does, they wouldn't ask for help?  You guys really believe this???

Trump exhibits zero qualities of a good leader.  He exhibits all the qualities of another kind thought. 

Again..Silly...Super silly.  Let me see if I understand you.   Europe is mad at trump, so while Putin is doing what he does, they wouldn't ask for help?  You guys really believe this???
Comish spelled it out but you choose not to listen.  Why would our NATO allies have confidence in any ask from the US when we were misguided enough to elect Trump and they've seen firsthand how unprepared and unintelligent he is?  Heck, I'd likely do the opposite of what someone like Trump asked me to do. 

Comish spelled it out but you choose not to listen.  Why would our NATO allies have confidence in any ask from the US when we were misguided enough to elect Trump and they've seen firsthand how unprepared and unintelligent he is?  Heck, I'd likely do the opposite of what someone like Trump asked me to do. 
And as I said  That is TDS and absurd.  Just beyond absurd.  but hey, if you believe that I can't change your opinion.  It's silly and wrong, but whatever.   Think what you want.   

It's just fascinating to me that you guys are so blind in your hatred of Trump you'd really believe they would happily join the Russian empire as long as they didn't need to ask Trump for help.  Hilarious.

And as I said  That is TDS and absurd.  Just beyond absurd.  but hey, if you believe that I can't change your opinion.  It's silly and wrong, but whatever.   Think what you want.   

It's just fascinating to me that you guys are so blind in your hatred of Trump you'd really believe they would happily join the Russian empire as long as they didn't need to ask Trump for help.  Hilarious.
He literally said he believed Putin over US intelligence.  If you're a European leader, that kind of madness wouldn't give you pause?

Users who are viewing this thread